PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs AP: Chiefs, Bengals hope to finish strong after dismal seasons

Tribal Warfare
12-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Chiefs, Bengals hope to finish strong after dismal seasons (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/preview?game_id=29771&displayPage=tab_preview&season=2008&week=REG17)

Chiefs vs Bengals NFL matchup video (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d99d97)

The Kansas City Chiefs are trying to avoid finishing with the worst record in franchise history. Their opponent in Sunday's season finale, the Cincinnati Bengals, can relate to such futility.

The Chiefs take on a Bengals team that, for a change, is looking to close a season on a positive note as the clubs meet at Paul Brown Stadium.

It's been another discouraging season for Kansas City and Cincinnati, though the Bengals (3-11-1) have finally had some success the past two games. They put an end to Washington's slim playoff hopes with a 20-13 win Dec. 14, then got their first road victory Sunday over Cleveland.
2009 Pro Bowl The rosters for the 2009 AFC and NFC Pro Bowl teams have been announced. See which of your favorite players will be making the trip to Hawaii. Rosters ...

The Bengals limited the Redskins to 280 yards and followed that up with their best game of the season. Cincinnati held the Browns to 182 yards, and Leon Hall's first-quarter interception return for a touchdown provided all the points the Bengals needed in a 14-0 win.

The shutout was their first since beating the Browns 30-0 on Nov. 26, 2006.

"I read the quarterback's eyes," said Hall, who came into the game without an interception this season. "I read the receiver and I jumped the route. It felt good to take it all the way."

Cincinnati was feeling good about its running game as well as its defense last week. Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson carried 38 times for 171 yards, the most productive game from a Bengals back since Rudi Johnson's 202-yard day against the Browns in 2004.

"It feels awesome," Benson said. "That was some smash-mouth football right there. When you can run the ball like that, it's a momentum builder. It says a lot for your guys. It's a big statement. It also gets the defense wondering what's going on. It wears them down."

While the Bengals have shown some progress in December, the Chiefs (2-13) have been losing in excruciating fashion. Kansas City blew a 10-point lead in Denver on Dec. 7 and fell 24-17, then suffered a stunning home defeat the next week to San Diego. The Chiefs led 21-10 at the two-minute warning, but gave up two touchdowns in the final 1:13 and fell 22-21.

They had a 31-24 cushion in the third quarter last Sunday against AFC East-leading Miami, but the Dolphins scored the game's final two TDs to win 38-31.
Pick a Super Bowl ad
For the third year in a row, the NFL is asking fans to pick the pitch that will become its Super Bowl commercial. The winning pitch will inspire the NFL's commercial that will run during Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday, Feb. 1 on NBC.

Kansas City piled up 492 yards of offense against the Dolphins, its most productive day since recording 499 against Seattle on Oct. 29, 2006. However, four turnovers -- three on Tyler Thigpen interceptions -- doomed the Chiefs again.

"The second half was our Achilles' heel and it has been all year," coach Herm Edwards said.

"I think we played with tremendous energy in the first quarter and second quarter. And then in the third and fourth quarter we get a little bit, 'Oh, boy,' and I think that's just part of growing up and maturing."

The Chiefs have set the franchise record for losses in a season, and a defeat in Cincinnati will give them the worst winning percentage in team history, topping the 1977 club that went 2-12. Kansas City is 2-22 in its last 24 games.

Coaching a team that's played 18 rookies this season, Edwards knew Kansas City was likely in for another tough year. He doesn't expect Sunday to be his last game, despite the resignation of president and general manager Carl Peterson last week.

"When you go into a season where you're going to try to rebuild and play as many young players, you can't take account of the things that are going to happen along the way," Edwards said. "When you think about all the things that have happened to this football team ... I think for the most part, we've handled it the best way we knew how as a football staff."

Will Herm Edwards and Marvin Lewis return to the sideline next season? What are your thoughts?

Kansas City and Cincinnati have both had to go with young, inexperienced quarterbacks due to a series of injuries. Thigpen has so far shown more potential than the Bengals' Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Prior to the three-interception performance last week, Thigpen had completed 60.5 percent of his passes in his previous eight starts, throwing for 13 touchdowns and five INTs.

Fitzpatrick hasn't thrown an interception in the past two games, but he's totaled just eight touchdown passes in 11 starts.

Fitzpatrick -- along with Benson -- might be in for big days against Kansas City. The Chiefs are 30th in the NFL in passing defense (241.5 yards per game), rushing defense (155.9) and scoring defense (28.3 ppg).

This is Kansas City's second trip to Cincinnati since 1987. The teams have met at Arrowhead Stadium the past three seasons with the Chiefs winning twice, most recently 27-20 on Oct. 14, 2007.

Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez each had two touchdowns in that contest.

rad
12-26-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm betting your sig is in violation of the size policy.

Gonzo
12-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Go Bengals!

blueballs
12-26-2008, 10:44 AM
a coaching career dies in Cinny on Sunday
Herm? Marvin? Gun? Curl? Priefer?

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I bet this is one of the few weekends the Bengals go into feeling really good about their chances for a win.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Is this the battle for the 3rd pick of the draft ?