PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nick throws Gailey under the bus again, + Pennington love affair

Hammock Parties
12-21-2008, 11:05 PM
I'd love to see Pennington running the spread. ROFL

http://kan.scout.com/2/823698.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">The 30,000 fans that showed up in the bitter cold at Arrowhead Sunday were treated to one of the most entertaining games of the Herm Edwards era. Despite trailing 10-0 early, the Chiefs battled through long odds and another week of team distractions before leaving it all out on the field in a loss.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
To his credit, Head Coach Herm Edwards, who remains on the hot seat, had his troops ready to play Sunday. In warm-ups you could sense an energy that was missing in other games at Arrowhead this season. Questionable play-calling in the third and early stages of the fourth quarter had much to do with the outcome of Sunday’s game, but the Chiefs have nothing to be embarrassed about over their effort level.

In the fourth quarter it came down to the skills of Miami quarterback Chad Pennington (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3892731). In a tight game, with their playoff destiny in their hands, Pennington knew exactly what to do in a close game.

He matriculated the ball down the field, burning nearly nine minutes off the clock. Facing a critical third and five, he hit tight end Anthony Fasano (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3723128), who dragged four Chiefs players on his back into the end zone to give Miami a 38-31 lead with four minutes left.

In response, Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey could not muster up the plays to tie the game. Facing a critical fourth and one, instead of giving the ball to Larry Johnson, who was over the century mark at that point, he called for a bootleg that backfired as Tyler Thigpen was sacked for a six yard loss.

The ending wasn’t fitting for Thigpen, who threw for a career-high 320 yards with three total touchdowns. But he faltered in the second half, when too often his long passes fluttered off target down the field.

Given a chance to redeem himself after Ricky Williams (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3642706)’ fumble, Thigpen threw two incompletions, was sacked, and on fourth down threw an interception that sealed the victory for Miami.

Again, the big issue for this football team was the inability to adjust their offensive game plan from the first to the second half. That again falls on Gailey, who’s offense has failed to deliver enough second-half points time and again, leading directly to the Chiefs losing eight games by seven points or less.

We have to wonder if Gailey is the answer in 2009. Good offensive coordinators adjust their game plans from quarter to quarter or half to half, and he’s failed at getting that done in each of these close losses.

It’s unfair to blame Gailey completely when teams can run up and down the field on KC’s defense, and there’s been a lot of talk about whether or not the Chiefs’ players have that killer instinct to finish out games, but when the offense disappears in the second half, you have to wonder about the play-calling. To me, Gailey has no feel for the ebb and flow of a game.

Today’s loss didn’t answer any questions about Herm Edwards, but it helps that to a man in the Chiefs’ locker room, the players hope he’s their head coach in 2009.

If there is a positive right now, it’s that if the season ended today the Chiefs would have the third overall pick. At this point we take our silver linings where we can get them.

Four to Remember:

RB Larry Johnson
Herm Edwards made an interesting statement after the game that his football team is no longer a running team. So despite the fact LJ ran for over 100 yards and scored a touchdown, my take is that he won’t be on this team in 2009 no matter who the GM or head coach might be. Though he’s improving as a pass blocker since his return from suspension, he’s not a fit in this offense now or in the future.

LB Derrick Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698860)
Today he grew up in this defense as a middle linebacker. For the first time since the switch, he was making plays all over the field. On consecutive plays in the second quarter, he delivered big time blows for virtually no gain. Though I’d still like to see him blitz more, he and fellow linebacker DeMorrio Williams could make a nice tandem next year.

S Jarrad Page (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698868)
He had another great game and has probably been the defensive MVP this season. With his fourth interception, a career high, and seven more tackles he might be the only player on defense that KC’s new General Manager locks down long term. He’ll be a restricted free agent in 2009 but the strength of this defense right now is in the secondary. Last week he was upset about the big catch in the Chargers come from behind victory but he came back and played his heart out. The Chiefs need to wrap him up well before the start of free agency.

QB Chad Pennington
I could only imagine what the Chiefs record would be right now if they had guaranteed Pennington the starter’s spot at quarterback when he became a free agent in August. Hands down he’s been the glue and the missing piece to the Dolphins’ offense in 2008. Without him at the helm, they might not be playing for the AFC East title next Sunday in New York against the Jets. It’s no slight to Thigpen, but if Pennington had been the Chiefs’ quarterback to begin the season, they’d have won the AFC West. Edwards wanted to sign Pennington but others on KC’s coaching staff felt it would disrupt the growth of Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698850). In retrospect, Edwards probably should have gone with his instincts and grabbed Pennington.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

unothadeal
12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Chad for MVP!

FringeNC
12-21-2008, 11:07 PM
... if Pennington had been the Chiefs’ quarterback to begin the season, they’d have won the AFC West.

Did he actually write that?

chiefbowe82
12-21-2008, 11:08 PM
has page played well? from what i hear our safetys suck and page can't tackle-thought?

Coach
12-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Yes, let's throw our offensive coordinator under the bus when the Chiefs scored more than 30 points, yet he's not throwing the defensive coordinator under the bus for fielding a terrible defense.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
has page played well? from what i hear our safetys suck and page can't tackle-thought?

Both the safeties have played better recently. Even Pollard.

I agree with him about Page. His coverage skills continue to be outstanding. I don't think you can ignore the number of interceptions he's racked up since coming into the league. He's a solid player.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Awesome Bus-Chuckery!

Chief77
Who is Brodie Croyle?

Reerun_KC
12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
... if Pennington had been the Chiefs’ quarterback to begin the season, they’d have won the AFC West.

No we wouldnt.. Pennington is about as fragile as Brokie Croyle... Herm would of burried him in game 5... He's done it before, I am sure he wouldnt be afraid to do it again...

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Who is Brodie Croyle?

He's a social worker down south I hear.

Extra Point
12-21-2008, 11:13 PM
"It’s unfair to blame Gailey completely when teams can run up and down the field on KC’s defense, so I'll fill the rest of this article with shit you may want to read."

Mecca
12-21-2008, 11:15 PM
The offense it is what it is, a way to try to score points without having talent so the Chiefs could be in games.

The reason it falters out is because it's inconsistent because this team lacks talent....it's ok for now so they don't get blown out but when they do have talent they need to be more traditional.

beavis
12-21-2008, 11:17 PM

Last shread of credibility. /flush

Reerun_KC
12-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes, let's throw our offensive coordinator under the bus when the Chiefs scored more than 30 points, yet he's not throwing the defensive coordinator under the bus for fielding a terrible defense.

Herm is responsible for this abortion of a defense. His fucking mouth said so when he was hired!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
The Chiefs would've won the West with Chad Pennington at QB? Really?

Reerun_KC
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Uh Yeah, where have you been... We would of flustrated the whole freaking division!

chiefsfan4life1978
I don't see how one can say that Larry Johnson doesn't fit into this offense. IMO he's been more effective in this new offense.

triple

True Fan Syndrome - always thinking the team is 1 or 2 key players away

in this case, a cherished 8 or 9 win season

Mecca
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't see how one can say that Larry Johnson doesn't fit into this offense. IMO he's been more effective in this new offense.

Because the run is used as a occasional play, you could never just pound the ball in it...his numbers are actually up and down in it, they were up today which was the first time since the Buffalo game.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Herm is responsible for this abortion of a defense. His fucking mouth said so when he was hired!

CRACK!!!

"And it's going...going...GONE"! "ReerunKC has done it; it's a HOME RUN"!ROFL

Hammock Parties

Logic as follows:

Pennington > Thigpen

Chiefs lose two games by one point to Chargers
Chiefs lose one game by seven points to Broncos

Pennington reverses outcomes! Chiefs sit at 5 wins, Chargers sit at 5 wins, Broncos sit at 7 wins.

Throw in potential wins over Oakland, Tampa Bay, New York or New England. Pick Two. Chiefs sit at 7 wins, beat Cincinnati next week, own tiebreaker over Donks.

VOILA!

Hammock Parties

Nick has been hating LJ for years now. He's biased.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Logic as follows:

Pennington > Thigpen

Chiefs lose two games by one point to Chargers
Chiefs lose one game by seven points to Broncos

Pennington reverses outcomes! Chiefs sit at 5 wins, Chargers sit at 5 wins, Broncos sit at 7 wins.

Throw in potential wins over Oakland, Tampa Bay, New York or New England. Pick Two. Chiefs sit at 7 wins, beat Cincinnati next week, own tiebreaker over Donks.

VOILA!

Now that's some AWESOME logic! :rolleyes:

We hate Nick!

Reerun_KC
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Nick has been hating LJ for years now. He's biased.

Kind of like the love affair you have had with LJ?

kcxiv
12-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Who would have thought that Pennington to the Dolphins might win them the AFC east? They have a serious shot to do that.

Basileus777
Pennington has had a hell of a season; but yeah, he wouldn't have done shit with this team. It's the Jets who should have kept him. Poor sods; trading a third round pick for a washed up Favre when you already had a better qb on your roster.

chiefsfan4life1978
Because the run is used as a occasional play, you could never just pound the ball in it...his numbers are actually up and down in it, they were up today which was the first time since the Buffalo game.

I thought I saw somewhere that his Yards Per Carry had gone up lately which is mainly what I based my opinion on.

kcxiv
12-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Thigpen despite him making dumb plays at times is the only reason we are this close in games to begin with. I dont know if Chad would do good in this offense becuase if he was back there, there would be no way in hell we could run the spread. He may have gotten beat up. Chad just went to a team that was suited for him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Who would have thought that Pennington to the Dolphins might win them the AFC east? They have a serious shot to do that.

They've got a hell of a lot more than Pennington personnel-wise, and an Owner who is not afraid to drop some$$$$ in the "Consulting Department".

kcxiv
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
They've got a hell of a lot more than Pennington personnel-wise, and an Owner who is not afraid to drop some$$$$ in the "Consulting Department".

Hopefully they do the same here in KC. I think we got some nice parts on this team, but my god this Dline has to be fixed. I wonder how or what they are goign to do. I just pray Herm is outta here.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Hopefully they do the same here in KC. I think we got some nice parts on this team, but my god this Dline has to be fixed. I wonder how or what they are goign to do. I just pray Herm is outta here.

"Scorch The Earth"; it's not just a Military phrase anymore.

Hopefully.

Reerun_KC
12-21-2008, 11:37 PM

This is going to be a great offseason watching a New GM and HC put together a new team..

Like I said earlier in the thread, I can see 1/3 or more of this roster being turned over...

kcchiefsus
12-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Saying Larry Johnson won't be here next year because this is no longer a running team is bullshit. It doesn't matter who is the coach and GM next year? Uh, yeah it does. A new coach will likely install a more traditional offense again which very well could be another run heavy offense (and no, run heavy does not mean RRPP).

ClevelandBronco
12-22-2008, 12:54 AM
...He matriculated the ball down the field...

Strammgle yourself.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Saying Larry Johnson won't be here next year because this is no longer a running team is bullshit. It doesn't matter who is the coach and GM next year? Uh, yeah it does. A new coach will likely install a more traditional offense again which very well could be another run heavy offense (and no, run heavy does not mean RRPP).

The problem, is that we need the tools to run a pro-offense. I believe that will be taken care of in the off season.

But bagging on Gailey is total shit; we've seen that the guy can do the job. I would go so far as to say that it is Gailey and Thigpen who have made these last few games( minus Buffalo )even close.

Herm is the absolute reason for second half disaster; of that there can be NO doubt. Our defense doesn't help much either. I mean for the love of God; Brandon Flowers can't be everywhere at once, though he tries to be and saves the defense's bacon more often than not.
But we need an offensive program that is solid in the run, and unconventional in the pass.
And for the love of God; mixes the two equally.

Gailey can do that with the right crew.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Strammgle yourself.

No shit. I'd like to "matriculate" my foot to his ass.

WHILE he's giving Pennington his hummer.

kc rush
12-22-2008, 03:32 AM
This is going to be a great offseason watching a New GM and HC put together a new team..

Like I said earlier in the thread, I can see 1/3 or more of this roster being turned over...

But that can't be. I've heard Herm say that this team would remain 90-95% intact.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
But that can't be. I've heard Herm say that this team would remain 90-95% intact.

Then it must be the gospel!