PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Offensive Breakdown by Halves

EyePod
12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey guys, I've been working on breaking down the entire season by half. I have graphs for rushing vs passing by half, # of plays and yards per play by half, and finally total offensive yards per half. There's a lot of info, and the graphs are pretty big pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

Graphs to come.

EyePod
12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6586/seasonpassandrushyardsbhf5.jpg

Reerun_KC
Totally sweet EyePod....

This should bring some good much needed debate around here....

EyePod
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1736/seasonoffensiveyardsandlp2.jpg

EyePod
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3664/seasontotaloffensiveyarwi8.jpg

keg in kc
12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
What I'm seeing looks like the graphical representation of several people flipping me the bird.

EyePod
12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1694/seasontypeofoffensiveplct1.jpg

EyePod
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
What I'm seeing looks like the graphical representation of several people flipping me the bird.

Hahaha, I know. It's a lot of information.... I haven't even really gotten to look at it. I've just put it together. Now comes the contemplation.... don't worry if you smell smoke ;)

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Its pretty telling that our number of plays go down dramatically in the 2nd half....

EyePod
12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Its pretty telling that our number of plays go down dramatically in the 2nd half....

Actually, it looks like that's true for the last two games, but the 4 games before that (@SD, NO, BUF, @OAK) all seem to have more plays in the 2nd half.

And check out the freaking @SD game. We were up by a TD at the half, but instead of doing a balance offense, we decided to throw 26 times and rush 6! WTF?

I find it amusing that you can tell we were up in that @OAK game just by how many times we rushed it in the 2nd half. Maybe we learned from our mistake during the @SD game?

King_Chief_Fan
12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, I've been working on breaking down the entire season by half. I have graphs for rushing vs passing by half, # of plays and yards per play by half, and finally total offensive yards per half. There's a lot of info, and the graphs are pretty big pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

Graphs to come.
Excellent EyePod-
SensibleChiefFan (oxymoron) will be along fairly soon to let you know that the change is a result of the other team being better and changing their game plan in the second half to stop the Chiefs and therefore is not the fault of Chiefs game plan calling or coaching. Of course he fails to recognize that Coaches often figure out that the opposing team will change their plan to stop you and Herm does nothing to anticipate that.
Long winded way of me saying that you have provided more than enough proof that the coaching staff heads need to roll. Thanks

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Actually, it looks like that's true for the last two games, but the 4 games before that (@SD, NO, BUF, @OAK) all seem to have more plays in the 2nd half.

And check out the freaking @SD game. We were up by a TD at the half, but instead of doing a balance offense, we decided to throw 26 times and rush 6! WTF?

I find it amusing that you can tell we were up in that @OAK game just by how many times we rushed it in the 2nd half. Maybe we learned from our mistake during the @SD game?

K will have to go back and look at the average yard gained per half/plays for the season....

PhillyChiefFan
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Excellent EyePod-
SensibleChiefFan (oxymoron) will be along fairly soon to let you know that the change is a result of the other team being better and changing their game plan in the second half to stop the Chiefs and therefore is not the fault of Chiefs game plan calling or coaching.

Halarity shall ensue

PhillyChiefFan
12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Obviously its not the coach's fault! I mean come on, everyone knows that:

1. When you are up by 11, and pinned deep in your own territory you pass the f*cking ball. Making sure that when the drive stales you give PLENTY of time to the opposing QB to destroy you.
2. When you are leading but its close and you have a 2-11 record, you punt it on 4th & inches.
3. When you do have the lead, do not give more than 5 carries to your pro bowl runningback. Save him for the potential OT, after blowing said lead.

The players just need to execute. Herm "the Buschucker" Edwards plays to win the game.

(is the sarcasm loud enough?) :D

King_Chief_Fan
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM

1. When you are up by 11, and pinned deep in your own territory you pass the f*cking ball. Making sure that when the drive stales you give PLENTY of time to the opposing QB to destroy you.
2. When you are leading but its close and you have a 2-11 record, you punt it on 4th & inches.
3. When you do have the lead, do not give more than 5 carries to your pro bowl runningback. Save him for the potential OT, after blowing said lead.

The players just need to execute. Herm "the Buschucker" Edwards plays to win the game.

:clap:
sensiblechiefsfan will not see the humor in that at all

EyePod
12-18-2008, 12:26 PM

I really think that Herm freaking comandeers Chan's headset during important parts of games. Imagine Herm practicing Chan's voice in the mirror... hahahah....

PhillyChiefFan
12-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I really think that Herm freaking comandeers Chan's headset during important parts of games. Imagine Herm practicing Chan's voice in the mirror... hahahah....

haha

"Ok guys we got the lead, 2nd stringers...tally ho"

kc rush
12-18-2008, 01:06 PM
If you could overlay the points per half over some of those charts, it might be even more telling.

Extra Point
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Dink-And-Dunk and LJ up-de-badonkadonk in the second half don't work, when the defense doesn't work.

EyePod
12-18-2008, 01:33 PM
If you could overlay the points per half over some of those charts, it might be even more telling.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1636/seasonoffensiveplaysvspgx5.jpg

The worst part is that I thought there'd be a huge discrepancy between halves... but here's the average by half:

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 242pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="323"><col style="width: 98pt;" width="131"> <col style="width: 144pt;" width="192"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="border-style: none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color rgb(149, 179, 215); border-width: medium medium 0.5pt; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; height: 15pt; width: 98pt; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="131" height="20"> </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color rgb(149, 179, 215); border-width: medium medium 0.5pt; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 144pt; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="192">Average Points per Half</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">1st</td> <td class="xl66" align="right">10.1</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">2nd</td> <td class="xl66" align="right">8.0</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(149, 179, 215) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0.5pt medium medium; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; height: 15pt; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" height="20">Overall Average</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(149, 179, 215) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0.5pt medium medium; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" align="right">9.1</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

That's still a worse 2nd half, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Still, 2 extra points in the 2nd half would have won us at least 3 games (both SD games and TB...). I'd be much happier if we had 5 wins right now (although that might mean that Carl came back... so maybe not).

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a good feeling True fans will avoid this damning evidence and put this thread on ignore...

CoMoChief
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
somebody's got waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. good lord.

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Some have to find ways to enjoy the season... Not like they have given us much to root for?

EyePod
12-18-2008, 02:32 PM

hahaha, I'm on break now, and I need something to occupy me!

CoMoChief
12-18-2008, 02:37 PM
COOL!!! Think I'll go make up a spreadsheet of my killings per game on Call of Duty 4, and make reference to what guns I use on certain maps!!!!!

FUN!!!!!!!

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 02:39 PM
COOL!!! Think I'll go make up a spreadsheet of my killings per game on Call of Duty 4, and make reference to what guns I use on certain maps!!!!!

FUN!!!!!!!

Your killing the thread with gheyness....:thumb:

EyePod
12-18-2008, 04:05 PM

FUN!!!!!!!

Is your K/D ratio 2/12? If it is, then you need to start doing something else. Maybe you should fire your GM/President/Sleezeball/CEO (Is that all he was?)

bowener
12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1636/seasonoffensiveplaysvspgx5.jpg

The worst part is that I thought there'd be a huge discrepancy between halves... but here's the average by half:

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 242pt;" width="323" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 98pt;" width="131"> <col style="width: 144pt;" width="192"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="border-style: none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color rgb(149, 179, 215); border-width: medium medium 0.5pt; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; height: 15pt; width: 98pt; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="131" height="20"> </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color rgb(149, 179, 215); border-width: medium medium 0.5pt; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 144pt; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="192">Average Points per Half</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">1st</td> <td class="xl66" align="right">10.1</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">2nd</td> <td class="xl66" align="right">8.0</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(149, 179, 215) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0.5pt medium medium; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; height: 15pt; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" height="20">Overall Average</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(149, 179, 215) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0.5pt medium medium; background: rgb(219, 229, 241) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-weight: 700; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" align="right">9.1</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

That's still a worse 2nd half, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Still, 2 extra points in the 2nd half would have won us at least 3 games (both SD games and TB...). I'd be much happier if we had 5 wins right now (although that might mean that Carl came back... so maybe not).

I see ZERO'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Lots of 'em.

Boris The Great
12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
SensibleChiefFan (oxymoron) will be along fairly soon to let you know that the change is a result of the other team being better and changing their game plan in the second half to stop the Chiefs and therefore is not the fault of Chiefs game plan calling or coaching. Of course he fails to recognize that Coaches often figure out that the opposing team will change their plan to stop you and Herm does nothing to anticipate that.

Obviously its not the coachs fault! I mean come on, everyone knows that:

The players just need to execute. Herm the Buschucker Edwards plays to win the game.

Just so you guys know: the Chiefs have an offensive coordinator. He designs the offense and calls the plays. His name is Chan Gailey. Judging by the posts I quoted, you dont seem aware of that, since you never once mentioned his name. So I just thought I would point it out.

Seriously, the only thing either of you mentioned that you can actually pin on Herm are the decisions on when to punt. Do you seriously think Herm is the one having them pass the ball all the time, leaving so much time on the clock? Do you think Herm is the one deciding not to give LJ the ball? Are you at all familiar with Herm Edwards and his philosophy of football?

Ignoring the passing game, throwing when it makes no sense, and poor halftime adjustments would be the responsibility of the offensive coordinator. This should be especially obvious when 2 of those things I just mentioned are well-known to be the opposite of how Herm prefers to run an offense.

Just FYI.

EyePod
12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Just so you guys know: the Chiefs have an offensive coordinator. He designs the offense and calls the plays. His name is Chan Gailey. Judging by the posts I quoted, you dont seem aware of that, since you never once mentioned his name. So I just thought I would point it out.

Seriously, the only thing either of you mentioned that you can actually pin on Herm are the decisions on when to punt. Do you seriously think Herm is the one having them pass the ball all the time, leaving so much time on the clock? Do you think Herm is the one deciding not to give LJ the ball? Are you at all familiar with Herm Edwards and his philosophy of football?

Ignoring the passing game, throwing when it makes no sense, and poor halftime adjustments would be the responsibility of the offensive coordinator. This should be especially obvious when 2 of those things I just mentioned are well-known to be the opposite of how Herm prefers to run an offense.

Just FYI.

The only thing is that Herm has publicly embraced this spread offense. I agree that Chan might be at fault, but I think our defense if fucking terrible and Chan knows he won't get any help from then. He's trying to make up for our terrible D by forcing some stuff on offense...

milkman
12-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I haven't looked at these graphs all that closely, but one thing I take from them is that they seem to support my claim that theChiefs take a more conservative approach in the passing game in the second half.

They are not passing to attack defenses.
They are passing in an attempt to move the chains, work the clock and protect a lead.