PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm a lame duck coach going into next year

FringeNC
12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
It seems to me that it wouldn't be a good idea to have a lame duck coach next year -- or least I think that's what Peterson and Hunt will think -- so it seems to me that either Herm is fired or given an extension after the season is over.

Weird. Some situation as he had in NY.

Mecca
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
A friend of mine, non Chiefs fan, asked me how in the world the Chiefs could even consider bringing him back, and I honestly can't answer that question.

There are going to be alot of coaches get fired this year...most of them have better records than Herm does.

Brock
12-14-2008, 11:19 PM
He'll be extended, get used to it.

FringeNC
12-14-2008, 11:20 PM
A friend of mine, non Chiefs fan, asked me how in the world the Chiefs could even consider bringing him back, and I honestly can't answer that question.

There are going to be alot of coaches get fired this year...most of them have better records than Herm does.

Having a lame duck coach didn't work out too well for the Seahawks this year. I just don't think the Chiefs will go that route. I guess they could put him on probation and give him a 1-year extension, but wouldn't that be unusual?

Fish
12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe if you create another thread, it will really come true.....

unothadeal
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Herm is getting another year because he is "rebuilding." If his rebuild works he'll probably be here for another 5 years with a mediocre team. If it doesn't a new coach will be brought in and we'll be right back where we started.

FringeNC
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM
He'll be extended, get used to it.

Yeah, that's my guess, too, but the longer it goes without him getting extended -- maybe it's not a done deal yet. When this went down in NY, Herm still had two years left I believe, and demanded an extension.

FringeNC
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Maybe if you create another thread, it will really come true.....

You didn't have to respond -- but I do think it's noteworthy that it's really not a question of whether he's fired or not -- it's a question of whether he's re-upped or fired.

Mecca
12-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Man if the Chiefs really give him an extension people are going to laugh at the stupidity of that.

Zouk
12-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I think he can come back without an extension and coach for his job next year. It's happened with other teams. There's a 0% chance he gets an extension before next year.

FringeNC
12-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I think he can come back without an extension and coach for his job next year. It's happened with other teams. There's a 0% chance he gets an extension before next year.

I dunno -- isn't credibility with the players an issue for a coach on his last year? I don't think it's very common.

Mecca
12-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't think anyone on a 2-12 team has much credibility to begin with.

Brock
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Players pay close attention to the coach's contract. If you're not going to fire him, you'd better extend him. If you want to continue to pretend to be interested in winning, that is.

DeezNutz
12-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Can't imagine that he'll be back, and it's likely that Clark would point to this game as evidence "A" for the fire. Herm's performance this year was going to be judged on how well the team performed in the second half of the season, and this collapse is pretty tough to explain away.

Rebuilding, young, whatever. No team should find a way to lose like this. Add 11 other losses to the mix, and there's just no way. No fucking way. Right?!?

Zouk
12-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I dunno -- isn't credibility with the players an issue for a coach on his last year? I don't think it's very common.

It's definitely not common but it has happened recently. Jauron started this year as a lame duck as an example. And Herm has never had a problem with credibility or relationship with players. Say what you will about the man but everyone close to his teams has acknowledged that as the truth. If he competes for a playoff berth at the end of 2009 he gets a contract, if he doesn't he's gone. Simple and clean.

But I think it's only a little better than 50/50 he's back next year - based on nothing but guessing.

Coach
12-14-2008, 11:41 PM
It's definitely not common but it has happened recently. Jauron started this year as a lame duck as an example. And Herm has never had a problem with credibility or relationship with players. Say what you will about the man but everyone close to his teams has acknowledged that as the truth. If he competes for a playoff berth at the end of 2009 he gets a contract, if he doesn't he's gone. Simple and clean.

But I think it's only a little better than 50/50 he's back next year - based on nothing but guessing.

Call it a hunch, but I don't see the 09 team contending for a playoff spot.

smittysbar
12-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Call it a hunch, but I don't see the 09 team contending for a playoff spot.

Strange, I have the same hunch :eek:

FringeNC
12-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Suppose we start out slowly next year -- then it becomes obvious that he won't be getting an extension. And then the players tune him out. I don't think we'll do that, especially given how it turned into a disaster in Seattle.

blueballs
12-14-2008, 11:46 PM
THere is not enough body of Clark's work to know what he will do
those saying other wise are just bitching to bitch
not that it's not understandable

Mecca
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Suppose.....you know this team is playing the NFC East and AFC north right, there's probably gonna be some beatdowns.

notorious
12-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Suppose.....you know this team is playing the NFC East and AFC north right, there's probably gonna be some beatdowns.

Damnit Mecca, I was a glass-half full kind of guy until I read that. Don't get me wrong, I am still that same guy, but you helped me notice that the glass is half-full of dog s***. :)

Zouk
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Dude - you can't predict this stuff. No one thought the Falcons and Dolphins would be good this year. Everyone thought the Chargers were a 12 plus win team. Who knows what the Eagles, Redskins, Browns, Bengals, and Ravens will look like next year. The Giants and Steelers will be good, the Cowboys probably will be OK but could be mediocre, and the rest could be bad. The schedule doesn't scare me at all.

If the Chiefs add some solid talent they could easily be a Wildcard team next year. This stuff happens every single season.

notorious
12-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Dude - you can't predict this stuff. No one thought the Falcons and Dolphins would be good this year. Everyone thought the Chargers were a 12 plus win team. Who knows what the Eagles, Redskins, Browns, Bengals, and Ravens will look like next year. The Giants and Steelers will be good, the Cowboys probably will be OK but could be mediocre, and the rest could be bad. The schedule doesn't scare me at all.

If the Chiefs add some solid talent they could easily be a Wildcard team next year. This stuff happens every single season.

The glass is half-full, the glass is half-full.........

Just kidding, you are right. Philly is pissed at their coach(why?), Dallas is getting rid of Phillips, Washington is having problems. Cleveland will be Cleveland, Cinci LOL, Pitt and Crackmore are going to be solid, though.

The glass is half-full....

T-post Tom
12-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Can't imagine that he'll be back, and it's likely that Clark would point to this game as evidence "A" for the fire. Herm's performance this year was going to be judged on how well the team performed in the second half of the season, and this collapse is pretty tough to explain away.

Rebuilding, young, whatever. No team should find a way to lose like this. Add 11 other losses to the mix, and there's just no way. No ****ing way. Right?!?

:clap:

12-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Man if the Chiefs really give him an extension people are going to laugh at the stupidity of that.Yet they will still pay for the tickets.