PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Posnanski: Ready, aim — fire everybody

Tribal Warfare
12-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Ready, aim — fire everybody (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/937307.html)

OK, I’m convinced now. Fire everybody. Fire Carl. Fire Herm. Fire Gunther. Fire the players. After that game, there’s really nothing to say but: Fire them all. And they should not stop there. The Chiefs should hire Greg Robinson back just so they can fire him again. They should call John Mackovic just to remind him that he got fired. They should bring in Donald Trump to walk through Arrowhead’s coaches offices and the locker room, just so everyone will fully understand what’s going on.

Everyone who would care knows that I’ve been holding out on the firing thing — holding out because I like Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, holding out because Gunther Cunningham has always been one of my favorite people, holding out because, even though I’ve written that Carl Peterson should be replaced, I do appreciate what he did for the Chiefs his first decade. And anyway, we are talking about real people with real families and real feelings; it’s a harsh thing to write in the newspaper that someone should lose their job, especially in times like these.

But … really, what else is there to say after the Chiefs’ utterly remarkable 22-21 loss to San Diego on Sunday at Arrowhead. I tried to come up with some positive thoughts about the game, even wrote them down, but as I look at the list now, it doesn’t seem especially impressive.

Nine positives to be taken from Sunday’s loss to San Diego.

1. Nobody set themselves on fire.

2. Nobody’s pants fell down; and that’s a full four quarters of pants-up football.

3. The Chiefs players did not start punching each other on the sidelines.

4. All the Chiefs players remembered to wear helmets and shoes.

5. Nobody set themselves on fire … oh, wait, used that one already.

5. Not one Chiefs player was abducted by aliens (the last concerns were relieved when rookie defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey was spotted running off the field in the fourth quarter).

6. The Chiefs sacked San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers three times on Sunday — that’s a season high. That gives the Chiefs nine sacks for the season, and five of them were sacks of Rivers.

7. No Chiefs player, at last check, contracted measles.

8. Herm Edwards did not try to trade an open Senate seat for campaign contributions.

9. Carl Peterson did not draft Trezelle Jenkins again.

That was pretty much all I could come up with. And really, even if you total up all the positive vibes, it probably does not quite make up for the astounding way that the Chiefs blew an 11-point lead in the final 5 minutes Sunday.

They blew it by punting on fourth and inches, then by allowing the Chargers to drive 89 yards in about 3 1/2 minutes (all without using a timeout), then by Dwayne Bowe dropping the onside kick, then by forgetting to cover a Chargers receiver deep (even though they were in a coverage conveniently designed to have four defensive backs deep), then by forgetting to cover a receiver in the end zone, then by pulling out their Three Stooges playbook for the final offensive drive, then by missing a 50-yard field goal at the buzzer.

The only thing missing was the “Psycho” music and the see-through shower curtain.

And the truth is that, after that sort of mind-shattering collapse, it’s hard to come up with a single good reason why anybody involved with the Chiefs should be back next season. Sure, everyone knew that this year would be trying, that there would be more losses than wins, that young players would make lots of mistakes. But there was no way to see this mess coming.

The Chiefs are 2-12. They have been shut out, they have been caught from behind, they have been humiliated, and now they have crossed over to comedy. People around the Chiefs talk about how the team is taking positive steps, but more and more that just seems like spin. What we need is a cold splash of reality, sent in by one of many frustrated readers:

“I’m not saying this team’s got to win 10 or 11 games next year. But I expect us to be competitive for a playoff spot. Certainly, if we’re 4-12 again that would be a failure, or anywhere close to 4-12.”

That quote came from Chiefs owner Clark Hunt back in January. Well, the Chiefs were out of the playoff chase in week one. They can go no better than 4-12 — and they can only get there if they beat Miami and Cincinnati the last two weeks. The Chiefs are a failure, and it’s now up to Hunt to figure out what to do about it.

My sense is that he would like to give it one more year. That seems his patient personality. Peterson has only one year left on his contract; and I feel certain that Hunt would rather not push him out when he’s so close to the finish line. Hunt promised Herm Edwards a fair chance to rebuild this team from scratch, and I’m sure that Hunt would like to give him another year to do that. I understand the temptation to give it one more year and hope for the best.

Can that realistically work, though? I don’t see how. It’s hard to imagine making no major changes after this calamity of a season. How do you explain that to the fans?

On Sunday — after almost a full season of coaching and teaching and working together — the Chiefs played a mediocre and thoroughly uninspired Chargers team at home, and they could not hold an 11-point lead in the final minutes. The offense could not make a play. The defense could not make a play. The special teams could not make a play. The coaches could not make a play. You can’t get a more clear-cut debacle than that.

This thing is not going in the right direction. That’s clear now, and it’s unavoidable. Clark Hunt needs to do something he doesn’t want to do. Yes, it is true that nobody set himself on fire. But the season is not over yet.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/937307.html

OK, I’m convinced now. Fire everybody. Fire Carl. Fire Herm. Fire Gunther. Fire the players. After that game, there’s really nothing to say but: Fire them all. And they should not stop there. The Chiefs should hire Greg Robinson back just so they can fire him again. They should call John Mackovic just to remind him that he got fired. They should bring in Donald Trump to walk through Arrowhead’s coaches offices and the locker room, just so everyone will fully understand what’s going on.

Everyone who would care knows that I’ve been holding out on the firing thing — holding out because I like Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, holding out because Gunther Cunningham has always been one of my favorite people, holding out because, even though I’ve written that Carl Peterson should be replaced, I do appreciate what he did for the Chiefs his first decade. And anyway, we are talking about real people with real families and real feelings; it’s a harsh thing to write in the newspaper that someone should lose their job, especially in times like these.

But … really, what else is there to say after the Chiefs’ utterly remarkable 22-21 loss to San Diego on Sunday at Arrowhead. I tried to come up with some positive thoughts about the game, even wrote them down, but as I look at the list now, it doesn’t seem especially impressive.

Nine positives to be taken from Sunday’s loss to San Diego.

1. Nobody set themselves on fire.

2. Nobody’s pants fell down; and that’s a full four quarters of pants-up football.

3. The Chiefs players did not start punching each other on the sidelines.

4. All the Chiefs players remembered to wear helmets and shoes.

5. Nobody set themselves on fire … oh, wait, used that one already.

5. Not one Chiefs player was abducted by aliens (the last concerns were relieved when rookie defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey was spotted running off the field in the fourth quarter).

6. The Chiefs sacked San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers three times on Sunday — that’s a season high. That gives the Chiefs nine sacks for the season, and five of them were sacks of Rivers.

7. No Chiefs player, at last check, contracted measles.

8. Herm Edwards did not try to trade an open Senate seat for campaign contributions.

9. Carl Peterson did not draft Trezelle Jenkins again.

That was pretty much all I could come up with. And really, even if you total up all the positive vibes, it probably does not quite make up for the astounding way that the Chiefs blew an 11-point lead in the final 5 minutes Sunday.

They blew it by punting on fourth and inches, then by allowing the Chargers to drive 89 yards in about 3 1/2 minutes (all without using a timeout), then by Dwayne Bowe dropping the onside kick, then by forgetting to cover a Chargers receiver deep (even though they were in a coverage conveniently designed to have four defensive backs deep), then by forgetting to cover a receiver in the end zone, then by pulling out their Three Stooges playbook for the final offensive drive, then by missing a 50-yard field goal at the buzzer.

The only thing missing was the “Psycho” music and the see-through shower curtain.

And the truth is that, after that sort of mind-shattering collapse, it’s hard to come up with a single good reason why anybody involved with the Chiefs should be back next season. Sure, everyone knew that this year would be trying, that there would be more losses than wins, that young players would make lots of mistakes. But there was no way to see this mess coming.

The Chiefs are 2-12. They have been shut out, they have been caught from behind, they have been humiliated, and now they have crossed over to comedy. People around the Chiefs talk about how the team is taking positive steps, but more and more that just seems like spin. What we need is a cold splash of reality, sent in by one of many frustrated readers:

“I’m not saying this team’s got to win 10 or 11 games next year. But I expect us to be competitive for a playoff spot. Certainly, if we’re 4-12 again that would be a failure, or anywhere close to 4-12.”

That quote came from Chiefs owner Clark Hunt back in January. Well, the Chiefs were out of the playoff chase in week one. They can go no better than 4-12 — and they can only get there if they beat Miami and Cincinnati the last two weeks. The Chiefs are a failure, and it’s now up to Hunt to figure out what to do about it.

My sense is that he would like to give it one more year. That seems his patient personality. Peterson has only one year left on his contract; and I feel certain that Hunt would rather not push him out when he’s so close to the finish line. Hunt promised Herm Edwards a fair chance to rebuild this team from scratch, and I’m sure that Hunt would like to give him another year to do that. I understand the temptation to give it one more year and hope for the best.

Can that realistically work, though? I don’t see how. It’s hard to imagine making no major changes after this calamity of a season. How do you explain that to the fans?

On Sunday — after almost a full season of coaching and teaching and working together — the Chiefs played a mediocre and thoroughly uninspired Chargers team at home, and they could not hold an 11-point lead in the final minutes. The offense could not make a play. The defense could not make a play. The special teams could not make a play. The coaches could not make a play. You can’t get a more clear-cut debacle than that.

This thing is not going in the right direction. That’s clear now, and it’s unavoidable. Clark Hunt needs to do something he doesn’t want to do. Yes, it is true that nobody set himself on fire. But the season is not over yet.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Mods, please delete. Bested by a minute.

FringeNC
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
wow.

blueballs
I nsut sht myse.,f

Hammock Parties
JoPo brings the fucking axe down.

blueballs
12-15-2008, 12:08 AM
It/sa trs,,y fqatthyof two posts

T-post Tom
12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
"The Chiefs should hire Greg Robinson back just so they can fire him again."

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

DeezNutz
And the Herm regime has officially ended.

Paniero
I always hated Animal from the Muppet Babies.

Give me Grover any day of the week. At least my cookies are safe when he's around.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Here's the problem:

He's right, but he also admitted to willingly curbing his own opinion on what the Chiefs should do with Herm and Gunther because he likes them and Carl because of 15 fucking years ago.

And that is the problem with the KC media. Herm and Gun aren't your friends, they're part of your job.

It's also harsh to advocate for Herm losing his job--when he makes 3 million a year and gets paid the entirety of the contract regardless, because the economy is bad?

Stupid.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM

Nick told me to tonight he doesn't think Herm will survive this loss.

FringeNC
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM

Great -- a 5-year extension.

Buehler445
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Wow. That was actually a really good read.

Thanks TW.

But that's absolutely true. There are no excuses for these horsefuckers in the front office anymore.

TEX
12-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Let the TRUTH be told! Great read. :clap:

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:15 AM

As I stated in another thread, the final 8 weeks were to constitute the grade card, if you will, for the season. This collapse is damning evidence against Herm and co. and will be evidence "A" for the fire. The play of the defense (and fair or not, especially the play of Dorsey) will be evidence "1A."

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:16 AM
There are no excuses for these horsefuckers in the front office anymore.

If a housecleaning is ahead, there's no reason the Chiefs should not make an extremely aggressive attempt to move up for Stafford. Do it the right way. New GM, new head coach, new quarterback. A completely fresh start. A new head coach isn't going to want to deal with this spread offense bullshit, so Thigpen gets sent back to the bench.

Great -- a 5-year extension.ROFL

TEX

Lets ****ing hope so. It never should have begun...:shake:

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Ok so who's gonna rip on Jopo for railing on Dorsey, people do it to Whitlock when he does it...

jidar
12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
You know, all that time Big Bird was on Seasame Street, he was naked.

blueballs
12-15-2008, 12:18 AM
something's in the air
too many KC Star articles clammering for change
they don't take chances -other than Fatlock

Boris The Great
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok so who\'s gonna rip on Jopo for railing on Dorsey, people do it to Whitlock when he does it...

JoPo doesnt have a history of going after Dorsey before a single game was played, now does he?

Rain Man
12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that at least one player set himself on fire.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
JoPo doesnt have a history of going after Dorsey before a single game was played, now does he?

We'll see by next season probably what Dorsey is going to be, if he's lazy or shows up out of shape or hasn't gotten stronger any of that, giant red flag.

triple
12-15-2008, 12:24 AM

great, he's coming back for sure now

T-post Tom
12-15-2008, 12:24 AM
If a housecleaning is ahead, there's no reason the Chiefs should not make an extremely aggressive attempt to move up for Stafford. Do it the right way. New GM, new head coach, new quarterback. A completely fresh start. A new head coach isn't going to want to deal with this spread offense bullshit, so Thigpen gets sent back to the bench.

Yes, but at this rate they may not have to move up... :shake: The Lions aren't going to draft him. (Too stupid.) The Bengals aren't going to draft him. So all we have to do is suck worse than the Rams.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Yes, but at this rate they may not have to move up... :shake:

Detroit would need to win out and we'd need to lose out + win tiebreakers.

I think we can get the #3 pick. Trading from 3 to 1 shouldn't take a monumental package.

JOhn
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM

No, I think that was a fan seting there season tickets on fire

Direckshun
We'll see by next season probably what Dorsey is going to be, if he's lazy or shows up out of shape or hasn't gotten stronger any of that, giant red flag.

Gotten stronger?

He outlifted every other DL at the combine.

It's all technique.

T-post Tom

I think we can get the #3 pick. Trading from 3 to 1 shouldn't take a monumental package.

Detroit's too stupid to draft him. They're destined to draft a WR.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:29 AM

If we lose out, we finish #2. We could trade up for a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th.

Personally, I'd rather trade our #1, #2, and get back the Lions 4th.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:30 AM

Hell, trade next year's #1 if they put up a fight. He's worth it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Gotten stronger?

It's all technique.

He wasn't even in the top 10 for linemen.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Detroit's too stupid to draft him. They're destined to draft a WR.

Maybe he'll pull an Elway and refuse to play for Detroit.

He can't possible refuse the Lions AND the Chiefs, can he? :D

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Gotten stronger?

It's all technique.

Lets talk relation to the rest of the NFL and not college dudes ok? If you think he's remotely as strong as most NFL DT's he's not...he's also smallish by NFL standards and yes he has bad technique and a bad coach..

The Chiefs are behind the curve on this DT thing, Dorsey is fine but lining him up next to another smallish DT is just bad. Most teams now are going to the big 340lb DT's. Look at Haynesworth he literally makes every Chiefs guy look small.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:32 AM

I wonder how the Lions feel about Pro Bowl running backs and Hall of Fame tight ends.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:32 AM

If we traded picks to move up for a QB, this board and the fan base would explode, that's to risky for this market. And then we'd have to deal with Thigpen is the guy shit for months and how the defense is more important...joy.

Tribal Warfare
12-15-2008, 12:33 AM

Well some Georgia Bulldog Fan on here said that the Stafford family has connections to the Hunts and he might do that.

Direckshun
He wasn't even in the top 10 for linemen.

Thought he lifted in the upper 30's.

Mecca
I wonder how the Lions feel about Pro Bowl running backs and Hall of Fame tight ends.

If it's anything like this fan base they'd give us 10 1st round draft picks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:35 AM

No. Ellis lifted 32, Laws did 35, and Gholston put up 37.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-bench-press

T-post Tom
12-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Gotten stronger?

It's all technique.

And that comes from coaching. So many high draft picks on the D-Line and so little production. The coaching has to improve.

You can't hire another team's coach unless it's a promotion. So what if the Chiefs sought out the best DL coach in the NFL, & offered him a job as "Asst. DC"? (Along with a bunch of $$) Would that circumvent the rule?

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:36 AM
My hope is that Detroit goes after Cassell (sp?).

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:37 AM
This team is just full of horrendous coaches but DT is a desire position, if a guy is lazy at all he won't be good. Lazy in the offseason and he's out of shape and not strong enough, lazy in a game and you'll get gashed for a huge run, and that's just if he's lazy on 1 play.

Tribal Warfare

27 reps, for a guy with long arms that isn't bad though

'Hamas' Jenkins
And that comes from coaching. So many high draft picks on the D-Line and so little production. The coaching has to improve.

You can't hire another team's coach unless it's a promotion. So what if the Chiefs sought out the best DL coach in the NFL, & offered him a job as "Asst. DC"? (Along with a bunch of $$) Would that circumvent the rule?

Yes.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Who are the teams in the potential top five at this point?

Cincy?
Detroit?
Rams?
Seahawks?

All of those teams, except for Cincy, would opt for Stafford. Our luck just isn't that great.

T-post Tom
12-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Maybe he'll be the first draftee to light himself on fire. :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
This team is just full of horrendous coaches but DT is a desire position, if a guy is lazy at all he won't be good. Lazy in the offseason and he's out of shape and not strong enough, lazy in a game and you'll get gashed for a huge run, and that's just if he's lazy on 1 play.

The guy is absolutely not lazy. Read his interviews going up to the draft, he expressed no concern about any position, whether it was 3-4 NT or undertackle in a 4-3. He said he'd gain or lose weight, whatever the coaches told him. I can guarantee you, that he's not selling a bill of goods. That guy legitimately cares. He's just a rookie. He's not Frank Okam.

DeezNutz
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM

Cincy?
Detroit?
Rams?
Seahawks?

All of those teams, except for Cincy, would opt for Stafford. Our luck just isn't that great.

Rams and Seahawks have a lot of money already tied up in the position, so this might affect their decisions.

T-post Tom
12-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Yes.

Well sir, send the memo to Clark Hunt and let's get this train moving.

Hammock Parties
The thing I like about picking Stafford is our offense is at a point now where he could be very comfortable, assuming we hire the right offensive coaches who can identify one or two offensive linemen in free agency/the draft.

With Albert, Bowe, Gonzalez, Bradley, Johnson and Charles there are PLENTY of weapons. Add another WR and it looks even better. Maybe Franklin, who was outstanding today.

Mecca

Cincy?
Detroit?
Rams?
Seahawks?

The Rams are going to take one of the OT's they were pretty upset that Jake Long went 1st from what I heard.

I honestly think the best players this team has had have skewed some of the views....things like RG's, TE's, RB's and the retard obsession with fullback, those are all complimentary positions.

Maybe he'll be the first draftee to light himself on fire. :)God that is so true.ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Cincy?
Detroit?
Rams?
Seahawks?

We'd have to win out to go ahead of the Seahawks. That's not happening. If we finished tied with the Rams, we jump them. Hell, the Rams could beat Arizona, they are fucking terrible right now and Stephen Jackson is finally healthy.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:41 AM
The guy is absolutely not lazy. Read his interviews going up to the draft, he expressed no concern about any position, whether it was 3-4 NT or undertackle in a 4-3. He said he'd gain or lose weight, whatever the coaches told him. I can guarantee you, that he's not selling a bill of goods. That guy legitimately cares. He's just a rookie. He's not Frank Okam.

Hey Frank Okams scouting report was awesome, it said there was concern that he was to smart to be good like he would question doing something that would fuck up his body because he was smarter than most players.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:42 AM
The thing I like about picking Stafford is our offense is at a point now where he could be very comfortable, assuming we hire the right offensive coaches who can identify one or two offensive linemen in free agency/the draft.

With Albert, Bowe, Gonzalez, Bradley, Johnson and Charles there are PLENTY of weapons. Add another WR and it looks even better. Maybe Franklin, who was outstanding today.

Well I'd hope we wouldn't be running this stupid spread shit.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Don't get me hoping for Stafford, guys.

Detroit will take him. If they don't and the Seahawks are ahead of us, he's gone.

If the Rams grow a brain, he's there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:44 AM

You can't give a top 5 QB a better situation to go into on offense. This team has tools. We just need two/three O-lineman and we can get two of them in the draft and one in FA, and that's a worst case scenario, as you also assume that Niswanger can't go back to RG and play and that Taylor and Richardson can't play G, and that Richardson can't play RT (which are likely, but not impossible).

Wilson8
Games of interest to the Chiefs and their race to get the best draft pick they can get…

Next week –

Saints @ Lions (0 -14)
Bengals (3 -9 – 1) @ Browns ( 4 – 9) Playing Monday night
Jets @ Seahawks (3 – 11).
Texans @ Raiders (3 – 11)
49ers @ Rams (2- 12)
Dolphins @ Chiefs (2 – 12)

Last week of regular season –
Lions @ Packers
Browns @ Steelers
Raiders @ Bucks –
Seahawks @ Cards –
Rams @ Falcons –
Chiefs @ Bengals

T-post Tom

I agree, he's no Ryan Sims. He excelled in college on pure athleticism. Can't do that in the NFL. Not against NFL o-linemen. He needs to improve his technique & it doesn't appear that the current coaching staff has helped him do that. He still has a lot of upside. We need new coaches (and maybe even a salty veteran) to come in & help him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Don't get me hoping for Stafford, guys.

Detroit will take him. If they don't and the Seahawks are ahead of us, he's gone.

If the Rams grow a brain, he's there.

The Seahawks cannot finish ahead of the Chiefs. Period. We'd have to win out. That's not happening.

Hammock Parties
Well I'd hope we wouldn't be running this stupid spread shit.

It's just a crutch for Thigpen. And Sackintosh.

Albert and the rest of those dudes were playing well even in the RRPP.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Well I'm pretty certain the Dolphins will knock the Chiefs around.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Games of interest to the Chiefs and their race to get the best draft pick they can get…

Next week –

Saints @ Lions (0 -14)
Bengals (3 -9 – 1) @ Browns ( 4 – 9) Playing Monday night
Jets @ Seahawks (3 – 11).
Texans @ Raiders (3 – 11)
49ers @ Rams (2- 12)
Dolphins @ Chiefs (2 – 12)

Last week of regular season –
Lions @ Packers
Browns @ Steelers
Raiders @ Bucks –
Seahawks @ Cards –
Rams @ Falcons –
Chiefs @ Bengals

Cincy could absolutely win that Browns game, and the Rams can win as well. If those both happen and we lose to Miami, we clinch #2.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey Frank Okams scouting report was awesome, it said there was concern that he was to smart to be good like he would question doing something that would **** up his body because he was smarter than most players.

I'm sure there was a concern about the school he played for, right? :D

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
"You play to get your coach fired!"

Mecca
It's just a crutch for Thigpen. And Sackintosh.

Albert and the rest of those dudes were playing well even in the RRPP.

I love how we need a crutch to go 2-14 with a 3rd string QB, and then it makes people think he's the QB of the future.....excuse me while I smack my head off the wall.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey Frank Okams scouting report was awesome, it said there was concern that he was to smart to be good like he would question doing something that would fuck up his body because he was smarter than most players.

He was awesome. Dorsey said he'd do anything the coaches told him. Okam wouldn't. He's not a "sell your body out" guy, and you have to be one of those to play lineman or RB in the NFL.

Mecca
I'm sure there was a concern about the school he played for, right? :D

LOL, you have to admit any scouting report saying he's possibly to smart to be a good player at his position is down right hilarious.

Hammock Parties
You can't give a top 5 QB a better situation to go into on offense. This team has tools. We just need two/three O-lineman and we can get two of them in the draft and one in FA, and that's a worst case scenario, as you also assume that Niswanger can't go back to RG and play and that Taylor and Richardson can't play G, and that Richardson can't play RT (which are likely, but not impossible).

Yep, very, very true.

We can't sit here and wait around until we have the offensive line of the Vermeil Chiefs. No situation is ever going to be completely perfect.

We gotta be aggressive and go get the son of a bitch. Martz will be fired, give him 10 million to be QB coach lol.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:48 AM
He was awesome. Dorsey said he'd do anything the coaches told him. Okam wouldn't. He's not a "sell your body out" guy, and you have to be one of those to play lineman or RB in the NFL.

Yea basically he's to smart to kill himself because he realizes what it does.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:49 AM
How likely is it the Lions want Stafford?

How are the Lions at LT? I bet they can start a bidding war between the three OTs and get a bargain at #1 overall.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:50 AM

Why wouldn't they want him at this point? Dan Orlovsky is no Tyler Thigpen. :D

They'd be nuts not to team up Stafford with Calvin Johnson. Can you imagine what they would have done together in college?

Mecca

How are the Lions at LT? I bet they can start a bidding war between the three OTs and get a bargain at #1 overall.

They have that Backus guy and drafted a dude in the first round this past year....their fans seem to want Oher but it's Detroit and they seem to have a stupid fan base.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Yep, very, very true.

We can't sit here and wait around until we have the offensive line of the Vermeil Chiefs. No situation is ever going to be completely perfect.

We gotta be aggressive and go get the son of a bitch. Martz will be fired, give him 10 million to be QB coach lol.

You've got to understand that 90% of these fans are addicts. They don't care about the long term consequences, they just want their Sunday fix. If the team wins today, it's fine, and that's all that matters. Their entire fandom is rooted in the fear of busted draft picks, so they go with the safe thing, win today and if our #1 pick busts, it doesn't matter that much because he was #18

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:51 AM

...kills you?

FringeNC
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM

I wonder if C_Hunt remembers making that statement?

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
You've got to understand that 90% of these fans are addicts. They don't care about the long term consequences, they just want their Sunday fix. If the team wins today, it's fine, and that's all that matters. Their entire fandom is rooted in the fear of busted draft picks, so they go with the safe thing, win today and if our #1 pick busts, it doesn't matter that much because he was #18

You mean like arguing to take a OT first because if he doesn't work out he can be a OG?

I still think it's rooted in that thing I've said before. Alot of fans just want their good time party excuse to get drunk on Sundays and the Chiefs being bad has ruined that, they were fine with their team winning most of the home games and having 8-10 win seasons.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:53 AM
They have that Backus guy and drafted a dude in the first round this past year....their fans seem to want Oher but it's Detroit and they seem to have a stupid fan base.

One Lions fan sent me this message:

...if by stafford you mean oher and selvie (special thanks to the cowboys for that one), then you are correct, haha.

I promise Stafford will still be there after the Lions pick. We know one of your fans - who shall remain nameless - was recently "offering up seats on the Matt Stafford Bandwagon... all aboard," haha. We will let him show his athleticism, then make terrible decisions and greatly underachieve (with talent all around him) in KC.

By the way, check out the pictures. Stafford at a Nascar race a few years ago. Looks like a Chief to me!

http://deepsouthsports.blo<wbr>gspot.com/2007/05/talledeg<wbr>a-days.html (http://deepsouthsports.blogspot.com/2007/05/talledega-days.html)
^at least he made up for man-on-man cuddle time by posing with that girl... wow

Ok i keep trying to get this picture of mark sanchez posted, but it wont work... the point is he is a winner, as well.

------------------

And a very knowledgeable fan by most accounts.

Wilson8
If you look at free agents for 2009 offensive line and linebacker probably have some of the best pickups for the Chiefs. QB free agents...not much there.

Mecca
LOL ESPN just flashed Todd McShays top 5....

Detroit-Sam Bradford

St Louis-Andre Smith

KC-Matt Stafford

Cincy-Aaron Maybin

Seattle-Michael Crabtree

So there you go the Todd McShay top 5.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Tyler Thigpen is exciting Mecca, he CATCHES touchdown passes. Stafford can't do that!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:55 AM

That's why I always flamed out working retail jobs as a kid. Smart people see through that bullshit. Some of the evaluations I got were hilarious.

"Knows a lot about the products, but doesn't seem to take coaching well."

:hmmm: maybe that's because your "coaching" boiled down to "Hey, we want people to spend all of their discretionary income on overpriced shit they don't need that they could get cheaper elsewhere."

Wilson8
12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
On ESPN - Todd McShay's draft...
Lions - QB Bradford
Rams - OT Smith
Chiefs - QB Stafford
Bengals - DE Maybin

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Aaron Maybin weighs 230 fucking pounds.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I just don't think Bradford declares.

Andre Smith I see. But if Detroit is really QB hungry then we're screwed.

Or we're set for Maualuga or a workout warrior DE.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I just don't think Bradford declares.

Andre Smith I see. But if Detroit is really QB hungry then we're screwed.

Or we're set for Maualuga or a workout warrior DE.

Where is easyb to tell us that Aaron Curry is the greatest LB prospect of all time?

Hammock Parties
By the way, check out the pictures. Stafford at a Nascar race a few years ago. Looks like a Chief to me!

http://deepsouthsports.blo<wbr>gspot.com/2007/05/talledeg<wbr>a-days.html (http://deepsouthsports.blogspot.com/2007/05/talledega-days.html)

What I really dig about those Stafford pictures is he's an ugly fucker.

The fact he's not a pretty boy increases his chances of success. Look at the ugly first-round quarterbacks who blew up - Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, etc.

Those guys know they're fucked if they don't throw 30 TDs a year. They aren't going to go into modeling like Matt Leinart. No amount of sexy stubble can save them if they become busts. No pussy if they stop leading fourth-quarter comebacks.

I wonder how many of the quarterbacks in the hall of fame were ugly. I bet a surprisingly high number. Bart Starr was certainly ugly as hell.

Matthew Stafford can redefine the term "big ugly."

'Hamas' Jenkins
http://bp3.blogger.com/_aBun-fJmULo/Rjn32PBwcoI/AAAAAAAAAHo/08V3m79z2q8/s400/Pic__5.jpg

For as much as KC fans loved that dumbass mulleted fuck Jared Allen, you'd think they'd be infatuated with a guy like this.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_aBun-fJmULo/Rjn32PBwcpI/AAAAAAAAAHw/xeU2_J1M1Kc/s400/Pic__1.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_aBun-fJmULo/Rjn32PBwcqI/AAAAAAAAAH4/uiS7vSHVbM8/s400/Pic__2.jpghttp://bp1.blogger.com/_aBun-fJmULo/Rjn63vBwcsI/AAAAAAAAAII/3dZKDBhm2Nc/s400/Pic__3__Stafford_and_Cox__of_course_Cox_is_on_the_ground_.jpg

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:00 AM
That girl is to good looking for this market, that's the problem.

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Dear god, he's perfect.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
What I really dig about those Stafford pictures is he's an ugly fucker.

The fact he's not a pretty boy increases his chances of success. Look at the ugly first-round quarterbacks who blew up - Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, etc.

Those guys know they're fucked if they don't throw 30 TDs a year. They aren't going to go into modeling like Matt Leinart. No amount of sexy stubble can save them if they become busts.

I wonder how many of the quarterbacks in the hall of fame were ugly. I bet a surprisingly high number. Bart Starr was certainly ugly as hell.

Matthew Stafford can redefine the term "big ugly."

LMAO LMAO LMAO.

I should bump my "All Ugly" Thread from two years ago.

Montana was pretty ugly. Aikman, Young, Brady are all pretty handsome guys, and Favre has the rugged thing going for him.

Namath and Unitas were hideous. Same for Bradshaw, Y.A. Tittle, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, that old sonofabitch Sunny Jurgenson, Jim Plunkett won two SB's and he was a grotesque cocksucker.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Jesus! Look at this guy's mug. It screams "I throw touchdowns for pussy."

http://kellywegelphoto.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/1008kwegelfbcfeaturestafford.jpg

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 01:03 AM
That girl is to good looking for this market, that's the problem.

Pffft, put some heavy makeup on her and slip on some thigh highs to make her a Chiefs cheerleader and you'd say the opposite.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Also you know the Chiefs won't take Maualuga they were the team that bitched about Polamalu's hair.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
LMAO LMAO LMAO.

I should bump my "All Ugly" Thread from two years ago.

Montana was pretty ugly. Aikman, Young, Brady are all pretty handsome guys, and Favre has the rugged thing going for him.

Namath and Unitas were hideous. Same for Bradshaw, Y.A. Tittle, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, that old sonofabitch Sunny Jurgenson, Jim Plunkett won two SB's and he was a grotesque cocksucker.

Holy shit, Tittle looked 70.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x269/andrewhunter/Baseball/9787.jpg

Montana was actually pretty good looking, IMO. He'd have been Brodie Croyle without Bill Walsh, though. I'm guessing that shaving commercial he did with Jennifer Montana was actually a secret Bill Walsh conspiracy to give him a big ugly scar, but it backfired.

TrickyNicky
12-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Pffft, put some heavy makeup on her and slip on some thigh highs to make her a Chiefs cheerleader and you'd say the opposite.

What? She can't be a Chiefs cheerleader. She doesn't have an Adam's apple.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Ugly QBs in bold

Troy Aikman (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=254) 1989-2000
George Blanda (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=29) (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
Terry Bradshaw (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=31) 1970-1983
Len Dawson (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=53) 1957-1975
John Elway (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=64) 1983-1998
Dan Fouts (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=71) 1973-1987
Otto Graham (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=77) 1946-1955
Bob Griese (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=82) 1967-1980
Sonny Jurgensen (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=111) 1957-1974
Jim Kelly (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=112) 1986-1996
Bobby Layne (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=126) 1948-1962
Dan Marino (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=238) 1983-1999 Joe Montana (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=154) 1979-1994
Warren Moon (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=256) 1984-2000
Joe Namath (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=161) 1965-1977
Bart Starr (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=200) 1956-1971
Roger Staubach (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=201) 1969-1979
Fran Tarkenton (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=209) 1961-1978
Y.A. Tittle (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=214) 1948-1964
Johnny Unitas (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=219) 1956-1973
Norm Van Brocklin (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=221) 1949-1960
Bob Waterfield (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=226) 1945-1952
Steve Young (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=252) 1985-1999

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Well if we're gonna go by weird dynamics should we get a QB who has a retarded son I mean hey...Kelly, Marino...

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 01:07 AM
I retract my comment on Montana. He was a good looking guy when he was younger. KC Montana, not so much.

http://www.altmanphoto.com/JoeMontana.jpeg

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 01:08 AM
God, George Blanda was hideous.

http://www.btsports.com/gblandapic.jpg

He compensated by adding field-goal kicking to his repetoire. He knew he was gonna have to win some games at the last second to score pussy. He was gonna do it anyway he could - touchdowns OR field goals.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Joe Montana looks like MacGyvers brother.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:09 AM
I can't believe you guys no sold my harsh line earlier.

TrickyNicky
Well if we're gonna go by weird dynamics should we get a QB who has a retarded son I mean hey...Kelly, Marino...

Keepin it classy, I see.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I can't believe you guys no sold my harsh line earlier.

Retard son?

You forgot Flutie.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Keepin it classy, I see.

I'm not being serious, lighten up.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Retard son?

You forgot Flutie.

And Boomer Esiason.

unothadeal
12-15-2008, 01:11 AM
And Boomer Esiason.

And Jamarcus Russell's father.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 01:13 AM
And Boomer Esiason.

Cystic Fibrosis is a lung disorder.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:14 AM
See what I get for just throwing out names.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:14 AM

Brodie Croyle talks like he's retarded and has bones made of paper mache so does that count?

J Diddy
12-15-2008, 01:48 AM
God, George Blanda was hideous.

http://www.btsports.com/gblandapic.jpg

He compensated by adding field-goal kicking to his repetoire. He knew he was gonna have to win some games at the last second to score pussy. He was gonna do it anyway he could - touchdowns OR field goals.

please do tell us how to score pussy

really

J Diddy
12-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Brodie Croyle talks like he's retarded and has bones made of paper mache so does that count?

hey now, don't diss the southern twang

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 01:49 AM

really

You throw a shitload of touchdown passes.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 01:53 AM

really

You flash the wallet!

kstater
12-15-2008, 05:21 AM

Detroit-Sam Bradford

St Louis-Andre Smith

KC-Matt Stafford

Cincy-Aaron Maybin

Seattle-Michael Crabtree

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE be accurate this year McShay.

Braincase
12-15-2008, 06:33 AM

really

Get a motorcycle! Duh...

beach tribe
12-15-2008, 07:00 AM
If this game got Herm&Co fired, then this is the best game we've played all season.

the Talking Can
12-15-2008, 07:04 AM
they read this list on mike&mike...while laughing about pathetic the Chiefs are

we are the new Bengals

the Talking Can
12-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Cincy could absolutely win that Browns game, and the Rams can win as well. If those both happen and we lose to Miami, we clinch #2.

DARE TO DREAM

SI SE PUEDE

the Talking Can
12-15-2008, 07:09 AM

Detroit-Sam Bradford

St Louis-Andre Smith

KC-Matt Stafford

Cincy-Aaron Maybin

Seattle-Michael Crabtree

just seeing it makes me happy

"KC - Stafford"

schwiiiing

Delano
12-15-2008, 08:50 AM
One Lions fan sent me this message:

...if by stafford you mean oher and selvie (special thanks to the cowboys for that one), then you are correct, haha.

I promise Stafford will still be there after the Lions pick. We know one of your fans - who shall remain nameless - was recently "offering up seats on the Matt Stafford Bandwagon... all aboard," haha. We will let him show his athleticism, then make terrible decisions and greatly underachieve (with talent all around him) in KC.

Ok i keep trying to get this picture of mark sanchez posted, but it wont work... the point is he is a winner, as well.

------------------

And a very knowledgeable fan by most accounts.

Best line from that website:

"Imagine Jared Lorenzen, but gay and not as talented. Now open your eyes, who do you see?"

HemiEd
12-15-2008, 08:52 AM

If ever Nick Athen were to be right, let it be this time. The odds are with him, it is bound to happen some time.

duncan_idaho
12-15-2008, 09:04 AM
This game actually was the perfect outcome... I was rooting the entire time for the San Diego comeback, and felt pretty confident it would happen. Especially after the second straight 4th and less than a yard punt.

Real positives from the game:
1) I thought the OL pass-blocked really well. Albert continues to shine at LT. Upgrade the right side of the line (in run-blocking), and we're in pretty good shape.
2) Brandon Flowers is a legitimate stud (Patrick Surtain - not)

The team seems to me to be a few (4-6) players - and better head and defensive coaching - from being a playoff-challenging team, and a few more players on top of that (2-3) from being a team that can REALLY contend.

gblowfish
12-15-2008, 09:08 AM
It wouldn't be the first time.
Nick Lowery was a flamer...

the Talking Can
12-15-2008, 09:10 AM
This game actually was the perfect outcome... I was rooting the entire time for the San Diego comeback, and felt pretty confident it would happen. Especially after the second straight 4th and less than a yard punt.

1) I thought the OL pass-blocked really well. Albert continues to shine at LT. Upgrade the right side of the line (in run-blocking), and we're in pretty good shape.

The team seems to me to be a few (4-6) players - and better head and defensive coaching - from being a playoff-challenging team, and a few more players on top of that (2-3) from being a team that can REALLY contend.

Albert is great...for a rookie learning a new position and dealing with an elbow injury, the guy is balls

HemiEd
12-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I love how we need a crutch to go 2-14 with a 3rd string QB, and then it makes people think he's the QB of the future.....excuse me while I smack my head off the wall.

Because you are the all knowing one.

Brock
12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Nick says Herm will be fired, thus making it a lock he won't be.

Sure-Oz
12-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Matt Stafford is Powers Boothe in about 35 years...

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

BigRedChief
12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
And then King Carl gets to pick the new head coach?:doh!:

Sure-Oz
12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
When did he say that?? Carl needs to go at the same time...all i know is that after the PC Carl had this look on his face that was priceless, like he knows shits going to hit the fan soon.

I sure as hell hope so

duncan_idaho
12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Matt Stafford is Powers Boothe in about 35 years...

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

Tell him I'm coming. And hell's coming with me!

EyePod
12-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Ok so who's gonna rip on Jopo for railing on Dorsey, people do it to Whitlock when he does it...

I still don't think all of the players are to blame. We shouldn't fire them. Dorsey has no coaching, he just has that crazy guy yelling at him. There's only so far that intensity can do, especially in the NFL. It may have worked in college, but not here. He needs to work on TECHNIQUE, and be coached through this learning, but he doesn't have the coaching around him to do that.

BigChiefFan
12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
When did he say that?? Carl needs to go at the same time...all i know is that after the PC Carl had this look on his face that was priceless, like he knows shits going to hit the fan soon.

I sure as hell hope so
I saw that last night on NBC with Jack Harry's commentary. The look on Carl's face was worth going through this awful season. I almost felt sorry for him, ALMOST. Instant classic.

TEX
12-15-2008, 10:21 AM
If this game got Herm&Co fired, then this is the best game we've played all season.

:clap:

KChiefs1
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM

All those things could definitely happen.

KChiefs1
12-15-2008, 11:19 AM

:thumb:

buddha
12-15-2008, 11:46 AM
For you Stafford lovers...what exactly has this loser done to earn all of your lust? Seriously...I know you're thinking that he's going to turn into another Matt Ryan, but how often does that actually happen? Once a decade, maybe? Thiggy and the spread has worked out pretty darn well considering what the offense had to work with. We need better OLs and DEs immediately. This isn't on Dorsey, nor is it on Thiggy. They are going to be pieces of the better puzzle once we actually put some better talent around them.

kstater
12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
For you Stafford lovers...what exactly has this loser done to earn all of your lust? Seriously...I know you're thinking that he's going to turn into another Matt Ryan, but how often does that actually happen? Once a decade, maybe? Thiggy and the spread has worked out pretty darn well considering what the offense had to work with. We need better OLs and DEs immediately. This isn't on Dorsey, nor is it on Thiggy. They are going to be pieces of the better puzzle once we actually put some better talent around them.

Clearly Thigpen and the Pistol are the wave of the future. That's why Herm is known around the league as the greatest active coach out there. I'd say all time, but he's got a little bit of work left to pass Lombardi and Landry

KChiefs1
12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I heard some expert say that Matt Stafford & Ryan Leaf have a lot in common. Is that a bad thing?

TrickyNicky
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Did anyone else see the segment on the CBS crew where they had a list of coaching changes with LOCK - as in definitely a change, LIKELY, and DOUBTFUL or something like that. There were 9 teams on it, I think. The Chiefs weren't one of them.

Herm and Carl get a free pass.

kaplin42
12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
1. The article in the OP, and for that matter this entire thread have been hillarious. A lot of surprising good humor out there considering the craptastic season this team has put together. Great read for a Monday morning.

2. Seeing as how im not that big of a college football fan, I am curious, what is so great about this Stafford guy. Other than the chic that was i the picture with him being hot, I don't know much else about him.

3. If Stafford is gone, what is the consensus of taking Malaluga (sp?) the LB from USC? Again, I'm not a draftnick or a college guy, just asking a question.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2008, 12:06 PM

1. He has three years of starting experience in the SEC
2. He comes from a pro offense
3. He knows how to read a defense, and can audible into advantageous plays, recognizes the blitz
4. He's willing to get pounded and get back up
5. He's mobile
6. He has good mechanics
7. He has unbelievable arm strength
8. He's played with a very marginal OL this year with three freshmen on it, and receivers who can't get separation, so he has to make NFL throws to get them the ball, he's not lobbing a rainbow up to a WR with 5 yards of separation.
9. He's a leader and he's been under intense scrutiny since he was 16 years old.
10. He's improved every year in college, despite having less and less talent around him to work with.

Other than that...nothing.

beach tribe
12-15-2008, 01:03 PM
1. He has three years of starting experience in the SEC
2. He comes from a pro offense
3. He knows how to read a defense, and can audible into advantageous plays, recognizes the blitz
4. He's willing to get pounded and get back up
5. He's mobile
6. He has good mechanics
7. He has unbelievable arm strength
8. He's played with a very marginal OL this year with three freshmen on it, and receivers who can't get separation, so he has to make NFL throws to get them the ball, he's not lobbing a rainbow up to a WR with 5 yards of separation.
9. He's a leader and he's been under intense scrutiny since he was 16 years old.
10. He's improved every year in college, despite having less and less talent around him to work with.

Great post. All true. Anyone who asks this question again, and it will be asked again, should be directed to this post.

beach tribe
12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I heard some expert say that Matt Stafford & Ryan Leaf have a lot in common. Is that a bad thing?

Thay have A LOT in common, and it's a great thing. Considering we land him. It will be one of the best days in recent memory if we do. I will jump for joy.
I think he's the best prospect in a long time.

JuicesFlowing
12-15-2008, 01:40 PM
No, I think that was a fan seting there season tickets on fire

:clap:

duncan_idaho
12-15-2008, 02:36 PM
1. He has three years of starting experience in the SEC (so did JaPorky)
2. He comes from a pro offense (so did JaPorky)
3. He knows how to read a defense, and can audible into advantageous plays, recognizes the blitz (nice skill)
4. He's willing to get pounded and get back up (nice skill, but not uncommon)
5. He's mobile (mobility is OK when he isn't in a Jared Lorenzen phase)
6. He has good mechanics (except for the times his footwork is sloppy and the times he throws off his back foot)
7. He has unbelievable arm strength (no question)
8. He's played with a very marginal OL this year with three freshmen on it, and receivers who can't get separation, so he has to make NFL throws to get them the ball, he's not lobbing a rainbow up to a WR with 5 yards of separation. (Both of his starting receivers will be NFL players, AJ Green likely a first-round pick. Georgia's starting receivers are very good.)
9. He's a leader and he's been under intense scrutiny since he was 16 years old. (nice skill, but again, not an exclusive one)
10. He's improved every year in college, despite having less and less talent around him to work with. (Skill talent around Stafford has improved every year. Offensive line was much better his sophomore year than his freshman year, though it has taken a step back this year)

Lots of things to like about Stafford. He definitely has the body and phsyical tools. The defense-reading/play-changing skills are nice, as are the reported leadership skills (though Georgia seems to have come out flat in an awful lot of games the past few years and needed "extra" tactics to motivate the team). But those are things you'd want ANY QB you take on the first day (rounds 1-2) to have. Every single QB prospect is put through a chalk-talk/video session by teams, and reading the defense/suggesting play changes are what they look at in those sessions. Every single QB prospect is put through an interview process to see what type of personality they have and how they would fit in.

But I think Stafford gets overrated a little because of his physical ability (the arm strength blinds a lot of people). He is not without flaw.

I think the "lack of talent" thing is a weak excuse. Georgia has gotten much better at RB and WR over the past few years. Stafford sees a lot of 8-man fronts, thanks to Moreno, and Green has consistently bailed him out this season. Massaquoi catches a lot of heat, but he will play Sundays.

Yes, the OL is not as good this year as last, but it was DOMINANT much of last season, especially the second half of the year.

Stafford's mechanics (and therefore his accuracy) and decision making continue to be spotty. (From freshman year through this season). This despite having a pair of renowned QB developers in Bobo in Richt coaching him. It's not like those two have been telling him it's OK to throw off his back foot when he doesn't have to, or that it's OK to trust his arm to make any throw, even into double-coverage. He still makes a lot of those mistakes, mistakes he has made throughout his career.

sd4chiefs
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Someone may have come up with this but I am to lazy to read all of the posts. Everyone who goes to the last game against the Fines should take an extra pair of shoes and then throw them at Carl and Herm at the end of the game. Shoes that have dog poop on them would be a nice touch.

evolve27
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM

This.

Lzen
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM

ROFL ROFL

doomy3
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
One Down...

Chief Henry
12-15-2008, 04:54 PM
One Down...

I hope herm is NEXT.

T-post Tom
12-24-2018, 11:27 AM
When things were different but kind of the same... (and the Lions were too dumb to NOT draft Stafford....ROFL)

carcosa
12-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Need a column like this about the defensive staff...

bobbything
12-24-2018, 11:32 AM
When things were different but kind of the same...
I'd be interested in seeing the 2003 articles that followed the end of the regular season. I'm sure they're eerily similar to what we have today.

Chris Meck
12-24-2018, 11:33 AM
When things were different but kind of the same...

to be fair, this team is only 50% fucked. That team was completely fucked.

T-post Tom
12-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Tyson Jackson at #3 ladies and gents....

rabblerouser
12-24-2018, 11:42 AM
to be fair, this team is only 50% ****ed. That team was completely ****ed.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post, but I'm unable to contribute to the conversation in any meaningful way...

MahiMike
12-24-2018, 12:13 PM
What ever happened to Posnaski? Haven't heard his name in forever.

srvy
12-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Now that Buck O'Neil died he has nothing to write about.

Deberg_1990
12-24-2018, 12:39 PM
I’ll bet our 2008 defense was better than 2018s

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-24-2018, 12:41 PM
What ever happened to Posnaski? Haven't heard his name in forever.

He ruined any credibility he had with that God awful, whitewashed piece of shit tome about Paterno.