PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any Sports Cards collectors out there?

Coach
12-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Anybody? Just happened to run into some cards that I would like a quote if you happen to have a pricing sheet....

Johnny Vegas
12-14-2008, 12:05 AM
what do you need?

Coach
12-14-2008, 12:13 AM
1993 Pro Line Profiles Joe Montana #559
1998 Press Pass Head Butt Die Cuts #HB1 Peyton Manning
1995-1996 Fleer Total D #3 Michael Jordan Graded 10

Johnny Vegas
12-14-2008, 12:21 AM
1993 Pro Line Profiles Joe Montana #559 --- $0.75
1998 Press Pass Head Butt Die Cuts #HB1 Peyton Manning --- $30
1995-1996 Fleer Total D #3 Michael Jordan Graded 10 --- I don't have a beckett for basketball.

Coach
12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
1993 Pro Line Profiles Joe Montana #559 --- $0.75
1998 Press Pass Head Butt Die Cuts #HB1 Peyton Manning --- $30
1995-1996 Fleer Total D #3 Michael Jordan Graded 10 --- I don't have a beckett for basketball.

Damn, I got ripped off on the Montana card (Bought it for 2 bucks, but the Manning card pretty much more than made up of it, since I bought it for 8 bucks.

As for the Jordan card, I bought that for 15. I figured it had to be worth more than that, especially a mint condition/graded 10.

Johnny Vegas
12-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Damn, I got ripped off on the Montana card (Bought it for 2 bucks, but the Manning card pretty much more than made up of it, since I bought it for 8 bucks.

As for the Jordan card, I bought that for 15. I figured it had to be worth more than that, especially a mint condition/graded 10.

back in 93 though that Montana was worth way more. Hey he's wearing a Chiefs uni anyways so its all good. The Manning is good. Even better that its a die cut. the die cut put a 1.5 multiplier so the non die cut is booked at $20. The Jordan is good, too. 10 grade is tough to get. Did PSA grade it?

Coach
12-14-2008, 12:31 AM
back in 93 though that Montana was worth way more. Hey he's wearing a Chiefs uni anyways so its all good. The Manning is good. Even better that its a die cut. the die cut put a 1.5 multiplier so the non die cut is booked at $20. The Jordan is good, too. 10 grade is tough to get. Did PSA grade it?

Didn't say PSA on it, but a BCCG.

Johnny Vegas
12-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Didn't say PSA on it, but a BCCG.

thats beckett. becket has a few different branches. BCCG is more affordable to grade, takes longer, but also graded 10's are higher in population.

EyePod
12-14-2008, 07:34 AM
I use eBay to check my cards. It gives you a rough idea without making you buy Becketts.

JuicesFlowing
12-14-2008, 07:37 AM
What's a George Brett rookie card going for these days? I stopped collecting years ago, but I always wanted the George Brett rookie.

EyePod
12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
What's a George Brett rookie card going for these days? I stopped collecting years ago, but I always wanted the George Brett rookie.

1975 Topps Baseball George Brett Rookie Card BGS BCCG 9

$139.49

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Topps-Baseball-George-Brett-Rookie-Card-BGS-BCCG-9_W0QQitemZ320303530471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item320303530471&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

That's the most expensive one I found on eBay

Coach
08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Just subscribed for a month of Beckett all sports cards (Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc.) and for those who are curious to know what card(s) you have is worth, let me know.

And on a side note, I was very suprised to see a 2002 Upper Deck XL #366 Dan Kreider RC for $12.00. (For those who don't know who he is, he's a FB for the Steelers)

Molitoth
08-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I have over 500 different Barry Sanders cards sitting here.
Back before he retired I had them priced out in the $5-6k range...
After he retired early I think all of them fell really far, so it may be many years before they go back up in value.

I stopped collecting around 1996, so I'm out of the loop.

BigRedChief
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
A couple of months ago I came across a card with 5 game used bats, jerseys on it from Albert Pujols, Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock and Roger Hornsby. It's all on one long card that spells out CARDS with the memorbillia inside the letters of CARDS. Really cool.

Stewie
08-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Cool! I'm not a card collector but I have some framed photos with cards under glass.

Marcus Allen - Fleer Ultra - Don't know year, but he's running the ball against the Steelers, if that helps.

Ken Griffey, Jr. - 1993 All-Star Card (Upper Deck)

Nolan Ryan - Official Retirement Card

Kirby Puckett - Gold Leaf Card. This is my favorite.

I can remove cards from under glass if you think any are worth the effort.

Gonzo
08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I have this card...
How much?
Last I looked it was 12 bucks.
1982 BTW
http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/117/039/09F.jpg

Molitoth
08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Most of the framed stuff that you could buy at a card shop or store is not worth anything.

The cards that are worth the money are your grandpa's that are sitting in an old trunk unknown... or they are already in collectors hands in a case with an expensive price tag on it.

Bill Lundberg
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Anyone know what the Derrick Thomas ProSet Rookie card goes for?

Sofa King
08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
i have a few Brett Favre rookie cards... i'm assuming the value is a little low on those now...

Stewie
08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Most of the framed stuff that you could buy at a card shop or store is not worth anything.

The cards that are worth the money are your grandpa's that are sitting in an old trunk unknown... or they are already in collectors hands in a case with an expensive price tag on it.

If you're referring to my cards they did not come framed. They're cards that a friend made into wall hangings with pictures of the players.

Molitoth
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
If you're referring to my cards they did not come framed. They're cards that a friend made into wall hangings with pictures of the players.

Oh. :D

ziggysocki
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I have the 89 Upper Deck #1 Griffey rookie. Back in the day (93-96) I bought and sold a few of those in the 80 - 120 range. Worth anything now?

Coach
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Cool! I'm not a card collector but I have some framed photos with cards under glass.

Marcus Allen - Fleer Ultra - Don't know year, but he's running the ball against the Steelers, if that helps.

Ken Griffey, Jr. - 1993 All-Star Card (Upper Deck)

Nolan Ryan - Official Retirement Card

Kirby Puckett - Gold Leaf Card. This is my favorite.

I can remove cards from under glass if you think any are worth the effort.

I just need the year and the card number. That'd help narrow down my search.

Coach
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I have this card...
How much?
Last I looked it was 12 bucks.
1982 BTW
http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/117/039/09F.jpg

It's 12. Of course, it also depends how well conditioned the card is. If it's Mint, it's 15.

Coach
08-14-2009, 12:35 PM

1989 - $1.88

Coach
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
i have a few Brett Favre rookie cards... i'm assuming the value is a little low on those now...

You never know. Typically RC's are more expensive than a card, unless it has special stuff on it (I.E. Holographix, autographed, etc.)

Coach
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I have the 89 Upper Deck #1 Griffey rookie. Back in the day (93-96) I bought and sold a few of those in the 80 - 120 range. Worth anything now?

$50.00

BigRedChief
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
$60, maybe.

I have a Griffey Jr topps card worth about $1.25 but I could sell it for $200 easily. Why? It has the desert storm gold emblem on it. Topps gave these sets/cards out to the troops in desert storm for free. Pretty limited run to start with and then a lot didn't make it back or got destroyed/bent etc in war.

Also got a Griffey signed game used jersey, signed baseball bat and ball.

Buck
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I always felt like the Beckett guides gave a higher price than you could actually get. Usually by about 25% or so.

HemiEd
08-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I have a John Tait rookie card, saving it for when I retire.

Fish
08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I still have some of my old Garbage Pail Kids cards..... they've got to be worth a fortune...

Gonzo
08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
It's 12. Of course, it also depends how well conditioned the card is. If it's Mint, it's 15.

Figured it would have gone up in value since I last checked, (7 years ago) guess not.

Saulbadguy
08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I've got about 1000 cards unsorted, no idea what i've got. Makes me wonder if I have anything worth a damn.

ziggysocki
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Ebay has really killed the market on cards. Stuff that used to be kinda hard to find, you can now find in mass quantities. Most of the stuff that the guides used to have at 10-20 range are now basically commons. Just my observation... could be wrong, I have been know to do that.

58kcfan89
08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I've got about 1000 cards unsorted, no idea what i've got. Makes me wonder if I have anything worth a damn.

Same here. I collected as a kid & have them all in boxes & books, but don't think I really have a whole lot that's worthwhile. I've been thinking about getting back into collecting when I'm done at K-State to pick up a "new" hobby.

When I was little, I would always trade the Raider cards for Chiefs, didn't really care who they were, I just wanted as much red & as little black/silver in my collection.

KC2004
08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
2003-04 Dwayne Wade Topps Chrome Refractor RC #115

Thanks

DTLB58
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM

My online Beckett guide list the 1989 Proset #498 DT RC for $1.50

DT's Score card #258 is $8.00 it's always been "the" RC to have, although it's never really had a huge value to it.

I have been collecting DT cards since the early 90's and have 575 different ones. Beckett lists 852 total as of today.

They are getting harder and harder to come by. Pretty much the only way I have added to my collection in the last 5 years is e-bay,e-bay and more e-bay.

I go to all the sports card shows in Iowa and they just look at me like I'm goofy when I ask for DT cards, athough in 2006 DonRuss and The Absolute collection came out with quite a lot more of his adding GU cards, which IMO are just awesome.

DTLB58
08-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Ebay has really killed the market on cards. Stuff that used to be kinda hard to find, you can now find in mass quantities. Most of the stuff that the guides used to have at 10-20 range are now basically commons. Just my observation... could be wrong, I have been know to do that.

E-bay hasn't killed the market, it has just made it easier for someone in Iowa like me to obtain a card from someone that lives a lot farther away, like on the coasts.

If it weren't for e-bay my DT card collection would be half or less of the 575 different cards that I have.

What has killed the market is that the card companies are producing mass #'s of the cards they are making. Even the new GU's memoribilla cards they are making so many of common and some star players you can't give them away. I know I have tried at card shows and the dealers tell me so all the time.

Priest31kc
08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I used to being a big time card collector when i was in grade school. I have over 350 Ken Griffey Jr. cards. I always used to go to these card shows or whatever every weekend at this mall in Georgia and just buy a bunch of individual cards, thats the best way, even though buying a pack and opening them is fun.

easymobee
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I have one good haul.

when i was 12 i bought another kids Cal Ripken rookie card for 5o cents.

He had a price guide, but we were both young and stupid and were looking at the wrong year of topps (1 yr off). The next year was for an Eddie Murray card and it was valued at 50 cents, he just figured that the price guide had misprinted the name and failed to recognize that we ( espescially he ) were just idiots who couldnt read a price guide correctly.

quick ebay search shows a buy it now of 399.00, i prefer to keep it until im 90 yrs old and its in the Honus Wagner age range, then ill buy a bunch of efferdent and prunes with the proceeds.

My Uncle went apeshit on cards in the early 90s, has every Shaq, Arod, Jeter, etc... rookie you can think of.

He pulled a card for Marshall Faulk that, if he won Rookie of the Year he could redeem it for a signed football (in plexiglass) They had a card for all the rooks that year. He won it and my uncle got the football, i was disappointed that he sold it to a local card shop all of 10 days after getting it. He did ok though, he traded it for a handful of unopened fleer basketball packs from the 80's ( the one year that had all the great rookies ) He got a Stockton rookie, a Ewing Rookie, and a Jordan (dumb luck) rook for his troubles.

The_Grand_Illusion
08-14-2009, 07:17 PM
E-bay hasn't killed the market, it has just made it easier for someone in Iowa like me to obtain a card from someone that lives a lot farther away, like on the coasts.

If it weren't for e-bay my DT card collection would be half or less of the 575 different cards that I have.

What has killed the market is that the card companies are producing mass #'s of the cards they are making. Even the new GU's memoribilla cards they are making so many of common and some star players you can't give them away. I know I have tried at card shows and the dealers tell me so all the time.

Ebay is getting killed by a site called www.checkoutmycards.com as far as the single sportscard market goes. It's a fulfillment center much like Amazon so to sell you have to send the cards to them and they list them for you for a reasonable fee. The beauty of COMC's having all the seller's inventory is a buyer can buy from many different sellers and pay combined shipping for all of their cards purchased since COMC has the cards and does all the shipping as well. It's a unique concept and they already boast 767,000 single sportscards whiile Ebay only has 436,000. They are growing very fast.

CoMoChief
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
My grandfather in his attic, in a box has a whole bunch of original babe ruth, lou gehrig and mickey mantle cards. Some of those have to be worth a lot.

L.A. Chieffan
08-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I have over 500 different Barry Sanders cards sitting here.
Back before he retired I had them priced out in the $5-6k range...
After he retired early I think all of them fell really far, so it may be many years before they go back up in value.

I stopped collecting around 1996, so I'm out of the loop.

Could you check Baseball, 1952 Topps #311 PSA Grade 8 please?

KCChiefsMan
08-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I had a major problem with sports cards about 12 years ago, would spend my entire paychecks on them.

Gonzo
08-26-2009, 09:10 AM
So, a buddy of mine just gave me a Bart Starr autographed football in perfect condition.
Any idea how much it's worth?

Param
08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
So, a buddy of mine just gave me a Bart Starr autographed football in perfect condition.
Any idea how much it's worth?

What year is the football? Is it an NFL licensed football? Auto real or fake? The guy is still alive. Also, I don't know this but did Bart Starr sign millions of autographs or was he the type of guy who would never sign anything.

Param
08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Anybody? Just happened to run into some cards that I would like a quote if you happen to have a pricing sheet....

I collect still though not as much as I used to. Mainly because the cards that are "worth" anything will be like an auto, patch with a logo or letter, # to 10.

Sports card collecting is pretty expensive these days.

MOhillbilly
08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
WHATS THE 84 & 85 TOPPS BASEBALL SET WORTH? 86 TRADED SET?

Param
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
WHATS THE 84 & 85 TOPPS BASEBALL SET WORTH? 86 TRADED SET?

Not much for the 86 traded set. Are the 84 & 85 tops set sealed or did you put it together? If it was a set you put together I would pull the Clemens, Puckett, etc and stick it in a firebox or safe. Put them in a case of'course. Same goes for the 86 traded set.

The main problem with sports card collecting a lot of the older cards tanked or never raised heavily in value because of all these "flashy" new cards you have out the past 10 years. graded cards certainly don't help the collecting as well, but I see why it's out there. I personally do not grade my cards because I know what I'm looking at and I believe the grading system is somewhat of a scam anyway. I'm not selling mine so there's no reason to send it off, pay x amount of money to have it graded.

Gonzo
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
What year is the football? Is it an NFL licensed football? Auto real or fake? The guy is still alive. Also, I don't know this but did Bart Starr sign millions of autographs or was he the type of guy who would never sign anything.

He signed it last year. it's nfl licensed. I don't know if he signs a bunch of shit or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

L.A. Chieffan
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Not much for the 86 traded set. Are the 84 & 85 tops set sealed or did you put it together? If it was a set you put together I would pull the Clemens, Puckett, etc and stick it in a firebox or safe. Put them in a case of'course. Same goes for the 86 traded set.

The main problem with sports card collecting a lot of the older cards tanked or never raised heavily in value because of all these "flashy" new cards you have out the past 10 years. graded cards certainly don't help the collecting as well, but I see why it's out there. I personally do not grade my cards because I know what I'm looking at and I believe the grading system is somewhat of a scam anyway. I'm not selling mine so there's no reason to send it off, pay x amount of money to have it graded.

if you're not gonna sell anything then yes grading is not very useful but ever try having a set registered or evaluated and you're going to have to have it graded.

rockymtnchief
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
He signed it last year. it's nfl licensed. I don't know if he signs a bunch of shit or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

A lot of autographs value depends on if you have a COA to go with it. I have a lot of autographs that I personally got signed from the player. But, without a COA, they're virtually worthless to try and sell unless you get them authenticated.

MOhillbilly
08-26-2009, 10:34 AM

they have just been in the boxes they came in when i was a kid. ive maybe looked at a few cards but never cared. Coins is what i liked.

Param
08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
if you're not gonna sell anything then yes grading is not very useful but ever try having a set registered or evaluated and you're going to have to have it graded.

Grading a card has no purpose unless the intent is to sell, atleast imo. I see what you're saying though. I'd rather skip the shipping, payment, and the multiple hands that touch the card to give "their" opinion on the condition of the card.

Also, my complaint say with PSA is that they use to hand out 10 grades like it was no thing. Eventually what happened you would have say, for example and i'm making the #'s up, there's 4 thousand Joe Montana PSA 10 RC's running around out there. You go and get a Joe Montana graded today, they're going to scrutinize that card heavily and probably not give u the 10. There's already way too many PSA 10 Joe Montana RC's in the market, so we gotta slow it down and heavily check the cards and not give out as many 10's anymore. That's pretty messed up if you ask me.

Param
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
they have just been in the boxes they came in when i was a kid. ive maybe looked at a few cards but never cared. Coins is what i liked.

Keep them in the boxes, though you might be pissed if you ever open the box. I've opened sealed set boxes with no damaged to it whatsoever only to discover the edges are all damaged. The sealed set boxes can look great on the outside, but once you open them you never know.

I like coins too, and I have this one for example (that's not my pic).

http://alex-coins.com/Coins/021508/Haw-1883_B.jpg

BigRedChief
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Grading a card has no purpose unless the intent is to sell, atleast imo. I see what you're saying though. I'd rather skip the shipping, payment, and the multiple hands that touch the card to give "their" opinion on the condition of the card.

Also, my complaint say with PSA is that they use to hand out 10 grades like it was no thing. Eventually what happened you would have say, for example and i'm making the #'s up, there's 4 thousand Joe Montana PSA 10 RC's running around out there. You go and get a Joe Montana graded today, they're going to scrutinize that card heavily and probably not give u the 10. There's already way too many PSA 10 Joe Montana RC's in the market, so we gotta slow it down and heavily check the cards and not give out as many 10's anymore. That's pretty messed up if you ask me.
I had a bunch of A-Rod rookie cards I've had in plastic sheets since 1994. I sent those to Beckett Grading services, not the cheap ones. I made a lot of money because of the grading.

Param
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I had a bunch of A-Rod rookie cards I've had in plastic sheets since 1994. I sent those to Beckett Grading services, not the cheap ones. I made a lot of money because of the grading.

Oh definately, maybe I'm just a little too paranoid.

:)

My collections are in safe deposit boxes at the banks.

EDIT: If the intent is to sell and make a lot of money, getting a top grade on a card is worth gold.

DTLB58
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Ebay is getting killed by a site called www.checkoutmycards.com as far as the single sportscard market goes. It's a fulfillment center much like Amazon so to sell you have to send the cards to them and they list them for you for a reasonable fee. The beauty of COMC's having all the seller's inventory is a buyer can buy from many different sellers and pay combined shipping for all of their cards purchased since COMC has the cards and does all the shipping as well. It's a unique concept and they already boast 767,000 single sportscards whiile Ebay only has 436,000. They are growing very fast.

Thanks for the link! I'll check them out.

DTLB58
08-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Going through my online Beckett collection today and I noticed since I left for canton and came back DT's 1999 score Rookie reprint auto card went up a $100, it's now listed at $350.

From what I have been able to find it's the last one he signed for the card companies.

alpha_omega
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Wish i did...sold all mine at a garage sale when i was 13 or 14.

L.A. Chieffan
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Also, my complaint say with PSA is that they use to hand out 10 grades like it was no thing. Eventually what happened you would have say, for example and i'm making the #'s up, there's 4 thousand Joe Montana PSA 10 RC's running around out there.

There's 9,679 graded Joe RCs and 63 of em are 10s. Not exactly 'no thing'.

chiefscoalition
08-28-2009, 04:30 PM
$60, maybe.

I have a Griffey Jr topps card worth about $1.25 but I could sell it for $200 easily. Why? It has the desert storm gold emblem on it. Topps gave these sets/cards out to the troops in desert storm for free. Pretty limited run to start with and then a lot didn't make it back or got destroyed/bent etc in war.

Also got a Griffey signed game used jersey, signed baseball bat and ball.

i got a george brett desert storm card when i was over there. costs me a nolan ryan and ryne sandberg and 2 sets of desert bdus. i'll let it go for $750. lol.

Tribesman
08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
My collections are in safe deposit boxes at the banks.

Damn, what does that cost ya, and for how big a collection?