PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defense and the future GM

talastan
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Given that some of the major prospects for GM, and the fact that they would want to bring in they're own coaches what will happen to our current defense. My reason for asking is for example look at the teams that the following prospects come from:

Cowher - Pittsburgh runs a 3-4 D

Pioli - Patriots runs a 3-4 D

Marty - though he ran both throughout his career, his last team Sandy Eggo runs a 3-4 D

Would we actually be able to pull this off or would we have to completely restructure our roster. Would this make all of the draft picks in the last three seasons a complete waste given they were drafted for a 4-3 defense? Just curious

KCrockaholic
12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I would like to see us run the 3-4 but our team is not built for the 3-4. He need big guys at DE, Tamba isnt big enough. Is dorsey big enough to fill the NS spot? i dont think so. We need about 3 more good linebackers. we would have DJ, ?,?,? it would be hard to pull off in 1 year.

L.A. Chieffan
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
3-4 would be bad for us.

milkman
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
3-4 would be bad for us.

Yep.

We'd have to blow up this defensive roster and pretty much start from scratch.

ChiefsCountry
12-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I know a coach and GM that could run with our current set of players who are very similar to what the coach has now. ;)

talastan
12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I know a coach and GM that could run with our current set of players who are very similar to what the coach has now. ;)

Who would be a good GM prospect then? Maybe the guy from the Giants, they run a 4-3.

talastan
12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
I guess Polian could work out, although we might be dealing with more Tampa 2 given what they run in Indy.

Direckshun
12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Yep.

We'd have to blow up this defensive roster and pretty much start from scratch.

In all honesty, that's where we're at right now.

Hammock Parties
12-17-2008, 03:02 PM
If Dorsey is a bust it's not like we're scrapping much talent in the front seven anyway. I think DJ could play in a 3-4.

el borracho
12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Our defense is ranked #32 and has zero probowl players. No one is irreplaceable on that squad. If someone has value but doesn't fit the scheme then the Chiefs should trade that player and move on with what is best for the franchise and, yes, that includes Dorsey.

*note: I am not necessarily saying the Chiefs should move to the 3-4, just saying there isn't any real reason not to make the change. Our front seven are garbage, anyway.

Alphaman
12-17-2008, 03:04 PM
If Dorsey is a bust it's not like we're scrapping much talent in the front seven anyway. I think DJ could play in a 3-4.

I don't think Dorsey is a bust at all. Name the last DT that was immediately disruptive in his rookie year....probably John Henderson.

Dorsey's rookie season has been on par with Haynesworth and Tommie Harris...two of the league's best.

Alphaman
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
IF, and that is a huge IF, Hunt can land Pioli, then this is what I think could happen:

GM: Pioli
Head Coach: McDaniel (current OC for NE)
Def Coor: Crennell (current HC for Cleveland, former DC for New England)
QB: Matt Cassell

Why do I say this? Guys from that Parcells tree like to stick with former guys from that tree.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
couldnt Dorsey be a DE in a 3-4

CoMoChief
12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Given that some of the major prospects for GM, and the fact that they would want to bring in they're own coaches what will happen to our current defense. My reason for asking is for example look at the teams that the following prospects come from:

Cowher - Pittsburgh runs a 3-4 D

Pioli - Patriots runs a 3-4 D

Marty - though he ran both throughout his career, his last team Sandy Eggo runs a 3-4 D

Would we actually be able to pull this off or would we have to completely restructure our roster. Would this make all of the draft picks in the last three seasons a complete waste given they were drafted for a 4-3 defense? Just curious

- Dorsey and Tyler IMO could play ends
- Hope that huge NT from Bama, Cody falls in the 2nd rd and draft him
- Draft Mauluga with first pick
- Acquire DE/ROLB Terrell Suggs in FA

Trade Hali for a first day pick. May have to swap picks in later rds to get that pick.

IMO we could do it.

talastan
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
IF, and that is a huge IF, Hunt can land Pioli, then this is what I think could happen:

Why do I say this? Guys from that Parcells tree like to stick with former guys from that tree.

Meh....I don't want Cassell, his success is a product of the Pats system, not of his talent. We could find someone I'm sure a lot better IMO. I don't see a killer D out there in Cleveland right now so no to Crennell.

CoMoChief
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM

DJ would be a beast in a 3-4

CoMoChief
12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I was watching the Rams game the other day and they were running a 3-4 early in the game with Carriker and Long, and SEA couldnt do anything offensively.

Then they changed it up and started getting their asses kicked.

Theres one common factor in all of the good defenses in the NFL, most of those good defenses are 3-4, the only exception IMO is TEN

MGRS13
12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
This team has won 2 games this year and you are wondering if it should be blown up? the defense has what 9 sacks now? they blew the game last week in 1 minute and 19 secs, no, no sounds to me like we are on the right track no reson to blow this thing up............are u Herm because really who the hell else thinks this whole D shouldn't be reworked?

Stryker
12-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Shit! That would be incredible.

CoMoChief
12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Shit! That would be incredible.

No it wouldnt because we'd dump a **** load of money to Cassell who IMO isn't any better than Thigpen.

eazyb81
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
The truly GREAT defensive minds, whether still in this league or retired, were not so stubborn that they only used one scheme. The best have a focus and a vision, but are able to adjust the scheme to fit their current players.

Also, they rely on unique looks, creativity, matchups, and confusing the QB - these can be achieved via exotic or plain sets, but you have to know your personnel. On the other hand, poor defensive coordinators stubbornly cling to one scheme and are unwilling or incapable of thinking outside the box.

For me, I want the former - a great defensive mind -rather than to pick a guy primarily based on the scheme he runs.

B_Ambuehl
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
I think Dorsey could do it. In fact, I think the chances of him adding 20 pounds and being a really good NT are better than him ever being the Warren Sapp type 3-technique he was hyped to be. But then what are you gonna do with Tank Tyler? Sad as it may be, at this point Tank Tylers play at the 3 technique is the strength of this defensive front 7.

Alphaman
12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Meh....I don't want Cassell, his success is a product of the Pats system, not of his talent. We could find someone I'm sure a lot better IMO. I don't see a killer D out there in Cleveland right now so no to Crennell.

I'm not big on spending $$$ on Cassell either, but if we get Pioli and then he hires McDaniel, you can go ahead and pencil Cassell in as QB. McDaniel will want a QB he already has trust and rapport with.

KCrockaholic

Sounds great to me. But I cant see Crennell coming here, no way he will.

But i like the thought of McDaniel as HC

talastan
Well if we switch to a 3-4 or variation of it, then we would need...

DE
2-3 LB's
NT
S

Anyone think Pollard could step to LB in a 3-4?

KCrockaholic
12-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Well if we switch to a 3-4 or variation of it, then we would need...

DE
2-3 LB's
NT
S

Anyone think Pollard could step to LB in a 3-4?

hmm....if he can pack on about 15 more pounds he could pull it off.

Alphaman
12-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Sounds great to me. But I cant see Crennell coming here, no way he will.

But i like the thought of McDaniel as HC

Crennell will not get another HC job anytime soon. His choices would be to land a TV gig or another DC gig. He doesn't seem to have the personality for a TV gig. He'd probably want to go be a DC for a coach and GM he's familiar with. The NE gig won't be available. If we got Pioli and McDaniel, that would be the next best fit for him.

Chris Meck
12-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm really not sure what all the fuss about the 3-4 is. It's not a magic bullet.

unothadeal
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Could someone explain to me the requirements of a 3-4 defense? Do you want big strong ends or smaller pass rushers? Someone big to clog the middle or a finesse player? Fast coverage linebackers or run stoppers?

BigChiefFan
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Dorsey is an undertackle. We should probably run the 4-3, Man coverage.

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
meh ....... i don't think most GM give a rip about what kind of defense they run. That's up the the Head Coach and Def Coord.

The GM just needs to know WHAT KIND of players he needs to acquire.

BigChiefFan
12-17-2008, 05:06 PM
meh ....... i don't think most GM give a rip about what kind of defense they run. That's up the the Head Coach and Def Coord.

The GM just needs to know WHAT KIND of players he needs to acquire.
I think it would be beneficial to get a GM that is familiar with his head coach selection and has worked within the same scheme that we will be running.

el borracho
12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Could someone explain to me the requirements of a 3-4 defense? Do you want big strong ends or smaller pass rushers? Someone big to clog the middle or a finesse player? Fast coverage linebackers or run stoppers?

Big linemen; the NT should be 330-350 lbs, the ends should be 270-300 lbs. Their job is to take on the line and stop the run- not necessarily rush the QB.

Speedy linebackers. Size isn't as big a deal but tweeners (too big for traditional LB, too small for traditional DE) tend to do well and you need guys that can rush the passer.

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I think it would be beneficial to get a GM that is familiar with his head coach selection and has worked within the same scheme that we will be running.
kinda ....... but then whatcha gonna do if you ever change your head coach? Change your GM too?

head coach wants to run a 3-4 .. fine then the GM goes out and finds players that scheme :shrug:

the key is for our new GM to be able to acknowledge and identify talent and to understand what kinds of players fit what kind of schemes.

then he can work with a bunch of different types of Head Coaches.

unothadeal
12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Big linemen; the NT should be 330-350 lbs, the ends should be 270-300 lbs. Their job is to take on the line and stop the run- not necessarily rush the QB.

Speedy linebackers. Size isn't as big a deal but tweeners (too big for traditional LB, too small for traditional DE) tend to do well and you need guys that can rush the passer.

Thanks. rep!

BigChiefFan
12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
kinda ....... but then whatcha gonna do if you ever change your head coach? Change your GM too?

head coach wants to run a 3-4 .. fine then the GM goes out and finds players that scheme :shrug:

the key is for our new GM to be able to acknowledge and identify talent and to understand what kinds of players fit what kind of schemes.

then he can work with a bunch of different types of Head Coaches.

I agree with that, but wouldn't you agree a person like Pioli is more IN TUNE with 3-4 candidates?

Mr. Laz
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with that, but wouldn't you agree a person like Pioli is more IN TUNE with 3-4 candidates?
initially probably ...

but Pioli played Defensive tackle in college and who knows what scheme that was.

can he identify talent, can he organize a team of scouts to maximize our draft chances ... far more important imo.

ChiefsCountry
12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Or we could go to the Baltimore Ravens where they have played both 4-3 and 3-4 and have had a hell lot better defense and talent than New England.

BigChiefFan
12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Or we could go to the Baltimore Ravens where they have played both 4-3 and 3-4 and have had a hell lot better defense and talent than New England.I agree, The Ravens are my top team to emulate based on their drafts.