PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Zorn: I feel 'like the worst coach in America'

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 08:07 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8945180/Zorn:-I-feel-'like-the-worst-coach-in-America'?MSNHPHCP

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Saying he feels "like the worst coach in America," Jim Zorn began a two-day self-evaluation Monday into the meltdown that has plummeted his Washington Redskins out of the playoff race and prompted questions about his future.

Looking worn out and at least 10 years older than he did at training camp, Zorn had visible sweat on his brow at his weekly news conference. He reversed course from his season-long theme that his schemes were solid but the players' execution was lacking.

Instead, after the Redskins' fifth loss in six games — a truly embarrassing 20-13 defeat at lowly Cincinnati on Sunday — Zorn seemed to channel predecessor Joe Gibbs when he uttered the Hall of Fame coach's over-worn phrase: "It starts with me."

"I need to check my plan of attack," the first-year coach said. "And all of our staff, we need to re-evaluate what we're doing to see if we're going in the right direction. I really believe we're building a good foundation, but certainly when these things get strung across the board I certainly have to take — and do take — the responsibility for some of these games that just are not turning out like we have planned."

Zorn gave his players the day off so that he could take Monday and Tuesday to examine, as he put it, "all of the above." The easy-to-like coach's ebullient optimism — a natural fit when the team was 6-2 — is undergoing quite a test now that the record is 7-7.

"Where do I need to improve?" Zorn said. "Not only on Sunday, but on Wednesday, on Monday, all the days, all the game-planning, all the paying attention to detail. I need to make good use of this time and I will — because it hurts. I just feel like the worst coach in America, to have to lose the way we're losing. ... I feel sick to my stomach even thinking about having to go and do this kind of evaluation."

NFL Week 15

Week 15 actionBears 27, Saints 24 -- Recap | Box
Falcons 13, Bucs 10 -- Recap | Box
Bengals 20, Redskins 13 -- Recap | Box
Texans 13, Titans 12 -- Recap | Box
Colts 31, Lions 21 -- Recap | Box
Jaguars 20, Packers 16 -- Recap | Box
Chargers 22, Chiefs 21 -- Recap | Box
Dolphins 14, 49ers 9 -- Recap | Box
Jets 31, Bills 27 -- Recap | Box
Seahawks 23, Rams 20 -- Recap | Box
Vikings 35, Cardinals 14 -- Recap | Box
Steelers 13, Ravens 9 -- Recap | Box
Panthers 30, Broncos 10 -- Recap | Box
Patriots 49, Raiders 26 -- Recap | Box
Cowboys 20, Giants 8 -- Recap | Box
Eagles 30, Browns 10 -- Recap | Box

Photos
Ranking the games
Week 15's best shots
Around Halloween, Zorn was being touted as a possible NFL coach of the year. Now, given owner Dan Snyder's heavy turnover rate with coaches, there's open doubt as to whether Zorn will make it to New Year's.

For his part, Zorn spoke positively of his conversations with Snyder and front office chief Vinny Cerrato.

"I feel we have tremendous support from both those guys, I really do," Zorn said. "They are very passionate about this football team and want the best for it. I can say that emphatically. I can tell you that honestly."

Cerrato, away on league business, did not host his usual radio segment Monday. He did not respond to an interview request made through a team spokesman.

While there's plenty for Zorn to examine, he is in part a victim of his own early success. The Redskins right now are where most people predicted they would be — around .500, in last place in the tough NFC East. But blowing a 6-2 start creates an undeniable sense of a wasted opportunity to have a special season.

It all seemed to go wrong against a 1-11-1 team on Sunday, when, as linebacker London Fletcher put it, "The energy was terrible to start the game." Reliable tight end Chris Cooley fumbled. The Redskins fell behind 17-0. The defense again couldn't get pressure on the quarterback.

Santana Moss, a veteran who should know better, had the audacity to make a spectacle of scoring a touchdown, drawing a 15-yard penalty. With the ball at the 1-yard-line, Zorn decided to give the ball on back-to-back plays not to Clinton Portis but to fullback Mike Sellers, who fumbled the second time. Cornerback Carlos Rogers was surprised to learn shortly before kickoff that he wasn't starting, a sign of lack of communication between coaching staff and player.

All those issues are on the checklist to be reviewed, but one thing Zorn can't fix right away is the talent he's been given. Even if the coach returns next season, the Redskins are due for a massive overhaul.

The offensive and defensive lines are getting old and creaky. The defense needs a playmaker or two, and the offense still needs a reliable receiver other than Moss.

Unheralded stat of the game Sunday? Of the 49 Redskins plays that were either runs or receptions, 38 involved Moss, Cooley or Portis. It's hard to win when the options are so limited.

Zorn, naturally, declined to put the blame on the front office.

"We can win some of these games, we really can," Zorn said. "I have a hard time looking at talent and saying, 'Well, it's just talent — no brainer."'

Zorn, who is calling the plays as well as running the offense, said he didn't feel overwhelmed with all his duties, but he was willing to examine that possibility as well.

Perhaps the most radical, uncharacteristic comment came when the aggressive, let's-score-right-away coach said he might decline the ball next time he wins the coin flip to start the game.

"Maybe it won't hurt to defer if we win the toss," Zorn said. "I'm willing to try anything."

Ah if only we had a coach with some humility.

Ultra Peanut
12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
HIRE HIM, CARL

Wait. I mean, uh.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Such humility is rare from an NFL head coach. Especially one with a .500 record.

WE WILL NEVER SEE THAT KIND OF DISPLAY FROM THIS ARROGANT MAN:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/edwards_herman0108.jpg

kc rush
12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
He just needs time and the correct mentor to learn the "throw 'em under the bus" technique.

A certain someone who has perfected it may have some free time on their hands soon.

Ultra Peanut
12-16-2008, 08:52 AM
CARL PETERSON IS UNEMPLOYED

Wow.

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Mr. Zorn, while you may not be the best, you are far from the worst. You will see the absolute worst is pacing the sidelines in KC on game day.

Zouk
12-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I have no idea how he got that job and I have no idea how he keeps it. THIS is a guy over his head.

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Such humility is rare from an NFL head coach. Especially one with a .500 record.

WE WILL NEVER SEE THAT KIND OF DISPLAY FROM THIS ARROGANT MAN:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/edwards_herman0108.jpg

QFT

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I have no idea how he got that job and I have no idea how he keeps it. THIS is a guy over his head.

HOW DARE YOU SIR DEFEND HERM WEEK in and Week out then have the audacity to Come in here and say that Mr Zorn a man who can admit he made a mistake is in over his head

Fish
12-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Hahaha.... I remember quite a few people here lining up to gobble Zorn cock after the first 3-4 games..... I caught hell saying he was a fluke....

Wonder if I can find that thread now.....

crazycoffey
12-16-2008, 09:16 AM

I agree, and also still defend Herm, somewhat. Actually I try to stay optimistically positive, but to many asshats on here, that just means I'm a homer (or would that be a hermer?)

whatever

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Hahaha.... I remember quite a few people here lining up to gobble Zorn cock after the first 3-4 games..... I caught hell saying he was a fluke....

Wonder if I can find that thread now.....

Most chiefs fan's would take him over herm any day of the week so its not like you really owned anyone......

Bwana
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I take it Zorn never views Chiefs games?

Mr. Laz
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
gotta like the attitude

young,hungry and passionate

L.A. Chieffan
12-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Jesus, it's not like he lost to US, it was just the Bengals man suck it up.

Fish
12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Most chiefs fan's would take him over herm any day of the week so its not like you really owned anyone......

You must have been one of the Zorn fans.... :moon:

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
You must have been one of the Zorn fans.... :moon:

I was one of the zorn fans yes and still him this just makes me like him better.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Zorn's over the top dictator approach just doesn't work in this league. He's not Mike Singletary, the players have no reason to respect him, and the players he's calling out are anything but disappointing (Portis v. Davis).

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Nice to see you change your opinion on Herm... We all have wonder the same exact thing about him as well...

Mr. Laz
12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Nice to see you change your opinion on Herm... We all have wonder the same exact thing about him as well...
heh ..... i see what you did there.

sneaky bastige :fire:

Fish
12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I was one of the zorn fans yes and still him this just makes me like him better.

Yes.... I found one of the Zorn threads.... sure enough you were there talking about Zorn's skill.... You realize he's lost 5 out of the last 6 games right? Including a loss against the Rams earlier in the year? You still saying you like him better than you did a few months ago?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5072205&postcount=23

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
heh ..... i see what you did there.

sneaky bastige :fire:

:thumb: Not bad huh?

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes.... I found one of the Zorn threads.... sure enough you were there talking about Zorn's skill.... You realize he's lost 5 out of the last 6 games right? Including a loss against the Rams earlier in the year? You still saying you like him better than you did a few months ago?

Mabye not in the coaching aspect but has a person takeing the blame is a pretty bold move and it is only his 1st year working with a young QB im going to cut him some slack.

But im not a Skins Fan if I was a skins fan I might have a totally different opinion on the subject.

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Hell were 6 and 24 over our last 30.. So he is no worse...

Quesadilla Joe
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
You can't blame him for the recent losses. Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Clinton Portis, and Cornelius Griffin are all hurt.

Fish
12-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Hell were 6 and 24 over our last 30.. So he is no worse...

You don't see any differences in the talent levels between the Redskins and Chiefs?

Ha ha...

Zorn is failing with much much more talent on the roster than the Chiefs have.

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 12:01 PM
You don't see any differences in the talent levels between the Redskins and Chiefs?

Ha ha...

Herm has failed with much more talent than Zorn has.... Because, Herm is such a great keen eye for talent, he has built teams that have superior talent levels...

So whats the point? Zorn is man enough to admit it, Herm looks for someone to blame...

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Ha ha...

It pains me to say this fish but I agree with this 100%.

oaklandhater
12-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Herm has failed with much more talent than Zorn has.... Because, Herm is such a great keen eye for talent, he has built teams that have superior talent levels...

So whats the point? Zorn is man enough to admit it, Herm looks for someone to blame...

and thats why I hate herm has a coach and even more has a person.

Fish
12-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Herm has never had the talent that Washington has this year. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

Fish
12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
and thats why I hate herm has a coach and even more has a person.

That's perfectly understandable. For me personally, I don't care at all what the head coach does or doesn't tell the media. I don't think that makes one bit of difference in the play on the field. The fact that the players love Herm is support that the players could care less as well. DV got up there are cried quite a few times taking blame and defending his players and coaches. Not once did I see that emotion make a difference on the field or in any team-related capacity.

I wouldn't care if the head coach never once talked to the media..... coaches don't give away any good info anyway. It's all coachspeak and there's very little you can take from what the coach says. It's pointless other than giving the media and fans something to talk about...

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Herm has never had the talent that Washington has this year. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

So are we now saying that Herm cant draft or aquire talent at the level of Dan Snyder?

Boris The Great
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
ROFL

I take it nobody here follows the Redskins.

Zorn is probably out at the end of the season because the players cant stand him. One key reason is for that is he takes all the credit when the team wins, but when they lose he acts like he had nothing to do with it. It started in week one when the team looked like they had no idea what they were doing at the end of the game, when they should have been in a hurry-up offense and Zorn had no clue what to do. He took no blame, but once they won he acted like he he was a genius.

What Zorn said was a completely transparent attempt at deflecting that criticism. He is trying to save his job.

Please, spare us the posts praising his humility.

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 03:55 PM
ROFL

I take it nobody here follows the Chiefs.

Herm is probably out at the end of the season because the players cant stand him. One key reason is for that is he takes all the credit when the team wins, but when they lose he acts like he had nothing to do with it. It started in week one when the team looked like they had no idea what they were doing at the end of the game, when they should have been in a hurry-up offense and Herm had no clue what to do. He took no blame, but once they won he acted like he he was a genius.

What Herm said was a completely transparent attempt at deflecting that criticism. He is trying to save his job.

Wierd how you can subsitute names and the situation is the same regardless of talent?

Extra Point
12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
What Zorn said was a completely transparent attempt at deflecting that criticism. He is trying to save his job.

:fart:

Zouk
12-16-2008, 04:00 PM
ROFL

How about the "hip hip hooray" chants in the locker room? You think modern NFL players relate to that? It's really bizarre that he has that job. I'm not sure Snyder will resiste the urge to give Bill Cowher all the money he has.

Boris The Great
12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Wierd how you can subsitute names and the situation is the same regardless of talent?

No it isnt. Do the Chiefs players hate Herm? Its not even close to being the same.

the Talking Can
12-16-2008, 04:39 PM
No it isnt. Do the Chiefs players hate Herm? Its not even close to being the same.

right

the best player on our team begged for a trade at midseason...because he loved herm so much?

lj followed all the team rules and played hard because he loved Herm so much...err...

Damon Huard never quit, simply out of respect for Herm...

Jared Allen resigned with KC because he loved Herm so much

etc...

that is such a bunch of phony baloney nonsense

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2008, 04:43 PM

He can't prove anything other than he knows how to run his mouth.

Reerun is impervious to facts.

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
right

the best player on our team begged for a trade at midseason...because he loved herm so much?

lj followed all the team rules and played hard because he loved Herm so much...err...

etc...

You're right.

Your post is a bunch of phony baloney nonsense.

:shake:

the Talking Can
12-16-2008, 04:46 PM
You're right.

Your post is a bunch of phony baloney nonsense.

:shake:

hi, pussy

Fish
12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
So are we now saying that Herm cant draft or aquire talent at the level of Dan Snyder?

That's not what anyone is saying at all. In fact, I don't think anybody is saying Dan Snyder is at all successful with it. Snyder's approach is throwing money at free agents of the highest caliber. And usually it's without any regard for team cohesion, direction, or unity. He amasses overpriced talent, and then wonders why that alone doesn't equate to playoff wins. He thinks money can buy greatness.

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
hi, pussy

Typical response.

JFC.

chiefzilla1501
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, and all of that is Herm's faut.

It's most definitely Herm's fault that the Chiefs didn't re-sign Allen. Herm should have done a better job negotiating his contract because, you know, that's part of the head coach's job. The Allen trade is almost squarely blamed on Peterson and it was all about $$$$$$. I don't know how you could suggest Herm had anything to do with it.

LJ was a player that CP babied his entire time here. When LJ was suspended, there were reports that LJ had been acting like a locker room douche bag for years and Herm wanted to suspend him for his conduct, but Peterson would never allow it. It's not entirely Herm's fault that LJ acted like a prima donna, given the royal treatment CP always gave him.

Damon Huard never, ever quit on this team. He's just a lousy QB with no pass blocking that got killed and took one hit too many. I'm sure that he's nothing but appreciative to the one coach who actually gave him the opportunity to start.

Gonzalez is the only guy you can make an argument about, but I'm sure that has more to do with him wanting to win a Super Bowl instead of playing for a team in the beginning of a rebuild. And it was reported today that his relationship with CP had been straining for some time now. I don't think that has anything to do with like or disliking Herm Edwards. Given reports that CP delayed the rebuild and resisted Herm whenever he pushed for a rebuild, you could argue that if CP had done his job right, we wouldn't be in this situation and Gonzalez would be as happy as a clam.

right

etc...

StcChief
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Ha ha...

Zorn is failing with much much more talent on the roster than the Chiefs have.but he did LOSE to the Lambs at HOME earlier this year.

Boris The Great
12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
right

etc...

ROFL

One of the people you just listed, who isnt even with the Chiefs anymore, was just on the radio today praising Herm. You dont have the first clue what you are talking about.

DaneMcCloud
12-16-2008, 05:25 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5265166&postcount=27

Why?

Young coaches generally work better with veteran teams and vice versa.

Jim Zorn would have been a disaster in Kansas City.

Of course, the resident geniouses disagreed.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5265166&postcount=27

Of course, the resident geniouses disagreed.

Zorn would have been a disaster anywhere, IMO.

You can't treat adults like kids and expect them to respond.

Sure-Oz
12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
they lose cause portis isn't getting the rock 25-30 times, let that setup the pass....hell use ladell a bit too

Fish
12-16-2008, 05:43 PM
but he did LOSE to the Lambs at HOME earlier this year.

Yes. I pointed that out earlier. Whose side of the case do you think that helps?

12-16-2008, 06:47 PM
It starts with me.

We will never hear that out of Herm.

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 06:50 PM
He can't prove anything other than he knows how to run his mouth.

Reerun is impervious to facts.

Nobody will listen to me, even when I call everybody names because they dont think and love Herm like I do.... Dude stop crying...

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/family/blog/baby-crying%20jpg.jpg

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Your right, I forgot the players dont hate Herm...

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
That's not what anyone is saying at all. In fact, I don't think anybody is saying Dan Snyder is at all successful with it. Snyder's approach is throwing money at free agents of the highest caliber. And usually it's without any regard for team cohesion, direction, or unity. He amasses overpriced talent, and then wonders why that alone doesn't equate to playoff wins. He thinks money can buy greatness.

I know, I was just :Poke: at you about it...