PDA

View Full Version : Football In the QB debate, we need to define some terms

milkman
12-21-2008, 08:19 AM
There have been some rather heated debates here on QBs and how they are perceived.

I think we need to define some common terms that describe the QB position.

Let's have a discussion and see if we can come to an agreement on a couple of these descriptors.

Franchise QB.
Game Manager.
Quarterback of the Future.
Scrub.

I'll start.

Franchise QB
Simply stated, he is clear leader of your team, a guy that the troops rally around, that makes plays in the clutch.

Game Manager
He's a guy that orchestrates the offense.
But this is we get into a grey area, because an exceptional game manager can also be a franchise QB.
A poor game manager can also be a scrub.

Scrub
A guy who is just manning the position until a better option can be found.

Quarterback of the future
A young gun who has the potential to be a franchise QB.

Those are just starting points.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Franchise QB

Manning Brothers, Matt Ryan

Game Manager
Kerry Collins

Scrub

Tyler Thigpen

Not sure....Matt Cassell?

milkman
12-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Franchise QB

Manning Brothers, Matt Ryan

Game Manager
Kerry Collins

Scrub

Tyler Thigpen

Not sure....Matt Cassell?

You're naming names.

I'd like to get what you think defines these terms.

mylittlepony
12-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Franchise QB, its the guy who leads your team for the next 3-7 years. There are good and bad franchise QBs but once the call is made you have to stick with it for a period of time. A bad one is sort of like what Jamarcus Russel is to oakland. He might not be any good but he is the Franchise QB and they will have to try to make him work next 2 years. A better one is what Jay Cutler is to Denver.

Game Manager, a quarterback that isnt the cornerstone of your offense. A good one will make 3rd downs and get some shots to air it out on first down. His main task is reading the defense and keep it honest by throwing the deep ball every once in a while. But he is not the guy you can give the ball to and tell to win the game. His main traits are strong leadership, good at 3rd down, strong arm and wont turn the ball over. His job is to execute a strategy that doesnt have him as the centerpiece. For example Ben Rothlisberger is on a Defense first, run oriented team. He gets a limited amount of calls to air the ball out.

Scrub is someone who needs to be replaced at first possible time.

QBOTF, a young guy who the team hasnt spent enough money on to be a franchise QB but has the potential of becoming one once his first contract runs out.

My 2c

FringeNC
12-21-2008, 08:59 AM
How can you separate a QB from the coaching, system, and talent around him.

For example, was Trent Green not a franchise QB over the 2002-2005 seasons?

Extra Point
12-21-2008, 09:04 AM
One of the funniest phrases is: "(QB's name here) engineered that drive." So very few, except the Manning brothers, get that kind of leeway, as the plays by most teams are radioed in by the OC.

Thigpen really a scrub?

Franchise QB: Favre, carrying the mantle over from GB, instantly. Mannings, Romo, McNabb, Rivers, Big Ben. The press does more appointing in this category than the fans.

Scrubs: Any QBs get thrown in this category, due to shitty blocking or bad route runners. Russell, Thiggy, Bolger, Dorsey

FQB/Game Mgr/QBOTFs: Flacco, Ryan, Cutler

Does Warner fit the FQB/GM category, or is he in category E: "Where the Hell did he Come From?" Cassell?

Or category F: "Mr. Inconsistency:" A guy who does great/bad depending on things? Garrard

In which would Jeff Garcia fit, game manager for FQB?

A QB's status changes week-by-week, in a lot of cases. Don't know that it's fair to throw a veteran back-up in the Scrub category.

Baby Lee
12-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Apparently Game Manager means I lurve Marty, Cowher, pray for 8-8, fellate kickers, beat my meat to swing passes, and aspire to be 'close' in the 4th quarter.

milkman
12-21-2008, 09:09 AM
How can you separate a QB from the coaching, system, and talent around him.

For example, was Trent Green not a franchise QB over the 2002-2005 seasons?

I would say that Trent Green was a very good game manager, but he's not a guy that I would call a franchise QB.

Was he the clear leader of the Chiefs?
I didn't think so.
In many ways, Dick's Chiefs were rudderless.

But I think that a system QB can also be a franchise QB.

I think that Joe Montana was a system QB, but there isn't any question that he was a franchise QB.

milkman
12-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Apparently Game Manager means I lurve Marty, Cowher, pray for 8-8, fellate kickers, beat my meat to swing passes, and aspire to be 'close' in the 4th quarter.

It's that debate that motivated this thread.

I would agree that Aikman was a game manager.
An exceptional game manager, who also falls into the ccategory of franchise QB.

tmax63
12-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I think that franchise qb's are determined after a large volume of work. Favre and Peyton Manning come to mind.
I think most of the qb's out there today are game managers. The difference between a good one and a bad one is the players around him. Eli and Big Ben are examples of good ones. Cutler has been both a good and bad manager for the Broncos. He has carried them to victories but also gave away games with picks.
QOTF are guys who have shown potential but the jury is still out. The old incomplete grade. Every qb drafted is a QOTF until he gets enough time/snaps in to move into a gm role or becomes a backup/scrub.