PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Reese interested in GM job...

DaWolf
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Ummm, not my first choice...

FLOYD REESE, AT IT AGAIN
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2008, 10:57 a.m.
When we saw that the Chiefs will be parting ways with long-time G.M. Carl Peterson, we wondered whether former Titans G.M. Floyd Reese would promptly purchase television time in the Kansas City area, or whether he finally has learned that publicly politicking for employment in an NFL front office might turn off those who are making the hiring decisions.

As it turns out, Floyd is sticking with the script that he has used as to actual and potential G.M. openings in Detroit and Cleveland.

Asked by the Kansas City Star if Reese is interested in the job, Reese said, “Who wouldn’t? It’s a great job.”

We’re starting to think that, in Reese’s vocabulary, the word “great” is a synonym for “vacant.”

Really, what job does Reese think isn’t a great job? In fairness to Reese, however, the job as the G.M. of any of the 32 NFL teams should be considered a “great” job by a guy who once held such a position, currently does not, and aspires to do so again.

Still, he’s going about it the wrong way. One league source described Reese’s behavior to us as “shameless.”

And, when it comes to Reese’s recent comments regarding the G.M. job that Phil Savage still holds in Cleveland, our source opined that Reese crossed the line.

There’s a code, the source explained, among the folks who hold high-profile jobs in pro sports. Under that code, a guy holding or hoping to hold one of those positions should never, ever talk about the fate of another guy who still has one of those jobs.

Whether it keeps Reese from getting hired by another NFL team remains to be seen, but he might have to deal with a Schrute-style Amish shunning if/when Floyd shows up for league meetings or other events at which he peers will be present.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/16/floyd-reese-at-it-again/

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/532

Hootie
12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
no thanks...don't feel like having a GM that doesn't understand the salary cap

Sure-Oz
12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Stick to ESPN floyd

DeezNutz
12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
This sounds great! Tebow here we come! And by come, I mean, "Jizz. In my pants."

Brock
12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Vince Young. Vince fucking Young.

Demonpenz
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
reesing is too small

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Vince Young. Vince ****ing Young.

Pacman Jones.

The Franchise
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
God no.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Sadly, he has his pimps on here. Only in Kansas City. :shake:

DeezNutz
12-16-2008, 11:10 AM

I've seen very few posters seriously endorse this guy. What's more remarkable, however, is that some are very much serious in advocating for Marty.

FringeNC
12-16-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't what anyone from any franchise that views QBs as game managers. That perhaps was the defining characteristic of the Peterson Era [with the exception of the DV years], and I want no part of it.

triple
12-16-2008, 11:13 AM

end of story.

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Just think how scary good the Titans would be with Cutler?

RedThat
12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
stay away from floyd reese please

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Reese? That would make me want Peterson back....no thanks

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM

While I DO NOT want Floyd Reese as the Chiefs GM, he has made some great draft selections, many at the mid-to-bottom of the round:

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Derrick Mason (4th)
Samari Rolle (2nd)
Benji Olson (5th)
Jevon Kearse
Keith Bullock
Justin Hartwig (6th)
Andre Dyson (2nd)
Albert Haynesworth
Jon Runyan (4th)

Brock
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
While I DO NOT want Floyd Reese as the Chiefs GM, he has made some great draft selections, many at the mid-to-bottom of the round:

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Derrick Mason (4th)
Samari Rolle (2nd)
Benji Olson (5th)
Jevon Kearse
Keith Bullock
Justin Hartwig (6th)
Andre Dyson (2nd)
Albert Haynesworth
Jon Runyan (4th)

It's a fair point.

FringeNC

I think there is a high correlation between True Fans and those that have a hard-on for smash-mouth teams with game-manager quarterbacks.

BigChiefFan
Sadly, he has his pimps on here. Only in Kansas City. :shake:Some actually think he's DECENT, let's not let that get misconstrued into ringing endorsement.

Anyong Bluth
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
His daughter went to one of the big universities in the area, so he's familiar with KC. Not a bad guy, but not my first choice.

triple
12-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I think there is a high correlation between True Fans and those that have a hard-on for smash-mouth teams with game-manager quarterbacks.

people will almost always fear change no matter how bad the present is

hawkchief
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
No thanks on Reese. We just finally dumped a clueless, arrogant guy in Peterson. Maybe Clark can find someone with a slightly smaller ego - perhaps Rod Blagojovich or someone like that.

PhillyChiefFan
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Didn't he come from UCLA?!?!?

bkkcoh
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
We all know that missing on a franchise QB in the draft with a 1st round draft choice sets your team back 4 or 5 years at minimum. Missing on a quality GM sets it back 20 years, huh?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Look up the Titans drafts from 2004-06. He lost his fastball. I wonder if they lost some player personnel guys who were really behind his success the whole time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2008, 11:36 AM

Absolutely. True Fans want the 90's back.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Look up the Titans drafts from 2004-06. He lost his fastball. I wonder if they lost some player personnel guys who were really behind his success the whole time.

Yep - he had some good ones and then started to miss a lot. 2005 and 2006 were terrible.

AustinChief
12-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Some actually think he's DECENT, let's not let that get misconstrued into ringing endorsement.
exactly, I definetely am not "pimping" for him... but he has had some success.

I would prefer we sell our souls to get Pioli or even Polian

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Chris or Bill?

And to be honest, I don't know if I'd want Pioli. New England has a pretty "meh" draft record the last several years, and he doesn't even have control of that team anyway. He almost seems like an up and comer who keeps ducking legitimate fighters to make himself appear better than what he really is.

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Chris or Bill?

And to be honest, I don't know if I'd want Pioli. New England has a pretty "meh" draft record the last several years, and he doesn't even have control of that team anyway. He almost seems like an up and comer who keeps ducking legitimate fighters to make himself appear better than what he really is.

I said this yesterday - I would stay away from Pioli. New England wins but they dont do in the normal sense. Alot of their moves have paid off but normally they wouldnt. I would look at Baltimore, Indy or Pittsburgh for somebody.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Chris or Bill?

Fuck.

You beat me to it.

I was going to post a thread with Pioli's draft record. It's really nothing special.

I think people are drawn to him because he's an executive for a team that has won 3 SB in the past decade, without taking the rest of the portfolio under consideration.

Dartgod
12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not familiar with the guy at all, but if he is that good, why is he unemployed?

chiefqueen
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
No, thanks for playing, Floyd.

KCrockaholic
12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Ill have to shoot Clark if he hires Reese

BigChiefFan
12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I Think the Ravens and Colts are most likely the top teams on a constant basis, who really utilize the draft for value and for their core players. I hope we definitely look in those directions. I agree on Pioli, I think Bellichek is just that thorough and knows exactly the type of players HE wants.

Honorable mention, Steelers, Panthers, Giants, and Eagles.

I would also say the edge probably goes to someone familiar with the AFC over the NFC.

Anyong Bluth
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Chris or Bill?

If Chris is anything of the same cut as his father, I'd be ecstatic to hire him as our next GM. I don't know Chris at all, but I've dealt/spoken with Bill a number of times a few years back for a while, and he was one of the nicest, most professional, and best GM's in terms of talent spotting in the business, IMO.

HemiEd
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Reese? That would make me want Peterson back....no thanks

Peterson at least had some strengths, not sure this guy has any.