PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm Edwards Press Conference - 12/23

Tribal Warfare
12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Herm Edwards Press Conference - 12/23 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/12/23/herm_edwards_press_conference__1223/)
Dec 23, 2008, 4:20:08 PM

HERM EDWARDS: ”(DE Alfonso) Boone is questionable and (CB Maurice) Leggett is questionable. Other than that, everybody got through last week pretty good. Cincinnati obviously lost their quarterback kind of early in the season. They’ve been kind of struggling for a while. (QB Ryan) Fitzpatrick’s now playing quarterback for them. They’ve won their last two games with a strong running attack. Their defense is very, very athletic. They’ve done a good job of taking the ball away the last couple games. They’re playing hard, you can see that. (Bengals coach) Marvin (Lewis) has them playing hard and the quarterback is playing halfway decent for them. They can run the ball very well, they ran the ball, I guess, they only threw nine passes against Cleveland. It was a cold day, similar to ours, so they didn’t throw it a bunch. They got the turnovers and were able to win the game. They’ve won two in a row now, it’ll be a good game for us. They’re kind of where we’re at right now and they’re playing hard, so we anticipate a tough football game in Cincinnati.”

Q: Are you burnt out after this season?

EDWARDS: “Does it look like it? No, no. I don’t know where people get that from. I’ve got a lot of energy and I think the thing that gives me the most energy is these young guys we have. Their ability to recover after a bunch of hard losses, we’ve been in a bunch of football games that we haven’t won this year and I think that will pay dividends with this football team next year. With youth, every time they show up after a hard loss, we go through film with them and they’re optimistic and they’re excited about the next weeks’ opponent. Our coaches witness that through all this and it’s a credit to the players. It really is, how they bounce back after a tough loss every week.”

Q: What has been your biggest test this season?

EDWARDS: “I think the biggest test, for any coach when you go through this, is keeping the team together. I think they’ve done a good job of that. They believe in the plan – the players, they’ve played that way. They’re very competitive, we’ve been more competitive, as I was saying, since we had one quarterback playing. That was the Jets game. I think after that game, we’ve been pretty consistent as a football team. We had one that got away from us, the Buffalo game with all the turnovers, but other than that, we’ve been in every game with an opportunity to win. We just haven’t been able to do that as much as we’d like to this year. I just think that the way these guys have come together and stuck together as a football team, a lot of teams, when you have a record like this, converge and unite. They believe they’re going to be a good football team, and they are.”

Q: How are you going into this offseason? Will you need a break for a few days?

EDWARDS: “No, I’m going to be energetic. We’re going to come in Tuesday, and I’ll be in Monday and Tuesday and I’ll evaluate the players. Coaches will get some time off, about a week or so, then they’ll come back. I’ll be in the office, starting to look at the whole season, look at tape and start to plan. I’ll get with (Chiefs VP of Player Personnel) Bill (Kuharich) to start talking about the Senior Bowl and prospects that are coming up in the draft. Free agency is going to start here pretty quickly. So, those are things you go over, once the season is done. Those are the things you look at, so that’s kind of how we’re going to handle it.”

Q: Will you meet with any of the players individually after the season?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, you do. With their individual coaches and if they need to see me, they’ll be there that Monday. When they come in, I anticipate we’ll have a team meeting there about ten o’clock. From then, you’ll be able to talk to all the players. I’ve talked to a bunch of them already but I still need to talk to them when the season’s over. As this week goes and next week and that.”

Q: What will you tell them?

EDWARDS: “Well, obviously, even though the season’s over, you still represent the Kansas City Chiefs. Make sure that, we don’t have any games after next Sunday, you’re name’s not in the paper or anything. Treat it professionally. They’ll get their letter on when the offseason will start and all that kind of stuff. Kind of keep them abreast of what’s going on. They’re going to go home, most of these guys live out of town. They’ll get some rest and that’s how it kind of works, when the season ends.”

Q: How much of the groundwork, in terms of a percentage, was laid for the future this season?

EDWARDS: “Oh, 85 percent of it is done now. It’s just a matter of another draft and free agency, and then you’re going to have your team built, for the most part. Then it’s just a matter of, from there, continuing to grow on that. The hard part is done. All the foundation, all the work, has been laid for what’s going to transpire for years to come now if you keep your head down this path. That’s the path that we’re going to head in, through the draft and be very selective in free agency. The core of your players are going to be drafted Chiefs. That’s kind of the core of the team now.”

Q: So with one more draft and free agency, you foresee this team competing in 2010?

EDWARDS: “I see them competing next year. I think this is going to be a good football team next year. I really do, that’s my opinion. I think the players feel that way too. When you play games that we’ve played, where you’ve been very competitive, you look at nine games where they’ve been one-score games, it’s just the odds that you’re going to win your share of those. This team has gone through a lot this year and they’ll be much more experienced next year. They feel what happened to them this year, they know where they’re at, and they’ll be much more confident coming in in the spring and that’s what you’re looking for.”

Q: How different will your roster look from training camp this year to next season?

EDWARDS: “It’ll look a little different in the fact that you’ll have the draft choices, you’ll have a couple free agent guys, and it’ll be some guys that came in and did a good job that we picked up off the street. Obviously your backup guys. The good thing that happened this year, there’s still some good in all this, is that you evaluated almost every player you had on the roster. You know where they’re at. They got playing experience, which is hard to do over the course of a season when you don’t have injuries or whatever. We’ve evaluated a lot of football players, we know what they are. Some guys that are starting, maybe we’re asking too much of them, when it’s all said and done. You don’t know that until they play. Now we know. You look at 96 percent of the players on this roster have played in games and have played a significant amount of football games. Now there’s always that five percent, four percent that didn’t play enough, but that’s anywhere. To be able to evaluate your football team like this is a tremendous help for you because now you know going into next season exactly where your guys stand. You don’t have to project what they’re going to be, you’ve got a whole season of showing what kind of player he can be, so that’s the good part.”

Q: Have you found a few guys this season?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, there’s a few guys. (WR Mark) Bradley, how about him? He’s a guy that was at home. We brought him in and he did a pretty good job for us. That’s kind of unique in a guy like that. There’s some other guys we’ve brought in, and maybe they’re not starters, but they have a role on this football team. Maybe they’re being prepped to start right now, but I think if you just give them a role and they don’t have to play 50, 40 snaps a game, they’re a better player for it.”

Q: Looking back on the season with 8-8 possibly winning the division, does that haunt you?

EDWARDS: “You make a great point, 8-8 has a chance of winning the division if Denver doesn’t win. You talk about the teams in our division, we were very competitive in our division. We had a chance to win more games than we did in our division and I think that’s a good thing. I think the players realize that. They will realize that. They actually competed against those teams. When you look at our division, that’s something we’ll talk about at the end of the year. These guys will reflect on that and go hmmm. And that’s a good part. Every season is new, you never know what’s going to happen year-to-year. If you just look at that, it gives you a great bit of optimism for the future?”

Q: But does that haunt you?

EDWARDS: “No, it won’t haunt you. Things in life happen for a reason. You never know why. But you live through it, you learn from and I think this team is going to learn a lot from everything they’ve gone through this year.”

Q: Is it tough to motivate a team with nothing to play for?

EDWARDS: “No because you get to play football. It’s the last football game we get to play this year. That’s what’s great about it. When you get between the lines as a football player, you want to play football. That’s the great part about it. Cincinnati will play hard, we’ll play hard. When you watch both teams play this week, you won’t realize what the records are. You’ll see a competitive game, in my opinion. I know how Marvin coaches, I have a lot of respect for him and he’ll have his guys ready to play.”

blueballs
12-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Q: Does U-haul offer gift certificates

Agent V
12-23-2008, 05:28 PM
You talk about the teams in our division, we were very competitive in our division.
Yep. Last place. Very competitive.

Yes, I realize the games were close, but last is last.

Donger
12-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Herm, don't take this the wrong way, but please just stop speaking.

CoMoChief
12-23-2008, 05:33 PM

ROFL

RustShack
12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
So your saying theres a chance?

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm the best coach ever. My players suck. /Herm

Mecca
12-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep. Last place. Very competitive.

Yes, I realize the games were close, but last is last.

I'd be proud to be in last place of the 2nd worst division in football.

Big Chief Homer
12-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Man, he's really hanging onto that we were close excuse.I stopped reading after seeing it for the 400th time.

Let hope the new Gm sees why they really lost 3/4 of those close games.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Q: So with one more draft and free agency, you foresee this team competing in 2010?

EDWARDS: “I see them competing next year

I almost want him to stay just to see him fail by his own standard.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
When you play games that we’ve played, where you’ve been very competitive, you look at nine games where they’ve been one-score games, it’s just the odds that you’re going to win your share of those.

It's just luck! It's the odds!!!! It's outta my hands!

Sam Hall
12-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Q: Are you burnt out after this season?

EDWARDS: “Does it look like it? No, no.

Yes, it does look like you're burnt out.

Mecca
12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
It's just luck! It's the odds!!!! It's outta my hands!

See I hate when he says that shit cause you know what, most NFL games are close and bad teams lose those close games. Very few teams are just going to get worked every single week.

R&GHomer
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
A small part of me kind of feels for the guy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I agree whole heartily in the direction the chiefs took with rebuilding. This story has a couple more years before it plays its self out.

Like he said, the foundation has been laid. Good or bad, Herm's finger prints are going to be on this franchise for a while. :shake: All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

boogblaster
12-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Herm would like to coach and win but he can't ... Sorry dude take your marbles and go home .....

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 07:14 PM
A small part of me kind of feels for the guy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I agree whole heartily in the direction the chiefs took with rebuilding. This story has a couple more years before it plays its self out.

Like he said, the foundation has been laid. Good or bad, Herm's finger prints are going to be on this franchise for a while. :shake: All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

A big part of me feels bad for the franchise and fanbase for the last 3 years... I have zero feelings towards Herm, he was hired and paid very well to rebuild this defense, His mouth said he could fix it, He failed, we have paid alot of money for fail..

A ton of money for a 0.319 winning percentage...

R&GHomer
12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
A big part of me feels bad for the franchise and fanbase for the last 3 years... I have zero feelings towards Herm, he was hired and paid very well to rebuild this defense, His mouth said he could fix it, He failed, we have paid alot of money for fail..

I hear what you're saying. I don't think Herm is worth a shit as a coach X's and O's. And as far as the Defense goes... well, no excuses. Injuries are part of the game. But some small part of you has to admit, he's made a few pretty good picks.

If by some divine intervention a new GM and HC come in and we become serious "even marginal" competitors next season. Herm and company would be a big reason for it, there's no getting around it.

kc rush
12-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Herm Edwards Press Conference - 12/23 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/12/23/herm_edwards_press_conference__1223/)
Dec 23, 2008, 4:20:08 PM

Q: What has been your biggest test this season?

EDWARDS: “I think the biggest test, for any coach when you go through this, is keeping the team together. I think they’ve done a good job of that. ”

I guess practice makes perfect, huh Herm.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-23-2008, 08:25 PM

LMAO Herm will have a lifetime supply of U-Haul rentals if they do.

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I hear what you're saying. I don't think Herm is worth a shit as a coach X's and O's. And as far as the Defense goes... well, no excuses. Injuries are part of the game. But some small part of you has to admit, he's made a few pretty good picks.

If by some divine intervention a new GM and HC come in and we become serious "even marginal" competitors next season. Herm and company would be a big reason for it, there's no getting around it.

Yes we have a few good picks that will be left over when they are gone.

Yes I know it will be linked to Herm, just like Herms "Miracle from the Heavens Playoff Appearance" will forever be linked to DV....

Thing that will be amusing the most? Is when something goes wrong or we have to add talent or depth over the next 3 years, we can always look back and blame Herm for his marginal talent evaluations skills, just like everyone did to DV and his atrocious drafting skills...

Crush
12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Q: How does it feel to be a lame duck?

EDWARDS: "Sure it is flusterating, but you also get to coach real good football. This team will be competitive next year because 85% of the rebuilding is done. 95% of this guys should be back and ready to take their experience and put it to good use. You have to play to win the game, because that is the game. The rebuilding is almost complete, but there is still a lot of holes to fill."

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Q: How does it feel to be a lame duck?

EDWARDS: "Sure it is flusterating, but you also get to coach real good football. This team will be competitive next year because 85% of the rebuilding is done. 95% of this guys should be back and ready to take their experience and put it to good use. You have to play to win the game, because that is the game. The rebuilding is almost complete, but there is still a lot of holes to fill."

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7495/fireherm2zi4.jpg

bowener
12-23-2008, 10:52 PM
EDWARDS: “Yeah, you do. With their individual coaches and if they need to see me, they’ll be there that Monday. When they come in, I anticipate we’ll have a team meeting there about ten o’clock. From then, you’ll be able to talk to all the players. I’ve talked to a bunch of them already but I still need to talk to them when the season’s over. As this week goes and next week and that.”

Is this meeting in anticipation for telling them that you are no longer their coach, and all the hard work they have put in throughout their lives may very well amount to something worth a shit.

OnTheWarpath15
12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
EDWARDS: “No, I’m going to be energetic. We’re going to come in Tuesday, and I’ll be in Monday and Tuesday and I’ll evaluate the players. Coaches will get some time off, about a week or so, then they’ll come back.

Sorry, but that's fucking hilarious...

Reerun_KC
12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry, but that's fucking hilarious...

Herm has zero business back in the stadium... No need to let him screw up the team anymore...

El Jefe
12-24-2008, 10:26 AM

I think the same way that you do. He was paid a lot of money to turn this team around, it isn't like he did all this for free. Even if he gets fired he still got paid, do I feel bad for him?....Not really, it's a business, sometimes it just doesn't work.

InChiefsHeaven
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I think the same way that you do. He was paid a lot of money to turn this team around, it isn't like he did all this for free. Even if he gets fired he still got paid, do I feel bad for him?....Not really, it's a business, sometimes it just doesn't work.

Exactly. I'm sure he's a nice guy, a great family man. He's not going to be broke or anything. It just didn't work out...move on...

Reerun_KC
12-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Exactly. I'm sure he's a nice guy, a great family man. He's not going to be broke or anything. It just didn't work out...move on...

:clap: