PDA

View Full Version : Life How many of you have a favorite kid?

teedubya
12-14-2008, 05:21 PM
My father in law pampers my wife's younger sister like crazy. He buys her all kinds of expensive shit. My MIL and FIL take her on expensive vacations...

But the father in law is kind of a douche to my wife... and especially when growing up.

I think it may be part of the middle kid syndrome. And he was really pissed that my wife wasn't a boy.

So, I wonder... how many parents actually favor one kid over another?

Do you?

burt
12-14-2008, 05:23 PM
My father in law pampers my wife's younger sister like crazy. He buys her all kinds of expensive shit. My MIL and FIL take her on expensive vacations...

But the father in law is kind of a douche to my wife... and especially when growing up.

I think it may be part of the middle kid syndrome. And he was really pissed that my wife wasn't a boy.

Do you?

Absolutely not. I love them each the same....more than I can ever communicate. But sometimes I do treat them a little differently. Totally unintentionally.

Rain Man
12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't have kids, but it's hard for me to imagine that parents don't have a favorite. Kids are different people. How can you not like one more than the others? That doesn't mean that you would ever show it, and I'm sure most deny it, but inside, I can't imagine that every parent doesn't have a favorite.

Jenson71
12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't have kids, but it's hard for me to imagine that parents don't have a favorite. Kids are different people. How can you not like one more than the others? That doesn't mean that you would ever show it, and I'm sure most deny it, but inside, I can't imagine that every parent doesn't have a favorite.

Do you have a favorite cat?

Bugeater
12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
It's pretty easy to have a favorite when you only have one.

ClevelandBronco
12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Let's see if one of them gets obscenely wealthy first.

Thig Lyfe
12-14-2008, 05:41 PM

I think all parents definitely like some kids better than others, but most love their kids equally. Out of parental instinct.

ChiTown
12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, I love my oldest son more. One Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, I love my youngest son more. On Sunday, I love the Chiefs..........except right now.

Gracie Dean
12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
My daughter is my favorite kid

opps..she is my only kid

Rain Man
12-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Do you have a favorite cat?

I love them both exactly equally. Why do you ask?

Rain Man
12-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I think all parents definitely like some kids better than others, but most love their kids equally. Out of parental instinct.

I could see that. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't give them both the life jacket and let yourself drown.

kstater
12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I love them both exactly equally. Why do you ask?

Does one spend more time on you lap than the other?

Thig Lyfe
12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I could see that. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't give them both the life jacket and let yourself drown.

I think if you're already cramming them both into the life jacket, you might as well try to fit in there, too.

rtmike
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
My FIL is way prejudice towards my wife's sister too. He built them a home and is over there at her beckon call. I've/we've asked him to build a shelf, fix the deck for over two years now.

My Father favored my little brother big time. Sore subject actually...

The wife and I come from similar families.

MTG#10
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I love all my kids equally, and never treat any of them any different than the next but having 3 boys and only one girl there is definately a special spot in my heart for my daughter.

Rain Man
12-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Does one spend more time on you lap than the other?

Sometimes one of them will come over and want to be petted, and I'll pet him and then I'll see the other across the room watching, and I'll feel so guilty that I'll put the first one down and go over to pet the other one, and then I'll feel guilty because the first one came over and I don't want him to feel like I rejected him for the second, so I'll go back over to the first one and pick him up again, and then I'll see the second one again and I'll feel like a failure as a pet parent for the rest of the day.

cdcox
12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Sometimes one of them will come over and want to be petted, and I'll pet him and then I'll see the other across the room watching, and I'll feel so guilty that I'll put the first one down and go over to pet the other one, and then I'll feel guilty because the first one came over and I don't want him to feel like I rejected him for the second, so I'll go back over to the first one and pick him up again, and then I'll see the second one again and I'll feel like a failure as a pet parent for the rest of the day.

Our male cat is dominant and gets most of the attention. Every once in the while I'll go out of my way to give more attention to the female cat, which makes the male insanely jealous. First chance he gets, he'll go over and kick her ass. However, she has her front claws, while he doesn't, so if he gets too aggressive, she lets him have it.

JOhn
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
My middle daughter is a special needs child, so yea she is my favorite. But it's not a bad thing, as her brothers & sisters also pamper her a lot too.

ClevelandBronco
12-14-2008, 06:11 PM
My middle daughter is a special needs child, so yea she is my favorite. But it's not a bad thing, as her brothers & sisters also pamper her a lot too.

Yep. I think I can support that.

unothadeal
12-14-2008, 06:11 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Rain Man again.

Infidel Goat
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
The one that I'm going to love the most is the one that's not stupid enough to marry some guy who complains about me on a sports board ...

:)

JuicesFlowing
12-14-2008, 06:24 PM
I have a favorite kid. My only son. I favor him over his non-existent kin. I guess it's not a problem for now.

badgirl
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
No I do not have a favorite child. I can't imagine anyone picking one child over another for any reason.

My mom has a favorite and its my youngest brother, I think mothers sometimes do favor the baby of the family no matter how old that baby becomes.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2008, 06:58 PM
The one that I'm going to love the most is the one that's not stupid enough to marry some guy who complains about me on a sports board ...

:)

Dad? Is that you?

Thig Lyfe
12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Dad? Is that you?

You're married to Ari?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2008, 07:03 PM
You're married to Ari?

Yeah I forgot to mark the /Ari. Oops.

Anyong Bluth
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I think most parents have a favorite kid, but would never ever admit to it- let alone I don't think a lot of them ever consciously realize this.

Kids are people, like was said before, and there's no way you don't like X personality over Y's personality. The amount may be very little, though. And, this doesn't mean you love one child more than the other.

I'd say I'm positive that I'm my mom's favorite child, and probably my dad's least favorite child. I have an older sister and younger brother. I also have a great relationship with both my parents, so it's not like my dad and I have a bad relationship- in fact we have a great one. But, maybe I feel that way b/c I know he's been more generous with my sister and brother, but I think a lot of that has to do with him wanting to teach me to be more responsible and work for what I want. Growing up, a lot of stuff came to me very easily and I never had to work hard or at all to do well, so I wasn't the best when it came to building a work ethic, which is vital for anyone I think when they grow up. I think he just wanted to instill some sense of working for things you want and understanding a work ethic and being responsible is pretty important for any successful man and possible husband / father.

aturnis
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
My FIL is way prejudice towards my wife's sister too. He built them a home and is over there at her beckon call. I've/we've asked him to build a shelf, fix the deck for over two years now.

My Father favored my little brother big time. Sore subject actually...

The wife and I come from similar families.

So you both suck?

rtmike
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
So you both suck?

Her, not me. :)

KC Jones
12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I think most parents have a favorite kid, but would never ever admit to it- let alone I don't think a lot of them ever consciously realize this.

Kids are people, like was said before, and there's no way you don't like X personality over Y's personality. The amount may be very little, though. And, this doesn't mean you love one child more than the other.

Absolutely parents have favorites - and parents that tell themselves they don't aren't doing themselves any favors. I think you are better off realizing it consciously so you can try to make sure things are balanced and you're giving each child what they need.

Iowanian
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
My answer is easy now, because my two are still pretty young...no favorites. I'd thrash a hobo with a paper cup for either of them and save the experience points for a plastic spoon.

My mom/dad has favorites....and they have always changed with circumstance. When alone, she'll tell each of us that she prefers us over the others, and doesn't deny it when we're all quarrelling about it.

I'm the oldest, so I claim favorite status and she'll agree I've been loved the longest.....

At any given time, there is a favorite and its always for good reason. If someone is in the hospital or hurt...they're the favorite. If you've got a new baby...favorite.....If you're going through something exceptional....favorite. If you're the one in Iraq....you're the favorite until you've been home a few months and she can sleep through the night.

We tell the parents that they only play this game so we won't send them to the Cheap home when they're back to pant-pooping age.

Iowanian
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
One thing I've seen before with parents who caudle one kid more than another, or provide more for one than another, and its been explained to me before as well, there is often a reason.

It is often not the sibling they may "like" the best that is spoiled. Its often the one that needs it more.....You may get ignored because they know you're doing alright. They may know you can hold a good job, take care of your family and fix your own stuff, but your "spoiled" sibling is immature and failing at life....a basket case they worry will burn into the ground at terminal velocity if they don't act as that child's parachute.

Midnight_Vulture
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Dont have any kids...yet but if one of them becomes a professional athlete...then you damn straight he will be my favorite for sure!

My parents treat me as their favorite though. THey spoil me rotten ( I am the youngest)

Iowanian
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Midnight Vulture is going to have all daughters.

If Karma is real, they'll all change their career names to things like Cinnemon, Glorya Hole, and Cherry Poppins.

Skip Towne
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Dont have any kids...yet but if one of them becomes a professional athlete...then you damn straight he will be my favorite for sure!

My parents treat me as their favorite though. THey spoil me rotten ( I am the youngest)

Do they know you're a thief?

KcMizzou
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I have two boys. I love them both equally for different reasons.

I'm really kind of confused as to how they have such opposite personalities. They're a year and a half apart in age, grew up under the exact same circumstances...

Yet one is a sensitive, "huggy" type... the other's smart as a whip and very independent.

NewChief
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
One thing I've seen before with parents who caudle one kid more than another, or provide more for one than another, and its been explained to me before as well, there is often a reason.

It is often not the sibling they may "like" the best that is spoiled. Its often the one that needs it more.....You may get ignored because they know you're doing alright. They may know you can hold a good job, take care of your family and fix your own stuff, but your "spoiled" sibling is immature and failing at life....a basket case they worry will burn into the ground at terminal velocity if they don't act as that child's parachute.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Iowanian
12-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm really kind of confused as to how they have such opposite personalities. .

There is an obvious joke about a mail man in here, but given the Christmas season, and the utopian euphoria I'm experiencing with Obama's changes, I'm singing Age of Aquarius and dancing around in white cotton pants with streamers....instead of taking that opportunity.

Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in, the sunshine in

KcMizzou
12-14-2008, 07:59 PM
There is an obvious joke about a mail man in here, but given the Christmas season, and the utopian euphoria I'm experiencing with Obama's changes, I'm singing Age of Aquarius and dancing around in white cotton pants with streamers....instead of taking that opportunity.Heheh, who says you don't have a heart. :D

Rain Man
12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Her, not me. :)

But her sister is really cool, right?

Amnorix
12-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Absolutely parents have favorites - and parents that tell themselves they don't aren't doing themselves any favors. I think you are better off realizing it consciously so you can try to make sure things are balanced and you're giving each child what they need.

I agree. I have two boys, and the oldest is a pleasant, mellow, type B who pretty much goes along, gets along, and dislikes being in trouble. The biggest problem with him is he's a procrastinator, and you have to tell him 3 times before he will get off his butt and DO it.

The youngest is a great kid, but he's a Type A, wants things HIS way (and no other), and could care less if he's going to get punished. He's a bossy little PITA.

I love them both, but one of them causes a fierce desire to wrap your hands around his little neck (hypothetically speaking, of course) alot more than the other.

But I also recognize that the youngest may have an easier path to success in life given his personality. He's focused, driven, stubborn and won't get pushed around. Annoying traits in a 4 year old, but great traits (if properly channeled) when you're 24, 34, 44, etc.

J Diddy
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Do you?

I bet you're really pissed your wife isn't a boy too.

:D

rtmike
12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
But her sister is really cool, right?

I tried every "CP, you're a piece of shit noob" angle I could with that question and couldn't come up with anything.

So what the hell...yeah, she's cool but my ol' lady has her beat in looks.

ClevelandBronco
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM

I think that most of us understand that you have weak-daddy issues.