PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Former coach Schottenheimer disappointed for Peterson

Hammock Parties
12-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh, happy day.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/938735.html

The man who helped Carl Peterson turn around a moribund Chiefs franchise couldn’t hide the shock.

“He quit?” Marty Schottenheimer asked quietly. “He did? Was this spontaneous, out of the blue?”

Schottenheimer was silent for a long time.

“Well, God almighty, oh boy,” he went on. “Hmm. Oh my. Oh. Tell you what. I’m totally shocked. Call me back in 10 minutes. I need to think about this.”

Of course he did. It was Peterson who hired Schottenheimer in 1989, a move that helped the Chiefs become a powerhouse. Under Schottenheimer, the Chiefs went 101-58-1 in the regular season. They filled the stands. They won three division titles, made the playoffs seven times and reached the AFC championship game once.

The turnaround was so complete that Peterson survived 10 years longer than Schottenheimer — despite not winning another playoff game.

Until Monday, when Peterson announced he was stepping down.

Schottenheimer picked up the phone again, but now he sounded sad and thoughtful. Peterson was the man with whom he’d shared the Chiefs’ halcyon years — the good times, the wins and the turnaround and the positive moments inevitably lost when a man’s time with a team comes to an end.

“I think it’s a remarkable credit to Carl that he could be involved with one organization for 20 years,” Schottenheimer said. “The public, they have their expectations and they hope you go out and win every year. And the Chiefs appear to be in a bit of a transition. I’m sure Carl’s disappointed, and I’m sure it wasn’t easy for (owner) Clark (Hunt) to make that decision, but that’s life in the National Football League.”

Schottenheimer would know. He’s had his share of being fired or forced out. So a few weeks ago, knowing that the Chiefs were struggling, he picked up the phone and called his old friend. He wanted Peterson to know there was someone out there thinking about him.

“I called to try to encourage him a little bit because it’s been a tough season,” Schottenheimer said.

Peterson sounded far from in despair. If he knew the end was near, he didn’t let on.

“He said, ‘Hey, it is disappointing, but we’ve got to find a way to go out and win a game this week,’ ” Schottenheimer said. “And I think they went out and won that week.”

But that was far from enough, and now, with Peterson out, Schottenheimer took a moment to speculate on what must be going through the mind of his former boss.

“I’m sure there’s a sense of disappointment and a frustration,” he said. “(Especially) when you look back on the fact he was able to spend 20 years in one place, working his tail off to try to get a championship. He’s obviously disappointed that that wasn’t achieved.

“But there were a lot of very positive things that were a part of his leadership. He and I used to go round and round, but at the end of the discussion, when we concluded our dialogue, when I walked out of his office or he walked out of mine, I knew we were after exactly the same thing, and that’s to find a way to win.”

Now Peterson’s chance to win, at least with the Chiefs, is over.

“I’m disappointed for Carl,” Schottenheimer said, “But hey, it’s the National Football League, and it’s tough.”

FringeNC
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Very telling comments -- it sounds like Peterson thought his job was safe. Maybe Clark only made the decision very recently to blow this thing up.

Fat Elvis
12-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Maybe Carl wasn't aware who really ran the kingdom. I think the Hunts asked for the crown back and it caught Carl off guard.

Brock
12-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Marty had to hang up the phone so he could laugh his ass off.

Bwana
12-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanslation: Gee, I figured when they kicked Herm to the curb, I may have a chance to come back, but now, not so much.

Scorp
12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Marty had to hang up the phone so he could laugh his ass off.

No Marty had to hang up to call Clark, and ask to be considered for GM.

BigChiefFan
12-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Like I said earlier, I think Carl got the bad news on Sunday. The look on his face was priceless after that game. I've never seen the man more dejected in all my life.

jspchief
12-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Maybe Carl and Marty can get together and build a team to play 20 years ago when their methods actually worked.

talastan
12-16-2008, 09:48 AM
If Marty is really considered for the job, what do you honestly feel he'll do? I just don't see him coming in a being an office guy, he'll be coaching from the stands IMO. Same with Cowher possibly. I don't know....I just want someone that will keep the rebuild going but will give it a direction instead of just refering to it as some mysterious "Plan" that no one talks about.

Simply Red
12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
'halcyon years' ROFLROFL

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
No Marty had to hang up to call Clark, and ask to be considered for GM.

Dear god Please NO!

Reerun_KC
12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
If Marty is really considered for the job, what do you honestly feel he'll do? I just don't see him coming in a being an office guy, he'll be coaching from the stands IMO. Same with Cowher possibly. I don't know....I just want someone that will keep the rebuild going but will give it a direction instead of just refering to it as some mysterious "Plan" that no one talks about.

Neither Marty or Cowher are fresh eyes on the franchise...

As bad as true fans want to hold on to Carl and Herm, its over, If Clark brings in a true GM, the reign of medicority is over and true fans will cry...

MichaelH
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Marty for GM!! His shock and disbelief tell me he is the new GM.

bowener
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Maybe Carl and Marty can get together and build a team to play 20 years ago when their methods actually worked.

Please, somebody, find me a picture of this so that I can make a poster for my brother. Then you all can vote on the form it will take, either:

a) FAIL [across the top]: Progress, You're doing it wrong [across the bottom].

b) 12 pack of beer: $9.99
Warm spot on the couch: $0
73 seconds effectively killing your buzz: $0
18 point lead blown : $0
26 curse words and one mild aneurysm: $0

Seeing the forlorn face of the man that has made you suffer for 10 years without a playoff victory after realizing he lost his job: Priceless.

c) Perseverance: Sometimes the wait isn't worth it.

Ok, these are pretty lame. So somebody with more time, please feel free to enlighten me.

bowener
12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Neither Marty or Cowher are fresh eyes on the franchise...

As bad as true fans want to hold on to Carl and Herm, its over, If Clark brings in a true GM, the reign of medicority is over and true fans will cry...

I was wondering something similar, but with different duo of GM/HC.

Somewhere in the many GM threads I came across one that said the GM responsible for Homlgren in GB is a candidate. If that is the case, and Holmgren is done in Seattle, is it a possibility they end up here together? I only say this because Holmgren admitted that he is second guessing retiring and admitted he would most likely coach again. I am merely bringing up the idea.