PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: This one got away in a hurry for Chiefs

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/937306.html

The worst thing about the most embarrassing loss in the Carl Peterson era — a 22-21 miracle defeat to San Diego on Sunday — is the Chargers had no interest in winning it.

They came to Kansas City on Friday intent on partying and showing up at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday afternoon because their preflight-home itinerary required it. They kicked it at Bazooka’s, Power & Light and the Plaza before clearing their heads just in time to erase an 18-point second-half deficit and finish the Chiefs with two touchdowns in the final 73 seconds.

Gone in 73 seconds.

That should be on Carl Peterson’s and Herm Edwards’ Kansas City tombstones. It took fewer than 2 minutes to indisputably unmask the folly of their rebuilding effort.

Trailing 21-10 in the final minutes, Philip Rivers hit Malcom Floyd with a 4-yard TD pass, the Chargers recovered Dwayne Bowe’s drop of an onside kick, Rivers and receiver Vincent Jackson exploited corner Patrick Surtain’s poor decision-making in cover 4, and then Rivers found Jackson for the game-winner.

You had to see the finish to really believe it. It was stunning in its decisiveness and quickness. But you could see it building all afternoon. The Chiefs threw away every opportunity to put the game away.

San Diego’s uninterest was so obvious that the Chiefs easily could’ve led 28-3 at halftime. It was 14-3 instead.

Backup Quarterback of the Future Tyler Thigpen tossed a ridiculous, first-and-goal-at-the-5 interception when he tried to force the ball into a triple-covered Tony Gonzalez. Thigpen and Gonzalez have a Tony Romo-Jason Witten love affair. They only have eyes for each other. It hurt the Chiefs on Sunday.

“The game should’ve never been close,” Surtain accurately observed. “We don’t know how to finish people. We make boneheaded plays.”

No doubt. Surtain tried to bait Rivers into throwing underneath on the long pass to Jackson that set up the game-winning TD pass. Surtain didn’t get deep because he thought he could tackle tight end Antonio Gates while he was inbounds. Rivers lofted a balloon over Surtain’s head. Chiefs safety Jarrad Page tried to adjust and get over. He didn’t make it. The Chargers picked up 42 yards.

“(Jackson) caught the ball,” Page said.

“It wasn’t a rookie over there. I’ll leave it at that,” Edwards said.

“I could’ve gotten a little deeper,” Surtain acknowledged.

The Chiefs had several opportunities to extend offensive drives by going for it on fourth and 1. Edwards chose to punt and play defense on each occasion.

“The defense was playing halfway decent until about the last 2 minutes of the football game,” Edwards explained. “When you have a two-score lead, you say, ‘Why should I give these guys, if we don’t make it, the ball on the 40-yard line?’ ”

I don’t have a problem with the fourth-down strategy. That’s nitpicking.

Bowe dropping the onside kick is the smoking gun in this fiasco. He’s wrapping up a miserable sophomore season and further eroding public trust in Edwards’ and Bill Kuharich’s ability to draft the right prospects.

Bowe is supposed to be KC’s No. 1 receiver. From the outset of the season, when he tried to catch critical passes in a close loss to the Patriots, Bowe has been an unreliable, inconsistent No. 1 target. He’ll tease with the spectacular and crush you by dropping the routine play.

He lost the New England game, and he added his second defeat on Sunday. San Diego’s kick hit Bowe in the chest and hands. The drop is inexcusable. At New England, Bowe pretended to do nothing wrong and claimed he played a solid game. On Sunday, he left the locker room without speaking to reporters, declining to answer for his sloppiness.

“You hope he’s learned a lesson,” Gonzalez said. “I dropped 17 balls my second year. It has to hurt or you don’t learn anything from it.”

Bowe has the money, the bling, the saggy jeans and the swagger. We have no idea whether he has any interest in being a great player. He doesn’t appear to have the discipline or the toughness.

Let’s take a look at the No. 1 draft picks since Herm’s arrival:

•Tamba Hali: After being designated KC’s top pass rusher, Hali has responded with a monster three-sack season. He picked up two on Sunday.

•Dwayne Bowe: Nicknamed Roberto Duran because of his hands of stone.

•Glenn Dorsey: Owns a 7,000-square-foot mansion at the line of scrimmage and rarely leaves home on Sundays.

•Branden Albert: Looks excellent compared with Hali, Bowe and Dorsey.

So maybe this season has been productive and successful. We’ve learned a lot. We’ve been given irrefutable evidence the wrong people are leading the organization.

“No, I’ve got two more games left,” Edwards said when I asked whether he was concerned about his job security. “I’m going to coach them and then prepare for next season.”

In January, Clark Hunt stated that a repeat 4-12 season would not be acceptable. With two games left, a 2-12 record and what we’ve just witnessed, a repeat of 4-12 would be as miraculous as what the Chargers pulled off on their three-day Kansas City vacation.

To reach Jason Whitlock, call 816-234-4869 or send e-mail to jwhitlock@kcstar.com. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:04 AM
He’s wrapping up a miserable sophomore season

Weak. Bowe has had some drops, but is having a great year.

Boris The Great
12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
(Bowe) is wrapping up a miserable sophomore season and further eroding public trust in Edwards and Bill Kuharich\'s ability to draft the right prospects.

Whitlock is such a bitch.

I also like how he only says Albert looks good compared to guys he thinks are busts. As if Albert isnt good period.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Whitlock is such a bitch.

He seems to have something of a personal vendetta against Bowe. Either that or he really likes him and just does this to motivate him. He was really harsh on Bowe after the New England game, too.

Bowe just needs a real quarterback.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Weak. Bowe has had some drops, but is having a great year.

Not even close.

Whitlock's analysis of Bowe's play is accurate.

Boris The Great
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM
He seems to have something of a personal vendetta against Bowe.

I dont think its just Bowe. Whitlock was on Dorsey before the season even started. Is it LSU guys? Rookies? I dont know but it makes it difficult to take his evalautions seriously because he has so many agendas at work.

I wouldnt discount the motivation thing either, so he can act like he is involved somehow.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:13 AM
What do you guys want? Team is 2-12 this isn't warm fuzzy time....and yes for Dwayne Bowe's talent he better learn to focus or he'll be a 2 because being unreliable is not a good career trait for a WR.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I dont think its just Bowe. Whitlock was on Dorsey before the season even started. Is it LSU guys? Rookies? I dont know but it makes it difficult to take his evalautions seriously because he has so many agendas at work.

I wouldnt discount the motivation thing either, so he can act like he is involved somehow.

Probably because most were quick to label these guys the future stars of the team.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Not even close.

The guy has bested his rookie numbers in every way despite terrible quarterback play and an inconsistent running game.

He he dropped some balls? Yeah. Is it a problem that needs to be fixed? Yeah.

But to call his sophomore season "miserable" is garbage. Slightly disappointing, maybe. But not miserable.

blueballs
12-15-2008, 12:14 AM
the head Chef needs fired
no more doubts about it

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
The guy has bested his rookie numbers in every way despite terrible quarterback play and an inconsistent running game.

But to call his sophomore season "miserable" is garbage. Slightly disappointing, maybe. But not miserable.

The QB play is no worse this year than last. Better, if anything.

Bettering last year's stats isn't terribly impressive b/c he wasn't even a 1000-yard receiver, which isn't a big accomplishment in today's game.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:18 AM

It comes from the hype, numbers relative to the hype....it probably doesn't help that some of his really bad moments have come in very noticeable moments.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM
I just think he's being overly harsh on Bowe.

50 catches would be "miserable."

At this rate he's gonna haul in 90 balls and 10 TDs.

Boris The Great
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Probably because most were quick to label these guys the future stars of the team.

And what? Its Whitlocks job to be a contrarian?

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
And what? Its Whitlocks job to be a contrarian?

He's basically telling you, "these are the guys that were tabbed as the future stars of the team, right now they aren't living up to the hype"

I like Dwayne Bowe but he better be more concerned with working on his hands focus and concentration than his latest rap song or his bling.

FringeNC
12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Bowe's a legit NFL receiver, but not a star player.

If there was a re-draft of last year's players Dorsey wouldn't go nearly as high.

Boris The Great
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Hes basically telling you these are the guys that were tabbed as the future stars of the team, right now they aren\'t living up to the hype

He ripped on both guys BEFORE THEY PLAYED AN NFL GAME.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
For Whitlock to say that the rebuilding effort is a farce is comedy. And apparently Bowe and Dorsey are the resident Whitlock whipping boys instead of Priest, LJ, and Sims.

Sometimes, I wonder if people ever watch other teams play. Do people have any idea how many balls TO drops or Braylon Edwards? Hell, Andre Johnson was a stone-handed WR his first couple of years too.

Bowe has been everything you could expect him to be on the field. We're quick to say "it takes three years to develop a WR" on draft day, and three plays into the first game we're bitching up a storm, calling for the heads of Bowe and Franklin.

Our fans are just stupid, and the media enables it.

Tribal Warfare
12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Not even close.

Bowe is having a good year, for some reason Whitlock is being overly critical with some of his views.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
He's basically telling you, "these are the guys that were tabbed as the future stars of the team, right now they aren't living up to the hype"

I like Dwayne Bowe but he better be more concerned with working on his hands focus and concentration than his latest rap song or his bling.

Right. You've nicely captured Whitlock's take-home message.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
If Braylon Edwards was my 1 I'd be really pissed off at his performance too...and for the record Andre Johnson had hands issues going back to college partially because he had eye problems. Since he got that fixed he catches fine...

Bowe had the same thing but his eyes being fixed don't seem to have helped, I think he's just one of those guys some WR's drop balls, not everyone can be Larry Fitzgerald, and it's more fun to say the better players need to be better than rip on some guy no one cares about.

It's like at a shitty job, if you work hard, they try to get you to do even more work than the guy who doesn't do anything they just let him not do anything.

12-15-2008, 12:30 AM
For Whitlock to say that the rebuilding effort is a farce is comedy. And apparently Bowe and Dorsey are the resident Whitlock whipping boys instead of Priest, LJ, and Sims.

Sometimes, I wonder if people ever watch other teams play. Do people have any idea how many balls TO drops or Braylon Edwards? Hell, Andre Johnson was a stone-handed WR his first couple of years too.

Bowe has been everything you could expect him to be on the field. We're quick to say "it takes three years to develop a WR" on draft day, and three plays into the first game we're bitching up a storm, calling for the heads of Bowe and Franklin.

Our fans are just stupid, and the media enables it.

And you are a fan too.:D

Bowe drives me nuts but his upside is way too good to get to down on him.

Damn that just sounds wrong.LMAO

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Bowe is having a good year, for some reason Whitlock is being overly critical with some of his views.

Bowe is having an ok year. Mecca, in an earlier post, correctly glossed Whitlock's message.

kcxiv
12-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Bowes hands are fine. He just tries to look upfield before he actually has the damn ball. Thats something that can and should be corrected. Next year we will see how he adjusts. Tony G said it best, his 2nd year he dropped 17 passes. Thats ALOT.

TrickyNicky
12-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Pretty much. Bowe has problems with routine catches because he loses focus thinking about running before the catch is made. However, I've noticed on some bad throws, throws where he obviously doesn't have a shot at YAC, he can make the circus grabs and hauls them in fine.

12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Pretty much. Bowe has problems with routine catches because he loses focus thinking about running before the catch is made. However, I've noticed on some bad throws, throws where he obviously doesn't have a shot at YAC, he can make the circus grabs and hauls them in fine.OK, so what is the reason today then?

TrickyNicky
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
OK, so what is the reason today then?

Your guess is as good as anyone else. He caught the onside and took a hit on the ball. Is that a lack of focus? He had it in his hands against his chest. Bad blocking on special teams? Our special teams has been shit all year. I don't know.

googlegoogle
12-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Why is WR Will Franklin not getting any PT?

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Why is WR Will Franklin not getting any PT?

I dunno..um maybe he's not that good? Most rookie WR's have issues.

TrickyNicky
12-15-2008, 01:28 AM
He's a 4th or 5th wideout. 3-4 catches is actually decent production. Lets see if he can do it again.

JOhn
12-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Tony G said it best, his 2nd year he dropped 17 passes. Thats ALOT.
Yea and according to everyone then, TG would never make a great TE:shake:

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Franklin looked great today. Three very nice catches with YAC. He was beastin' on one.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:33 AM
How things change so fast, last year people wanted to say Bowe was better than Calvin Johnson.

kcchiefsus
12-15-2008, 01:34 AM

Bettering last year's stats isn't terribly impressive b/c he wasn't even a 1000-yard receiver, which isn't a big accomplishment in today's game.

Uhh, it IS a big accomplishment for a 2nd year receiver.

kcchiefsus
12-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Bowe's a legit NFL receiver, but not a star player.

If there was a re-draft of last year's players Dorsey wouldn't go nearly as high.

He's only a fucking second year player, give him a fucking break. Look at what Roddy White did his first 2 years? Bowe had more yards and touchdowns his first year than White did in his first 2 years combined. Now White is 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards after having gone over 1,200 yards last year as well. Jesus fucking Christ. I'm sure there were Falcons fans saying White was a bust after his first 2 years in the league.

To say Bowe isn't a star is ridiculous. He's not currently a star, but what is to say he will never develop into one? People in KC are WAY too quick to jump to conclusions.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:39 AM
It works that way here both ways, people get brushed off or said to be great within 5 minutes.

BigRock
12-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Why are people treating the onside kick as if Bowe dropped a pass? He was in the air and had 2 or 3 guys with a 10 yard head start slamming into him trying to rip the ball out. Maybe if somebody throws a block on one of those guys, it doesn't get knocked loose.

It sucks he didn't hang on, but there's people acting like he dropped it like "Oopsie, butterfingers" as if it just bounced off his hands or something. Not quite.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Why are people treating the onside kick as if Bowe dropped a pass? He was in the air and had 2 or 3 guys with a 10 yard head start slamming into him trying to rip the ball out. Maybe if somebody throws a block on one of those guys, it doesn't get knocked loose.

It sucks he didn't hang on, but there's people acting like he just dropped it like "Oopsie, butterfingers". No.

Personally I was thinking why the Chiefs are even risking one of the top players on the team like that. It wasn't a playoff game. We're out of contention.

Can you imagine the backlash if Bowe blew out a knee sacrificing his body trying to recover an onside kick in a meaningless game?

BigRock
12-15-2008, 01:51 AM
In fact, here's Mike Scifres describing the play:

"Going into that wind and the ball goes up in the air like that, you never know what it’s going to do,” Scifres said. “Luckily the ball bounced our way. Applewhite came in free, and when you’ve got a defenseless guy in the air, and two or three guys running with a full head of steam, I think the two guys coming in will have a better chance.

The Chargers' punter > Whitlock

BigRock
12-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Personally I was thinking why the Chiefs are even risking one of the top players on the team like that. It wasn't a playoff game. We're out of contention.

Can you imagine the Whitlock column if they'd kept Bowe off the field? It'd be some bizarre marriage between calling Bowe soft and taking the team to task for announcing in public that their #1 WR can't catch.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Uhh, it IS a big accomplishment for a 2nd year receiver.

He's done fine, and he also benefits from being the only option outside of Gonzo. On most teams, Bowe is a 2. Let's see if he continues to develop and makes the next step. Currently, he's not there. Doesn't mean he won't.

12-15-2008, 02:10 AM
It works that way here both ways, people get brushed off or said to be great within 5 minutes.You're great. Now get the fuck out of here. :D

DT58HOF
12-15-2008, 03:04 AM

When your a first round pick in your second year and you drop balls, yes that is MISERABLE!!
He should pay some of the money back he is stealing, he looks like $h*t

Bob Dole
12-15-2008, 03:53 AM

Because 995 is SOOOOOO much less than 1000.

J Diddy
12-15-2008, 04:16 AM

which he did get, but a holding penalty negated some

Deberg_1990
12-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Backup QB of the Future Tyler Thigpen..

HAHAHAHAHA

JOhn
12-15-2008, 05:49 AM
When your a first round pick in your second year and you drop balls, yes that is MISERABLE!!
He should pay some of the money back he is stealing, he looks like $h*t

:rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
12-15-2008, 06:01 AM
He doesn’t appear to have the discipline or the toughness.Kind of like Big Sexy at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

EyePod
12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
He seems to have something of a personal vendetta against Bowe. Either that or he really likes him and just does this to motivate him. He was really harsh on Bowe after the New England game, too.

Bowe just needs a real quarterback.

No ones blaming him for getting crap thrown to him and him not catching it. We get pissed off when he drops routine shit. And stop trying to throw your stupid "I hate Thigpen because Brodie Croyle has pictures of me blowing little boys and is blackmailing me" mantra into every fucking thread. We get it. You don't like Thigpen.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 09:42 AM

I didn't look up the stats, so I didn't realize it was that close, just knew he didn't get it.

But let's face it, it's not that big of a deal for a receiver to get 1000 yards. Just like it's not that big of a deal for a RB to go for 1000 in a season. Is it a nice accomplishment for a rookie or even 2nd year player? Of course. No one is arguing that.

I'm comparing Bowe's play to what I expect from a legit #1, which is admittedly unfair b/c of the crap we have at WR. Still, he's our "#1" so he draws the comparisons. Right now, he's not stacking up.

I hope this changes. He looks to have a ton of talent, if he wants to use it.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
If you are just looking at stats, Bowe compares favorably or even alot better than most top wideouts first few seasons in the NFL.

RickObie
12-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Our fans are just stupid[/B], and the media enables it.

So it's OK to drop passes?? Because others drop passes it's Ok for Bowe?

I'm not saying Bowe is a bust, but to call us stupid because we point out the fact that Bowe has too many drops-the fact is he does!

2008 NFL Leaders: Pass Dropped (Thru Dec. 14, 2008)

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Braylon Edwards Cle 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 13
3 Brandon Marshall Den 11
4 Calvin Johnson Det 9
5 Roddy White Atl 8
6t Marques Colston NO 7
6t Rashied Davis Chi 7
6t Anthony Gonzalez Ind 7
6t Marshawn Lynch Buf 7
6t Santana Moss Was 7
6t Terrell Owens Dal 7
6t Hines Ward Pit 7
13t Bernard Berrian Min 6
13t Laveranues Coles NYJ 6
13t Warrick Dunn TB 6
13t Jabar Gaffney NE 6
13t Justin Gage Ten 6
13t Madison Hedgecock NYG 6
13t Santonio Holmes Pit 6
13t Chad Johnson Cin 6
13t Marcedes Lewis Jac 6
13t Muhsin Muhammad Car 6
13t Koren Robinson Sea 6
13t Steve Smith Car 6

Fish
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Can you imagine the backlash if Bowe blew out a knee sacrificing his body trying to recover an onside kick in a meaningless game?

Meaningless game? Every media outlet including the one you work for(if that could be considered a media outlet) is saying this game will be the reason Carl, Herm, etc. will be fired. Your last article said this game will be the Chiefs' last chance to prove themselves. And now you're writing it off as meaningless?

Baby Lee
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Can I say I love that Gonzo knows exactly how many drops he had his sophomore season. Need more of that shit out of every player.

EyePod
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I didn't look up the stats, so I didn't realize it was that close, just knew he didn't get it.

But let's face it, it's not that big of a deal for a receiver to get 1000 yards. Just like it's not that big of a deal for a RB to go for 1000 in a season. Is it a nice accomplishment for a rookie or even 2nd year player? Of course. No one is arguing that.

I'm comparing Bowe's play to what I expect from a legit #1, which is admittedly unfair b/c of the crap we have at WR. Still, he's our "#1" so he draws the comparisons. Right now, he's not stacking up.

I hope this changes. He looks to have a ton of talent, if he wants to use it.

What are you talking about. This is a bunch of shit. Right now we have the #13 in receiving yards (Tony - 941 yards) and the # 20 (DBowe - 891 yards). Hmm... Yeah, he's not stacking up. He's just better than 16 #1 receivers. Just cause he's middle of the pack for #1 receivers doesn't mean that "he's not stacking up."

Our team is the 3rd worst team and DBowe and Tony are putting up really awesome numbers. Plus we had Damon Huard as our QB. That has to count for something.

shaneo69
12-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Bowe's the most dangerous WR we've had since Otis Taylor, and it's not good enough for Whitlock and others.

As long as he doesn't become a douchebag like Ocho Cinco or TO, I'll continue to support him.

EyePod
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Bowe's the most dangerous WR we've had since Otis Taylor, and it's not good enough for Whitlock and others.

As long as he doesn't become a douchebag like Ocho Cinco or TO, I'll continue to support him.

Yep. That's what worries me. If you ever listen to his and Dustin's radio show, he's so fucking full of himself. I really want to listen tonight and see what he has to say....

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Wow.

This place has sunk to a new level of stupidity.

Bowe is having a disappointing season?

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Here's a list of guys you may have heard of, who did less than Bowe in their first 2 years:

Andre Johnson: 3/6 seasons under 1000 yards. Had never broken 1150 until THIS year - his 6th in the league.

Roddy White: Had less than a 1000 yards in his first two seasons. COMBINED.

Steve Smith: Didn't break the 1100 yard plateau until his FIFTH year.

Reggie Wayne: Didn't break the 850 yard plateau until his FOURTH year.

Lee Evans: ONE season out of FIVE he's been over 940 yards.

Terrell Owens: Broke 1000 yards ONCE in his first FOUR years.

Braylon Edwards: ONE season out of FOUR over 900 yards.

Marvin Harrison: Didn't break 900 yards until his FOURTH year.

Only KC fans (and Whitlock) would be retarded enough to bitch about a guy that has produced more in his first 2 years than 95% of the WR's in the league - and done it with Damon fucking Huard and Tyler Thigpen throwing him the ball.

Brock
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree, Bowe is the best chiefs draft pick in several years, one of very few who actually lived up to their draft position. Bitching about what he's done to this point is pretty stupid.

Fritz88
12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Whitlock, flip flops like no else.

Ultra Peanut
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
So it's OK to drop passes?? Because others drop passes it's Ok for Bowe?

I'm not saying Bowe is a bust, but to call us stupid because we point out the fact that Bowe has too many drops-the fact is he does!

2008 NFL Leaders: Pass Dropped (Thru Dec. 14, 2008)

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Braylon Edwards Cle 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 13
3 Brandon Marshall Den 11
4 Calvin Johnson Det 9
5 Roddy White Atl 8 HOLY SHIT, you totally backed up your point there. Only scrubs drop as many passes as Bowe!

Demonpenz
12-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Why is it always the cornerbacks that guard Bowe that make the tackles on our rb's

bringbackmarty
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Bowe is improving. I'm not going to speculate on what he'll be eventually, but he is getting better. Tony has helped him a lot. The high number of drops are due in part to the number of times we go to him in pressure\goal to go situations. He might have a problem there. The ones we also remember are when he's wide open in the middle of the field and is thinking more about his next move. Both involve focus, and passes delivered with accuracy and touch. Thigpen also needs to improve in order for Bowe to move to the next level in terms of production.

We gotta try and keep Tony here to develop Bowe and Thiggy, but after yesterday I bet he quits.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
What are you talking about. This is a bunch of shit. Right now we have the #13 in receiving yards (Tony - 941 yards) and the # 20 (DBowe - 891 yards). Hmm... Yeah, he's not stacking up. He's just better than 16 #1 receivers. Just cause he's middle of the pack for #1 receivers doesn't mean that "he's not stacking up."

Our team is the 3rd worst team and DBowe and Tony are putting up really awesome numbers. Plus we had Damon Huard as our QB. That has to count for something.

I don't think Bowe is a true #1. But he's been a solid draft pick, no doubt. Are there 16 other #1's? There aren't even this many
"#1's" in the league.

He gets a ton of targets, being behind in games does tend to help this, as does the fact that we're now running the spread or pistol or whatever the **** Gailey calls it.

That said, Bowe has a penchant for making the big drop at critical times. I think he can improve on this and develop into one of the top WRs, but he's not there, yet. Again, it's only his second year, so this isn't a surprise. As I've said several times, he catches more criticism than he probably should b/c of the other crap that surrounds him.

Demonpenz
12-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think Bowe is a true #1. But he's been a solid draft pick, no doubt. Are there 16 other #1's? There aren't even this many
"#1's" in the league.

He gets a ton of targets, being behind in games does tend to help this, as does the fact that we're now running the spread or pistol or whatever the **** Gailey calls it.

That said, Bowe has a penchant for making the big drop at critical times. I think he can improve on this and develop into one of the top WRs, but he's not there, yet. Again, it's only his second year, so this isn't a surprise. As I've said several times, he catches more criticism than he probably should b/c of the other crap that surrounds him.

I can only think of one crucial drop right now the one at new england. Although the way he spun out of bounds was pathetic. Kind of like when I got nacho cheese on the triangle button and madden and my play spun from the hashmark all the way out of bounds.

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I honestly think Whitlock does it to a light a fire under the top guy's ass. Look who he calls out - LJ, Bowe, Dorsey.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I can only think of one crucial drop right now the one at new england. Although the way he spun out of bounds was pathetic. Kind of like when I got nacho cheese on the triangle button and madden and my play spun from the hashmark all the way out of bounds.

Last week he had a drop that would have led to an important first down late in the game.

You pulled a Priest, huh? Be careful with those nachos. They almost ruined my draft stock when I used to work the original Gameday on PS.

Micjones
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Bowe leads the league in drops if I'm not mistaken.

I like the kid... Good year this year, but he's not ascending like he should be because of the drops. He needs to spend his entire summer with the Juggs machine.

DeezNutz

I like the kid... Good year this year, but he's not ascending like he should be because of the drops. He needs to spend his entire summer with the Juggs machine.

It's Edwards. Bowe is second. The list is posted earlier in the thread.

Demonpenz
Last week he had a drop that would have led to an important first down late in the game.

You pulled a Priest, huh? Be careful with those nachos. They almost ruined my draft stock when I used to work the original Gameday on PS.

actually priest pulled a demon :oP

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2008, 12:34 PM

He's 2nd behind Braylon Edwards.

And honestly, all this talk of drops is ridiculously overrated.

Bowe has less than 1 per game. 13 drops/14 games. .92 drops per game.

Brandon Marshall has 11 drops in 13 games - yet people here GUSH about Marshall.

And I'd like to know what constitutes a drop.

Who is judging whether a pass was dropped, or properly defensed?

You're talking about a judgment call. I'm sure there's NO margin for error.

FWIW, Terrell Owens has the highest number of drops over the last 4 years.

It would really suck to have Terrell Owens...

Micjones
12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
It's Edwards. Bowe is second. The list is posted earlier in the thread.

I stand corrected.

But that's a category you don't want to be among the league's best at.

BigChiefFan
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM
He's 2nd behind Braylon Edwards.

And honestly, all this talk of drops is ridiculously overrated.

Bowe has less than 1 per game. 13 drops/14 games. .92 drops per game.

Brandon Marshall has 11 drops in 13 games.

And I'd like to know what constitutes a drop.

Who is judging whether a pass was dropped, or properly defensed?

You're talking about a judgment call. I'm sure there's NO margin for error.

It would really suck to have Terrell Owens...If it hits your hands and you don't catch it, that constitutes a drop.

Micjones
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd like to know what constitutes a drop.

Really?
You've got some way to spin not coming down with a pass that hits you in both hands? That can be called something other than a "dropped" pass? Come on OTW.

It would really suck to have Terrell Owens...

When he starts posting TO type numbers we can revisit this comment.

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow.

This place has sunk to a new level of stupidity.

Bowe is having a disappointing season?

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Here's a list of guys you may have heard of, who did less than Bowe in their first 2 years:

Andre Johnson: 3/6 seasons under 1000 yards. Had never broken 1150 until THIS year - his 6th in the league.

Only KC fans (and Whitlock) would be retarded enough to bitch about a guy that has produced more in his first 2 years than 95% of the WR's in the league - and done it with Damon fucking Huard and Tyler Thigpen throwing him the ball.

And don't forget that he's getting all of those stats with Gonzo playing TE next to him. The dude is basically the 2nd receiver on this team and he's getting those catches.

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Really?
You've got some way to spin not coming down with a pass that hits you in both hands? That can be called something other than a "dropped" pass? Come on OTW.

Think outside the box, FFS.

What if the ball is tipped, deflected, etc - changes direction - yet the receiver gets his hands on it?

Drop?

Overthrows. Balls thrown low. Behind.

The point is that it's not always black/white. Someone has to make a JUDGMENT.

When he starts posting TO type numbers we can revisit this comment.

Is he supposed to travel forward in time to be a 5th year player?

The guy has played 2 seasons, and has better numbers in those 2 seasons than the majority of guys we call superstars in this league.

Guess I have to do this again...

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Guess I have to do this again...

It's an interesting list. One thing, however, is that Bowe lacks the break away speed that many of these players possess. His football talent, therefore, will likely never rival TO, who was a 4.36 guy. Bowe is around 4.5. Obviously, we know this is a big difference when talking about top athletes.

The best comparison might be a Brandon Marshall. Big guy, similar speed. It would be tough to ask for much more than this.

Micjones
12-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Think outside the box, FFS.

What if the ball is tipped, deflected, etc - changes direction - yet the receiver gets his hands on it?

Drop?

Overthrows. Balls thrown low. Behind.

The point is that it's not always black/white. Someone has to make a JUDGMENT.

I know full well that the pass itself is a contributing factor, but I think we can agree that if a ball hits you in both hands...you should come down with it.

Bowe makes the kinds of catches I expect him to drop.
And he drops the passes he should be hauling in...in his sleep.

Is he supposed to travel forward in time to be a 5th year player?

You have to be a 5 year veteran to catch catchable balls?

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I know full well that the pass itself is a contributing factor, but I think we can agree that if a ball hits you in both hands...you should come down with it.

Bowe makes the kinds of catches I expect him to drop.
And he drops the passes he should be hauling in...in his sleep.

You have to be a 5 year veteran to catch catchable balls?

I like how you conveniently left off the rest of the post, and didn't bother to comment on it...

Demonpenz
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
obviously

CoMoChief
12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
It's an interesting list. One thing, however, is that Bowe lacks the break away speed that many of these players possess. His football talent, therefore, will likely never rival TO, who was a 4.36 guy. Bowe is around 4.5. Obviously, we know this is a big difference when talking about top athletes.

The best comparison might be a Brandon Marshall. Big guy, similar speed. It would be tough to ask for much more than this.

TO ran a 4.6 at the combine from what I've read and heard.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
TO ran a 4.6 at the combine from what I've read and heard.

I did a Google search to come up with my number. Obviously, I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it does seem that TO does (did?) have another gear.

Micjones
12-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I like how you conveniently left off the rest of the post, and didn't bother to comment on it...

What exactly shall I say?
That since he's outperforming players who are currently being considered the best WR's in the league that it's OKAY that he's dropping catchable balls?

That's no excuse in my mind.
The fact that he's been so productive to open up his career is every reason why the drops need to be cut down.

Fish
12-15-2008, 01:47 PM
What exactly shall I say?
That since he's outperforming players who are currently being considered the best WR's in the league that it's OKAY that he's dropping catchable balls?

Yes, pretty much. OTW has shown a trend that some of the best WRs in the game don't start off with pro-bowl consistency. It's a process that takes time.

That's no excuse in my mind.
The fact that he's been so productive to open up his career is every reason why the drops need to be cut down.

I don't think he's using that as an excuse. He's trying to point out that he has plenty time to improve that portion of his game, and the rest of his game is coming along faster than most top WRs. And you're focusing on an area of his game that is debatable as far as it's a judgment call and not a black/white stat.

Micjones
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Yes, pretty much. OTW has shown a trend that some of the best WRs in the game don't start off with pro-bowl consistency. It's a process that takes time.

Of the players he mentioned...

*Andre Johnson had a very impressive two-year start to his career.
His and Bowe's numbers are comparable.

*Roddy White didn't become a full-time starter until last season.

*Steve Smith didn't become a full-time starter until his sophomore season.

*Reggie Wayne didn't become a full-time starter until his third season.

*Lee Evans had fewer than 50 catches in each of his first 2 seasons, but he was able to haul in 16 TD's.

*Owens wasn't a #1 receiver in '96. That team had Jerry Rice. They threw more balls to Terry Kirby, a RB.

*Braylon Edwards didn't become a full-time starter until his second season and if you look at his first two seasons as a full-time starter they're clearly better than Bowe's.

*Marvin Harrison's numbers were clearly inferior. No argument there.

dtebbe
12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Ok, this was funny:

•Glenn Dorsey: Owns a 7,000-square-foot mansion at the line of scrimmage and rarely leaves home on Sundays.

I think Bowe will get better with time. He is damn good after the catch.

DT

Fish
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Of the players he mentioned...

*Andre Johnson had a very impressive two-year start to his career.
His and Bowe's numbers are comparable.

*Roddy White didn't become a full-time starter until last season.

*Steve Smith didn't become a full-time starter until his sophomore season.

*Reggie Wayne didn't become a full-time starter until his third season.

*Lee Evans had fewer than 50 catches in each of his first 2 seasons, but he was able to haul in 16 TD's.

*Owens wasn't a #1 receiver in '96. That team had Jerry Rice. They threw more balls to Terry Kirby, a RB.

*Braylon Edwards didn't become a full-time starter until his second season and if you look at his first two seasons as a full-time starter they're clearly better than Bowe's.

*Marvin Harrison's numbers were clearly inferior. No argument there.

Those stats are nice, but how does that give credence to your opinion that Bowe shouldn't be dropping passes in his second season? I don't understand what you're trying to prove with these stats?

StcChief
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Bowe has dropped some easy ones, hard ones.... the ONside kick... very unlucky or was it knocked out.?