PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I think KC is a great situation for a new GM and HC

RedThat
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
My reasoning, well they have the #2 overall pick in the draft.

They have great fans. And an awesome football atmosphere.

They're 25-30 million under the cap.

Got a ton of young players that a perfect for a coach to coach up

Any other reasons you think KC may be a good situation for a new GM and HC?

Frankie
12-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Any other reasons you think KC may be a good situation for a new GM and HC?

Unless the new coach wants different type of players, ala Dick Vermeil.

talastan
12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Unless the new coach wants different type of players, ala Dick Vermeil.

That is the main thing that concerns me as far as a new HC or GM. I really like the overall philosophy and players that have been brought in the past couple of drafts. I wouldn't want to abandon it all, just coach up what we've started and develop around what our foundation is.

allen_kcCard
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
BBQ?

chiefzilla1501
12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Amazing situation:
-Clark Hunt is an owner that will give the GM significant control, which is a HUGE plus
-Unlike our competitors, San Fran and Detroit, we don't have a major history of dysfunction. In fact, most experts seem to think we're heading in the right direction whereas the former two teams are sort of moving sideways
-KC is an organization that has shown a long tradition of loyalty, so it's a place where you can get tremendous job security

And the kicker....
How much pressure is there to do your job well? If you make a Super Bowl within 5 years, you've ALREADY accomplished more than the previous GM did in 20!

Rasputin
12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Amazing situation:
-Clark Hunt is an owner that will give the GM significant control, which is a HUGE plus
-Unlike our competitors, San Fran and Detroit, we don't have a major history of dysfunction. In fact, most experts seem to think we're heading in the right direction whereas the former two teams are sort of moving sideways
-KC is an organization that has shown a long tradition of loyalty, so it's a place where you can get tremendous job security

And the kicker....
How much pressure is there to do your job well? If you make a Super Bowl within 5 years, you've ALREADY accomplished more than the previous GM did in 20!

It's hard to phantom the fact we havn't won a playoff game since 1993~

Mecca
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd consider it a pretty good job, the only reason I wouldn't say great is the Chiefs don't have the cash flow some of these teams do.

RedThat
12-16-2008, 05:38 PM
I'd consider it a pretty good job, the only reason I wouldn't say great is the Chiefs don't have the cash flow some of these teams do.

because it is a small market. but a good small market.

TrickyNicky
12-16-2008, 05:38 PM
The NFL still has profit-sharing though, right? Like even the Lions turn a profit every year.

Mecca
12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
The NFL still has profit-sharing though, right? Like even the Lions turn a profit every year.

Yes but they Chiefs aren't turning the pure cash like say the Redskins do or the Cowboys or even Cleveland, that's why some teams can throw alot more money at players.

Skip Towne
12-16-2008, 05:41 PM

I sure can't phantom it.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes but they Chiefs aren't turning the pure cash like say the Redskins do or the Cowboys or even Cleveland, that's why some teams can throw alot more money at players.Cleveland? Market wise, they are in the same boat as us.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2008, 05:46 PM
LMAO

Mecca
12-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Cleveland? Market wise, they are in the same boat as us.

They got this thing called a new stadium that generates huge revenue. If you look at the gross listings they are actually one of the higher turning teams.

Rasputin
12-16-2008, 05:47 PM
LMAO

ROFL

StcChief
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Any other reasons you think KC may be a good situation for a new GM and HC?ok so we are #3 now.
behind the Lambs....

Lambs have SF at home
Lambs @ATLANTA

so we have hope they win and we don't beat MIA or @Cincy.
sounds like a long shot to #2.

a tie gives them #2 on Strength of schedule. Yes NFC W is bad too.

RedThat
12-16-2008, 06:01 PM
ok so we are #3 now.
behind the Lambs....

Lambs have SF at home
Lambs @ATLANTA

so we have hope they win and we don't beat MIA or @Cincy.
sounds like a long shot to #2.

a tie gives them #2 on Strength of schedule. Yes NFC W is bad too.

It's hard to tell whether we get #2 or #3. But i would never rule it out as a possiblilty?

I really don't think were gonna beat Miami and it is possible we could lose to Cincy. Rams can beat SF? I at least hope, and Atlanta? I highly doubt that. But who wouldve thought they woulda beat the Skins and Cowboys? You never know? I think this one comes down to the wire.

Lets hope for the #2 pick.

Otter
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM

Chiefs are worth more than than around 60% of the other NFL teams and have more operating income than 90% of the NFL.

This "small market" stuff is bunk.

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/09/13/nfl-team-valuations-biz-07nfl_cz_kb_mo_cs_0913nfl_land.html

Dylan
12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
AFC W. is wide open.

If you're the new general manager, you can make a huge statement --The division is there for the taking.

...as I was told

I also was told, when the Chiefs are good, their venue is one of the top 3 in the country

whoman69
12-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Chiefs are worth more than than around 60% of the other NFL teams and have more operating income than 90% of the NFL.

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/09/13/nfl-team-valuations-biz-07nfl_cz_kb_mo_cs_0913nfl_land.html

KC is small market in that there isn't much to lure players to come here except money. There is not going to be the media spotlight, the late night scene, great weather or whatever else might lure people to come here. The greatest asset the Chiefs have is their fans. It also has to be considered that though we do have the operating income from those fans, the current owner hasn't shown the willingness to part with it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Good stadium, loyal fanbase, laissez-faire owners, soft media, lots of young players, and a terrible division...

It's a great job.

SAUTO
12-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Good stadium, loyal fanbase, laissez-faire owners, soft media, lots of young players, and a terrible division...

It's a great job.

QUOTE OF THE DECADE

Otter
12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
KC is small market in that there isn't much to lure players to come here except money. There is not going to be the media spotlight, the late night scene, great weather or whatever else might lure people to come here. The greatest asset the Chiefs have is their fans. It also has to be considered that though we do have the operating income from those fans, the current owner hasn't shown the willingness to part with it.

The media gives attention to the teams that are winning. Remember when Vermeil was running the show and put the circus offense on the field every week? The Chiefs were mentioned nationally often, very often. When they were threatening to go 16-0 they were one of the most talked about teams in the NFL.

KC's night life isn't bad. It's on par with at least Pittsburgh and Indy and they don't seem to have problems getting good players and coaches. These guys have all summer off and make bucoo money. I think they can afford a plane ticket.

Great weather? You mean like New England, Denver, Pittsburg, Indy, Chicago? Or do you mean great weather like San Diego and Arizona and Miami?

Quit being so ****ing negative and stop expecting to be a loser. This defeatist mentality so many Chiefs fans possess is baffeling.

Mama Hip Rockets
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
they have tyler thigpen.

kcpasco
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM
They got this thing called a new stadium that generates huge revenue. If you look at the gross listings they are actually one of the higher turning teams.

And KC will have that in a few years

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Lerner's, Cleveland owner, is one of the top 5 richest owners that is why they have the cash flow.

Deberg_1990
12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Nobody has mentioned the real reason the KC GM position would be a top job??

Job Security. We only change GM's once every 20 years or so.

WebGem
12-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Nobody has mentioned the real reason the KC GM position would be a top job??

Job Security. We only change GM's once every 20 years or so.

20 years? He got the job in '88 or so, how do you figure 20 years?

WebGem
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
they have tyler thigpen.

this

whoman69
12-17-2008, 12:42 AM
The media gives attention to the teams that are winning. Remember when Vermeil was running the show and put the circus offense on the field every week? The Chiefs were mentioned nationally often, very often. When they were threatening to go 16-0 they were one of the most talked about teams in the NFL.

KC's night life isn't bad. It's on par with at least Pittsburgh and Indy and they don't seem to have problems getting good players and coaches. These guys have all summer off and make bucoo money. I think they can afford a plane ticket.

Great weather? You mean like New England, Denver, Pittsburg, Indy, Chicago? Or do you mean great weather like San Diego and Arizona and Miami?

Quit being so ****ing negative and stop expecting to be a loser. This defeatist mentality so many Chiefs fans possess is baffeling.

Indy hasn't built their team by FA nor has Pittsburg. Denver has the mountains and a franchise that has been winning for the last two decades. New England has won 3 Super Bowls and is part of one of the largest sports media markets in the country. We haven't been that kind of model franchise. All that national attention we had was forgotten after Cincinnati beat us. Certainly didn't help Hugh Douglas decide on KC as his next home.

You get the free agents by creating a franchise that people want to be a part of, by having the money to entice them, or by being in a market that will bring coverage. The Jets were atrocious last year and managed to attract several free agents of the upper echelon. KC decided to bring in young cast offs from other horrible franchises.

I think the fans of KC can bring players here, but if you think the top free agents are going to be thinking of hanging their hat here after winning only 6 games in the past two seasons, think again.

This franchise has not been to the Super Bowl since I started rooting for them 38 years ago, and has been to the championship game only once. This after 3 conference championships and a Super Bowl ring in the decade before. I'm not sure what sort of positive vibe you want me to feel about an organization that hasn't won a playoff game since George Herbert Walker Bush left office.

DJ's left nut
12-17-2008, 01:05 AM

Is this a trick question?

12-17-2008, 01:09 AM
20 years? He got the job in '88 or so, how do you figure 20 years?uhhhhh:spock:

Agent V
12-17-2008, 01:44 AM
1988 + 20 = ?

You can use some scrap paper if you'd like. No calculator.

ChiefsCountry
12-17-2008, 01:46 AM

Carl will be offically on the job for 20 years on Friday.

chiefzilla1501
12-17-2008, 07:31 AM
That was a nice and elaborate speech.

But the truth is, players don't care about the market they play for unless they're on their last contract. Players go to where the money is, period. 9 times out of 10, if you offer the nicest contract, you'll get the player you want.

Indy hasn't built their team by FA nor has Pittsburg. Denver has the mountains and a franchise that has been winning for the last two decades. New England has won 3 Super Bowls and is part of one of the largest sports media markets in the country. We haven't been that kind of model franchise. All that national attention we had was forgotten after Cincinnati beat us. Certainly didn't help Hugh Douglas decide on KC as his next home.

You get the free agents by creating a franchise that people want to be a part of, by having the money to entice them, or by being in a market that will bring coverage. The Jets were atrocious last year and managed to attract several free agents of the upper echelon. KC decided to bring in young cast offs from other horrible franchises.

I think the fans of KC can bring players here, but if you think the top free agents are going to be thinking of hanging their hat here after winning only 6 games in the past two seasons, think again.

This franchise has not been to the Super Bowl since I started rooting for them 38 years ago, and has been to the championship game only once. This after 3 conference championships and a Super Bowl ring in the decade before. I'm not sure what sort of positive vibe you want me to feel about an organization that hasn't won a playoff game since George Herbert Walker Bush left office.

Frankie
12-17-2008, 02:03 PM

2008-1988=20

DaneMcCloud
12-17-2008, 02:05 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I LOVE this place!

Cornstock
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM

can "phantom" be used as a verb?
just wondering...

Cornstock
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
can "phantom" be used as a verb?
just wondering...

just looked it up:
dictionary.com says no

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

:shake:

R&GHomer
12-17-2008, 02:52 PM

But the truth is, players don't care about the market they play for unless they're on their last contract. Players go to where the money is, period. 9 times out of 10, if you offer the nicest contract, you'll get the player you want.

Yep, I'll accept that when a player takes a job paying less to play somewhere other than KC. The idea is laughable really. It's all about the ole mighty dollar. Kc hasn't spent alot of money lately, because they haven't been ready to. Why go out and spend an azz load of money on free agents when you don't have a clear understanding of what you've already got. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but that would be STUPID! and the kind of crap a looser GM does for 20 Fugging years.

MikeMaslowski
12-17-2008, 03:06 PM

Wow... that set me straight! I was one of those who believed the small market Chiefs mindset. But after seeing we have a higher revenue than almost 20 other NFL teams I think we should buy some sticky pads for DBowes gloves and set up one of those cool ice-cream-of-the-future stands in the concession area!

ahh, heaven

Chiefnj2
12-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Players go to the money and where they feel the most wanted. How many times are players signed right after midnight? They could play the market a little more, but they don't - they sign quickly. Didn't Herm complain that the Chiefs don't get a shot at some guys because KC won't break the rules?

the Talking Can
12-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Carl's 30 year reign of terror is over

whoman69
12-17-2008, 03:54 PM

You hear market coming into it all the time. Player X wants to stay on the west coast. If you want to make it about the money, does it seem to you like Clark Hunt is wanting to reach into his pockets? Teams like Minnesota that have tried to bring in the big names have had to overpay for the product and end up with the job only half done when they run out of cash.

This team is going to have to do it in the draft, while picking up the occassional missing or necessary piece on the market. Kansas City is not going to attract big stars until the franchise proves its a winner.

KCrockaholic
12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Carl's 30 year reign of terror is over

30? 2008-1988=?? 30?

damn i knew my calculator was wrong.