PDA

View Full Version : Misc Do you get paid for unworked snow days?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I never have. Not until right now. We got a few inches of snow here in the Seattle area and the roads are shit. Everybody has shut down. Got a call this morning that the office is closed for the rest of the week. 3 four day weekends in a row, woot!!! All paid. No loss of vacation or sick time, just paid for not working.

Do you get paid when you don't go to work if the office closes down? Or does the office even close down considering that you guys have 3 months of this shit in the midwest every year rather than the 3 weeks we get once a decade?

luv
I do, but I'm salaried.

The Franchise
We got paid when there was a bomb threat and we got sent home at 9 am.

But to answer your question....it doesn't snow here.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-18-2008, 01:33 PM

LMAO You work for the government, a law office, or a collection agency?

Sure-Oz
12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Ive never missed work due to snow, id have to call in sick and use PTO if i wanted that. Generally we aren't pussies and never close ;)

But we can leave 2 hours early

The Franchise
12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
LMAO You work for the government, a law office, or a collection agency?

Government.....right across the street from the court building. :thumb:

DaFace
12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
That rarely happens around here - we know how to deal with the snow. When it becomes a problem, though, people just work from home.

Stewie
It's only happened twice where I work, and yes, I got paid. Once was weather related and the other was a power outage.

Iowanian
I'm self employed. I only get paid when I deliver projects, complete contracts or get hourly billable work.

Short answer. no.

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
What's a snow day?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Ive never missed work due to snow, id have to call in sick and use PTO if i wanted that. Generally we aren't pussies and never close ;)

But we can leave 2 hours early

I agree with you. As a former business owner this is terrible. I'd be at work right now making my company money had they been open. I know I'm not the only one that would've got up and went to work in the snow. Hell, my wife did. And she hates this shit. Get over it, it happens, it's called life. That said, I'm not complainin. ;)

Donger
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I haven't had a "snow day" since school days.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks to my contract I get paid for everything... and sometimes nothing.

crazycoffey
12-18-2008, 01:40 PM
ROFL LMAO:LOL:

:hmmm:

:huh:

:deevee:

Bugeater
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Hell no.

Iowanian
12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Now that I'm home from 150 mile round trip and morning meetings....Unless the ice cuts the power, I'll be working quite a while yet tonight.

There is always that bonus prize...

Sure-Oz
12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
That rarely happens around here - we know how to deal with the snow. When it becomes a problem, though, people just work from home.

They stopped doing that at my gf's company cause too many fuckers kept abusing it.

Buck
12-18-2008, 01:52 PM
What's a snow day?

What is snow?

lazepoo
12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I've come in pretty late several times due to snow, but never had a full day of work canceled from snowfall. I really don't know anyone that isn't a teacher that has had a snow day since getting a full-time job.

Frosty
12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
At my old job, I had the boss call in and tell me not to come in because there was heavy freezing rain (I lived in a different town). I think I got paid for that day.

Now, even though I live in NE Washington, I work for a company based in northern Minnesota. Let's just say I don't get much sympathy when it comes to winter. LMAO

Frosty
12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Let's just say I don't get much sympathy when it comes to winter. LMAO

Speaking of which, I get to look forward to doing this when I go home, as we have had close to a foot of snow last night and today. :shake:

The Bad Guy
12-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm a teacher, so snow days are the greatest gift we have. Fully paid.

MikeMaslowski
12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
In the Army we are paid no matter what....... I pray for snow days and to get pink eye, cuz its like fug it, im getting paid and i don't have do deal with all the b.s. I am actually on 3 days of quarters (stay at home) and getting paid. Ahh, good ole uncle sam.

Frazod
12-18-2008, 03:03 PM
We're supposed to get pounded tonight, with the worst coming in the pre-dawn hours. Could be a foot or more in my area.

However, it takes a lot to shut down Chicago. I think that's happened once, about 10 years ago. We're used to it, and for the most part it's very flat up here, which helps as well.

Even if the schools shut down, I doubt if the office will.

PhillyChiefFan
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Government.....right across the street from the court building. :thumb:

me too!

PhillyChiefFan
12-18-2008, 03:07 PM

I kid you not, we got sent home for a bomb threat, that turned out to be a guy's lunchbox that he left outside after smoking a cigarette.

PhillyChiefFan
12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
What is snow?

**** you!

:D

HemiEd
12-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Snow is an industry up here, I don't want to ever see the amount it would take to close it down.

Frazod
12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Snow is an industry up here, I don't want to ever see the amount it would take to close it down.

Still, it'll be an adventure getting to work tomorrow morning. :banghead:

HemiEd
12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Still, it'll be an adventure getting to work tomorrow morning. :banghead:

I bet it will for you! I feel for you.

But somehow, I will manage that .7 mile trek I have to make. :D

Did I tell you I put Blizzak snow tires on the new Challenger? It gets around like a 4wd!

Frazod
12-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I bet it will for you! I feel for you.

But somehow, I will manage that .7 mile trek I have to make. :D

Did I tell you I put Blizzak snow tires on the new Challenger? It gets around like a 4wd!

Sweet.

Yeah, I'll be doing a good bit of slogging through the snow tomorrow. I'm sure it will suck ass. :grr:

HemiEd
12-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Sweet.

Yeah, I'll be doing a good bit of slogging through the snow tomorrow. I'm sure it will suck ass. :grr:

I spent over an hour snow blowing this morning, doing both ours and my widow neighbors driveways and walks. The crap was pretty heavy, since it is so close to thaw temp. That stuff earlier in the week was easy, since it was about 6 degrees outside.

Hopefully your commute wasn't too bad, and you have the benifit of someone else cleaning up your snow, right?

seclark
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
no, but i get 5weeks vacation, so if it's too shitty i just take one of those. i usually come in an hour early(ot) to help the maintenance guys clear the snow/ice off the parking lots. unfortunately, this morning i slipped on some ice and now my groin and right hammy are killing me. i must be getting too old for this crap.
sec

1ChiefsDan
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
That rarely happens around here - we know how to deal with the snow. When it becomes a problem, though, people just work from home.This

Frazod
12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
I spent over an hour snow blowing this morning, doing both ours and my widow neighbors driveways and walks. The crap was pretty heavy, since it is so close to thaw temp. That stuff earier in the week was easy, since it was about 6 degrees outside.

Hopefully your commute wasn't too bad, and you have the benifit of someone else cleaning up your snow, right?

There was mayhem on my train line, but personally I didn't have any trouble (other than being about half an hour late for work). The storm wasn't nearly as bad as predicted, at least by me. The roads were in pretty good shape. I live in a condo, so I don't have to worry about snow removal.

Garcia Bronco
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
In Virginia, if the Business closed down because of any reason they still HAD to pay you.