PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on Christmas gifts?

DaFace
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM
My wife and I realized that, now that our families are combined, we're buying Christmas gifts for 20 different people, not including ourselves. I love giving gifts and all, but it adds up quick when you're buying for that many people. So, I'm curious...

How much do you spend on Christmas gifts outside of your immediate family (excluding spouses and children)?

Sully
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
If this is one last attempt to get me to buy you a fleshlight, it's not going to work.

Bugeater
12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't buy Christmas gifts for adults other than my wife, nor do I expect other adults to buy me gifts. When you combine families you need to draw the line somewhere or it gets out of control. As far as the kids, nieces (1) and nephews (3) get a $20-25 gift.

seclark
12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
couldn't tell you...i only buy for the wife, and she pick that out. she buys everything else and i don't even want to know what she spends.

i'm just around for paying bills and breeding purposes.
sec

luv
12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I put $1-99. I spent more on my nieces and nephew, but I included them as part of my immediate family since I don't have kids. Outside of my parents, nieces , and nephew, I just have a couple of friends I buy for.

DaFace
12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't buy Christmas gifts for adults other than my wife, nor do I expect other adults to buy me gifts. When you combine families you need to draw the line somewhere or it gets out of control. As far as the kids, nieces (1) and nephews (3) get a $20-25 gift.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking for next year. My wife and I have been talking about it, and the problem is that none of our siblings have in-laws to speak of. They're all married, but parents are mostly out of the picture for a variety of reasons. So, it's no big deal for them to buy for us, but it's becoming a big deal for us to buy for them.

I think we're in the $500 to $599 range this year. Considering that we also do b-day presents for most of them, that means we've basically got a $100 per month "gift charge." That's gonna have to end. :shake:

Bugeater
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking for next year. My wife and I have been talking about it, and the problem is that none of our siblings have in-laws to speak of. They're all married, but parents are mostly out of the picture for a variety of reasons. So, it's no big deal for them to buy for us, but it's becoming a big deal for us to buy for them.

I think we're in the $500 to $599 range this year. Considering that we also do b-day presents for most of them, that means we've basically got a $100 per month "gift charge." That's gonna have to end. :shake:

Not only does the cost become an issue, so does spending all the time shopping and trying to figure out what to get them. I have no idea what either of my brothers or their wives would want or need, and chances are whatever they wanted or needed they already have, so then you end up giving them something they may/may not want and it will likely end up being a waste of money. I suppose there's always gift cards, but that's kinda stupid too because then I'd just be basically giving them money. You'd be well served to put an end to the madness now.

Donger
12-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks to my wife, we have about 35 nephews and nephewettes, so it adds up rather quickly.

luv
12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks to my wife, we have about 35 nephews and nephewettes, so it adds up rather quickly.

Your wife had your nephews and nieces? :spock:

Donger
12-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Your wife had your nephews and nieces? :spock:

From her side of the family.

Sure-Oz
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
This year much much less maybe $1-200

Money is too tight lately

Sully
12-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I typically buy about 30 baskets full of lotions and soaps.
Then I wait to see what that person got me, run back into my room, and get the basket most closely associated (price-wise) with what they got me.

Rooster
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Nothing this year. I hope it becomes a new tradition.

HemiEd
12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
couldn't tell you...i only buy for the wife, and she pick that out. she buys everything else and i don't even want to know what she spends.

i'm just around for paying bills and breeding purposes.
sec

Mostly this, but I do a little shopping.

Skip Towne
12-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I got off easy. I just bought 10 snuggies.

angelo
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
I spend quite a bit of money on friends, associates and families

Friends could be as much as $300-600
Family $1000 (excluding the wife she is in a class all her own)
Associates $500-$1000
Adopted family/ Charities $500-$800

The line blurs between Friends and Associates

Although I am an Atheist. I love the Holidays. It is a time for me to take care of the ones I love. I try to listen to their needs, wants and desires all year and then I try to provide for them. I have very few friends as I am not easy to be around. So the ones that last are very special to me. They make my life rich so I want for very little. My joy is their happiness.

Ang

BigRedChief
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Over $3K but you take out a $2k custom diamond ring I'm still over the $1K.

talastan
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
About $150-200 generally. We have found ways to help out without necessiarly "buying" a gift, such as homemade coupons for free babysitting for my nephew and niece. My kids generally get about $50-75 each. As for what we buy for adults we generally keep it around $10-20 in a gift card format. I figure when I'm rich someday when I retire I hope to be able to splurge at that point in my life.

DaFace
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Over $3K but you take out a $2k custom diamond ring I'm still over the $1K.

Either you didn't read the rules, or I'm telling your wife you bought a $2k custom diamond ring for another woman.

seclark
12-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Mostly this, but I do a little shopping.

made me think...i took the grandson(2yrs) out a couple weeks ago to a western store and bought him a pair of boots.

then last weekend, i took his older sister(3yrs) to the same place and bought her a pair. then my wife and daughter-in-law decided scotland's boots weren't girly looking enough for her, so they're going to take them back and exchange them.:rolleyes:

which is why i don't shop for shit.
sec

BigRedChief
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Either you didn't read the rules, or I'm telling your wife you bought a $2k custom diamond ring for another woman.
ahhh crap busted ROFL

You would think it would be a great thing to win a 1/2 carat diamond at a fundraiser wouldn't ya. But then you have to get that diamond made into a ring. And that ain't cheap.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Including family I don't spend ANYTHING on Christmas.

BigRedChief
12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Including family I don't spend ANYTHING on Christmas.
Scrooge :)

The Franchise
12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Including the fiance's family and my family......between $200-$299.

Immediate family......too fucking much.

Dartgod
12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
We do something similar. On both sides, the adults draw names (excluding our parents) to exchange gifts. On my wifes side, 18 is the age that the kids go into the adult drawing. On my side, they decided the age should be 25. :rolleyes:

DaFace
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
We do something similar. On both sides, the adults draw names (excluding our parents) to exchange gifts. On my wifes side, 18 is the age that the kids go into the adult drawing. On my side, they decided the age should be 25. :rolleyes:

My wife is currently only 24. It would be very bizarre for her to be considered one of the kids.

DeezNutz
12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
My wife is currently only 24. It would be very bizarre for her to be considered one of the kids.

You're sick, dude. :D

Iowanian
12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Outside of immediate family, we spend more on people we don't know than people we do.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Scrooge :)

Bah Humbug!!!!

MahiMike
12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
$1000 budget includes trip to Orlando.