PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why the Dick Curl bashing?

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 09:16 AM
I know that many would like to bash anything Herm Edwards related, but why are we bashing Dick Curl?

I have always said that fans really don't have enough intimate knowlege of the team to be for or against any position coach. The reality is that coaching a position happens during the week, not so much on Sundays. We can't honestly asses the coaching if we don't ever even see it.

Head coaches and coordinators are much more visible, but position coaches? Give me a break.

Now, the one thing that we can do is look at the players they have developed.

Who here can look at how far Thigpen has come and STILL bash Dick Curl? Seriously.

Even Brodie Croyle was playing well under Dick Curl's coaching when he was healthy.

Tyler Thigpen was a sixth round pick that was on the waiver wire and Dick Curl has coached him into a poor man's Rich Gannon. Moreover, Thigpen has improved as the season has progressed.

I am not saying that Dick Curl is a 'great' coach. Although, he has been a head coach and won championships in the world league, I believe. (on any level, that is an accomplishment)

All I am saying is that I don't understand how he can be criticized when Tyler Thigpen has been the biggest surprise and bright spot on this season.

I have heard many talk about how great Terry Shea was. The funny thing is that until he got to KC, he had a less impressive resume than Dick Curl. And, even after he got here, his claim to fame is coaching an already developed QB in Trent Green. Seriously. Trent Green was a starter in the NFL before he got to KC and was one of the highest rated passers in the year before he got to KC. So, how much credit does Shea actually get for that?

Mike Martz had worked with Trent Green for five years, I believe before he got to KC. Mike Martz was the QB coach in Washington and was hired to be the OC in ST. Louis and insisted that they bring Trent Green in. Al Saunders had been with Trent Green for two years prior to them both coming to KC.

Anyways, the next time you go to bash Dick Curl.... just look at Thigpen.

Because I don't see how anyone can look at how well Thigpen, a sixth round pick from Coastal Carolina, is playing and still think Dick Curl is cluless.

This isn't to say he is a great coach, but the evidence is starting to look favorable that he is certainly isn't a 'horrible' one.

petegz28
12-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I look at Thigpen and think to myself how much better he would be if he had a real QB coach?

Reerun_KC
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Your kidding right? Dick Curl is worthless to this franchise and development of any QB. Gailey deserves all the credit for this turn around and the development of Thigpen. Curl was here prior with Herm, was hired in NJY as Herms Clock management coach and still to this day, they cant manage the clock or timeouts... If Curl was so great, then Huard and Croyle would of turned into to something... We didnt start getting solid QB play until Gailey took over about mid season this year...

We wont notice anything from his time here and sure wont miss him when he is gone...

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I look at Thigpen and think to myself how much better he would be if he had a real QB coach?

Of course. I mean, sixth round guys from no name schools routinely come in and light up the NFL.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Your kidding right? Dick Curl is worthless to this franchise and development of any QB. Gailey deserves all the credit for this turn around and the development of Thigpen. Curl was here prior with Herm, was hired in NJY as Herms Clock management coach and still to this day, they cant manage the clock or timeouts... If Curl was so great, then Huard and Croyle would of turned into to something... We didnt start getting solid QB play until Gailey took over about mid season this year...

We wont notice anything from his time here and sure wont miss him when he is gone...

Where did you read that Gailey took over coaching the QB's?

Oh, BTW. Did you notice Huard when he took over for Trent Green? Pretty good in that first year, right? I mean, he exceeded all expectations, didn't he?

And, in the limited time Croyle played this year, didn't he play pretty well?

Did you know that Dick Curl was in KC until Herm him away from the Chiefs?

Skip Towne
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
One way to judge a position coach is how do his players turn out. How many D line prospects have panned out for us? How many have we gone through? Dick Curl just happened to be in the general vicinity when Gailey coached up Thiggy.

BigChiefFan
12-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Croyle is stellar-what a bang up job Curl has done.

DaFace
12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Is this HonestChiefsFan's twin?

Reerun_KC
12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Where did you read that Gailey took over coaching the QB's?

Oh, BTW. Did you notice Huard when he took over for Trent Green? Pretty good in that first year, right? I mean, he exceeded all expectations, didn't he?

And, in the limited time Croyle played this year, didn't he play pretty well?

Did you know that Dick Curl was in KC until Herm him away from the Chiefs?

Dude?:spock:

Huard did what a backup was supposed to do. Keep the team a float while the starter was out... Did you see how well Huard did when he was named the starter at the beginning of last year? Did you see Huard Quit on his team at home in the Denver game last year? Yeah he exceed my expectations.. Thankfully we had Curl or we would of been screwed...

Limited time Croyle played? How can you get a read on that? Not enough evidence to make a good solid judgement...

ChiefJustice
12-12-2008, 09:44 AM
http://www.costumehunters.com/catalog/08_1_b_837_1.JPG

This.

petegz28
12-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Of course. I mean, sixth round guys from no name schools routinely come in and light up the NFL.

Thus the need for a good QB coach. :doh!:

Skip Towne
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Is this HonestChiefsFan's twin?

Dunno. Check the IP's.

Bwana
12-12-2008, 09:59 AM
:spock:

FringeNC
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Terry Shea was QB coach, not Dick Curl. Dick Curl took over the next year, and presided over gawd awful QB play until we went to the Thigpen and the spread. Perhaps Curl is responsible for Thigpen -- WTF knows, but Curl was a disaster last year.

beach tribe
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Your name does not fit you, and I believe you have some kind of tie to Dick C.

There's no reason for him to even be collecting a check signed by Clark, other than the fact that Herm is too stupid to keep up with the things that any other head coach does on his own.

Fish
12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
asses the coaching

That's really all you needed to say.....

King_Chief_Fan
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I know that many would like to bash anything Herm Edwards related, but why are we bashing Dick Curl?

I have always said that fans really don't have enough intimate knowlege of the team to be for or against any position coach. The reality is that coaching a position happens during the week, not so much on Sundays. We can't honestly asses the coaching if we don't ever even see it.

Head coaches and coordinators are much more visible, but position coaches? Give me a break.

Who here can look at how far Thigpen has come and STILL bash Dick Curl? Seriously.

Even Brodie Croyle was playing well under Dick Curl's coaching when he was healthy.

Tyler Thigpen was a sixth round pick that was on the waiver wire and Dick Curl has coached him into a poor man's Rich Gannon. Moreover, Thigpen has improved as the season has progressed.

I am not saying that Dick Curl is a 'great' coach. Although, he has been a head coach and won championships in the world league, I believe. (on any level, that is an accomplishment)

All I am saying is that I don't understand how he can be criticized when Tyler Thigpen has been the biggest surprise and bright spot on this season.

I have heard many talk about how great Terry Shea was. The funny thing is that until he got to KC, he had a less impressive resume than Dick Curl. And, even after he got here, his claim to fame is coaching an already developed QB in Trent Green. Seriously. Trent Green was a starter in the NFL before he got to KC and was one of the highest rated passers in the year before he got to KC. So, how much credit does Shea actually get for that?

Mike Martz had worked with Trent Green for five years, I believe before he got to KC. Mike Martz was the QB coach in Washington and was hired to be the OC in ST. Louis and insisted that they bring Trent Green in. Al Saunders had been with Trent Green for two years prior to them both coming to KC.

Because I don't see how anyone can look at how well Thigpen, a sixth round pick from Coastal Carolina, is playing and still think Dick Curl is cluless.

This isn't to say he is a great coach, but the evidence is starting to look favorable that he is certainly isn't a 'horrible' one.

is there anything else you would like to say Mr. Curl?

Zouk
12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Fans have an amazing ability to magically assign blame to certain people and credit to others. Only those in the building really know what's going on. But just about every marginally talented player that came through NFL Europe and somehow developed into an NFL QB worked with Dick Curl. Great QB coaching happens more with players like Jon Kitna (C. Washington - worked with Curl), Jake Delhomme, (La- Lafayette - worked with Curl) and Tyler Thigpen (Coastal Carolina) than with the Peyton Mannings of the world who really don't need QB coaches at the NFL level.

But the answer to the original poster's question is very simple:

1) He's a funny looking old man
2) He has a funny name
3) Herm likes him

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:06 AM
One way to judge a position coach is how do his players turn out. How many D line prospects have panned out for us? How many have we gone through? Dick Curl just happened to be in the general vicinity when Gailey coached up Thiggy.

Probably didn't know this, but Dick Curl is the person who wanted Thigpen in the first place. It was based on him coaching with the head coach of Coastal Carolina in the past and having inside information on the kid.

If not for Dick Curl, Thigpen woudln't even be in KC.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Terry Shea was QB coach, not Dick Curl. Dick Curl took over the next year, and presided over gawd awful QB play until we went to the Thigpen and the spread. Perhaps Curl is responsible for Thigpen -- WTF knows, but Curl was a disaster last year.

That is a GREAT point.... and I stand corrected on 2006.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Your name does not fit you, and I believe you have some kind of tie to Dick C.

There's no reason for him to even be collecting a check signed by Clark, other than the fact that Herm is too stupid to keep up with the things that any other head coach does on his own.

How about the fact that Thigpen wouldn't be a Chief if not for Dick Curl?

Demonpenz
12-12-2008, 11:09 AM

:clap:

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Fans have an amazing ability to magically assign blame to certain people and credit to others. Only those in the building really know what's going on. But just about every marginally talented player that came through NFL Europe and somehow developed into an NFL QB worked with Dick Curl. Great QB coaching happens more with players like Jon Kitna (C. Washington - worked with Curl), Jake Delhomme, (La- Lafayette - worked with Curl) and Tyler Thigpen (Coastal Carolina) than with the Peyton Mannings of the world who really don't need QB coaches at the NFL level.

But the answer to the original poster's question is very simple:

1) He's a funny looking old man
2) He has a funny name
3) Herm likes him

It just goes to show how little the fans actually know.

12-12-2008, 11:13 AM

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6333/20831uq3.gif

Rausch
12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
It just goes to show how little the fans actually know.

Our playoff record over the last 15 years shows how much our organization really knows...

The Franchise
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
TinkyWinky

The Franchise
12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
I thought Thigpen was a 7th round pick....not a 6th. THREAD FAILS!!!1!!1!ONE!11!1!

TrebMaxx
12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I do not agree with Dick Curling and will bash this practice until the curling of dicks is a thing of the past.

Red Beans
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Seriously, how long has it been since we've seen a young QB be developed in KC? Dick Curl sucks, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise is diluted. I don't contribute any of Thigpens success to anyone other than Chan and Thiggy himself. Dick Curl should be on the street with Gunther in the offseason.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Our playoff record over the last 15 years shows how much our organization really knows...

That is a GREAT point. Here is the thing. Herm Edwards is actually doing things the RIGHT way.

He is building a team to be great over a long period of time. He is building with youth. It is a little harder, and more patience is required, but once it is done.... you have the ability to compete for a championship for several years, not one or two.

Oddly, Herm is finally doing things differently, and the same people who have advocated change are now bashing him for it.

Look at the offense. Does anyone NOT think that Gailey was the right hire right now?

Everyone said that Herm would never open up the offense. What do you know? We are running the spread. Hmmm.

Fans don't know their butt from a hole in a lot of cases. And, we surely don't have enough data to judge the QB coach.

Solari was a 'great' offensive line coach. Yet, I believe he is Seattle right now. Guess what? They are giving up as many sacks per passing play as the Chiefs this year. Odd how a guy who coaches Willie Roaf is such a genious.

Terry Shea was a 'great' QB coach. How are the Rams QB's doing? They are the LOWEST rated QB's in the league. 32 out of 32. Where is Terry Shea? Hmm. The Rams.

Amazing.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought Thigpen was a 7th round pick....not a 6th. THREAD FAILS!!!1!!1!ONE!11!1!

Again, I stand corrected. I knew the Chiefs wanted to draft him in the seventh that year, and he was drafted before their seventh round pick, but I forgot that the Vikes picked before the Chiefs in 2007.

But, you are right, he was a seventh round pick.

Zouk
12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
It's funny how the credit for Thigpen all goes to Gailey. I like Chan a lot - but ask GTech fans about his status as a QB genius. Go check out their message boards. There he's the magic villain and not the magic savior.

Rausch
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
It's funny how the credit for Thigpen all goes to Gailey. I like Chan a lot - but ask GTech fans about his status as a QB genius. Go check out their message boards. There he's the magic villain and not the magic savior.

Or look at his record in the NFL.

Taking no-name QB's to AFC championchip games who later flopped without him.

Name one QB that made a probowl WITH Gailey and then later WITHOUT him...

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Seriously, how long has it been since we've seen a young QB be developed in KC? Dick Curl sucks, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise is diluted. I don't contribute any of Thigpens success to anyone other than Chan and Thiggy himself. Dick Curl should be on the street with Gunther in the offseason.

Hmmm. Who does the meetings with Tyler Thigpen? Who gives him the gameplan. Who conducts the QB meetings. Who coaches him EVERYDAY. Who does Thigpen ask questions on a daily basis. Who is responsible for telling Chan Gailey what Thigpen says on a daily basis and what Thigpen is most comfortable with. Who is responsible for coaching Thigpens mechanics and fundamentals.

The actual time that Gailey spends with Croyle is a fraction of what Dick Curl spends with him..

It is funny that Dick Curl is so clueless and yet has been instrumental in three small college QB's being successful in the NFL.

Zouk
12-12-2008, 11:45 AM

That's fine. My point is only that Chan Gailey's name on a GTech board is very much like Dick Curl's on this one. I don't think the majority opinion of either board is correct.

chiefsngop
12-12-2008, 11:49 AM
We changed to an offense that Tyler Thigpen was familiar with and used in college in order to give him a chance at success.

We unfortunately are forced to stay with this offense even in the red zone, and lose out on TD's because of it.

If Dick Curl did as an amazing job with Thigpen, as you claim, he would be successful under center, running formations such as the I-form as well as the spread.

Unfortunately, we have had to rely on the coaching and development Tyler received from his college coaches, and are forced to run a similiar system in order for him to succeed, even at the expense of red zone TD's.

If anyone deserves coaching credit for Tyler's current success it would be the Coastal Carolina staff, they taught him how to run the spread so effectively, that he's still able to do it 2 years later in the NFL.

If Dick Curl can coach Thigpen up, and make him succesful under center, thus allowing us to use the right formations and schemes in the red zone, then he'll deserve the credit.

But that has not happened. We simply bank on what his college team coached him to do.

Rausch
12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
That's fine. My point is only that Chan Gailey's name on a GTech board is very much like Dick Curl's on this one. I don't think the majority opinion of either board is correct.

Yeah.

And I suppose we should concentrate on that Coach in NE's flop with the Browns instead of his google of rings with the Pats?

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 11:52 AM

I don't want to take anything away from Gailey. I like him and thought he was a great hire.

However, he has NEVER been a QB coach. Not once in his entire career.

And, if you saw the QB's at GT, you wouldn't exactly think he had a golden touch with QB's.

He was not even an offensive coach in Denver. He was a special teams coach.

In Pittsburg, he coached WR's and then became offensive coordinator.

No question he is a good coach, but not a QB guru.

But, clearly, Gailey's ability to design an offense around Thigpen's ability is a huge reason Thigpen has played well. But, to dismiss Curl's involvement is ignorant at best.

chiefsngop
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't want to take anything away from Gailey. I like him and thought he was a great hire.

However, he has NEVER been a QB coach. Not once in his entire career.

And, if you saw the QB's at GT, you wouldn't exactly think he had a golden touch with QB's.

He was not even an offensive coach in Denver. He was a special teams coach.

In Pittsburg, he coached WR's and then became offensive coordinator.

No question he is a good coach, but not a QB guru.

But, clearly, Gailey's ability to design an offense around Thigpen's ability is a huge reason Thigpen has played well. But, to dismiss Curl's involvement is ignorant at best.

And no response to my post, regarding why we run this offense, and what it costs us ?

Rausch
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
But, clearly, Gailey's ability to design an offense around Thigpen's ability is a huge reason Thigpen has played well.

Exactly.

And he did the same thing for years in Pitt.

But, to dismiss Curl's involvement is ignorant at best.

Which would be what?

His job is to improve the QB play and remind Herm how many time outs we have.

How was the QB play before Chan?

After?

Ok. Who should get more of the credit?...

Big Chief Homer
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Before you call anyone clueless you need to better check your facts. Besides the mistakes already pointed out,Trent Green was not one of the highest rated passers the year before he came to KC nor was he a starter,he was the back up to Kurt Warner.

The quarterback play since the departure of Terry Shea has drastically dropped off.Only now with the addition of the spread offense has the quarterback STARTED to develope.Please tell me how he has developed anything and what credentials he has to coach QB's.

Is he your grandpa or something.Thats the only plausible explanation for such drivel.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
We changed to an offense that Tyler Thigpen was familiar with and used in college in order to give him a chance at success.

We unfortunately are forced to stay with this offense even in the red zone, and lose out on TD's because of it.

If Dick Curl did as an amazing job with Thigpen, as you claim, he would be successful under center, running formations such as the I-form as well as the spread.

Unfortunately, we have had to rely on the coaching and development Tyler received from his college coaches, and are forced to run a similiar system in order for him to succeed, even at the expense of red zone TD's.

If anyone deserves coaching credit for Tyler's current success it would be the Coastal Carolina staff, they taught him how to run the spread so effectively, that he's still able to do it 2 years later in the NFL.

If Dick Curl can coach Thigpen up, and make him succesful under center, thus allowing us to use the right formations and schemes in the red zone, then he'll deserve the credit.

But that has not happened. We simply bank on what his college team coached him to do.

Okay, lets go over this.

#1) The spread is very little else other than the two minute offense. I am not sure if you know that, so I wanted to point that out.

Now, why is it beneficial for Tyler Thigpen? Sure, he ran it in college, but that is only one small... very small part.

#1) Tyler Thigpen is short. He has a harder time seeing the field than a guy who is 6'5". The spread thins the defense out and there is less traffic to throw thru and see around.

#2) The KC offensive line is still a work in progress. It gives him more time because he is further away from the offensive line.

#3) Typically, they get to the line sooner, which gives the young QB much longer to survey the field and read the defense presnap.

#4) It allows for short safe passes.

It isn't just about Tyler Thigpen. It is about a shaky offensive line, a lack of a dominant FB. It is also about the top two TE's being more athletic than great blockers.

It is a culmination of many things, not just the fact that Tyler Thigpen ran this system in college.

I am floored that you actually thought this was a good argument.

Reerun_KC
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Hmmm. Who does the meetings with Tyler Thigpen? Who gives him the gameplan. Who conducts the QB meetings. Who coaches him EVERYDAY. Who does Thigpen ask questions on a daily basis. Who is responsible for telling Chan Gailey what Thigpen says on a daily basis and what Thigpen is most comfortable with. Who is responsible for coaching Thigpens mechanics and fundamentals.

The actual time that Gailey spends with Croyle is a fraction of what Dick Curl spends with him..

It is funny that Dick Curl is so clueless and yet has been instrumental in three small college QB's being successful in the NFL.

Can you prove that this is fact? Or just your opinion?

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 12:05 PM
And no response to my post, regarding why we run this offense, and what it costs us ?

Just responded. The funny thing is that you think you have a good point.

Rausch
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Okay, lets go over this.

#1) The spread is very little else other than the two minute offense. I am not sure if you know that, so I wanted to point that out.

Now, why is it beneficial for Tyler Thigpen? Sure, he ran it in college, but that is only one small... very small part.

#1) Tyler Thigpen is short. He has a harder time seeing the field than a guy who is 6'5". The spread thins the defense out and there is less traffic to throw thru and see around.

#2) The KC offensive line is still a work in progress. It gives him more time because he is further away from the offensive line.

#3) Typically, they get to the line sooner, which gives the young QB much longer to survey the field and read the defense presnap.

It isn't just about Tyler Thigpen. It is about a shaky offensive line, a lack of a dominant FB. It is also about the top two TE's being more athletic than great blockers.

It is a culmination of many things, not just the fact that Tyler Thigpen ran this system in college.

And on top of that our biggest rushing threat was injured/assaulting hoes...

Dylan
12-12-2008, 12:10 PM
http://www.costumehunters.com/catalog/08_1_b_837_1.JPG

This.

LMAO

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Can you prove that this is fact? Or just your opinion?

Are you SERIOUS?

This isn't unique to the Chiefs, or even to the NFL.

This is standard operating proceedure. There is no article I can point to in order to prove my point because it is the same in most NFL cities. It would be like a reporter pointing out that the sun rose today.

If it were not the case, there would be articles about it being different.

But, so that you don't think I am basing solely on assumptions. If you go to training camp, you can tell who works with the players the most. And, if you listen to the interviews with the coaches you can tell who spends the most time with these guys.

Simply Red
12-12-2008, 12:15 PM

chiefsngop
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, lets go over this.

If we were running it prior to Thigpen becoming the QB, your argument may be viable. But it is incredibly obvious we were not and had to go to this offense for Thigpen to be successful.

My entire argument was not that the spread is a bad offense, I know what it is, and we've had some success with it.

My argument was that we need to be able to change up in the red zone, and are unable to do so, because your beloved Dick Curl has been unable to coach Tyler up to be able to play effectively under center. You offered no counterpoint.

Tyler has been better because of the scheme change initiated by Chan.

MahiMike
12-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I do not agree with Dick Curling and will bash this practice until the curling of dicks is a thing of the past.

Boner, is that you?

SenselessChiefsFan
Exactly.

And he did the same thing for years in Pitt.

Which would be what?

His job is to improve the QB play and remind Herm how many time outs we have.

How was the QB play before Chan?

After?

Ok. Who should get more of the credit?...

The point isn't that Curl is a 'great' coach. The point is that the development of Thigpen has been a positive and would seem to discount this notion that he is a 'horrible' coach.

Now, who should get 'more credit'? This is the point. We don't have the necessary information to make that call. That is the point of the whole thread.

I know that Dick Curl spends way more time with Thigpen than Gailey does. I know that Gailey lays out the gameplan but it is Dick Curls responsibility to convey it to Thigpen.

That isn't even the point. The point is that we don't know enough to form an educated opinion of a position coach.

Fish
I"m still going to burn down Dick Curl's house, and nothing you say is going to stop me............

chiefsngop
12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
And on top of that our biggest rushing threat was injured/assaulting hoes...

And on top of that, just got a whopping 11 total carries against one of the league's worst rushing defenses in a close game, one in which we actually led.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
If we were running it prior to Thigpen becoming the QB, your argument may be viable. But it is incredibly obvious we were not and had to go to this offense for Thigpen to be successful.

My entire argument was not that the spread is a bad offense, I know what it is, and we've had some success with it.

My argument was that we need to be able to change up in the red zone, and are unable to do so, because your beloved Dick Curl has been unable to coach Tyler up to be able to play effectively under center. You offered no counterpoint.

Tyler has been better because of the scheme change initiated by Chan.

Again, it is not just about Thigpen. It is about the offensive line's ability to beat their man. It is about not having a good fullback. It is about not having a big blocking TE.

It is also about Thigpen's lack of height and giving him the best possible throwing lanes.

This was not supposed to make Dick Curl out to be a great offensive mind, just point out the lack of information of the average fan. And, you are more than proving the point.

Brock
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Was it Curl that taught Huard the Jellyfish maneuver?

HemiEd
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM

Actually, I have always heard Tyler was a 7th round pick of the Vikings.

Skip Towne
12-12-2008, 12:29 PM

This. Thigpen did shitty till Gailey changed the offense. Chan is the guy who made Thigpen, not Dick Curl.

RealSNR
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
I DO know that he's Herm's buddy apparently when it comes to clock management in games. And I DO know that Herm is the WORST clock manager in the NFL. Therefore, Dick Curl's "clock manager" duties point to his incredible amount of suck.

And SCF, all you've done is show that Curl hasn't ruined Thigpen. I wouldn't anoint Thigpen as a success any more than I'd call him a failure at this point. Curl's slate is just as blank as Terry Shea's, who never had a chance to show his abilities as a QB coach. Although Shea does make a case for Todd Collins, who sucked balls with Marty and Gun and gradually little by little turned out to be a great QB who just never saw the field.

Curl is a shitty assistant coach and a QB coach who doesn't suck, but isn't anything special. Wow, that's a coach to really feel good about on the roster.

Dylan
12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Are you SERIOUS?

This isn't unique to the Chiefs, or even to the NFL.

This is standard operating proceedure. There is no article I can point to in order to prove my point because it is the same in most NFL cities. It would be like a reporter pointing out that the sun rose today.

If it were not the case, there would be articles about it being different.

But, so that you don't think I am basing solely on assumptions. If you go to training camp, you can tell who works with the players the most. And, if you listen to the interviews with the coaches you can tell who spends the most time with these guys.

Gretz, is that you?

running for cover. ... LMAO

blueballs
12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
When was the last time you had sex
what would it cost to get you some

FringeNC
12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I'll give Dick Curl some credit if it comes out that Curl convinced Gailey and Herm that Thigpen would be effective in the spread. Until then, I am going to give the credit to Chan Gailey. And I sure as hell am not going to give credit to Herm Edwards -- he wanted the aerial circus gutted, said so even before Roaf retired, attempted to rebuild this team as a power running team. When that failed miserably and we were getting outgained in games by 300 yards, he for once in his life rolled the dice [knowing that he'd get fired if the 45-0 drubbings continued], and let Gailey implement our new aerial circus, and the results have been stunning. We may not be winning games, but it's a different team now that we have an offense, and now that opposing defenses actually have to play defense rather than just put 8-9 in the box on every play.

This team has moved forward the last seven games because we have rejected the core Herm Edwards philosophy -- an offense centered around running up the middle.

chiefsngop
12-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Again, it is not just about Thigpen. It is about the offensive line's ability to beat their man. It is about not having a good fullback. It is about not having a big blocking TE.

It is also about Thigpen's lack of height and giving him the best possible throwing lanes.

This was not supposed to make Dick Curl out to be a great offensive mind, just point out the lack of information of the average fan. And, you are more than proving the point.

Writing off Mike Cox already ?

Don't hold your breath for a "big blocking TE" .

QB's even shorter than Thigpen have played on offenses that don't lean on the spread so heavily that it even hinders their redzone abilities.

I don't see how your defending of Chan's decision to go to the spread offense proves your point that Curly Dick is a good QB coach ?

By your own posts, you admit that Thigpen's success is formation based and dependent.

You can gain alot of information, even as an average fan, from sites such as NFL.com . You can even research draft picks and such ..... :shake:

chiefsngop
12-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I'll give Dick Curl some credit if it comes out that Curl convinced Gailey and Herm that Thigpen would be effective in the spread. Until then, I am going to give the credit to Chan Gailey. And I sure as hell am not going to give credit to Herm Edwards -- he wanted the aerial circus gutted, said so even before Roaf retired, attempted to rebuild this team as a power running team. When that failed miserably and we were getting outgained in games by 300 yards, he for once in his life rolled the dice [knowing that he'd get fired if the 45-0 drubbings continued], and let Gailey implement our new aerial circus, and the results have been stunning. We may not be winning games, but it's a different team now that we have an offense, and now that opposing defenses actually have to play defense rather than just put 8-9 in the box on every play.

This team has moved forward the last seven games because we have rejected the core Herm Edwards philosophy -- an offense centered around running up the middle.

This is accurate.

Our offense has shown improvement because of a decision by Chan to play to Tyler's strength and away from our O-line's inabilities.

It is not due to QB coaching.

Tyler's fundamentals are still lacking, which hurts his accuracy. Thigpen's fundamentals fall on Dick Curly's shoulders and the decision to go to the spread falls on Chan's.

Mecca
12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Okay, lets go over this.

Is this suppose to be a good argument for Thigpen because if it is, it's not...it sounds like a reason he isn't a long term starter.

JuicesFlowing
12-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Exactly. WTF does Curl know about spread offenses anyway?

kstater
12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Where the fuck do these loons come from?

dallaschiefsfan
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Sensiblechiefsfan = Dick Curl

Terrible thread and horrible thoughts. Curl is the worst. He's terrible. Worse than Toby...

philfree
12-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Judging Curl by how the Chiefs QBs have played since he's been the QB coach doesn't bode well for him. Huard's play the Green went down was better then I expected it would be. Was Curl QBC then? IMO I think peolpe hate on the QBC because his name is "Dick Curl".

PhilFree:arrow:

Deberg_1990
12-12-2008, 05:23 PM
I guess this is the best thing i could say about him:

Known as the “Mad Bomber” in NFL Europe circles for his tendency to throw the ball, Curl led an offensive attack headed by QB Jon Kitna that averaged 360.2 yards per game in ‘97.

Take that for what its worth.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/dick_curl/

Skip Towne
12-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I guess this is the best thing i could say about him:

Known as the “Mad Bomber” in NFL Europe circles for his tendency to throw the ball, Curl led an offensive attack headed by QB Jon Kitna that averaged 360.2 yards per game in ‘97.

Take that for what its worth.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/dick_curl/

It shows Curl belongs in NFLE.

Fish
12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
It shows Curl belongs in NFLE.

Hell yes!

:clap:

The Bad Guy
12-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Why don't we all leave this thread so Zouk and Sensibledouchebag can have some alone time?

J Diddy
12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I bash my dick frequently.

Hammock Parties
12-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Give Curl credit when we have a franchise quarterback.

Until then he's just another mediocre coach who has developed jack shit.