PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nick makes a few interesting points

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 02:27 AM
http://kan.scout.com/2/821519.html

After watching the San Diego Chargers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 22-21 in what was arguably the worst ending I’ve ever seen at Arrowhead, it’s clear this football team is reeling. There’s no denying now what has to be done.

Change is coming to One Arrowhead Drive and it’s not going to be pretty. After Kansas City blew a 21-16 lead with less than two minutes remaining, the aftermath of KC’s locker room was dismal, at it’s lowest point of the season.

How could the Chargers, who turned the ball over three times and fell behind 21-3, pull out a win? The culprit this week is the entire organization. That’s the simplest way to put it.

The Chiefs squandered two timeouts in the fourth quarter because they could not get their offensive calls from the coaching booth to the sidelines to the quarterback in the allotted time. Those gaffes came into play when KC’s offense found itself without a timeout on the final desperation drive.

Defensively, despite the fact the Chiefs recorded three sacks, they could not generate any pressure on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3628835) in the final two minutes. But it gets worse - the broken coverage on Rivers’ 42-yard pass to Vincent Jackson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3628809), that set up the game-winning touchdown, fell at the feet of a pair of veterans on defense.

Cornerback Patrick Surtain (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698875) was supposed to be deeper in coverage. When he tried to jump an underneath route, it left Jarrad Page (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698868) in single coverage. Page was late getting over to defend Jackson. After the game, Surtain admitted he should have been deeper, but Page was also upset - either by the defense that had been called, the blown coverage, or at himself for the outcome of the play.

Special teams also let the Chiefs down once again. Rookie kicker Connor Barth (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3267000) missed a short field goal into a swirling wind by not driving the ball. He took a chipshot for granted, which set up the need for his game-winning field goal attempt.

On that attempt, Barth drove the ball low with enough force that it would have cleared the uprights from 60 yards. But Thomas Gafford’s snap to holder Dustin Colquitt (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980109) was high, and that was enough to disrupt the timing.

This loss also gives a clear indicator of the problems at the top of the organization. It should be obvious now that this team didn’t value veterans enough, and sat back in free agency a year ago with money to burn. They didn’t provide the young nucleus of KC’s roster enough experienced leaders to bridge the gap.

After this debacle, how can Chairman of the Board Clark Hunt not make changes? You can blame Peterson, Head Coach Herm Edwards, the Chiefs’ scouting department, the assistant coaches and the players, but when fans stay away by the tens of thousands, when season ticket holders are already on record that they won’t renew next season without changes, Hunt has little choice.

Two weeks ago a Chiefs official told me that if he were Hunt he would, “blow the whole thing up” and start over. That would be my choice at this point, too.

The apathy for the Chiefs in the Kansas City community, and more specifically from season ticket holders who are unlikely to renew for the 2009 season, is higher than it’s ever been in 20 years. It’s not about playing for next season anymore, it’s about the salvation of the franchise. Someone has to take control of the situation before it gets worse.

Most of the Chiefs scattered to their cars after Sunday’s game before talking to the media. It was obvious the locker room took this loss extremely hard. Hunt may now find himself with a bigger mess on his hands than he predicted he’d be dealing with when he signed off on the youth movement a year ago.

In short order, he’s really the only man that can make the changes that will appease the fans and the core group of players who will be charged with coming back in 2009 to win the close games the Chiefs have been losing the last two seasons.

Hunt may not see it that way, but the moves he makes next will radically affect this franchise for better or for worse. That’s a lot of pressure.

It starts and ends with Hunt. My gut tells me changes are coming.

SPchief
12-15-2008, 02:40 AM
http://kan.scout.com/2/821519.html

After watching the San Diego Chargers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 22-21 in what was arguably the worst ending I’ve ever seen at Arrowhead, it’s clear this football team is reeling. There’s no denying now what has to be done.

Change is coming to One Arrowhead Drive and it’s not going to be pretty. After Kansas City blew a 21-16 lead with less than two minutes remaining, the aftermath of KC’s locker room was dismal, at it’s lowest point of the season.

How could the Chargers, who turned the ball over three times and fell behind 21-3, pull out a win? The culprit this week is the entire organization. That’s the simplest way to put it.

The Chiefs squandered two timeouts in the fourth quarter because they could not get their offensive calls from the coaching booth to the sidelines to the quarterback in the allotted time. Those gaffes came into play when KC’s offense found itself without a timeout on the final desperation drive.

Defensively, despite the fact the Chiefs recorded three sacks, they could not generate any pressure on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3628835) in the final two minutes. But it gets worse - the broken coverage on Rivers’ 42-yard pass to Vincent Jackson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3628809), that set up the game-winning touchdown, fell at the feet of a pair of veterans on defense.

Cornerback Patrick Surtain (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698875) was supposed to be deeper in coverage. When he tried to jump an underneath route, it left Jarrad Page (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698868) in single coverage. Page was late getting over to defend Jackson. After the game, Surtain admitted he should have been deeper, but Page was also upset - either by the defense that had been called, the blown coverage, or at himself for the outcome of the play.

Special teams also let the Chiefs down once again. Rookie kicker Connor Barth (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3267000) missed a short field goal into a swirling wind by not driving the ball. He took a chipshot for granted, which set up the need for his game-winning field goal attempt.

On that attempt, Barth drove the ball low with enough force that it would have cleared the uprights from 60 yards. But Thomas Gafford’s snap to holder Dustin Colquitt (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980109) was high, and that was enough to disrupt the timing.

This loss also gives a clear indicator of the problems at the top of the organization. It should be obvious now that this team didn’t value veterans enough, and sat back in free agency a year ago with money to burn. They didn’t provide the young nucleus of KC’s roster enough experienced leaders to bridge the gap.

After this debacle, how can Chairman of the Board Clark Hunt not make changes? You can blame Peterson, Head Coach Herm Edwards, the Chiefs’ scouting department, the assistant coaches and the players, but when fans stay away by the tens of thousands, when season ticket holders are already on record that they won’t renew next season without changes, Hunt has little choice.

Two weeks ago a Chiefs official told me that if he were Hunt he would, “blow the whole thing up” and start over. That would be my choice at this point, too.

The apathy for the Chiefs in the Kansas City community, and more specifically from season ticket holders who are unlikely to renew for the 2009 season, is higher than it’s ever been in 20 years. It’s not about playing for next season anymore, it’s about the salvation of the franchise. Someone has to take control of the situation before it gets worse.

Most of the Chiefs scattered to their cars after Sunday’s game before talking to the media. It was obvious the locker room took this loss extremely hard. Hunt may now find himself with a bigger mess on his hands than he predicted he’d be dealing with when he signed off on the youth movement a year ago.

In short order, he’s really the only man that can make the changes that will appease the fans and the core group of players who will be charged with coming back in 2009 to win the close games the Chiefs have been losing the last two seasons.

Hunt may not see it that way, but the moves he makes next will radically affect this franchise for better or for worse. That’s a lot of pressure.

It starts and ends with Hunt. My gut tells me changes are coming.

Ballsy move by Athan to say the same things that the two biggests columnests(sp?) that write for the Star said 5 hours ago.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Ballsy move by Athan to say the same things that the two biggests columnests(sp?) that write for the Star said 5 hours ago.

Nick wrote this well before the Star updated their page.

jjchieffan
12-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Well crap!! Now that Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan has said it, we all know it will never happen. Damn it Nick!!:cuss:

kysirsoze
12-15-2008, 02:51 AM
I've been a "give Herm another year with these young players" guy but this game might be the last straw. At this point it doesn't matter how good he is with the players. He betrays their trust when he mismanages a game that badly. I felt that the players showed a lot of talent and effort out there, but they were hampered by coaches that had no idea how to call a game. I know this has been an argument before but today was rare even by Herm's standards.

If these players can't even rely on their coach to even be competent, I can't see how they will grow into the group that we all hope they do. it's just a slap in the face.

SPchief
12-15-2008, 02:54 AM

Link?

Mecca
12-15-2008, 03:00 AM
I'll believe Clark Hunt will make changes when I see it, all I know of the Hunts is passiveness.

Thig Lyfe
12-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Those are some interesting points...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!

Direckshun
12-15-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm starting to think Athan believes Obama will be our next defensive coordinator.

12-15-2008, 03:25 AM
We're screwed.

Alphaman
12-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Nick's emotional reaction is wrong!!! This game was not lost due to mismanagement or poor coaching. This game was lost due to poor execution on key plays that could have put the game away:

1) Bowe turns to the sidelines instead of turning up field to get a first down.
2) Barth misses a chip shot field goal
3) Thigpen forces a ball to Gonzalez ending with an interception in the end zone.
4) Bowe drops an onside kick in his hands.
5) Surtain executes 4 deep coverage incorrectly

That is on the players and they should feel horrible about it.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Best thing Athan has ever written.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Nick's emotional reaction is wrong!!! This game was not lost due to mismanagement or poor coaching. This game was lost due to poor execution on key plays that could have put the game away:

3) Thigpen forces a ball to Gonzalez ending with an interception in the end zone.

Your correct, but your not seeing the big picture. The team is 2-12.

Stuff like this has happened all season long. Thats coaching and management.

Earthling
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Pretty good summation. :clap: If any of these things doesn't happen there was a good chance of us winning. Not to say the coaching couldn't have been better "after" things happened as they did.

RealSNR
12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
This is correct, but it will never happen. Ever.

TEX
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I really don't understand why everyone is shocked. This is what losing teams do all the time. Herm has created a losing atmosphere. He was a bad hire to begin with and needs to go. The second he does, the Chiefs become a better team. As someone else said - the game yesterday was the best since Herm's been here, if it was indeed the straw that gets him shit canned.

HC_Chief
12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Your correct, but your not seeing the big picture. The team is 2-12.

Stuff like this has happened all season long. Thats coaching and management.

Correct. "Poor execution" is a recurring theme. Add to that poor clock management and "play not to lose" decision-making by the coaching staff, and you get what we've got now: a laughingstock.

L.A. Chieffan
12-15-2008, 10:43 AM
It only takes the "worst ending I've ever seen" for the KC media to finally pull their heads out their asses and realize what everybody else in the free world had been saying for years? Either that or they're just pussies

kaplin42
12-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Here is a question in game strategy that I have never understood.

When team A is kicking the snot out of Team B by doing play scheme 1, why does team A change from play scheme 1 to play scheme 2 mid way through the 3rd quarter. Why not just keep riding play scheme 1 until the final whistle blows?

burt
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM

Who are you? and how are you so wise??

petegz28
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM

yep

burt
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Correct. "Poor execution" is a recurring theme. Add to that poor clock management and "play not to lose" decision-making by the coaching staff, and you get what we've got now: a laughingstock.

I do see this point.........

petegz28
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Here is a question in game strategy that I have never understood.

When team A is kicking the snot out of Team B by doing play scheme 1, why does team A change from play scheme 1 to play scheme 2 mid way through the 3rd quarter. Why not just keep riding play scheme 1 until the final whistle blows?

Probably cause Team B made changes at the half? It is a pretty typical for a football game.

blueballs
12-15-2008, 12:19 PM
when it comes to the CHiefs
Nick always has three pointers
milk milk lemonade

Warrior5
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Probably cause Team B made changes at the half? It is a pretty typical for a football game.

Related discussion on another thread:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=198397

burt
12-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Clayton should be tossed for posting this piss.........

Skip Towne
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Clayton should be tossed for posting this piss.........

Seconded.

Donger
12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
"at it’s lowest point of the season"

Did you teach this retard?

Rooster
12-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Seconded.

All in favor?

Skip Towne
12-15-2008, 01:37 PM
"at it’s lowest point of the season"

Did you teach this retard?

That retard is Claythan's boss. Pretty sad, eh?

Reerun_KC
12-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I just hope changes are coming...

I cant see these players and town rallying around such ineptude on the sidelines...

I can see a full player revolt on Herm...

Valiant
12-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Yet your cockhungry mouth did not post the article until well after??

Man you a real piece of shit..

kcxiv
12-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Hehe, Herm has even lost all the reporters in KC. Once Nick and Po turn on you, you got serious issues with running your team.

12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Who's Nick?

Brock
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Who's Nick?

A homer blogwriter.

Phobia
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Clayton screwed up the thread title. He intended to type:
"Nick makes few interesting points."

kstater
12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Who's Nick?

Carl's knobslobber.

CupidStunt
12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Where?

Boris The Great
12-15-2008, 03:22 PM
His analysis of the big play to Vincent Jackson is off. The Chiefs were in a Cover 4 on that play. Page was not late at getting anywhere. That wasnt his area, it was Surtains. Page had to run over there because nobody was covering that zone.

DJJasonp
12-15-2008, 03:36 PM

It should have never come down to any "one play" listed above. If herm didnt stick the offense play calling up his culo in the 2nd half...not to mention the ineptitude of getting the plays in to the QB (and thus, having to burn 2 timeouts)....it would have never been that close with 2 minutes to go.

Bottom line here is this:

For years, we chiefs fans were filled with the worst kind of PR spin from Carl and the KC media - where blame was spread generously on the players (mostly on the defensive side of the ball). Year after year after year - we didnt have the right players....players werent making plays, yada yada yada.

The time has come for Hunt to put an end to this finger pointing and lack of accountability at one arrowhead drive.

The GM, scouts, and coaches are in their positions to:
A) draft quality players
B) teach those players techniques and a "system" (def or off)
C) and call the plays to put those players in positions to make plays

The sad truth is....this hasnt happened on the defensive side of the ball since Marty left. But the spin tells us that we dont have the right players, etc. etc.....but let's recap:

Greg Robinson's era was blamed on players
Gunther "the savior" comes back...but bitches about not having "his type of players" - so we go out and get him free agents (hall, bell, etc.)....nothing changes.
We hire Herm (a defensive-minded coach)....and still nothing changes.

Meanwhile (over the past five years)...we've let many defensive players go (because, as the Chief brass said, we dont have the right players)....and over the past few weeks, I've watched games where the following players were making plays:
Key Fox
Scott Fujita
Kawika Mitchell
Hell....I even heard Benny Sapp's name called a few times yesterday. (not to mention letting Jared Allen go)

SO what does this tell us?

It tells us we have been both inept at drafting (Siavii, Simms, etc.) AND when we dont "blow" a draft pick, we're terrible at coaching/teaching and putting players in positions to make plays.

(I wont even get into the clock management, head coaching bungles issues)

So how can a regime such as this continue to have jobs?