PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs List of Pending Free Agents to Consider?

Hal McRae
12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Did this last Year and got some good replies. Not sure were to start this year. In December of 2007 I was focused on improving our O-Line (specifically the OT's), but this year things have sort of collapsed all-around and I don't even know which areas Herm and Carl will target in free agency, because they flooded the roster with young players they "think have potential" and may not seek high priced veterans. Maybe a under-the-radar wide receiver, i.e. Nate Washington of Pittsburgh, would be a nice option? Also, wouldn't mind Julius Peppers, to replace Jared, but that may be way too unrealistic?

Offensive Free Agents:

http://draftdaddy.com/features/nflfreeagents_offense.htm

Defensive Free Agents:

http://draftdaddy.com/features/nflfreeagents_defense.htm

Kylo Ren
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Tony Richardson is available. I hear he's pretty good. :banghead:

Kylo Ren
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
We've got to lock up Jeff Webb to a long term deal NOW!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Hal, I'd try to see if we could sign George Brett, maybe pick up Amos Otis and definitely go for Freddy Patek and Darrell Porter

Hal McRae
12-11-2008, 02:44 PM
We've got to lock up Jeff Webb to a long term deal NOW!

I'm surprised they found a RFA to rank below Webb....I guess Hurd got the rear by default, because he's been on the IR all year...

How about Malcom Floyd as a RFA?

Hal McRae
12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Hal, I'd try to see if we could sign George Brett, maybe pick up Amos Otis and definitely go for Freddy Patek and Darrell Porter

Don't know about that Hog Farmer, but I'd love to apolagize to that sportswriter I nailed in head with a Ash-tray when I went on that tirade as Royals' skipper in the early 1990's.

How could I get that angry over someone putting down the great Phil Hiatt?

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Don't know about that Hog Farmer, but I'd love to apolagize to that sportswriter I nailed in head with a Ash-tray when I went on that tirade as Royals' skipper in the early 1990's.

How could I get that angry over someone putting down the great Phil Hiatt?

That was You !!!

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 02:59 PM
The offensive FAs are kind of blah this year.

Zouk
12-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Names that fit our model of going after ascending young players hitting free agency for the 1st time (4 year veterans):

Jason Brown C, Baltimore Ravens - he's having an excellent year and has evolved into the leader of that offense. Like their Brian Waters.

Kevin Burnett LB, Dallas Cowboys - not a great fit for the Cowboys' 3-4, but he plays in all nickel and dime packages and is on the field a lot without starting. Having an outstanding season and would fit very well at either OLB spot, but I think particulary well as our Will. Very smart guy - he writes a blog for the Dallas Morning News: http://kevinburnettblog.dallasnews.com/

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Names that fit our model of going after ascending young players hitting free agency for the 1st time (4 year veterans):

Jason Brown C, Baltimore Ravens - he's having an excellent year and has evolved into the leader of that offense. Like their Brian Waters.

Kevin Burnett LB, Dallas Cowboys - not a great fit for the Cowboys' 3-4, but he plays in all nickel and dime packages and is on the field a lot without starting. Having an outstanding season and would fit very well at either OLB spot, but I think particulary well as our Will. Very smart guy - he writes a blog for the Dallas Morning News: http://kevinburnettblog.dallasnews.com/

I was wondering about Jason Brown. I wonder if the Ravens will have enough money to try and resign some of their key free agents. Suggs, Lewis, Scott and Brown. Maybe we can grab this kid and move Niswanger to RG.

Burnett would be an interesting pickup. I haven't been able to watch much of him.

Delano
12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Let go of Flacco's center? Is Chris Chester good enough to step in if they let Brown go?

Zouk
12-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I was wondering about Jason Brown. I wonder if the Ravens will have enough money to try and resign some of their key free agents. Suggs, Lewis, Scott and Brown. Maybe we can grab this kid and move Niswanger to RG.

Burnett would be an interesting pickup. I haven't been able to watch much of him.

We need a center. Niswanger can play right guard - or ideally we pick up a guard too, and Niswanger can be the backup center/guard. Niswanger doesn't move great and he doesn't have the strength to go up against the massive 3-4 tackles that are all over the AFC nowadays. He's a hinderance to our offense. We can live with it, but ideally we would upgrade. And if the Chiefs were sold on Niswanger we wouldn't have bid so high for Faine last year.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Ravens. I really find it hard to believe they let Suggs go. After him, Lewis, Scott, and Brown are all next in line and they can't keep them all in all likelihood.

This is also an excellent year for centers in the draft, but if we can lock that position down with a player like Brown I think it's worth doing.

BigChiefFan
12-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Good teams don't let their young talent walk. That center will not be available. The Ravens actually have a clue on how to run an organization.

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Good teams don't let their young talent walk. That center will not be available. The Ravens actually have a clue on how to run an organization.

You're about to see it with the Panthers and Ravens. Both teams have multiple people that are FAs this year...and they can't afford to sign them all.

nychief
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Dansby... vilma....

royr17
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Here's an idea, Dante Hall is scheduled to be a free agent, lets bring him back, he'd be a hell of alot better than anything we have for returners right now.

royr17
12-11-2008, 03:32 PM
We need a center. Niswanger can play right guard - or ideally we pick up a guard too, and Niswanger can be the backup center/guard. Niswanger doesn't move great and he doesn't have the strength to go up against the massive 3-4 tackles that are all over the AFC nowadays. He's a hinderance to our offense. We can live with it, but ideally we would upgrade. And if the Chiefs were sold on Niswanger we wouldn't have bid so high for Faine last year.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Ravens. I really find it hard to believe they let Suggs go. After him, Lewis, Scott, and Brown are all next in line and they can't keep them all in all likelihood.

This is also an excellent year for centers in the draft, but if we can lock that position down with a player like Brown I think it's worth doing.

I havent read into anything of them trying to lock up Suggs. But I have heard that they are trying to lock up Lewis so that he'll retire a Raven and not go somewhere else.

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's an idea, Dante Hall is scheduled to be a free agent, lets bring him back, he'd be a hell of alot better than anything we have for returners right now.

:spock:

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM

http://i34.tinypic.com/68u1wz.gif

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM

ROFL How many threads are you going to post that in?

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Does the "r" in your user name stand for retarded?

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 03:37 PM

I always thought his name was Rory but he spelled it wrong.

OnTheWarpath15
ROFL How many threads are you going to post that in?

I have it set up for auto-response to Jr's posts...

:D

royr17

It's more of a joke than anything. Lighten up Francis.

BigChiefFan
12-11-2008, 03:38 PM
The cap allows teams to sign all of their best players. It's just a matter of whether or not they think the price tag fits the players skillset. You can always release a lesser player and take the cap hit to free up money. You can always RENEGOTIATE, OTHER players contracts. You can give more money UPFRONT in a signing bonus and have less strain on the cap. There's several ways to make it work, it's just a matter of how much they actually value the players skills compared to his paycheck.

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2008, 03:38 PM

ROFL

royr17
12-11-2008, 03:39 PM

No royr stands for Roy Raymond and 17 stands for my age at the time that I made the account.

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I have it set up for auto-response to Jr's posts...

:D

:clap:

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I say just get Richardson, Neal put Thiggy in the middle of those two and LJ/Charles in the back. Once they have the lead run the rock with those two pounding holes out for LJ/Charles. WTF am I thinkin...

Hal McRae
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
The cap allows teams to sign all of their best players. It's just a matter of whether or not they think the price tag fits the players skillset. You can always release a lesser player and take the cap hit to free up money. You can always RENEGOTIATE, OTHER players contracts. You can give more money UPFRONT in a signing bonus and have less strain on the cap. There's several ways to make it work, it's just a matter of how much they actually value the players skills compared to his paycheck.

Good points. Also, what's the agenda? Carl and Herm clearly gutted this season from the start when they flooded the roster with rookies. Will they say we are still, at least, a year away in 2009 and continue to go young?

If they do, the only free agents they'll sign are younger ones with talent (who will be expensive) or fill in spots with cheap veterans. Actually, this going "young" scam is pretty good for Carl and Herm, as they have a built in excuse for fielding poor teams for a few years and don't have to worry too much about their immediate job security.

orange
12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Darren Sproles is intriguing if the Chiefs stick with the spead.

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 04:04 PM

I don't know if SD will let him loose. LT needs a compliment to his running game and Sproles works well. If they do turn him loose it wouldn't be a bad idea to recruit him to the Chiefs.

orange
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
They let Turner go. LT eats up all the money they have for running backs. All the snaps, too.

Johnny Vegas
12-11-2008, 04:09 PM
They let Turner go. LT eats up all the money they have for running backs.

and its hard to wonder if it was good for the Chargers or bad. Sproles is not a guy that can carry the load like Turner can, but is just as effective when given the ball.

Brock
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
They should have traded LT.

The Franchise
12-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Imagine the backlash if that happens. Just think about all the diehard Chargers fans that would be pissed and become Cardinals fans (because their close).

Hal McRae
12-11-2008, 06:24 PM

I agree, LT looks shot. Chargers have to start thinking about other options at RB and Sproles has to be someone they want to keep...but if does go elsewhere, he'd be perfect here -- A Dante Hall type, in his prime?

Direckshun
12-11-2008, 06:36 PM

ROFL

ferrarispider95
12-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Chiefs already got a sproles - charles

He could help in the return game though, however he will probably get some decent coin as a complimentary back to a bruiser.

ferrarispider95
12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Also you can always get decent speed coming right out of college. We need DE, LB, and the right side of the Offensive line to start.

chiefsngop
12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Chiefs already got a sproles - charles

He could help in the return game though, however he will probably get some decent coin as a complimentary back to a bruiser.

True. No way to contract a RB like Charles, keep him on the 52 and sign a guy like Sproles.

Only possible if they moved Charles to pract. squad, which would be STUPID and he'd never clear waivers.

boogblaster
12-11-2008, 11:17 PM
The Carl Show will hire some ole-broke-down-fuks that won't last the season till they need meds and rest ...

chiefzilla1501
12-12-2008, 01:57 AM

That might be the funniest response I've ever seen

B_Ambuehl
12-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Kevin Burnett has the look of a linebacker in a 4-3 and good straightline speed but if we sign him I predict this board will be calling for his head 3 games into next season. He's worse at making open field tackles then Kendrell Bell.

orange
01-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Any questions?