PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I realize possibly QB and DE are top priorites but MLB gotta be way up there...

Red Dawg
12-13-2008, 08:59 AM
on my list anyway. Besides DJ, who should free lance not play MLB, I don't like any of them. We need to get a leader at MLB.

BigMeatballDave
12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I concur

BigChiefFan
12-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Agreed, but I don't think anybody is worthy in the top 5.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2008, 09:49 AM
BAA

Best Athlete Available.

milkman
12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
BAA

Best Athlete Available.

So, does that mean you'd select Michael Oher?

Deberg_1990
12-13-2008, 09:55 AM
So, does that mean you'd select Michael Oher?

BAA within a position of need.

I have no idea what the Chiefs priorities are?

But i would guess:

DE or QB
MLB
RT
RG
C

Who knows? im just speculating...

KCUnited
12-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Lavar Arrington and AJ Hawk are the only LBs drafted in the top 5 in the last 10 years. The average selection for the 1st LB taken in the draft over the last 10 years is 12th.

Its not out of the question and every draft has different players that can change the formula, but over the last 10 years QB, LT, WR, DE, and RB dominate the top 5. QB, WR, and DE and definite needs for KC and should be the primary positions KC looks at filling with a Top 5 pick.

chiefzilla1501
12-13-2008, 10:36 AM
If we're talking about a top 5 pick, given our priorities, it has to be a DE, a QB, or a WR (in that order), and only a LB or a safety if they grade, really, really, really well.

A RT, Center, Guard, or a left tackle that would move Albert to Guard is not an option in the top 5. There is no reason to do that given that all of those positions are typically drafted in the early second to third round.

BAA within a position of need.

I have no idea what the Chiefs priorities are?

But i would guess:

DE or QB
MLB
RT
RG
C

Who knows? im just speculating...

dj56dt58
12-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Lavar Arrington and AJ Hawk are the only LBs drafted in the top 5 in the last 10 years. The average selection for the 1st LB taken in the draft over the last 10 years is 12th.

Its not out of the question and every draft has different players that can change the formula, but over the last 10 years QB, LT, WR, DE, and RB dominate the top 5. QB, WR, and DE and definite needs for KC and should be the primary positions KC looks at filling with a Top 5 pick.

Just like you dont take a RT in the top 5, you don't take a # 2 reciever.

but damn its hard to pass on Oher and Crabtree...

Deberg_1990
12-13-2008, 10:38 AM
If we're talking about a top 5 pick, given our priorities, it has to be a DE, a QB, or a WR (in that order), and only a LB or a safety if they grade, really, really, really well.

Yea, pretty much. There are just some positions you dont draft with a top 5 pick.

This is why alot of teams try to trade down if the top 2 or 3 guys are off the board. That, and they dont want to pay the $$$.

StcChief
12-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Yea, pretty much. There are just some positions you dont draft with a top 5 pick.

This is why alot of teams try to trade down if the top 2 or 3 guys are off the board. That, and they dont want to pay the $$$.
I see Chiefs trading down for more picks.

milkman
12-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Here's how I see our needs in order.

QB
LDE
MLB
RT
OLB
WR
Center
Safety
RG

If Bradley could stay healthy, then WR moves to the bottom of the list.
If a center like Mack or Unger is taken, then Niswanger could possibly fill the need at RG.

If Bradley

chiefzilla1501
12-13-2008, 10:41 AM

While that's a great point, there are a lot of LBs that were considered top 5, were not drafted in the top 5 because the team considered it a big reach to take a LB that high, and I'm sure in the end the team that passed on that LB really, really regrets not taking him. Patrick Willis has an amazing draft rating and for some reason was drafted outside the top 10. I think between Willis, Hawk, Jerrod Mayo, and Ernie Sims, these are all LBs that teams would gladly take with a pick between about 5-10, in hindsight.

No problem taking a LB at #5, but he better be really, really, really highly graded.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2008, 10:43 AM

QB
LDE
MLB
RT
OLB
WR
Center
Safety
RG

If a center like Mack or Unger is taken, then Niswanger could possibly fill the need at RG.

If Bradley

Sounds good to me. Who knows what the Chiefs are thinking though??

tmax63
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't be against trading down a few picks to get an extra draft pick. I don't have a chart in front of me But I remember the distance from say #5 to #10 being about a a 2nd-3rd rounder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

KCUnited
12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
While that's a great point, there are a lot of LBs that were considered top 5, were not drafted in the top 5 because the team considered it a big reach to take a LB that high, and I'm sure in the end the team that passed on that LB really, really regrets not taking him. Patrick Willis has an amazing draft rating and for some reason was drafted outside the top 10. I think between Willis, Hawk, Jerrod Mayo, and Ernie Sims, these are all LBs that teams would gladly take with a pick between about 5-10, in hindsight.

No problem taking a LB at #5, but he better be really, really, really highly graded.

Really. You're sure?

Willis is the only one in that list that wasn't drafted in the top 10.

eazyb81
12-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Agree with what you're saying here. Also, each year is different, and most agree that this year's top talent is a bit lighter than most years. Orakpo is good, but he's not Mario Williams or Gaines Adams. There aren't any dominant DTs. However, there are many dominant OTs, four of which have a shot of getting drafted in the top ten. It's just an odd year, and we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with what happened in prior drafts.

Luckily, there is one LB that is going to be worthy of top 5/10 pick, and that is Aaron Curry. He's way ahead of the other LBs in this class, and I bet most will have him in the elite category by April.

Mr. Laz
12-13-2008, 11:04 AM
RDE
RT
QB
MLB
RG
OLB

Buehler445
12-13-2008, 11:49 AM

QB
LDE
MLB
RT
OLB
WR
Center
Safety
RG

If Bradley

I'd put RG after RT.

OLB - while certainly a position of need, I think Williams can be OK with some coaching, and DJ is obviously there for another year at least.

WR - While we don't have Fitzgerald and Boldin, I don't think that is really a huge need. What we have in Franklin and Bradley I think is servicable for another year. Webb hopefully is off like a prom dress.

Center - Niswanger is OK there. Not good by any means, but OK. I agree with you though, if we can get a decent center, he'd play well at RG, and that would completely move it off of the list, exempting depth that we need.

Saftey - Gawddamnit this is hard to tell due the shitty all around play of the D. These guys might be OK with a decent coach, scheme and front 7. It's just too hard to tell.

Mecca
12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd hope you guys would have a different view on the WR front if this class had an elite player in it.

Buehler445
12-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey, MM, what are your thoughts on Richardson? Is the fact that he hasn't played much damning or are our coaches dumb?

L.A. Chieffan
NOT WR, if Stafford somehow is available you grab him and thank your lucky fuckin stars, then best DE. LBs after that

Buehler445
I'd hope you guys would have a different view on the WR front if this class had an elite player in it.

I just don't want to be like Detroit...

Mecca
12-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Detroits best player is the last WR they took, if Calvin Johnson was in this class there is no way this team should be even thinking about passing.

L.A. Chieffan
12-13-2008, 11:56 AM

We pretty much got lucky with Bowe. WRs arent that important and they have a HUGE bust rate. Forget EVER drafting a WR in the 1st round unless the rest of your team is stacked and the guy is Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice's mutant son or something

Mecca
12-13-2008, 11:59 AM
We pretty much got lucky with Bowe. WRs arent that important and they have a HUGE bust rate. Forget EVER drafting a WR in the 1st round unless the rest of your team is stacked and the guy is Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice's mutant son or something

This draft has the potential to not go well at all...these positions people want involve guys that aren't elite prospects or guys who play devalued positions.

chiefzilla1501
12-13-2008, 12:03 PM
This draft has the potential to not go well at all...these positions people want involve guys that aren't elite prospects or guys who play devalued positions.

I definitely agree. Unfortunately for us, the best players are either guys who usually go in the bottom half of the top 10 to #20, or a left tackle.

However, this draft is really loaded in the 2nd and 3rd round, in my opinion.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2008, 12:11 PM

Um...in case you havent noticed, we are already like them.

Sorry to break that to ya...

Mecca
12-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Um...in case you havent noticed, we are already like them.

Sorry to break that to ya...

Detroit used the what 11th pick on a non pass rushing LB in Ernie Sims I see he really turned their defense around right?

milkman
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, MM, what are your thoughts on Richardson? Is the fact that he hasn't played much damning or are our coaches dumb?

I don't really know what to make of that situation.

For Richardson the concern was lack of motivation, and that may be the problem.

However, I find it difficult to believe that even with the questions surrounding him that he could be any worse in pass protect than McGinatosh has been, and I know that he is a far better run blocker.

I still believe that it goes back to what I thought before the season started.

Herman fucking Edwards' committment to the youth movement only extends so far.

I think he believes the line is better off with a second experienced player (along with Waters) than it would be with 3 new starters along the line.

In short, while it may not be the only factor, incompetency plays a part.

googlegoogle
12-13-2008, 08:32 PM
BAA = Gtech Michael Johnson. Mayock says he's a project.

KCChiefsMan
12-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd vote to trade down and grab one of them linebackers

KChiefs1
12-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Everyone has to remember to make a tradedown you need a team wanting to tradeup.

beach tribe
12-14-2008, 12:38 AM

QB
LDE
MLB
RT
OLB
WR
Center
Safety
RG

If Bradley

Not trying to be ticky tack, but I think you mean RDE.

CupidStunt
12-14-2008, 03:43 AM
It'd be nice if every thread wasn't turned in to a "we must draft Stafford, he is teh awesome!!!11!" by retarded fan boys.

OP: YES, MLB is way up there. Whether it's a free agent, trade, first-, second- or even later-round pick, yes - MLB is a big need.

milkman
12-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Not trying to be ticky tack, but I think you mean RDE.

No, youre right, and I honestly appreciate you catching my mistake.

milkman
12-14-2008, 07:28 AM
It'd be nice if every thread wasn't turned in to a "we must draft Stafford, he is teh awesome!!!11!" by retarded fan boys.

OP: YES, MLB is way up there. Whether it's a free agent, trade, first-, second- or even later-round pick, yes - MLB is a big need.

And up until this post, no one has specifically mentioned Stafford.

patteeu
12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
And up until this post, no one has specifically mentioned Stafford.

He was mentioned in passing in post 22.

Mr. Laz
12-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Everyone has to remember to make a tradedown you need a team wanting to tradeup.
thanks for the info Carl!!!!

Mr. Laz
12-14-2008, 11:28 AM

shut up, goatchief

CupidStunt
12-14-2008, 11:51 AM
shut up, goatchief

Are you sure you don't want to start a new thread for that brilliant new thought?

whoman69
12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
This team has so many holes its like a thrice used condom.

Gravedigger
12-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm a huge Matt Stafford fan but with the way we're winning we might be looking at a 6 or 7 pick if we win today and against either Miami or Cincy. With a number 6 or 7 pick neither Bradford nor Stafford will be there, BUT Ray Maluaga will be and in that case F Orakpo, I say we jump on RayRay.

KChiefs1
12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Maualuga backing up Dorsey would make it difficult for teams to run on the Chiefs.

Oh Snap
12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
todays commentators for the chiefs game said Herm said that DJ will be the starting MLB for next year...