Gracie Dean
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
in 1994, I shattered the talonnavicular (sp) bone in my right
>foot. 5 surgeries later over the next two years left me with
>limited motion but functional with some pain. One surgery
>involved removing bone from my hip and grounding it with some
>fake stuff to rebuild that bone. Now 14 years later, I have
>constant pain. My doctor gives me prescriptions for 5 mg
>lortabs 40 at a time when I fill . I take 4 a day and no more than that.
>One at 5:30-6 AM before I start teaching, then I take one at
>2:30-4pm depending on when I get home and then one or two before I go
>to bed at 10 or later. Because he only gives me 40 and I have
>to work, sometimes I do not take any on the weekend and just
>suffer through usually downing about 10 tylenol a day. My
>doctor always is quick to refil every 20 days but that
>involves a 5 buck copay each time.
>
>My husband says I should not have to suffer and that I should
>call the dr and have him give me enough for 4 a day each
>month. I do not want the doctor to think badly of me, is this
>a reasonable request?
>
>I do not care if I have to take 3 a day for the rest of my
>life because I can at least function and not suffer and cry in
>pain. My daughter would like me to do things with her on the
>weekend, but I hurt so bad, I just don't want to do anything.
>If I did not have to live on tylenol on the weekends, I coudl
>actually do things.

I called today.

I asked if I could do the 5 mg at 5 am and 3 pm

then bump up to 1 or 2 7.5 mg at night

HE says he would rather me not go up in strength

IT IS NOT his fucking foot he doesn't live in constant pain UGGGGGGGGGGGGG

why is he being unreasonable?

Skyy God
12-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Because you're a drug addict. Go get your fix elsewhere, junkie.

Hydrae
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Concern with possible addiction perhaps?

I am assuming that more tests have been done to see if anything more can be done. medicine has come a long ways the last few years, they may have a way to eliminate the source of the pain in the first place.

Mecca
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
That's probably what it is, they have concern about people becoming addicted.

Gracie Dean
12-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Concern with possible addiction perhaps?

I am assuming that more tests have been done to see if anything more can be done. medicine has come a long ways the last few years, they may have a way to eliminate the source of the pain in the first place.

short of more surgery furthering any mobility in the foot there really isn't anything left to be done...and probably the older I get, the possibliity of the fusion breaking down and having to do surgery I have to live with it.

I am just so tired of being in pain

WebGem
12-15-2008, 06:31 PM
tbh i like men

allen_kcCard
My husband says I should not have to suffer

Speaking as a husband myself, this is where I knew you were not being truthful...druggie.

Skyy God
Seriously, it's been my professional experience that a lot of doctors are uncaring pricks about long-term pain. Go find a better, more sympathetic doctor.

Iowanian
12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Maybe you can get some more of that Miracle Miagi that fixed your tumor.

kstater
12-15-2008, 06:33 PM
tbh i like men

Good for you? :shrug:

NTTAWWT?:shrug:

Gracie Dean
12-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe you can get some more of that Miracle Miagi that fixed your tumor.

well, if it would have worked, I would nto have this pain right now

Gracie Dean
12-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Seriously, it's been my professional experience that a lot of doctors are uncaring pricks about long-term pain. Go find a better, more sympathetic doctor.

I am in the process of having my records from the surgery transferred to a pain management dr but that may take a month or so before it is all complete

the medical records clerk said it could take 14 days to get the records to the pain mgmt dr

Fish
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
You should do anything and everything you can to lessen the painkillers you're taking. Treat the problem, not the symptom. There has to be something else that can be done for your foot besides just taking more pills. It's never as simple as "there really isn't anything left to be done". Get a second/third/fourth opinion.

More pills are not the answer.

Bugeater
12-15-2008, 06:38 PM
It sure would be nice if they sold a painkiller that was worth a shit OTC. I have severe arthritis in my neck and shoulder, ibuprofen and acetaminophen just don't cut it, and yes my Dr is a prick too and won't prescribe me anything stronger.

Skyy God
12-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I am in the process of having my records from the surgery transferred to a pain management dr but that may take a month or so before it is all complete

the medical records clerk said it could take 14 days to get the records to the pain mgmt dr

That's a pretty typical wait time for med records requests to be processed.

kstater
12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
You should do anything and everything you can to lessen the painkillers you're taking. Treat the problem, not the symptom. There has to be something else that can be done for your foot besides just taking more pills. It's never as simple as "there really isn't anything left to be done". Get a second/third/fourth opinion.

More pills are not the answer.

This

Gracie Dean
12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
It sure would be nice if they sold a painkiller that was worth a shit OTC. I have severe arthritis in my neck and shoulder, ibuprofen and acetaminophen just don't cut it, and yes my Dr is a prick too and won't prescribe me anything stronger.

can so relate

probably some of the pain is arthritis in my foot as well as the hip site where they took bone from there to put in my foot

stumppy
12-15-2008, 07:12 PM
As someone who's had to deal with the whole Dr's, surgery, constant pain, pain meds, nothing can be done, not enough pain meds, too many pain meds thing. I would first suggest a 2cnd, 3rd, 4th opinion about repairing the problem. Pain meds are the worst way to go for treatment. That being said sometimes it is all thats left.

You'll find very few Dr.'s who are not as concerned about their own careers as they are about your quality of life. Prescribing pain meds on a continueing basis is frowned upon in the medical proffesion. I have heard a Dr. answer a request for continued pain meds with a " what would the other Dr's in this practice think of me if I was to keep prescribing pain meds for you ?'. And other anecdotes of the same attitude about pain meds. It sounds to me like your Dr. has you on a short leash with the meds. But you never know, he may not have a problem with it. (IMO) Your request is a legitimate one. It's not like you're some unemployeed trailer park trash just trying to make sure you get your pills so you can sale half and get high with the rest.

When you talk to him don't beat around the bush about it. Tell him about the effect the pain is having on you personally, your home life and your prof. life. If he won't do anything for you fire the SOB. Find another Dr. and see what he can do for you.
Pain meds are a blessing and a curse rolled into one. They'll help you now but you'll always need more in the future to aquire the same amount of relief you get today. And don't kid yourself. They are very addicting. Mentally and physically. Hopefully you will be able to have your problem repaired instead of masking the pain. Good luck.

stumppy
12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I called today.

IT IS NOT his ****ing foot he doesn't live in constant pain UGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Make an appt. Sit down in front of him and tell him what the problem is. You won't find any Dr. who will increase your pain meds because you just call up and ask for more.

Gracie Dean
12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
As someone who's had to deal with the whole Dr's, surgery, constant pain, pain meds, nothing can be done, not enough pain meds, too many pain meds thing. I would first suggest a 2cnd, 3rd, 4th opinion about repairing the problem. Pain meds are the worst way to go for treatment. That being said sometimes it is all thats left.

You'll find very few Dr.'s who are not as concerned about their own careers as they are about your quality of life. Prescribing pain meds on a continueing basis is frowned upon in the medical proffesion. I have heard a Dr. answer a request for continued pain meds with a " what would the other Dr's in this practice think of me if I was to keep prescribing pain meds for you ?'. And other anecdotes of the same attitude about pain meds. It sounds to me like your Dr. has you on a short leash with the meds. But you never know, he may not have a problem with it. (IMO) Your request is a legitimate one. It's not like you're some unemployeed trailer park trash just trying to make sure you get your pills so you can sale half and get high with the rest.

When you talk to him don't beat around the bush about it. Tell him about the effect the pain is having on you personally, your home life and your prof. life. If he won't do anything for you fire the SOB. Find another Dr. and see what he can do for you.
Pain meds are a blessing and a curse rolled into one. They'll help you now but you'll always need more in the future to aquire the same amount of relief you get today. And don't kid yourself. They are very addicting. Mentally and physically. Hopefully you will be able to have your problem repaired instead of masking the pain. Good luck.

thanks,

That is reasonable. I was just talking to my mom about this and said maybe if I make an appt in person

HE knows about the issue as he has sent me to two different ortho doctors in the last 5 years

damaticous
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
in 1994, I shattered the talonnavicular (sp) bone in my right
>foot. 5 surgeries later over the next two years left me with
>limited motion but functional with some pain. One surgery
>involved removing bone from my hip and grounding it with some
>fake stuff to rebuild that bone. Now 14 years later, I have
>constant pain. My doctor gives me prescriptions for 5 mg
>lortabs 40 at a time when I fill . I take 4 a day and no more than that.
>One at 5:30-6 AM before I start teaching, then I take one at
>2:30-4pm depending on when I get home and then one or two before I go
>to bed at 10 or later. Because he only gives me 40 and I have
>to work, sometimes I do not take any on the weekend and just
>suffer through usually downing about 10 tylenol a day. My
>doctor always is quick to refil every 20 days but that
>involves a 5 buck copay each time.
>
>My husband says I should not have to suffer and that I should
>call the dr and have him give me enough for 4 a day each
>month. I do not want the doctor to think badly of me, is this
>a reasonable request?
>
>I do not care if I have to take 3 a day for the rest of my
>life because I can at least function and not suffer and cry in
>pain. My daughter would like me to do things with her on the
>weekend, but I hurt so bad, I just don't want to do anything.
>If I did not have to live on tylenol on the weekends, I coudl
>actually do things.

I called today.

IT IS NOT his ****ing foot he doesn't live in constant pain UGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Ummm 14 years and the Dr still haven't helped you :spock:. I guess you could give it another 6 years (ala Carl Peterson) then do the right thing and go get a new dr. Or you could just go to a second dr now and get it fixed.