PDA

View Full Version : Football instant upgrade for our defensive line

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Albert Haynesworth

By making the pro bowl yesterday DT Albert Haynesworth trigger a clause in his contract that makes him an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year.

This clause also prevents the Titans from placing the Franchise tag on Haynesworth.

He's hitting the market fellas and we have plenty of cap room

Haynesworth and a legit pass rushing DE and our draft could combined to do wonders for our defense! PBJ

make it happen, Scott!!!!

MikeMaslowski
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I am in agreement. He could add a little swagger and teach the youngins. He will not be cheap.

healthpellets
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
maybe after experiencing a one and done in the playoffs, he'll want to come play out his career for a rebuilding franchise....yaaaaaaaaaaaaa...prolly not.

MikeMaslowski
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
maybe after experiencing a one and done in the playoffs, he'll want to come play out his career for a rebuilding franchise....yaaaaaaaaaaaaa...prolly not.

It's all about the benjamins.......

Direckshun
12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Eh.... what are the odds that he continues playing hard once he gets his payday?

Listen, I'm all for it if it's the Haynesworth we've seen this year. Next to Dorsey with a decent rotation will help, but I can't help but think he's a headcase.

King_Chief_Fan
12-17-2008, 09:44 AM
let's see how he fares with the injury. We surely don't want that liability

Mr. Laz

hey Debbie Downer, nice to finally meet you!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
That.

Eh.... what are the odds that he continues playing hard once he gets his payday?

Listen, I'm all for it if it's the Haynesworth we've seen this year. Next to Dorsey with a decent rotation will help, but I can't help but think he's a headcase.

Fish
I'd rather wait for Tank to develop.......

talastan
12-17-2008, 09:45 AM

This.......I see an LJ pt. 2 situation all over this.

healthpellets
12-17-2008, 09:46 AM
hey Debbie Downer, nice to finally meet you!!

i thought we had met last weekend, in that bathroom stall...at that bar...right before you did that line off the floor. no? that wasn't you?

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Adding Haynesworth and Peppers would take us straight to an AFC championship game next year.

Demonpenz
12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
This.......I see an LJ pt. 2 situation all over this.

dan williams

cmh6476
12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
i think we need a pass-rushing DE more than we need a DT, but maybe I'm wrong :shrug:

MikeMaslowski
12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I'd rather wait for Tank to develop.......

I'm not sure, with his 0 sacks and all......

MikeMaslowski
12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Adding Haynesworth and Peppers would take us straight to an AFC championship game next year.

My sarcasm meter is off the charts..... at least i hope.

Rausch
12-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Uh, they all get paid.

If they play better owners pay better.

Ok, a different approach. We sign him, we did what we could to improve the team. A whole lot, honestly. If he doesn't work out Clark is out a ton of money and you...well...it costs you nothing.

healthpellets
12-17-2008, 09:53 AM

an exclamation point would have helped the meter reading.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-17-2008, 09:54 AM

I was being serious...... kinda!

The Franchise
12-17-2008, 10:06 AM

And it would also put us in cap hell. Haynesworth, Peppers and Dorsey's contracts would be cap hell.

Spicy McHaggis
12-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Not great in my opinion. There's no doubt the guy is a beast, just a physical freak. He very well may tear it up but I'm hesitant to hand over that kind of cheddar to someone like him.

Agree here too. He had issues with his temper in college and let's not forget he stomped on Gurode's head 2 years ago. I guess he just needed to "mature" because stomping on a person's head is a perfectly reasonable action for a guy who was 25 at the time to take. I mean, he was just a kid you know. Just needed to "grow up" a bit. Fucking ridiculous.

Direckshun
Uh, they all get paid.

If they play better owners pay better.

Ok, a different approach. We sign him, we did what we could to improve the team. A whole lot, honestly. If he doesn't work out Clark is out a ton of money and you...well...it costs you nothing.

I root for the fucking team. That's one thing it costs me.

patteeu

I'm with you.

Jerm
12-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd rather have Peppers as I see DE as more of a need but I doubt he makes the open market.

Can't go wrong with Haynesworth however, I wouldn't be upset at all if we signed him.

RedThat
12-17-2008, 10:10 AM
And it would also put us in cap hell. Haynesworth, Peppers and Dorsey's contracts would be cap hell.

that would be quite a bit of investing in the defense. Not to mention i think DJs gonna want a new contract soon?

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
wow ..... Chiefs fans are even afraid to add a pro bowler to the team now.

RedThat
I would love to have Haynesworth and Peppers. But that would be A LOT of money and unrealistic.

RedThat
wow ..... Chiefs fans are even afraid to add a pro bowler to the team now.

I'd love to have both Peppers and Haynesworth

call me greedy

MOhillbilly
12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
what about merriman? i know he is a LB but SD has alot of free agents to sign this year.

Jerm
I think we could snag one but not both.

Really can't go wrong with either.

RedThat
just curious if we bring in a new GM that hires a coach whos preference is to run 3-4 schemes, can Haynesworth do it? Can he play NT? He is definately big enough, dudes got the size. I know Peppers can't play OLB in a 3-4 and would rather prefer DE in a 4-3

CoMoChief
12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
We need to run a 3-4.

Trade Tamba for a 3rd rd pick.

Get that big mother ****er NT from Alabama.....forget his name. Line Dorsey and Tyler on the ends.

Draft Rey Mauluga

Pick up Terrell Suggs in FA

Hope Donnie Edwards can fill the RILB position for on year

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
just curious if we bring in a new GM that hires a coach whos preference is to run 3-4 schemes, can Haynesworth do it? Can he play NT? He is definately big enough, dudes got the size. I know Peppers can't play OLB in a 3-4 and would rather prefer DE in a 4-3
i think haynesworth would be wasted in a 3-4 unless you played really aggressive and just turned him loose on the center on every play.

most NT in a 3-4 are just supposed to "hold" the point of attack.

Jerm
12-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Man I wish we could find some dope team to do that deal. ROFL

MOhillbilly
12-17-2008, 10:19 AM

that dude aint gonna make a whole year.

and more interior tackles doesnt hold any water for this team. KC has enough young untested over and under tackles on the roster.

Fish
12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I still think DE and LB are much much higher priorities than DT at this point.....

Jerm
12-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I still think DE and LB are much much higher priorities than DT at this point.....

Agreed, at least there's signs of life at the DT position...there isn't any in the two spots you named.

For me, LB is the biggest need going into FA and the draft by far.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2008, 10:33 AM
We need to run a 3-4.

Get that big mother ****er NT from Alabama.....forget his name. Line Dorsey and Tyler on the ends.

Draft Rey Mauluga

Pick up Terrell Suggs in FA

Let's not make one of the Supreme Defensive Personnel Fuck-Ups of the Millennium worse; Career over please...

that dude aint gonna make a whole year.

and more interior tackles doesnt hold any water for this team. KC has enough young untested over and under tackles on the roster.

See Above.

This.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
if we stick with the 4-3, then him and dorsey would be a sick combo, with tank rotating in.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
if we stick with the 4-3, then him and dorsey would be a sick combo, with tank rotating in.

Pittsburgh is running a 3-4, and they are the top-rated overall defense in the NFL. This week anyway...

PastorMikH
12-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I am in agreement. He could add a little swagger and teach the youngins. He will not be cheap.

I can't help but think he'll cost quite a bit more for us. He had a major chip on his shoulder that two teams picked DTs ahead of him in that draft. The fact that we were one of those teams can't help our bargaining position.

Demonpenz
12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
lemme lemme upgrade ya

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
that would be quite a bit of investing in the defense. Not to mention i think DJs gonna want a new contract soon?

A contract he can shove up his ass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
lemme lemme upgrade ya

And let me upgrade YOU to a super-big, dumbass gold chain you can put in your mouth and walk around like a goofus-ballus with!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/Beyonce.jpg

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
It's all about the benjamins.......

This

MOhillbilly
12-17-2008, 11:23 AM
wanna upgrade the DL? get better linebackers.

Demonpenz
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
You have good enough DL the ball doesn't even get to the linebackers. Point aside we need to upgrade both the DL and linebackers and both can benifit from each other.

DT58HOF
12-17-2008, 11:39 AM
im for it as long as they bring Jeff Fisher with them!!

TommyHawk69
12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
No good defensive ends are gonna hit the free agent market. If we got Haynesworth it would be great but not a must. Jonathan Vilma, Channing Crowder, and Bart Scott are gonna be free agents at MLB I could see us signing one of them who are relatively young and still possibly ascending. Karlos Dansby, Angelo Crowell, and Leroy Hill are gonna be free agents at OLB again younger and good players. From there an offensive lineman or two my guess Jason Brown the center from the Ravens and/ or a right tackle like Vernon Carey from Miami. One corner probably a Jabari Greer Eric Green type of corner the rest in the draft.

talastan
12-17-2008, 12:24 PM
No good defensive ends are gonna hit the free agent market. If we got Haynesworth it would be great but not a must. Jonathan Vilma, Channing Crowder, and Bart Scott are gonna be free agents at MLB I could see us signing one of them who are relatively young and still possibly ascending. Karlos Dansby, Angelo Crowell, and Leroy Hill are gonna be free agents at OLB again younger and good players. From there an offensive lineman or two my guess Jason Brown the center from the Ravens and/ or a right tackle like Vernon Carey from Miami. One corner probably a Jabari Greer Eric Green type of corner the rest in the draft.

I agree with what you've said. What kind of MLB would fit best in our scheme. I think Vilma is probably the best fit out there right now for the Chiefs.

TommyHawk69
12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree with what you've said. What kind of MLB would fit best in our scheme. I think Vilma is probably the best fit out there right now for the Chiefs.

I think Vilma could step in and be that quarterback of the defense type of a player he doesn't fit that good in the saints D he is a cover two middle backer which is why Jets traded him. The one that is intriguing to me is Crowder cause he is a beast with attitude at MLB and definatly on his way up. The best thing we have going in free agency is there are a lot of linebackers that are gonna be free agents. So that frees us up in the draft for DE, OL, and possibly a QB to compete with Croyle and Thigpen.

KCrockaholic
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Haynesworth would be a perfect mentor to Dorsey at DT, sounds like a plan to me! but be ready to spend all your money on the guy.

cabletech94
12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I'd be all over Hayneworth too, although it just kinda depends.

Do we get a Chester McGlockton type, that did okay for maybe a year. Or do we get a Vonnie Holliday that had 3 sacks in his first game and then disappered for the rest of his Chiefs career.

Gravedigger
12-17-2008, 12:43 PM
This would send a giant F*** you to Jared Allen's ego =P

POND_OF_RED
12-17-2008, 01:11 PM
We had our chance at Haynesworth but we took Ryan Sims. Maybe the Chiefs know something we don't.

Chris Meck
12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
yeah, like he's a pretty well friggin' documented head case. He's the guy that stomped on somebody's head, remember?

he's got problems.

A mentor?

uhh...no.

I'd stay away.

healthpellets
12-17-2008, 02:14 PM

yeah, like he's a pretty well friggin' documented head case. He's the guy that stomped on somebody's head, remember?

he's got problems.

A mentor?

uhh...no.

I'd stay away.

I hate winning too...

ChiefsOne
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Didn't we already pass on him and draft Ryan Sims?

Chris Meck
12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
oh yeah, I hate winning.

You watch-he'll get his big fat contract and his ass will soon match.

BigChiefFan
12-17-2008, 06:41 PM

he's got problems.

A mentor?

uhh...no.

I'd stay away.Maybe you should realize that Haynesworth decided, he didn't want that play to be his legacy, so he decided to start giving his all to become one of the best DTs in the game.
We need the road hog in the middle, until we do, our D will continue to be dog shit.

suds79
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM

he's got problems.

A mentor?

uhh...no.

I'd stay away.

You could pretty much say the same thing about Jared Allen being a headcase remember? The Vikings don't mind.

Bottomline is that he's probably the best DT in the league and would dramatically make our D much, much better.

We have all this cap room. Why not? You never know how any player will react once they get paid. Take a chance. Our D needs impact players.

Hootie
12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Haynesworth can become unrestricted free agent...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3775006

Give him a blank check.

milkman
12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=198601

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Negative.

For the kind of cash he's going to command, we can sign 2 solid players at DE, LB, etc...

(I'm guessing he's going to get in the neighborhood of $23-26M in guaranteed money)

KCChiefsMan
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Negative.

For the kind of cash he's going to command, we can sign 2 solid players at DE, LB, etc...

(I'm guessing he's going to get in the neighborhood of $23-26M in guaranteed money)

it would be worth it, imagine him and Dorsey, how much that would help Dorsey? I'd do it if they don't tag him and don't have to drop a first rounder

KCChiefsMan
12-17-2008, 07:43 PM
nevermind, I didn't read. UFA I say get him!

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 07:45 PM
it would be worth it, imagine him and Dorsey, how much that would help Dorsey? I'd do it if they don't tag him and don't have to drop a first rounder

So, let me get this straight.

You want to spend $25M guaranteed on one player, when the position that player plays is FAR from our biggest need at this point?

Can he play DE?

MLB?

OLB?

RT?

Adept Havelock
12-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, blow a huge amount of cap space to sign a headcase that has been suspended by the league for raging out and grinding his cleats into the head of the Cowboy's center.

An idiot like that, we don't need.

You want to spend $25M guaranteed on one player, when the position that player plays is FAR from our biggest need at this point?

Can he play DE?

MLB?

OLB?

RT?

He might really want to. Then again it could be just another attention whore thread.

KCChiefsMan
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Can he play DE?

MLB?

OLB?

RT?

well, I'm all for signing a guy who could make the entire defense way way way better.

Adept Havelock
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
well, I'm all for signing a guy who could make the entire defense way way way better.

I'm far from convinced Haynesworth is capable of that. Add something to it? Sure. He's talented, even if he is a headcase. Can he upgrade the defense by the magnitude you suggest? Maybe, but I don't see it.

I can't see blowing that much coin on one position when we're fooked at so many.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Negative.

So you'd rather have two "solid" players than one superstar... maybe the best player at his position in football... Ok... you'd probably rather we had Ben Coates and Thomas Jones all these years rather than Tony Gonzalez. You need a superstar or two. A bunch of solid players don't win championships.

edit... even though we've never won a championship with Gonzalez either but you you get the damn point.

Reerun_KC
12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Lets let the new GM and HC show us what and how they want to approach FA and the draft...

IT is going to be a total new mindset from the joke we have experience with Herm and Carl...

Hootie
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Haynesworth and Dorsey + Orakpo? I don't care how much money is locked into the trenches...that's where the money should be at.

It's a pipe dream but if we could lure Haynesworth to KC that would be awesome.

dj56dt58
12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Negative.

solid players aren't shit without a great player..i'm fucking sick of "solid players" who are never solid for us anyway

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Lets let the new GM and HC show us what and how they want to approach FA and the draft...

IT is going to be a total new mindset from the joke we have experience with Herm and Carl...

This is a good point.

But I'd still love to have Haynesworth.

:D

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 08:06 PM
So you'd rather have two "solid" players than one superstar... maybe the best player at his position in football... Ok... you'd probably rather we had Ben Coates and Thomas Jones all these years rather than Tony Gonzalez. You need a superstar or two. A bunch of solid players don't win championships.

edit... even though we've never won a championship with Gonzalez either but you you get the damn point.

We're not hurting at DT. Haynesworth is a luxury. Period.

If we're going to spend ridiculous money in Free Agency, we better be getting some combination of players we actually NEED.

MLB
DE
OLB
RT

Signing Haynesworth does not fix this defense.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
We're not hurting at DT. Haynesworth is a luxury. Period.

If we're going to spend ridiculous money in Free Agency, we better be getting some combination of players we actually NEED.

MLB
DE
OLB
RT

Signing Haynesworth does not fix this defense.

I respectfully disagree. Haynesworth's position may not be the biggest position of need but his ability makes things easier for the rest of the defense and thereby the whole defense improves. He's a rare guy. I'd love to have him.

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
solid players aren't shit without a great player..i'm fucking sick of "solid players" who are never solid for us anyway

Let's say the new GM says we're going to spend $25M in guaranteed money this offseason.

Would you rather have:

Haynesworth

or

Igor Olshansky and Jonathan Vilma?

(players used as examples of $ amount being discussed only)

You're an idiot if you say Haynesworth.

HemiEd
12-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Negative.

WTF? that sounds like a mediocre plan to me.

Chiefnj2
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Haynesworth didn't have much of an impact his first two years in the league. Maybe KC should give Dorsey and Tyler some more time before throwing more money at the position.

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, blow a huge amount of cap space to sign a headcase that has been suspended by the league for raging out and grinding his cleats into the head of the Cowboy's center.

An idiot like that, we don't need.

If the guy produced regularly, I'd be more open to it, though I still think DT is a luxury right now.

He has 8 sacks this year.

He had 9.5 TOTAL his first FIVE years in the league - COMBINED.

He plays when he wants to play, and what do you know, it's a contract year - so he plays balls out to get paid.

No thanks.

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Haynesworth didn't have much of an impact his first five years in the league. Maybe KC should give Dorsey and Tyler some more time before throwing more money at the position.

FYP.

Adept Havelock
12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
If the guy produced regularly, I'd be more open to it, though I still think DT is a luxury right now.

He has 8 sacks this year.

He had 9.5 TOTAL his first FIVE years in the league - COMBINED.

He plays when he wants to play, and what do you know, it's a contract year - so he plays balls out to get paid.

No thanks.

He's a solid DT. Heck, he's one of the better ones in the league. That said, I'm with you in that we have much bigger needs.

This also makes me very leery. You don't spend that kind of coin on someone who can't control their rage.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W5nlEA8BUTQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W5nlEA8BUTQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 08:37 PM
He's a solid DT. Heck, he's one of the better ones in the league. That said, I'm with you in that we have much bigger needs.

This also makes me very leery. You don't spend that kind of coin on someone who can't control their rage.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W5nlEA8BUTQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

is there ANY ....... ANY player in the league you aren't leery about.

should be pay for Tom Brady if he becomes available?

no

How about wr Steve Smith

hmmm no not him either?

:shake:

Chris Meck
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Waaaaah! You don't want to win! You just want to be mediocre!

ahem.

Chris Meck
12-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh yes, of course. and just in time for his contract year, too.

You guys would run the team like Al Davis.

Adept Havelock
12-17-2008, 08:42 PM
is there ANY ....... ANY player in the league you aren't leery about.
:spock:

Yep, plenty of them. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

should be pay for Tom Brady if he becomes available?

no
Why not? What's the downside?

How about wr Steve Smith

hmmm no not him either?
Sure, because stomping the head of a defenseless player in a rage during a game is completely different from mixing it up with a player on your own team during practice. You don't see the difference? :shrug:

Between that red flag and the amount of coin he'd command, I don't see it. We have much bigger needs.

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Waaaaah! You don't want to win! You just want to be mediocre!

ahem.
im sorry ..... who are you

the chris meck i remember never post less than 3 droneful paragraghs.

this post just doesn't cut it

wazu
12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd go for this. We need to flaunt our crazy cap room and get this thing turned around. Draft a franchise QB and a handful of really great free agents.

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh yes, of course. and just in time for his contract year, too.

You guys would run the team like Al Davis.

he's been good for alot more than 1 season

i'm only aware of 1 "issue" for Haynesworth in the NFL as well.

Chiefaholic
12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
If our GM hires a head coach that plays the 4-3, then get him. Opposing QB's had WAY too much time in the pocket this season. Having a dominant DT makes average DE's look pretty good. Just imagine if Dorsey developes into the DT we imagined he would be. Now, put that next to Albert, add a healthy Hali, and draft a stud RE. This frees up the LB's and the DB's don't have to cover their man 6-7 seconds.

Heaven forbid we play the cover 2 next season, we HAVE to put pressure on the QB with a 4 man rush.

Chiefnj2
12-17-2008, 09:22 PM
If our GM hires a head coach that plays the 4-3, then get him. Opposing QB's had WAY too much time in the pocket this season. Having a dominant DT makes average DE's look pretty good. Just imagine if Dorsey developes into the DT we imagined he would be. Now, put that next to Albert, add a healthy Hali, and draft a stud RE. This frees up the LB's and the DB's don't have to cover their man 6-7 seconds.

Heaven forbid we play the cover 2 next season, we HAVE to put pressure on the QB with a 4 man rush.

If having dominant DT's make average DE's look good then why did the Vikings spend all that money on JA? Why weren't the Jags (when Stroud and Henderson were together) getting at the QB all the time with their DE's?

Fritz88
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
He looks delicious.

tk13
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
He's playing as well as anyone, but there has to be some concern because there's a lot of defensive tackles who've not performed quite as well after getting a fat contract. Probably happens at that position more than anywhere else.

Chiefaholic
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
If having dominant DT's make average DE's look good then why did the Vikings spend all that money on JA? Why weren't the Jags (when Stroud and Henderson were together) getting at the QB all the time with their DE's?

Then you're saying Eric Hicks was a pretty decent DE? After all it had nothing to do with the play of the McGlockton.

banyon
12-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Reminds me a little of the Hugh Douglas/Vonnie Holliday rush several years back, but Haynesworth is better than both those guys, but I'd be worried about his motivation here.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
My Kingdom for 4 up front, 2 OLB's, 1 FS, 1 SS and 2 CB's...

KCChiefsMan
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
I've thought about it some more, DTs tend to get lazy once they get paid. I dunno, Tank could still develop and if we could spend that money on a bigger need it would probably be better

RippedmyFlesh
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I respectfully disagree. Haynesworth's position may not be the biggest position of need but his ability makes things easier for the rest of the defense and thereby the whole defense improves. He's a rare guy. I'd love to have him.
Ill bet dorsey would love to line up next to him.

RedThat
12-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Albert Haynesworth is one of the best DTs in football no question about it. I'd love to have him.

The Chiefs may need a passrusher but they could sure as heck use a DT. This franchise has not had a good DT in well over a decade. And why do the Chiefs suck on defense? Well, hate to break it but thats one of the reasons why.

A great DT means a lot for a defense. If you have a good one it can do wonders for your defense. A great DT commands double teams that can freeup your DEs making it easier to generate a passrush. A great DT that commands double teams and also one that knows how to control his gaps well enough to eat up space, he frees up his LBers.

A great DT that can over power guards and centers and be that disruptive force by pushing and penetrating his way into the backfield automatically betters your run defense and passrush too. They may not get a lot of sacks, but a great one will get a good push and sure as heck prevent the QB from stepping up into the pocket.

Whats there not to like about a great DT?

*And plus I think Haynesworth fits the mold of the "real" prototypical DT. His size says it all. 6'6" 320lbs. Strong and powerful as a bear. Folks, this is the size to go nowadays for DT in the NFL. Reason, the guards and centers are a lot bigger, quicker, and stronger now then they have ever been before.

kcchiefsus
12-17-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure, with his 0 sacks and all......

Yeah, Albert Haynesworth was a real monster through his first 3 seasons with a mere 4.5 sacks over those 3 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Albert Haynesworth was a real monster through his first 3 seasons with a mere 4.5 sacks over those 3 years.

Get the biggest and best DT's and DE's you can, and then put a couple of OLB's to work on getting the actual pressure and sacks.
Let the SS and FS handle anything they try to send up the middle or around the outside.

We've got three CB's that can handle man to man just fine; let them do their jobs.

bowener
12-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Ill bet dorsey would love to line up next to him.

I was wondering how much he could teach Dorsey (and Tank), that would be an added benefit. I hope he leaves the face stomp out of the curriculum of course.

What do you think it would cost to get him? Wont the Shaun Rogers or TURD Sands contracts cause his to be fucking outrageous?

Also, how much would Vilma run us?

Chiefaholic
12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Wanna free up some cash? Cut Surtain (our NICKLE back) and draft another CB in the middle rounds this year.

dj56dt58
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Let's say the new GM says we're going to spend $25M in guaranteed money this offseason.

Would you rather have:

Haynesworth

or

Igor Olshansky and Jonathan Vilma?

(players used as examples of $ amount being discussed only)

You're an idiot if you say Haynesworth.

Haynesworth..linebackers can't play to their full potential without a solid line, you're the idiot

RustShack
12-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Imagine if Peppers became a free agent and we ended up with both those guys... then drafted Rey Mualuga...

KCChiefsMan
12-18-2008, 04:28 AM
how did the Giants win their Superbowl? d-line

J Diddy
12-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Wanna free up some cash? Cut Surtain (our NICKLE back) and draft another CB in the middle rounds this year.

flowers, carr, and legget look decent

I agree surtain needs to go, but I think a street fa will be able to provide backkup

SenselessChiefsFan
12-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Albert Haynesworth

By making the pro bowl yesterday DT Albert Haynesworth trigger a clause in his contract that makes him an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year.

This clause also prevents the Titans from placing the Franchise tag on Haynesworth.

He's hitting the market fellas and we have plenty of cap room

Haynesworth and a legit pass rushing DE and our draft could combined to do wonders for our defense! PBJ

make it happen, Scott!!!!

DT position is not one of need. While Haynesworth would clearly be an upgrade over any of our DT's at this point, it isn't the primary need.

If the Chiefs are going to spend that money, it shouldn't be on a DT.

BigChiefFan
12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
DT position is not one of need. While Haynesworth would clearly be an upgrade over any of our DT's at this point, it isn't the primary need.

If the Chiefs are going to spend that money, it shouldn't be on a DT.

Yea, that gaping hole up the middle will just magically fix itself-I'm certain Tank Tyler is a Pro Bowler.:D

It's all starts on the lines-we continue to rely on average players to shore up the defense and we continue to struggle-coincedence?, I think not. Add inferior coaching to that and you get the 32 defense.

SAUTO
12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Yea, that gaping hole up the middle will just magically fix itself-I'm certain Tank Tyler is a Pro Bowler.:D

It's all starts on the lines-we continue to rely on average players to shore up the defense and we continue to struggle-coincedence?, I think not. Add inferior coaching to that and you get the 32 defense.

Has anyone WATCHED TANK play lately?

BigChiefFan
12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Has anyone WATCHED TANK play lately?
Yes, he's playing better, but better than suck ass, doesn't mean much. Even comparing Tyler to Haynesworth is laughable. Tyler will make a fine bench player.

bkkcoh
12-18-2008, 09:07 AM
No doubt he would make our d-line a lot better, but how much would we have to overpay him to get him in a Chiefs uniform next year?

Chiefnj2
12-18-2008, 09:10 AM
how did the Giants win their Superbowl? d-line

By drafting and developing their D line. If KC were to copy the NYG's plan they would develop the early draft picks that they already have and not throw big money at free agents.