PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Great News: No house-cleaning for Detroit

eazyb81
12-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford said two of the organization's top executives will be retained no matter who the new GM is.

This kind of meddling and unwillingness to give a new GM total control is what will help KC land the best available GM candidate this offseason, whether it's Pioli, DeCosta, or someone else.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/12/ford_new_hire_might_not_fill_t.html

Ford: Lewand, Mayhew will stay with Lions
by Tom Kowalski
Sunday December 21, 2008, 3:30 PM

AP File Photo
Tom Lewand, Detroit Lions executive vice president and chief operating officer, walks the sidelines during Detroit's' game against Green Bay Packers earlier this season. Lions owner William Clay Ford said he wants both Martin Mayhew and Lewand to stay with the Lions next season.DETROIT -- Despite the possibility that his team could finish 0-16 this season, Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford made it clear that there will not be a complete house-cleaning in the offseason.

Prior to Sunday's Lions-Saints game, Ford said that he will hire another person to join the team's football operations but that person might not fill the typical general manager role. Ford said the new hire might not have total control over all personnel matters and that those decisions could be done by committee.

"It depends. I don't know about the odds (of hiring a GM with total authority),'' Ford said. "Let's see who's available and what experience they have and see if they fit in any of our slots.''

Ford said that regardless of who he hires, he also wants both Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand to stay with the organization -- possibly in the positions they currently hold.

"I don't want to delineate positions to exactly where 'This is you' and "This is me.' I want to leave some latitude,'' Ford said. "When we get a good person, I want Martin in on that, I want his opinion.''

Ford said the team would begin to interview candidates at the end of the regular season and the process will involve a three-man panel.

"Lewand, Martin and me,'' said Ford, adding he wanted to have some decisions made within three weeks after the end of the season.

When asked if vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. will be involved in the offseason decisions, Ford Sr. said, "I don't know, I think he's got a plate-full right now. It depends on what his availability is.''

Mayhew, who had held the title of assistant general manager, took over as general manager in late September after president Matt Millen was fired. Mayhew has reported directly to Ford since that time.

When asked if he was happy with the job Mayhew has done so far, Ford said, "Oh yeah, very.''

Ford also said that if the Lions decide to go with a general manager who holds total authority over all football decisions, Mayhew will be among the candidates.

If Ford goes that route and Mayhew doesn't get the job, Ford said he still wants Mayhew to stay with the Lions organization.

Lewand is expected to continue in his capacity as the team's chief operating officer and run the team's day-to-day business activities and also have authority over all Ford Field operations.

Ford said he's "talked to some people'' and that the team is still putting together a list of candidates to be interviewed. Ford said he doesn't believe there is one "football genius'' out there who can come in and make all the right decisions independently.

"No. If there is, I haven't met him yet,'' Ford said.

As for coach Rod Marinelli and his job status, Ford said he hasn't made any decisions yet.

"I don't know, I haven't made up my mind. I'm leaving it open,'' Ford said.

When asked about Marinelli's 0-14 record -- and Detroit's losses in 21 of the previous 22 games (prior to Sunday's result) -- Ford repeated: "No, I'm keeping it open.''

If there is a change at head coach, Ford said he doesn't know yet who might spearhead that search, himself or the new GM.

"Both of those (head coach and GM) positions now are a little nebulous so it's hard for me to say the GM will do it or I'll do it because I don't know who's going to fit in what slot,'' said Ford, adding that his goal is to make the right choices that will put the Lions on a winning path.

"I hope when this whole process is over with that we've got an organization that can build a winning team,'' Ford said. "The fans have been great and they deserve winners. We're all frustrated. We want to win, too. I hope this is the end product.''

Deberg_1990
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Ill bet thats going over real well on the Lions message boards.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Ford has absolutely no idea what he's doing. He's been proving it for a long time now. The NFL really needs to strip Detroit of their Thanksgiving day game and give it to an AFC team.

Sure-Oz
12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Wasn't Fords son the reason Millen was fired? Their owner really doesn't give a shit about that franchise or its fans...

Hoover
12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
This is great news for us.

lazepoo
12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Makes me feel sad for Lions fans... imagine having no hope for so long. At least we would show flashes of mediocrity with the possibility of a playoff win, but they;ve had nothing for a long time, and it looks like they're going to continue to suck until the younger Ford gets his chance to steer.

eazyb81
We can all hold hands and thank God that the Fords don't own the Chiefs. They're like David Glass x 10.

the Talking Can
what a dumbass....thank god

the Talking Can
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
We can all hold hands and thank God that the Fords don't own the Chiefs. They're like David Glass x 10.

he basically answered every question by saying, "eh, whatever..."

makes Clark sound like Patton

kstater
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Me thinks Ford is a little jealous of Al Davis' title of dumbest NFL owner.

The Franchise
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
The Lions are the Raiders of the NFC.

The NFL should set up a death match between Ford and Davis.

Amnorix
12-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Stunning. Honestly. Completely stunning.

The Detroit Lions have alot of history in the NFL. It's really a shame that most of it is bad, and that the current ownership seems to show no interest in taking the steps needed to turn that ship around. Lions fans should just find a new team to root for. Honestly.

The Franchise
12-22-2008, 12:20 PM

The Detroit Lions have alot of history in the NFL. It's really a shame that most of it is bad, and that the current ownership seems to show no interest in taking the steps needed to turn that ship around. Lions fans should just find a new team to root for. Honestly.

At this point in time....the Lions fans should boycott the fucking team. How would it look to the owner if all of the season ticket owners cancelled....and no one went to the game. They players all came out on the field....to a completely empty stadium.

12-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Ford has absolutely no idea what he's doing. He's been proving it for a long time now. The NFL really needs to strip Detroit of their Thanksgiving day game and give it to an AFC team.All the Thanksgiving games need to rotate. There is no reason for it to be tied to any one certain team anymore.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 12:23 PM

As fun as that would be I wouldn't want it to happen. I'm too afraid that Al would lose. His track record isn't good when he battles the rest of the NFL. And I want that old, bastard to live to 160.

Sure-Oz
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM

This.

I am just suprised they had a star like Barry Sanders and he retired early cause they didn't give a flying fuck to put a winning team on the field. Calvin Johnson may now be the next Sanders type player to go through the same shit, sad.

mlyonsd
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Other than looking for an opportunity to break into NFL management ranks who in their right mind would want to be the GM of the Lion's?

Chiefnj2
12-22-2008, 12:55 PM
How is this different than what is happening in KC? Wasn't Clark going to split up the GM responsibilities and there is the chance some of the present guys would be in charge of the cap, etc.?

Bowser
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
With the auto industry in the toilet right now, you'd think that the Ford's would do whatever was humanly possible to better their team.

Bowser
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
How is this different than what is happening in KC? Wasn't Clark going to split up the GM responsibilities and there is the chance some of the present guys would be in charge of the cap, etc.?

The way I understand it, Clark isn't against the idea of giving the entire Chiefs organization an enema.

doomy3
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM

Mecca will be along shortly to inform you that the Lions are actually closer to winning than the Chiefs are.

alpha_omega
12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, i guess that proves it could be worse.

kstater
12-22-2008, 03:01 PM

No, Clark wants to split the dual role GM/President. Which is the right thing to do.

munkey
12-22-2008, 03:07 PM
No, Clark wants to split the dual role GM/President. Which is the right thing to do.

Exactly...You can't throw yourself under the bus now can you ;-)

Mojo Jojo
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Since Clark is splitting up the two jobs it will be interesting to see the organizational tree. When most pro teams split the GM/President positions then the GM reports to the President. It is possible that Denny Thum could be the new GM's boss.