PDA

View Full Version : Life hunting question

tooge
12-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok, so I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I have taught my kids that we dont kill anything unless we eat it. So, a buddy asked me to go coyote hunting for the first time this weekend. I know they are more sought after for the hyde, but what about the meat. Anyone ever eaten coyote? I hate to think of shooting it and letting it lay, in fact, I wont do that.

tooge
12-11-2008, 02:03 PM
oops, mods, can this be moved to the lounge?

ClevelandBronco
12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
oops, mods, can this be moved to the lounge?

Then we can assume that you're not hunting politicians?

mlyonsd
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Ugh, you'd be the first I know of to eat a coyote. Jerky?

Frazod
12-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I've always simply regarded them as pests. I would no more feel compelled to eat one that I shot than a fly I just swatted.

tooge
12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Ugh, you'd be the first I know of to eat a coyote. Jerky?

Well, not sure. I've eaten so many strange animals (bear, possum, coon, squirrel, deer, boar, mountain goat, goose, duck, pheasant, rabbit, quail, turkey, dove, turtle, snake. Maybe more, not sure). I was just wondering if anyone else hunts them, and if so, do they use the meat or not. If they do, I will at least try it once.

NewChief
12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=205219

tooge
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=205219

Ok, so guys really do eat them. That, or they are FOS. I guess if I get one I will give it a try. I may be shootin kind of high that day.

LOCOChief
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, so I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I have taught my kids that we dont kill anything unless we eat it. So, a buddy asked me to go coyote hunting for the first time this weekend. I know they are more sought after for the hyde, but what about the meat. Anyone ever eaten coyote? I hate to think of shooting it and letting it lay, in fact, I wont do that.

You don't eat coyote. I used to shoot them because they would run our calves and back in the 80's I could get about $25-$30 per hyde (beer and gas)

One year I was diognosed with tularemia as a result of skinnin those stinky bastards and had to get a massive shot everyday before and after class for about 3 weeks. Those shots sucked.

There were plenty (too many) coyotes back then, now not so much. Unless you reload and are a varmit gun freak you're better off sticking to the advise you gave your son and go pheasant hunting or duck or something you can eat and not catch a disease from cleaning.

Brock
12-11-2008, 02:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with shooting coyotes and just leaving them there. Something will come along and eat it.

InChiefsHeaven
12-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I have the same rule as you, with the exception of problem animals or varmints. Back in high school, a farmer had me and my buddy and his dad and crew go out to kill prairie dogs, because all the holes they dig kill the cows...

...but I don't like killing predators unless they are endangering people.

ClevelandBronco
12-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I've always simply regarded them as pests...

You're going to have to be more specific. These pests — Are you talking about coyotes or politicians?

BucEyedPea
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM

What's wrong with not eating it? You could make a coat, hat or mittens out of 'em. I mean they ate my bunnies. I bought a full length Russian fox years ago but hear there were so many of them in northern Russia they were preying on farm animals to the point it was a big problem.

BucEyedPea
12-11-2008, 02:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with shooting coyotes and just leaving them there. Something will come along and eat it.

ROFL :clap: I have to agree.

btlook1
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Here in Kansas they are pests. They are also quite fun to shoot. No we don't eat them. I do have a buddy that tried barbque bobcat a few times...wasn't to bad more the thought of it than anything. Most people just leave them lay after shooting them.
I know there are probably plenty of people against that but think about like this them little fuggers will eat anything including your cats and small dogs if they can kill them. I have seen them in town after dark running with a cat so I don't have any problems shooting them when the opportunity arises. Shoot away!

Fish
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
If you knew what coyotes actually ate.... you wouldn't want to....

They're nasty and good for very very little...

ClevelandBronco
12-11-2008, 02:34 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/zapparulez/Bronco%20Pics%20Elway%20Era/patbowlenfurcoat.jpg

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Coyotes are the most nasty stinkiest things to skin, I dont know if I could stand to try to eat it. I would assume its like coon, very greasy.

ClevelandBronco
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Here in Kansas they are pests. They are also quite fun to shoot. No we don't eat them. I do have a buddy that tried barbque bobcat a few times...wasn't to bad more the thought of it than anything. Most people just leave them lay after shooting them.
I know there are probably plenty of people against that but think about like this them little fuggers will eat anything including your cats and small dogs if they can kill them. I have seen them in town after dark running with a cat so I don't have any problems shooting them when the opportunity arises. Shoot away!

Scavenger birds have to eat, too.

BucEyedPea
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM

We have them running through the neighborhood and are a problem because they've attacked kids. They've even been seen in NY city. In Plymouth Mass a 3 year old child was tugged off a swing by one until the mother came and beat it with a broom. Kill 'em!

NewChief
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I realize that this won't be a popular opinion around here, but don't coyotes serve some purpose as the main predators in the ecosystem?
http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/coyote/p7.htm

BucEyedPea
Coyotes are the most nasty stinkiest things to skin, I dont know if I could stand to try to eat it. I would assume its like coon, very greasy.

You've actually eatin' coon? This is real country man! :eek:

Hog's Gone Fishin
Coyote meat is actually very tasty. At least cut out the backstraps, they are very tender. Here's a website that gives you recipes for Coyote and such.

www.imdumbenoughtoeatacoyote.com (http://www.imdumbenoughtoeatacoyote.com)

BucEyedPea
12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I realize that this won't be a popular opinion around here, but don't coyotes serve some purpose as the main predators in the ecosystem?
http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/coyote/p7.htm

We serve a purpose too, as predators...to keep their populations from getting too big, out of control and thus hard to handle. There isn't enough habitat for all of them.

Demonpenz
12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I have a soft spot for them because I think coyotes and I have alot in common.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Why , were you hit by a car ?

Brock
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM

I think he means he eats roadkill.

Demonpenz

no i was born to roam like my tshirt says

seclark
hell, i've shot more coyotes than deer during deer seasons. shoot it and let it lay...
sec

seclark
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM

i'm thinking that's a wolf...
sec

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I chased one last year on the four wheeler, chased it in circles, chased it straight ,chased it , chased it and chased it some more. When it couldn't run anymore I unloaded a whole clip of .45 hollow points on him. It was great! Covered with mange. It needed to die.

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I am interested in eating a coyote about as much as I want to eat a Coon. I don't kill things for game or sport. We have killed many wild dogs, weasels, Coons, and even a grey horned owl, that was feasting on our meat birds one year. I do kill ground hogs anytime I see them, those jerks are always digging under our barns.

Radar Chief
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I am interested in eating a coyote about as much as I want to eat a Coon. I don't kill things for game or sport. We have killed many wild dogs, weasels, Coons, and even a grey horned owl, that was feasting on our meat birds one year. I do kill ground hogs anytime I see them, those jerks are always digging under our barns.

You mean a great horned owl?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Bubo_virginianus_nacurutu_-_Otter%2C_Owl%2C_and_Wildlife_Park.jpg/374px-Bubo_virginianus_nacurutu_-_Otter%2C_Owl%2C_and_Wildlife_Park.jpg

I wouldn’t say that too loud, I believe that’s a protected species.

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I chased one last year on the four wheeler, chased it in circles, chased it straight ,chased it , chased it and chased it some more. When it couldn't run anymore I unloaded a whole clip of .45 hollow points on him. It was great! Covered with mange. It needed to die.

See I just don't like these kind of stories, it being covered in mange makes it a little better for me though. I don't have any problem pulling a trigger on anything that is endangering me, my loved ones, or any of my animals, or destroying my property for that matter, but I won't kill anything just to kill it. I understand you are a farmer, so that is more understandable, just giving my opinion for some of the responses I have seen.

Fish
12-11-2008, 03:11 PM

You're going to jail buddy....

Legal Protection: Great horned owls are protected through the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act pf 1918. This Act states that it is illegal to harm or kill any raptor species, or to interfere with nests or eggs. It is also illegal to possess any part of a raptor unless permitted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The Act provides that it is unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture or kill; attempt to take, capture or kill; or possess any migratory bird or part of a bird. Anyone who knowingly takes a migratory bird and intends to, offers to, or actually sells or barters the bird is guilty of a felony, with fines up to $2,000, jail up to two years, or both.

Federal "Pound you in the ass" prison....er jail...

bogey
12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I've wanted to sit in my front yard early in the morning with my bow and see if I can take one. I know they're lurking in my neighborhood.

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
You mean a great horned owl?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Bubo_virginianus_nacurutu_-_Otter%2C_Owl%2C_and_Wildlife_Park.jpg/374px-Bubo_virginianus_nacurutu_-_Otter%2C_Owl%2C_and_Wildlife_Park.jpg

I wouldn’t say that too loud, I believe that’s a protected species.

Yeah, I was typing another response and did not see the typo, but you are correct. Yes they are protected, but we talked with the local game warden and he said the fact that it was killing our livestock, justified our cause for the birds termination. We had about 75 meat birds in one of our chicken coops, and that bastard killed about 30 of them. My dad shot it 3 times with his 12 gauge until it finally died, it's feathers are so thick, it would just knock him off the meat bird it was eating and it would hop right back on. We tried to let it escape but it just wouldn't leave. Guess who got to clean up all the dead birds, and clean the coop out, and patch the holes in the floor.

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:20 PM
You're going to jail buddy....

Federal "Pound you in the ass" prison....er jail...

Read my response Buddy........

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I was typing another response and did not see the typo, but you are correct. Yes they are protected, but we talked with the local game warden and he said the fact that it was killing our livestock, justified our cause for the birds termination. We had about 75 meat birds in one of our chicken coops, and that bastard killed about 30 of them. My dad shot it 3 times with his 12 gauge until it finally died, it's feathers are so thick, it would just knock him off the meat bird it was eating and it would hop right back on. We tried to let it escape but it just wouldn't leave. Guess who got to clean up all the dead birds, and clean the coop out, and patch the holes in the floor.

For anyone else who thinks I'm going to jail. Just to clear things up a little more.

ClevelandBronco
12-11-2008, 03:29 PM
For anyone else who thinks I'm going to jail. Just to clear things up a little more.

Don't get too upset. I'm pretty sure they have high-speed access to ChiefsPlanet from most federal prisons.

wutamess
12-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Kinda anal just to prove a point don't ya think? :shrug:
If they're pests and need to be killed go hunt them.

Don't kill just to be killing.

Duck Dog
12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Why would you eat a coyote? You kill them, skin them and sell the fur. The meat is for baiting other critters.

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Kinda anal just to prove a point don't ya think? :shrug:
If they're pests and need to be killed go hunt them.

Don't kill just to be killing.

QFT. Read my posts a few up, I agree 100% with you.

Demonpenz
12-11-2008, 03:51 PM
he doesn't want anything to go to waste, but this isn't a buffalo in the 1800 no one really likes coyotes exept for tree hugging granola people who don't know how shit works in farming world

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
he doesn't want anything to go to waste, but this isn't a buffalo in the 1800 no one really likes coyotes exept for tree hugging granola people who don't know how shit works in farming world

Weird, I actually understood most of what you were saying in that
post..Almost scared me a little bit.

Duck Dog
12-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Then I take it he has a problem with cow, pig and chicken parts going to waste.

smittysbar
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
They are pests, kill them and leave the mangy bastards lay. We run Coyote dogs in our area.

http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/32330/1260029378063415687S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is a buddy of mine acting like he is being attacked. He is one of those crazy funny guys.

http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/29194/1260028984063415687S500x500Q85.jpg

Fritz88
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I hate to think of shooting it and letting it lay, in fact, I wont do that.

Hats off bro. I am an avid hunter myself. I would never hunt anything unless I am eating it. I hope you would do the same because honestly, there's no point to kill an animal for the fun of it.

As for eating coyotes, there are some people that eat similar animals so I think it's edible for some people.

Demonpenz
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Then I take it he has a problem with cow, pig and chicken parts going to waste.

he is talking about what he hunts. not what is hunted (hit over the head with hammer) for him

bogey
12-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Hats off bro. I am an avid hunter myself. I would never hunt anything unless I am eating it. I hope you would do the same because honestly, there's no point to kill an animal for the fun of it.

As for eating coyotes, there are some people that eat similar animals so I think it's edible for some people.

Do you live on a farm?

Skip Towne
12-11-2008, 04:43 PM
If you would eat a dog go ahead with the coyote.

smittysbar
12-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Whatever, Coyotes are pests that need to be thinned out, which is why the conservation has the hunting season open for so long on them. If you lived on a farm you would understand. Only a moron would eat one of these mangy sticking bastards, but if you are so inclined, knock yourself out, but there is no need what so ever to feel bad about not eating it.

bogey
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Whatever, Coyotes are pests that need to be thinned out, which is why the conservation has the hunting season open for so long on them. If you lived on a farm you would understand. Only a moron would eat one of these mangy sticking bastards, but if you are so inclined, knock yourself out, but there is no need what so ever to feel bad about not eating it.

I find it interesting that an avid hunter doesn't understand the concept of over-population, but to each his own.

tooge
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for some real good advice and opinions. I will probably go with the guy, and probably wont see a damn thing. However, if I do, I may shoot it and not eat it now that I have read some of the opinion that they are such pests to farmers. Farmers got enough other crap to deal with than to have to mess with mangy coyotes. Oh, I may be having a bbq this weekend if any of you care to attend.

Duck Dog
12-11-2008, 04:58 PM
You city boys need to stay in the city.

El Jefe
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM

LMAO.

rad
12-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I've eaten a cougar.

Kinda gamey.....

Fritz88
12-11-2008, 05:49 PM

If they are eating your livestock then you should eliminate them, but to go out and hunt the ones that are far away from farms and the suburbs for "fun" is not right.

And there are some people who actually eat these types of animals, believe it or not I know some who eat hyenas..:D

BWillie
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Yeah, as long as you have no emotional attachment to them it's perfectly ok right?

Phobia
12-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for some real good advice and opinions. I will probably go with the guy, and probably wont see a damn thing. However, if I do, I may shoot it and not eat it now that I have read some of the opinion that they are such pests to farmers. Farmers got enough other crap to deal with than to have to mess with mangy coyotes. Oh, I may be having a bbq this weekend if any of you care to attend.
Please don't feed me anything for the next week. I'm wondering if that was ox-tail soup last week or some horse you mistook for a deer.

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
don't eat a coyote. just don't. remember that deer you shot and the guts you left behind. the coyotes eat those guts. Wouldn't surprise me there is some kind of pathogen in the blood that can get people sick. don't do it.

ClevelandBronco
12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I've eaten a cougar.

Kinda gamey.....

How old was she and how many beers did you have?

btlook1
12-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Very well said!
I would guess half the people chiming in saying if it's not bothering you don't hurt it...probably don't hunt and live in the city? They can keep their city and I will stay in the country!