PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Shop For Free Agents: Who would You Pick Up?

KCJohnny
12-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Shop For Free Agents: Who would You Pick Up?

Scout.com 2009 Free Agency Rankings (http://http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2009)

Chiefs have only 17 players on the 47 man roster with 4 years or more experience. That's 18 rookies, 30 guys total in their 3rd year or less. That makes Kansas City the youngest team in the NFL. The departure of players like Pat Surtain, Damon Huard and Donnie Edwards would make the Chiefs even less bouyed by experience.

The Chiefs will in all likelihood bid on some of the players listed at site linked to above. Anybody got your attention? With the team $32 mil under the salary cap, I think the FO can afford a bit of a shopping spree.

Me? Julius Peppers and Albert Haynesworth would look great in red & gold. Safetyman Yeremiah Bell is only in his 5th year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
KCJohnny
:arrow:

Mr. Arrowhead
12-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Peppers and Vilma

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Suggs is the only player of note even worth pursuing in FA, and that's assuming he doesn't get tagged.

None of the top guys are going to come here unless we pay them probably 10% more than what Allen got from Minnesota. We aren't at the point where we can add top tier guys, and even then, you shouldn't get cornerstones from FA, only complementary players.

DaKCMan AP
12-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Suggs is the only player of note even worth pursuing in FA, and that's assuming he doesn't get tagged.

None of the top guys are going to come here unless we pay them probably 10% more than what Allen got from Minnesota. We aren't at the point where we can add top tier guys, and even then, you shouldn't get cornerstones from FA, only complementary players.

This.

KCJohnny
12-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Says who? You ascribe to a subjective orthodoxy that you assume all fans must by needs follow. Chiefs fans should note that Lenny Dawson was the equivalent to a FA and he was THE cornerstone of the Kansas City Chiefs to include 2 SB appearances.

If we aren't at the point to add top tier players ($32 mil under the cap) then who is?

The Bad Guy
12-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Terrell Suggs and Jason Brown.

DaKCMan AP
12-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Says who? You ascribe to a subjective orthodoxy that you assume all fans must by needs follow. Chiefs fans should note that Lenny Dawson was the equivalent to a FA and he was THE cornerstone of the Kansas City Chiefs to include 2 SB appearances.

Your logic is based upon a 45 year old occurrence - it's no wonder you're not taken seriously.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-25-2008, 08:49 AM

If we aren't at the point to add top tier players ($32 mil under the cap) then who is?

Len Dawson was 40 years ago. The NFL changes. At one point the draft was almost 20 rounds and there was no free agency.

The fact of the matter is that with the increase in the cap and the use of the franchise tag, top tier players don't get away. All the players who hit the open market have severe flaws in their game or huge personal question marks surrounding them with so much associated risk that the increase in the size of the contracts far outweighs the potential reward of signing them.

Draft your core players, let the nonessential guys walk in FA, and collect compensatory draft picks. Use the savings to lock up the big guys.

Look at all the big free agent prizes of the last several years. T.O., Nate Clements, Steve Hutchinson, Leonard Davis, Joey Porter, Plaxico Burress, Justin Smith. All those players either play complementary positions (Hutch, Davis), are complementary players (Smith) and got paid huge cash, or are nutjobs. The one exception is Clements who got a 70 million dollar contract and has done nothing to justify it.

This team has built itself through FA for the last 15 years and hasn't won a playoff game because of it. At least the Chiefs of about 89-94 were built through the draft, save for Saleamua and Montana. Once KC's core draft picks from the end of the Steadman era dried up, so did the team.

Deberg_1990
12-25-2008, 09:18 AM
IM just glad that KCJohnny wont ever be a GM.

Fat Elvis
12-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Len Dawson was 40 years ago. The NFL changes. At one point the draft was almost 20 rounds and there was no free agency.

This team has built itself through FA for the last 15 years and hasn't won a playoff game because of it. At least the Chiefs of about 89-94 were built through the draft, save for Saleamua and Montana. Once KC's core draft picks from the end of the Steadman era dried up, so did the team.

Whoa there...don't confuse ShortJeep Johnny with the facts.

RustShack
12-25-2008, 11:23 AM
IM just glad that KCJohnny wont ever be a GM.

:toast:

OnTheWarpath15
12-25-2008, 11:28 AM

OnTheWarpath58 approves this message.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2u8lclx.gif

milkman
12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Len Dawson was 40 years ago.

Not to mention that, although he turned into a HoF QB, he wasn't in any way, shape, or form, considered a cornerstone FA in the open market.

FloridaMan88
12-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Matt Cassel and Antonio Bryant would be at the top my list.

DaKCMan AP
12-25-2008, 02:18 PM

:rolleyes:

Right, cause, who needs defense?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/don_banks/08/17/vermeil.papale/t1_vermeil1_all.jpg

RustShack
12-25-2008, 02:33 PM

:doh!:

bigdreams1
12-25-2008, 02:37 PM
FA:
Vilma, Andrews, Suggs
Draft:
Rey Maulauga
Herman Johnson
Antoine Caldwell

I believe that fills all the holes
RT: Andrews
RG: Johnson
C: Caldwell

DL: Suggs, Dorsey, Tyler, Hali

LB: Vilma, Maulauga, Johnson

PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN...Hunt did say he was gonna spend some dough in FA

RustShack
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Isn't Vilma a MLB? Is Rey really worth the 2nd pick?

kcxiv
12-25-2008, 04:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Right, cause, who needs defense?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/don_banks/08/17/vermeil.papale/t1_vermeil1_all.jpg

I am not understanding this. People mostly want offense offense. I am one of the few screaming defense over here. I Think Vermeil spoiled everyone with offense. lol

kcchiefsus
12-25-2008, 04:28 PM

The fact of the matter is that with the increase in the cap and the use of the franchise tag, top tier players don't get away. All the players who hit the open market have severe flaws in their game or huge personal question marks surrounding them with so much associated risk that the increase in the size of the contracts far outweighs the potential reward of signing them.

Draft your core players, let the nonessential guys walk in FA, and collect compensatory draft picks. Use the savings to lock up the big guys.

Look at all the big free agent prizes of the last several years. T.O., Nate Clements, Steve Hutchinson, Leonard Davis, Joey Porter, Plaxico Burress, Justin Smith. All those players either play complementary positions (Hutch, Davis), are complementary players (Smith) and got paid huge cash, or are nutjobs. The one exception is Clements who got a 70 million dollar contract and has done nothing to justify it.

Joey Porter? The same Joey Porter who is leading the AFC in sacks? Yeah, what a waste.

kcxiv
12-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Also wasnt Abraham a FA? dude has 16.5 sacks and has his team in the play offs as well. hehe

I think you can go for a top tier player, but you have to be smart about it and dont get a dud.

LiL stumppy
12-25-2008, 04:46 PM

Exactly. People who don't believe you can pick up good players in FA are idiots. We can pick many, young and old players up next year in FA that can help is for the the next 3 years or more.

milkman
12-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I am not understanding this. People mostly want offense offense. I am one of the few screaming defense over here. I Think Vermeil spoiled everyone with offense. lol

No, what you don't understand is that no one wants to ignore the defense.

But what some of us want is a complete team that can be a SB contender for years, and the way to do that is to find the best players that can make that a reality.

For some that means that while defense is a priority, we also understand that you can not simply draft or sign defensive players to fill a need.

You get the best players that you can.
You find value at every position on the team possible.

Mecca
12-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Like was mentioned earlier, a top tier free agent is not going to sign with the Chiefs unless they make him the highest paid player in the league. Those players can get paid by the good teams, they aren't just going to pick a bad one instead.

Antonio Bryant is the kind of player to look at, he had a breakout year and has all the physical tools, I don't think he'll get giant money either.

eazyb81
12-25-2008, 05:27 PM
It'd be nice to hire DeCosta and have him convince Suggs to sign here.

JohnnyV13
12-25-2008, 05:36 PM
You CANNOT pick up cornerstone players in FA. Priest Holmes was really over-rated and actually useless. Casey Weigman was a terrible player who was carried by Brian Waters and Will Shields. Marcus Allen actually hurt the Chiefs. His presence set back this franchise for over a decade. We picked up Rich Gannon in FA, thank God we got rid of that loser before he harmed the team. James Hasty is simply a Chiefs planet myth, created by one play where Marty Schottenheimer kissed his bald head after he intercepted the raiders to produce a touchdown in overtime. Hasty actually ruined the secondary and disrupted team harmony. I can tell few here remember the disaster that was Glenn Parker and how he ruined our offensive line in 1997 and 1998.

Forget about free agents.They're worthless!

Mecca
12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
The FA market is completely different now than it was at the times guys like Hasty got into it...

Hootie
12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
You CANNOT pick up cornerstone players in FA. Priest Holmes was really over-rated and actually useless. Casey Weigman was a terrible player who was carried by Brian Waters and Will Shields. Marcus Allen actually hurt the Chiefs. His presence set back this franchise for over a decade. We picked up Rich Gannon in FA, thank God we got rid of that loser before he harmed the team. James Hasty is simply a Chiefs planet myth, created by one play where Marty Schottenheimer kissed his bald head after he intercepted the raiders to produce a touchdown in overtime. Hasty actually ruined the secondary and disrupted team harmony. I can tell few here remember the disaster that was Glenn Parker and how he ruined our offensive line in 1997 and 1998.

but we didn't win a Super Bowl...(that's what all the Mecca's will say)

Hootie
12-25-2008, 05:40 PM
The FA market is completely different now than it was at the times guys like Hasty got into it...

I don't disagree but it's not like free agency isn't important.

Mecca
12-25-2008, 05:41 PM
but we didn't win a Super Bowl...(that's what all the Mecca's will say)

The FA market is nothing like it was in the 90s......sighting guys like Weigman and Holmes is fine know why? The Chiefs signed them as middle and low tier free agents to no money.

The Chiefs biggest problem has been not knowing when to walk away from players, they gave 2 RB's in consecutive situations contracts they shouldn't have.

JohnnyV13
12-25-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't disagree but it's not like free agency isn't important.

Mecca, you're correct. FA IS different, because teams manage the cap better. BUT, Mecca, I think you're too young to remember the circumstances surrounding Hasty's arrival. Hasty was widely HATED in NY. Jets fans had as much respect for Hasty as we do for Crispy and Toasty. The the problem was, the Jets tended to play their corners in off coverage. Such a style simply didn't suit Hasty's talents. You can STILL find misused players in FA. Look at Kawicka Mitchell.

milkman
12-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Mecca, you're correct. FA IS different, because teams manage the cap better. BUT, Mecca, I think you're too young to remember the circumstances surrounding Hasty's arrival. Hasty was widely HATED in NY. Jets fans had as much respect for Hasty as we do for Crispy and Toasty. The the problem was, the Jets tended to play their corners in off coverage. Such a style simply didn't suit Hasty's talents. You can STILL find misused players in FA. Look at Kawicka Mitchell.

And Hasty wasn't what was considered a "conerstone" free agent.

As it turned out he, and almost every other player you named, played at a far higher level than anyone anticipated.

The only player that one would call a "cornerstone" free agent at the time of his signing was Marcus Allen.

BigChiefFan
12-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Free agency is just fine. Teams find good players in FA EVERY YEAR.

BigMeatballDave
12-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Matt Cassel and Antonio Bryant would be at the top my list.LMAO

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Suggs is the only player we should consider. Other than that look at alot of tier 3 guys like the Darling types we signed this year. Some of those can hit big in the right situation. Other than I would hold out until 2010 or 2011.

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Len Dawson was basically a waiver wire pickup. It would be like picking up Joey Harrington.

bowener
Ive been wanting people to give me some wisdom on Angelo Crowell as an OLB rotation player and possible starter. He isn't a young buck really, I think 27. He was injured this entire year due to knee injuries, and before that I think he only started one season, but in the times he got to play he was pretty good. I was wanting to know if he comes back from the knee injury without any decline, is he worth giving a cheap contract to? It would seem he would be pretty cheap since he is a little older and was hurt. I think he would be better than D. Williams.

I also wanted some info on the Rams backup/starting LDE, Victor Adeyanju. He is 6'4" 280 lbs and was supposed to be a good prospect coming out of college to be a pass rusher as a RDE off the edge, if I remember right. He has been in the league 3 years and is only 25. I was wondering if we could throw him into our DE lineup, and with better coaching, we would hopefully get more out of him and the rest of our DL.

KCCHIEFS27
So, for the most part, here is what I'm understanding from some of you. We need to continue to sign complementary players, such as, Domarrio Williams(5th highest paid player on the team)? Otherwise, anybody else with a higher skill set would be a complete waste of money? Really though, with a new GM coming in and hopefully a lot of other fresh personnel, don't you think some of those big time FA might give us a look now? Especially with Herm being a "player's coach".

bowener
12-25-2008, 07:43 PM
So, for the most part, here is what I'm understanding from some of you. We need to continue to sign complementary players, such as, Domarrio Williams(5th highest paid player on the team)? Otherwise, anybody else with a higher skill set would be a complete waste of money? Really though, with a new GM coming in and hopefully a lot of other fresh personnel, don't you think some of those big time FA might give us a look now? Especially with Herm being a "player's coach".

I think we should sign who ever can help this shit get turned around. I realize most huge names aren't going to make it to the market, but I think with all this youth, adding an experienced younger star would go a hell of a long ways for us, especially on defense.

And in response to above, I think we will get a lot more of a look because of the large quantity of George Washington's we will be sitting on. Don't forget it will grow larger once we dump Surtain.

KCJohnny
12-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Also wasnt Abraham a FA? dude has 16.5 sacks and has his team in the play offs as well. hehe

I think you can go for a top tier player, but you have to be smart about it and dont get a dud.

Porter and Abraham.

Point.

KCJohnny
12-25-2008, 08:08 PM

ROFL
Nice!

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Abraham was traded to Atlanta for a first round pick.

RustShack
12-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I really wouldn't mind having Haynesworth next to Dorsey...

RustShack
12-25-2008, 08:33 PM
And with Dorsey at UT next year...

banyon
12-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow. KCJ just can't wait to get back to 8-8. He's really going to miss Carl.

Marcellus
12-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Porter and Abraham.

Point.

J.Porter

Abraham

J.Allen

M.Turner

K.Warner

S. Hutchison

J. Peppers.

A. Winfield

C. Woodson

All Pro Bowlers not with their original teams. I am sure I missed several more.

I am not saying we need to go crazy on a spending spree but anyone who says you can't sign impact free agents is looking at things from a slanted point of view.

You have to be smart. No K. Bell's or N. Harris types but add a couple smart FA or trade players.

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2008, 08:40 PM
J.Porter

Abraham

J.Allen

M.Turner

K.Warner

S. Hutchison

J. Peppers.

A. Winfield

C. Woodson

I am not saying we need to go crazy on a spending spree but anyone who says you can't sign impact free agents is looking at things from a slanted point of view.

You have to be smart. No K. Bell's or N. Harris types but add a couple smart FA or trade players.

Peppers has been with the Panthers his whole career.

RustShack
12-25-2008, 08:40 PM
How many of those players have huge contracts? Of the ones who don't, were they expected to be pro bowl type players at the time, or were the considered washed up?

milkman
12-25-2008, 08:43 PM
J.Porter

Abraham

J.Allen

M.Turner

K.Warner

S. Hutchison

J. Peppers.

A. Winfield

C. Woodson

That is exactly what people like Hamas and mecca are saying.

They aren't saying that we should completely eschew free agency.

They are saying we need to be smart about the players that we persue, which is why they are both un the camp that endorses the idea of persuing Suggs should he actually hit the market.

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2008, 08:44 PM
How many of those players have huge contracts? Of the ones who don't, were they expected to be pro bowl type players at the time, or were the considered washed up?

Funny thing is none of them are one of the 3 teams that have the best shot at winning the Super Bowl (Giants, Steelers, Colts)

milkman
12-25-2008, 08:45 PM

Warner was probably the only player that was considered potentially washed up at the time he signed with the Cards.

And, although he started out through the first half of the season looking like an MVP type player, his play has steadily declined over the last 4-5 games.

KCJohnny
12-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow. KCJ just can't wait to get back to 8-8. He's really going to miss Carl.

8-8 is a step between 2-14 and 13-3.

Rather than snipe at me Mr. Banyon, post your ideas.

Marcellus
12-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Peppers has been with the Panthers his whole career.

Your right. I always get him mixed up with J Kearse and I have no idea why.

So I looked up more I didn't have earlier.

T. Jones.

M.Sellars ( A stretch as he only played 1 year with Clevland before going back to Washington. He also is FB but I feel letting T-Rich go was mistake.T-Rich has also been a FA Pro bowler after leaving KC in 2008)

W. Welker

L. Davis

A. Samuel

A. Faneca

I likely missed another 1 or 2.

Marcellus
12-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Funny thing is none of them are one of the 3 teams that have the best shot at winning the Super Bowl (Giants, Steelers, Colts)

If you are so sure who is going to win the SB you better run to Vegas.

The Bad Guy
12-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Like was mentioned earlier, a top tier free agent is not going to sign with the Chiefs unless they make him the highest paid player in the league. Those players can get paid by the good teams, they aren't just going to pick a bad one instead.

Antonio Bryant is the kind of player to look at, he had a breakout year and has all the physical tools, I don't think he'll get giant money either.

I really like Bryant. It just depends on the type of HC we bring in.

I also 100% disagree you have to make a free agent the highest paid player in the league. You just have to offer him more than anyone else. Terrell Suggs is not going to become the highest paid NFL player in free agency.

blueballs
12-25-2008, 10:19 PM
It might be nice to know what system is going to be run
before you start plugging holes
-If this hasn't already been covered -I'd be surprised

whoman69
12-25-2008, 10:21 PM
This year we went for bargain basement free agents who were castoffs from very poor teams. IMO the bulk of your talent has to come from your draft. Since many of our draft picks have yet to mature or have been busts, we need to find a niche in the mid-level FA market. KC is never going to attract the top level FAs because the money is not there, nor is the media coverage. We should be looking to shore up positions of need with solid players not marginal players like Tavares Washington, Pat Thomas or Brian De La Puente or the other rejects who didn't even make the team.

KCJohnny
12-25-2008, 10:30 PM
This year we went for bargain basement free agents who were castoffs from very poor teams. IMO the bulk of your talent has to come from your draft. Since many of our draft picks have yet to mature or have been busts, we need to find a niche in the mid-level FA market. KC is never going to attract the top level FAs because the money is not there, nor is the media coverage. We should be looking to shore up positions of need with solid players not marginal players like Tavares Washington, Pat Thomas or Brian De La Puente or the other rejects who didn't even make the team.

We should never have let Jared Allen get away.

KC could attract top tier FAs - depends on who, how much, and what the GM's vision is for building the franchise. There's no one-size-fits-all situation.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs would all look better in red and gold.

Skip Towne
12-25-2008, 11:04 PM
8-8 is a step between 2-14 and 13-3.

Rather than snipe at me Mr. Banyon, post your ideas.

Haven't you heard, this team is going from 2-14 straight to the SB. Just as soon as we get "fresh blood" at GM and HC.

Mecca
12-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I really like Bryant. It just depends on the type of HC we bring in.

I also 100% disagree you have to make a free agent the highest paid player in the league. You just have to offer him more than anyone else. Terrell Suggs is not going to become the highest paid NFL player in free agency.

It would have to be significantly more thougyh, Suggs is going to be pursued by nearly every team I'm sure so I don't think something like say 5 mill difference would make him pick a 2-14 team over a contender.

Micjones
12-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Terrell Suggs and Jason Brown for my money.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Wes Welker cost the Patriots a second rounder in a trade, he wasn't a free agent.

Again, people look at the first two years of a FA contract and assume that it's a good deal because of that. It's never the first two years of a FA signing that get you into trouble, it's the later years of the contract and the retardation of the development of players behind that player that make it costly.

The Bad Guy
12-26-2008, 01:22 AM
It would have to be significantly more thougyh, Suggs is going to be pursued by nearly every team I'm sure so I don't think something like say 5 mill difference would make him pick a 2-14 team over a contender.

I 100% think 5 million more is going to make him go somewhere. The players association would put a lot of pressure on him to take a deal where he got more money regardless of team record.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2008, 01:25 AM
I 100% think 5 million more is going to make him go somewhere. The players association would put a lot of pressure on him to take a deal where he got more money regardless of team record.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

5 million more over the total of a contract wouldn't make a difference. You are talking about probably 700 K per year. 5 mil per year would, but then you are probably paying him 15 million a year.

Wilson8
12-26-2008, 01:25 AM
The Chiefs NEED players at DE, LB, QB, and OL. If they want to compete in 2009, they cannot do this through the draft alone. They have to go after at least 2 free agents. I agree that the way to build a team is through the draft but smart free agency shopping will allow Kansas City to be a competitive team this next season.

QB - Matt Cassel

LB – Channing Crowder, Angelo Crowell, Karlos Dansby, Michael Boley, Leroy Hill, Mike Peterson, Andra Davis, and Jonathan Vilma are some of the free agent LBs that would be available.

DE – Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs

OL – Vernon Carey, Mark Tauscher, John St. Clair, Mike Goff, Jason Brown, Matt Birk, and Eric Heitmann

Of these names, I’d pick two or three of the following; Jason Brown, (Julius Peppers or Terrell Suggs), Jonathan Vilma, and Matt Cassel.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2008, 01:31 AM
The Chiefs NEED players at DE, LB, QB, and OL. If they want to compete in 2009, they cannot do this through the draft alone. They have to go after at least 2 free agents. I agree that the way to build a team is through the draft but smart free agency shopping will allow Kansas City to be a competitive team this next season.

QB - Matt Cassel

LB – Channing Crowder, Angelo Crowell, Karlos Dansby, Michael Boley, Leroy Hill, Mike Peterson, Andra Davis, and Jonathan Vilma are some of the free agent LBs that would be available.

DE – Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs

OL – Vernon Carey, Mark Tauscher, John St. Clair, Mike Goff, Jason Brown, Matt Birk, and Eric Heitmann

Of these names, I’d pick two or three of the following; Jason Brown, (Julius Peppers or Terrell Suggs), Jonathan Vilma, and Matt Cassel.

How many times do we have to say this?

It's not a one year rebuild. Period. I don't want to be like Miami. That's a .500 team next year at best. We aren't playing the two worst divisions in football, we've got a ruinous schedule, we'd be lucky to go 8-8 even with a huge infusion of talent that would still hamper the long term interests of the team. If you want to add 2 or 3 complementary players at positions like Guard or Linebacker, that's cool, but don't think that anything is going to get this team to compete next year, because it isn't happening.

The Bad Guy
12-26-2008, 01:34 AM
5 million more over the total of a contract wouldn't make a difference. You are talking about probably 700 K per year. 5 mil per year would, but then you are probably paying him 15 million a year.

The Players Association will always push for the player to sign the richest deal he can regardless of destination. It elevates all potential franchise/transition player deals down the road.

If the Chiefs offer 5 million more for Suggs than everyone else, he would absolutely be a Kansas City Chief.

mylittlepony
12-26-2008, 03:28 AM
Ray Lewis,

now please hear me out. Rays contract runs out this year and the Ravens must see that he is on his way out. Now what would a Ray Lewis to Kansas City trade meen for all parties?

- Ray, wants to become a NFLPA top (atleast I think so, he is a mentor to alot of kids in this league he has the reputation to have a long career in the NFLPA after he is done). Now what better thing then to join the team with the most rookies. What better thing to put on your resume then that you in your last years helped rebuild the youngest team in football. You reached out to the young players.

- The players, young players need guidence and coaching and there are some things the coaches just cant do. Who better then Ray Lewis to introduce them to the NFL and show them what its like to be professionals. This guy is already a mentor to alot of players to get his helping hand in the KC locker-room would be a stat that would defenatly be hard to meassure but surely beneficial.

- The coaches, first of all they will get a helping hand in teaching these young players the stuff thats beyond the x:es and the o:s. Ray also buildt the weight lifting culture in baltimore he is the guy you will see training day in and out and looking at his career young kids will take after that. And what KC is really trying to build is a winning culture. Ray is all about winning.

Just my 2c

KCJohnny
12-26-2008, 06:14 AM
I thought about Ray Ray. His leadership would really settle that young D down. His attitude would fire them up. He has been amazingly resilient when it comes to injuries. And he's never played on a bad defense.

My only problem with Lewis is that he's 34 or 35 next year which is a greybeard for ILBs. But would I like to see him elevate the entire D next year? You betcha.

Wilson8
12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
How many times do we have to say this?

It's not a one year rebuild. Period. I don't want to be like Miami. That's a .500 team next year at best.

The players on my list are all young, Brown 25, Peppers 28, Suggs 26, Cassel 26 and Vilma 26. Signing a couple of good free agents and adding 4 possible starters through the draft is not a one season fix. I’m asking for competitive, which means KC is in most games and instead of being in the running for the top draft pick; they at least have an outside chance at a playoff spot. Like you, I think 8 – 8 would be a good thing given the schedule.

whoman69
12-26-2008, 09:56 AM
The Players Association will always push for the player to sign the richest deal he can regardless of destination. It elevates all potential franchise/transition player deals down the road.

If the Chiefs offer 5 million more for Suggs than everyone else, he would absolutely be a Kansas City Chief.

Pipe dream. Players aren't going to sign on to a situation that is a dead end. You are also forgetting that Clark Hunt has not shown any signs that he is willing to open up the check book. Minnesota paid top dollar for their FA's and are fighting to hold on to win one of the weakest divisions in football. The Jets went out and spent big money on players besides Favre and they are barely over .500 playing more than half their games against the AFC and NFC west. Washington is the biggest spender in the league and what have they got to show for it. Do Pittsburg, New England and Indianapolis go out and spend the money for the top free agents. Let the other teams go out there and tie up their money in big money guys that may not do well in their system. Bring in some guys that can get the job done and look to the draft for your superstars. Does anybody else see Terrell Suggs as a guy not asked to do anything but rush the QB in a defense that has talent around him?

kcchiefsus
12-26-2008, 10:03 AM
It's not even worth arguing about. You should add talent to your roster however you can get it but some idiots just don't see it.

kcchiefsus
12-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Pipe dream. Players aren't going to sign on to a situation that is a dead end. You are also forgetting that Clark Hunt has not shown any signs that he is willing to open up the check book. Minnesota paid top dollar for their FA's and are fighting to hold on to win one of the weakest divisions in football. The Jets went out and spent big money on players besides Favre and they are barely over .500 playing more than half their games against the AFC and NFC west. Washington is the biggest spender in the league and what have they got to show for it. Do Pittsburg, New England and Indianapolis go out and spend the money for the top free agents. Let the other teams go out there and tie up their money in big money guys that may not do well in their system. Bring in some guys that can get the job done and look to the draft for your superstars. Does anybody else see Terrell Suggs as a guy not asked to do anything but rush the QB in a defense that has talent around him?

Hmmm, let's take a look at some free agents New England has signed in past years:

Rodney Harrison
Adalius Thomas
Roosevelt Colvin
Mike Vrabel
Corey Dillon
And personally I would count Randy Moss as a free agent signing. Yes he was a trade but it was a one year rental and then they had to shell out the big bucks to keep him or he would have left as a free agent.

Again, if you have an opportunity to add talent through free agency, why not do it? Is it our money being spent? Nope. As long as our free agency moves don't put us in cap hell, who cares if we go out and spend it? Cap room not being used is a waste. And if a free agent signing is a bust? Not our problem, because it's not our money. Again, as long as we are not put in cap hell or spend outrageous amounts like the Raiders or Redskins I don't see why fans would be against adding talent in free agency. My personal opinion is that you add talent to your team any way possible and through any means. That includes trades, free agency, and of course the draft.

The Franchise
12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
If we're only going to go after one.....then I'll take Jason Brown. We can plug him in at center and move Niswanger over to RG (where he played decently IIRC). That leaves the RT position to fill. If Hunt is looking to spend some FA cash this offseason....then grab Brown and Suggs. Sign DeCosta from Baltimore to be our GM and then grab Jim Schwartz from the Titans to be our head coach.

Then hope and pray that Bradford declares for the draft and the Lions take him.

1st round - Matt Stafford - QB - Georgia
1st round - Brandon Spikes - MLB - Florida - Yes I know we're still rebuilding and you don't trade away draft picks.....but Spikes is a force and I feel would be worthwhile to trade back up into the 1st round and grab him. I'm not entirely sure what it would cost us to do it though.
3rd round - Fenuki Tupou - OT - Oregon

This is all just a pipe dream though.....and I'm still high on the Christmas spirit.

The Franchise
12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Hmmm, let's take a look at some free agents New England has signed in past years:

Rodney Harrison
Adalius Thomas
Roosevelt Colvin
Mike Vrabel
Corey Dillon
And personally I would count Randy Moss as a free agent signing. Yes he was a trade but it was a one year rental and then they had to shell out the big bucks to keep him or he would have left as a free agent.

Again, if you have an opportunity to add talent through free agency, why not do it? Is it our money being spent? Nope. As long as our free agency moves don't put us in cap hell, who cares if we go out and spend it? Cap room not being used is a waste. And if a free agent signing is a bust? Not our problem, because it's not our money. Again, as long as we are not put in cap hell or spend outrageous amounts like the Raiders or Redskins I don't see why fans would be against adding talent in free agency. My personal opinion is that you add talent to your team any way possible and through any means. That includes trades, free agency, and of course the draft.

And what did all of that get them?

BigChiefFan
12-26-2008, 10:23 AM
And what did all of that get them?
A better team, than BEFORE they signed those guys. Nobody can argue Harrison didn't make them better or Vrabel, etc...

kcchiefsus
12-26-2008, 10:29 AM
A better team, than BEFORE they signed those guys. Nobody can argue Harrison didn't make them better or Vrabel, etc...

Exactly.

Of course guys they drafted like Tom Brady, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Matt Light, etc. were the main factors in their 3 super bowls and reaching another super bowl. I'm not arguing that the draft is not the main building block for a team. But free agency CAN be a big help in building a winner. Everybody is gun shy when it comes to free agency because for the most part Carl Peterson was a complete dumbass when it came to free agency. Well now he's gone and hopefully we find a viable replacement for him who knows how to properly use free agency.

CoMoChief
12-26-2008, 10:40 AM
LOL another thread where KCJ gets owned again.

whoman69
12-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Rodney Harrison
Adalius Thomas
Roosevelt Colvin
Mike Vrabel
Corey Dillon

How many of those were the top free agent for the year? Harrison had been cut by his former team. Dillon was considered at the end of his wasted career. Perhaps Colvin could be considered as such, but was injured in his first year. The Patriots didn't break the bank in FA, they signed wisely to fill needs. I am not opposed to adding free agents. I just don't think we need to believe that every guy we get is going to the Pro Bowl. We need players who will make us better. Many here are talking about getting the most expensive guys out there. They may come in with a lot of upside, but if they aren't more than a system player then they could have some huge downside.

Brock
12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Does anybody else see Terrell Suggs as a guy not asked to do anything but rush the QB in a defense that has talent around him?

Sure, people who watch Sportscenter.

alanm
12-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Suggs is the only player we should consider. Other than that look at alot of tier 3 guys like the Darling types we signed this year. Some of those can hit big in the right situation. Other than I would hold out until 2010 or 2011.Baltimore will tag Suggs and in order to keep him will let Lewis walk.
So you can forget that dream.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Ray Lewis,

now please hear me out. Rays contract runs out this year and the Ravens must see that he is on his way out. Now what would a Ray Lewis to Kansas City trade meen for all parties?

- Ray, wants to become a NFLPA top (atleast I think so, he is a mentor to alot of kids in this league he has the reputation to have a long career in the NFLPA after he is done). Now what better thing then to join the team with the most rookies. What better thing to put on your resume then that you in your last years helped rebuild the youngest team in football. You reached out to the young players.

- The players, young players need guidence and coaching and there are some things the coaches just cant do. Who better then Ray Lewis to introduce them to the NFL and show them what its like to be professionals. This guy is already a mentor to alot of players to get his helping hand in the KC locker-room would be a stat that would defenatly be hard to meassure but surely beneficial.

- The coaches, first of all they will get a helping hand in teaching these young players the stuff thats beyond the x:es and the o:s. Ray also buildt the weight lifting culture in baltimore he is the guy you will see training day in and out and looking at his career young kids will take after that. And what KC is really trying to build is a winning culture. Ray is all about winning.

Just my 2c

I hope you're a chick with that name

SAUTO
12-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Baltimore will tag Suggs and in order to keep him will let Lewis walk.
So you can forget that dream.

doubtful lewis walks, What about Bart Scott though? IIRC he's a FA also.
I personally would take ANY raven they ALL ARE FUCKING HITTERS

RustShack
12-26-2008, 01:18 PM
It's not even worth arguing about. You should add talent to your roster however you can get it but some idiots just don't see it.

If you take that rout then you can't fill your roster with much talent since every free agent gets a lot more money than they deserve. They after your draft picks do better they will think they deserve that kind of money. There is no problem getting free agents, you just can't go for the old guys who want big contracts. The young ones with big names will go to a good team, not the Chiefs.

KCJohnny
12-26-2008, 08:44 PM
doubtful lewis walks, What about Bart Scott though? IIRC he's a FA also.
I personally would take ANY raven they ALL ARE ****ING HITTERS

Precisely. This defense lacks any kind of vet leadership on the field seeing Donnie was hurt all year. The draft will get us future players - very few immediate impact players. FA is less a crap shoot than the draft IMO. At least you know the guy can play in the NFL and you can scout him against top opponents. College players are tough to assess.

I agree, the $ issue with FA can be dicey. My bottom line is that defense needs someone to do for them what TG does for the offense.

Fat Elvis
12-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Bring in some guys that can get the job done and look to the draft for your superstars. Does anybody else see Terrell Suggs as a guy not asked to do anything but rush the QB in a defense that has talent around him?

Suggs is a monster against the run and can drop back in coverage. He's the complete package. Six year pro that is only 26? This guy could be the foundation for our D for another 6 years.

KCChiefsMan
12-27-2008, 03:21 AM
I just want us to grab a FA pass rusher, then we could worry about something else in the draft because it doesn't always work out.

beach tribe
12-27-2008, 03:39 AM
If we're only going to go after one.....then I'll take Jason Brown. We can plug him in at center and move Niswanger over to RG (where he played decently IIRC). That leaves the RT position to fill. If Hunt is looking to spend some FA cash this offseason....then grab Brown and Suggs. Sign DeCosta from Baltimore to be our GM and then grab Jim Schwartz from the Titans to be our head coach.

Then hope and pray that Bradford declares for the draft and the Lions take him.

1st round - Matt Stafford - QB - Georgia
1st round - Brandon Spikes - MLB - Florida - Yes I know we're still rebuilding and you don't trade away draft picks.....but Spikes is a force and I feel would be worthwhile to trade back up into the 1st round and grab him. I'm not entirely sure what it would cost us to do it though.
3rd round - Fenuki Tupou - OT - Oregon

This is all just a pipe dream though.....and I'm still high on the Christmas spirit.

I love it.