PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: As Peterson departs, Chiefs are planning for more than a facelift

Tribal Warfare
12-27-2008, 11:37 PM
As Peterson departs, Chiefs are planning for more than a facelift (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/954630.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

CINCINNATI | The face of the Chiefs for the last 20 years has, by most accounts, not been a friendly one.

Carl Peterson might see himself as a zealous defender of the Hunt family money, but to many others, he has been a needlessly ruthless negotiator and cheap. Many times over the years, negotiations with agents degenerated into ugly bickering — clashes that didn’t cast a favorable light on the Chiefs or how they’ve done business.

The Chiefs also angered much of their fan base by raising ticket prices most seasons, despite having participated in the playoffs just twice in the last 10 years.

“I’ve had players tell me before they didn’t want to come play here because of what this team’s reputation was,” guard Brian Waters said. “So I’m sure there are a lot of agents and players out there jumping up and down saying, ‘Oh, man, Carl Peterson is gone and now the Chiefs are going to be easier to deal with.’ I’m sure there are a lot of fans that are happy, too.”

Peterson’s last game with the team is today, when the 2-13 Chiefs finish their season against the Bengals in Cincinnati. The Chiefs, since chairman Clark Hunt’s announcement two weeks ago, have had little to say about the departure of Peterson, their longtime president, general manager and chief executive officer.

But behind the scenes, they’re preparing to change many aspects of the business, from how they negotiate player contracts to the game-day experience for fans.

The goal is to smooth some of the rough edges. The break with Peterson provides the perfect opportunity to do it.

“It all starts at the top,” said Bill Newman, the Chiefs’ senior vice president for administration. “Clark Hunt has made it very clear: It’s about the fans, and it’s about a competitive product. You’re going to see that throughout the organization.”

Newman would not say whether the Chiefs would raise ticket prices for next season. He said the Chiefs planned a ticket-price announcement after New Year’s Day.

Peterson’s responsibilities will be divided. The Chiefs will hire a president to run the business aspects and a general manager to run the football operation.

The Chiefs will look for a president who can project a far different image. They want someone who will be approachable and better able to connect with the fans.

They also will look for someone friendlier with the football community than Peterson, who had more than his share of high-profile, acrimonious contract negotiations over the years.

Longtime Chiefs vice president Denny Thum will be a strong contender for the job.

“When I’ve had a free agent the last five years or so, the last place that free agent wanted to go was Kansas City because of who was running the show,” said Ken Harris, the agent for, among other players, former Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen. “My guys, most of them, would give me a few teams they weren’t interested in playing for, and almost always, Kansas City was on that list. It certainly wasn’t because of coaching. Everybody respects Herm, and certainly everybody respected Dick Vermeil.

“It had everything to do with the word on the street, what players talk about, what agents talk about. I expect that to change now that Peterson’s gone.”

Harris and Allen had a nasty contract stalemate with Peterson. It led to Allen demanding a trade and his departure to Minnesota.

Allen’s problems with the Chiefs stemmed from what he said was Peterson’s refusal to follow up on promises to offer him a lucrative, long-term contract and public statements that Allen was a player at risk after two DUIs.

Harris said Allen probably never would have demanded the trade had Thum been in charge.

“Due to the comments, tone and actions (Peterson) took toward Jared over time, my guess is that Jared would have been a hundred times more likely to work it out with the Chiefs if he (Peterson) had left earlier,” Harris said. “The comments he made about Jared and failures to live up to promises made were the reasons why Jared finally told me to get him out of there, no matter what it took.”

Situations like Allen’s won the Chiefs a reputation among players and agents.

“Every organization is known for a little something,” Chiefs wide receiver Devard Darling said. “I’m not necessarily saying it’s because of Carl Peterson, but there are some negative things out there. I’m not going to say it outright, but there’s a word out there kind of like ‘Chiefs.’ ”

That word is “cheap.” Darling signed in the spring with the Chiefs as a free agent after four seasons in Baltimore. He was wary of coming to Kansas City, but the Chiefs were the only team to express serious interest. He was also reunited with receivers coach Eric Price, who worked with Darling in college at Washington State.

Darling said he’s found the reputation to be similar to the reality.

“I’m used to how they do things with Baltimore, and over there, everything is different,” Darling said. “The team comes first. It’s just a Class A organization. It’s different here, but now it could change. You don’t know what’s going to happen now. It all depends on who they hire.”

Prospective free agents from around the league often seek out Waters, who has a reputation for being blunt, for his take on things in Kansas City.

“I don’t tell people that they’ll be made to feel like they’re a superstar or that people in the organization will love you,” Waters said. “It’s businesslike, and people will treat you fairly. You’ll never fall in love with this organization. It won’t allow you to fall in love with it. It’s just not that way. Maybe that’s going to change now.

“Other things are changing. For one, (the Chiefs’ new practice) facility. There are a lot of players that came here on free-agent visits and they looked at the Arrowhead locker room and said, ‘This is 1970s stuff.’ They didn’t want to play here because of that. That aspect of it has changed. Kansas City is not considered a party town. There’s the weather. There are a lot of different aspects that have gone into it.

“But you’re right. A lot of it is going to be based on who is in that position that Carl Peterson’s in now.”

Cincinnati wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh has heard talk about the Chiefs but doesn’t know whether it’s true. He will be a potential free agent after the season and, while the Chiefs probably won’t make an effort to sign him, he said he would consider the Chiefs if they were interested.

The 3-11-1 Bengals have had one winning season in the last 18.

“I wouldn’t compare the two,” Houshmandzadeh said. “It’s very different. Kansas City’s had some good teams lately. They were consistently good. That’s a little different from what we’ve experienced here. We were a last resort for players when I got here.

“Nobody wanted to play for the Bengals. I don’t think it’s that way with the Chiefs.”

Molitoth
12-27-2008, 11:54 PM
You would be welcomed with open arms TJ... come on down.

TrickyNicky
12-27-2008, 11:56 PM
No kidding. Hell, TJ or Chad Johnson would be celebrated.

Hammock Parties
12-27-2008, 11:57 PM
The articles that will be coming out in the days following Carl's departure are going to be so sweet.

TrickyNicky
12-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Someone should tell Waters that the reason players and agents would be jumping up and down is we have $30M cap room.

The Bad Guy
12-28-2008, 12:01 AM
This is a pretty convincing article that everything with the Chiefs will change for the good.

Say what you want about Brian Waters, but the dude is brutally honest.

chiefzilla1501
12-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Someone should tell Waters that the reason players and agents would be jumping up and down is we have $30M cap room.

Waters' point validates a point I've made several times, but could never truly back it.

I've always wondered... why did Faine and Josh Brown skip their interview to KC, even though we made it clear that we were interested?

I'm more convinced now that they heard enough stories about KC to know that the meeting with Peterson would not end well.

KCTitus
12-28-2008, 12:03 AM
not suprising...for all the BS about a 'youth movement' and rebuilding...you dont give away a superstar 4th round pick DE. You just dont....I know that and Im not a GM for a NFL franchise.

The Bad Guy
12-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Waters' point validates a point I've made several times, but could never truly back it.

I've always wondered... why did Faine and Josh Brown skip their interview to KC, even though we made it clear that we were interested?

I'm more convinced now that they heard enough stories about KC to know that the meeting with Peterson would not end well.

Faine was from Tampa Bay. He went to high school there and had expressed an interest in going back to his home.

Brown wanted to kick in a dome and stick it to the Seahawks twice a year.

The Chiefs were really in no position to sign either because of variables they couldn't control.

I hate Carl Peterson as much as anyone, but he wasn't getting either of those guys.

chiefzilla1501
12-28-2008, 12:06 AM
not suprising...for all the BS about a 'youth movement' and rebuilding...you dont give away a superstar 4th round pick DE. You just dont....I know that and Im not a GM for a NFL franchise.

I'm torn on the Allen trade.

I was a huge, huge critic of it. And it should have never come to that. But I think the Chiefs lucked out and did okay. They traded a franchise DE for a potential franchise LT. If Albert becomes as good as many think he'll be, I think it makes the Allen trade a wash.

But I agree... should have never gotten to that point and I think the Chiefs lucked out... big time. If Albert was taken a few spots higher, it would have been one of the worst trades in Chiefs' history.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2008, 12:11 AM
If Allen wasnt a drunk idiot, the Chiefs would have paid him. Carl took care of the guys he drafted that were stars ie DT, Shields, Tony. They got a potential stud LT, a RB who has potential to be a game breaker and Gonzo's replacement. We were going to suck with Allen or not this year.

KCTitus
12-28-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm torn on the Allen trade.

I was a huge, huge critic of it. And it should have never come to that. But I think the Chiefs lucked out and did okay. They traded a franchise DE for a potential franchise LT. If Albert becomes as good as many think he'll be, I think it makes the Allen trade a wash.

But I agree... should have never gotten to that point and I think the Chiefs lucked out... big time. If Albert was taken a few spots higher, it would have been one of the worst trades in Chiefs' history.

Albert has done well, but still, the Chiefs are about to set an NFL worst for sacks this season. A 27 year old star on defense...something to build around, you just dont trade.

The switch to the spread offense has taken much of the pressure of the OL.

As much as I like Albert (a fan of UVA), I still cannot agree with the trade, if Herm was serious about the 'rebuild' movement. Trade Tony, but not Jared...if you rebuild, you trade away your aged Vets, not your young superstars.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2008, 12:19 AM
If Allen wasnt a drunk idiot, the Chiefs would have paid him.

Cop out.

Carl promised Allen he'd signed him long term if he stayed clean and he didn't.

He's a lying sack of shit.

Bowser
12-28-2008, 12:19 AM
This article simultaneously makes me smile and pisses me off. I smile hearing all the things about the Chiefs that we all basically knew to be true, and I'm pissed that the pussies at the Star waited until Carl's laast day on the job to throw his ass under the bus. It's been said a hundred times before - no way would this team get free passes and softball questions from reporters it does if it were in New York, or some other similarily larger market.

cdcox
12-28-2008, 12:21 AM
This article simultaneously makes me smile and pisses me off. I smile hearing all the things about the Chiefs that we all basically knew to be true, and I'm pissed that the pussies at the Star waited until Carl's laast day on the job to throw his ass under the bus. It's been said a hundred times before - no way would this team get free passes and softball questions from reporters it does if it were in New York, or some other similarily larger market.

Yuh huh.

chiefzilla1501
12-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Cop out.

Agreed.

Just as he promised Trent Green a swift trade.
Just as he promised Wesley he'd be cut and given a chance to look for a new job.
Just as he promised Gonzalez he would be traded.

There was a time when I think Peterson was loyal. But lately, there are too many incidents of players complaining about Peterson's tactics. I think he just got to the end of his rope and snapped.

Chiefaholic
12-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Just goes to show you that Clark Hunt wants to do whatever it takes to make this a competitive franchise. Carl put people's asses in the seats, which kept Lamar happy.While Clark is making all the right moves to get this franchise back on track and built in a manner to be competitive for years to come.

Bowser
12-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Just goes to show you that Clark Hunt wants to do whatever it takes to make this a competitive franchise. Carl put people's asses in the seats, which kept Lamar happy.While Clark is making all the right moves to get this franchise back on track and built in a manner to be competitive for years to come.

I really am liking what I'm hearing from Clark. This is going to be a fun offseason for Chiefs fans.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I really am liking what I'm hearing from Clark. This is going to be a fun offseason for Chiefs fans.

Just wait until the draft!

You thought the fifth pick was fun? We're going to JIZZ IN OUR PANTS!

Bowser
12-28-2008, 12:52 AM

I can see the meltdown clearly in my mind's eye....

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Cop out.

A football player from Los Gatos who drinks; boy there's a statistical anomaly...:rolleyes:

Cheers to Clark( so far )!

“Other things are changing. For one, (the Chiefs’ new practice) facility. There are a lot of players that came here on free-agent visits and they looked at the Arrowhead locker room and said, ‘This is 1970s stuff.’ They didn’t want to play here because of that.

Are you sure they weren't just looking at the uniforms?

Ah, Kansas City; where the 70's will never die. Fuck that; scorch everything and start over. Hurl everything between Stram and our incoming new HC in to the furnace where it belongs, and get that fucking "French's Mustard" off of my team colors.
:cuss:

BryanBusby
12-28-2008, 02:17 AM

The ChiefsPlanet server is going to have a melt down if Stafford is still on the board when the Chiefs are up on Draft day.

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2008, 02:23 AM
The ChiefsPlanet server is going to have a melt down if Stafford is still on the board when the Chiefs are up on Draft day.

or if he pulls an Elway/Eli to come to KC.

Rausch
12-28-2008, 02:24 AM
“Every organization is known for a little something,” Chiefs wide receiver Devard Darling said. “I’m not necessarily saying it’s because of Carl Peterson, but there are some negative things out there. I’m not going to say it outright, but there’s a word out there kind of like ‘Chiefs.’?”

That word is “cheap.”

True 'dat.

Pittsburgh has the same rep.

Of course, they also win, so...

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I can see the meltdown clearly in my mind's eye....

DCS crosses fingers:

"Bradford to Detroit", "Bradford to Detroit", "Bradford to Detroit", "Bradford to Detroit", "Bradford to Detroit", "Bradford to Detroit".

"Tebow to the Seminary", "Tebow to the Seminary", "Tebow to the Seminary",
"Tebow to the Seminary", "Tebow to the Seminary", "Tebow to the Seminary".

"McCoy stay in school", "McCoy stay in school", "McCoy stay in school", "McCoy stay in school", "McCoy stay in school", "McCoy stay in school".

If Stafford doesn't declare, or get's picked from the board before KC comes up:

"Mexican Mafia, Kill The Llama; Mark front and center", "Mexican Mafia, Kill The Llama; Mark front and center". "Mexican Mafia, Kill The Llama; Mark front and center"...:evil:

Hammock Parties
12-28-2008, 02:44 AM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8661/36arrowheadwelcome11228af5.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

Rausch
12-28-2008, 02:45 AM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8661/36arrowheadwelcome11228af5.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 02:46 AM

ROFL

You forgot "Under New Management"! :D

Hammock Parties
12-28-2008, 02:49 AM
It's from the star.

KCJohnny
12-28-2008, 03:01 AM
I am disappointed if that's the way the organiation is being run and the Chiefs have that kind of reputation around the NFL. All these years we were hearing what a class organization it was, etc...

A new day is dawning, however...

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Good bye Peterson. You piece of shit. HAIL CLARK!!!

These are exciting times for the Chiefs, and their fans. Can you imagine if Stafford is available for us? I WILL Jizz in my pants.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Good bye Peterson. You piece of shit. HAIL CLARK!!!

These are exciting times for the Chiefs, and their fans. Can you imagine if Stafford is available for us? I WILL Jizz in my pants.

No shit. I just hope we don't blow our load on one of the lesser wannabes if Matt get's taken; jeezus christ that would be 10 steps back from the get-go.

Think happy thoughts...

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 03:13 AM
No shit. I just hope we don't blow our load on one of the lesser wannabes if Matt get's taken; jeezus christ that would be 10 steps back from the get-go.

Think happy thoughts...

There's no one else to take at the 3rd spot.

kcxiv
12-28-2008, 03:14 AM
“Clark Hunt has made it very clear: It’s about the fans, and it’s about a competitive product. You’re going to see that throughout the organization.”

this

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 03:23 AM
There's no one else to take at the 3rd spot.

Explain please.

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Explain please.

I mean there's no other QB worth taking with the 3rd pick.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 03:39 AM
I mean there's no other QB worth taking with the 3rd pick.

To you and I, but that doesn't mean that Chiefs couldn't fuck it up.

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 03:47 AM
To you and I, but that doesn't mean that Chiefs couldn't **** it up.

I see a trend of better decisions that I can't ignore. The firing of Peterson gives me renewed hope in them doing the right thing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 03:52 AM
I see a trend of better decisions that I can't ignore. The firing of Peterson gives me renewed hope in them doing the right thing.

I hope so, but remember; if Detroit takes Matt, there's still two hype-monkeys in line behind him.

One with a Hypeman Trophy, and the other sporting a bright neon "Bust" sign above his head like a halo.

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 04:02 AM
I hope so, but remember; if Detroit takes Matt, there's still two hype-monkeys in line behind him.

One with a Hypeman Trophy, and the other sporting a bright neon "Bust" sign above his head like a halo.

PRAY that Detroit takes Bradford. There's a good chance they could do it. ROOT HARD for this guy in the NC game. If he plays excellent Detroit could fall in love, and set us up for the next decade.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 04:03 AM
PRAY that Detroit takes Bradford. There's a good chance they could do it. ROOT HARD for this guy in the NC game. If he plays excellent Detroit could fall in love, and set us up for the next decade.

You know I will!

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2008, 04:23 AM

From what I have been reading Detroit is on the fence with OT/QB for the top pick, I believe they will go after Cassell

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 04:32 AM
From what I have been reading Detroit is on the fence with OT/QB for the top pick, I believe they will go after Cassell

I love you for just giving me a hopeful thought for today.

I will absolutely be crushed if we pass him if he's available. But with the way Clark talked about getting a young franchise QB, and his penchant for living up to his word as of late, I believe we'll pull the trigger.

BryanBusby
12-28-2008, 04:43 AM
I could see the Lions overpaying for Cassel and drafting Eugene Monroe with the top pick and Chris Wells with the 2nd first if he happens to still be on the board.

Going 0-16 will likely make for desperation moves to win asap.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 05:18 AM
I love you for just giving me a hopeful thought for today.

I will absolutely be crushed if we pass him if he's available. But with the way Clark talked about getting a young franchise QB, and his penchant for living up to his word as of late, I believe we'll pull the trigger.

How weird would it be to have a QB that wears #7, looks like Elway, and kicks Denver's ass for 15 years?

I could get behind that.

the Talking Can
12-28-2008, 05:47 AM
Carl's done so much damage....we never had a chance....

what a depressing fucking read

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Carl's done so much damage....we never had a chance....

what a depressing ****ing read

His firing is quite the anti-depressant.

MikeMaslowski
12-28-2008, 05:57 AM
No kidding. Hell, TJ or Chad Johnson would be celebrated.

I hope everyone else ignored this post because they understand your incredible sarcasm and I just haven't caught on yet.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 06:06 AM
His firing is quite the anti-depressant.

Word.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Cop out.

The guy is not even off the payroll yet, and all the ugly dirt is starting to surface.

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 06:13 AM
The guy is not even off the payroll yet, and all the ugly dirt is starting to surface.

Carl is about to burden 100% of the chief futility. Hee he he.

Otter
12-28-2008, 06:14 AM
There's a town in western PA named Johnstown. The moment you drive into that town you can tell that once the late 70s or very early 80s passed, Johnstown put it's foot down and said 'we're not changing one bit'. I'd be lying if I had an answer to why they took this stance. I'm familiar with it because I did my first internship Johnstown in the late '97 as a COBOL programmer.

Neat little tidbit - Johnstown, PA is where "Slapshot" was filled by the way. If you've ever seen the movie and took notice of the buildings, how people dress and talk - it's not much different today.

Fast forwarding a bit in life…

Since that internship I've moved on to more mainstream aspects of the IT world that have allowed me to visit much of the world. KC and Milwaukee being two of the main cities I've visited many times over. Kansas City never struck me as Manhattan or Boston (this is a good thing in MHO BTW) but it also never struck me as a town caught in the past like mentioned above either. KC always reminded me of Pittsburgh in almost every way. Those two towns are opposite sides of the same coin in almost every way.

But when it comes to the Chiefs they always reminded me of Johnstown and the way that hockey team was run. Crusty old, think headed people at the top who had the game pass them by who no one will make budge. Meanwhile everyone around them knew something was wrong but would keep supporting the team no matter how bad they sucked or how bad their decisions were.

I don't know where I'm going with this, it's early and I may still be somewhat drunk but Good Lord KC, stop supporting something just because it's the way things were or what you are used to seeing and dealing with for the sake of being comfortable.

Change can be good and it's well past time. Don't become Johnstown if only for my selfish interests that everyone in PA who hear me saying "the Chiefs are a good team".

EVOLVE!!!!

If that makes no sense I'm sorry but I guess you might have had to been in Johnstown and followed the Chiefs since 1997.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Carl is about to burden 100% of the chief futility. Hee he he.

You've heard/read some of the players opinions now that they aren't under fear of the guy. It's gonna' be so fucking dark and unfathomable when his TRUE fuck-ups and vanity hit the streets.

High Hate-Drama to the 100th-power.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-28-2008, 06:24 AM
There's a town in western PA named Johnstown. The moment you drive into that town you can tell that once the late 70s or very early 80s passed, Johnstown put it's foot down and said 'we're not changing one bit'. I'd be lying if I had an answer to why they took this stance. I'm familiar with it because I did my first internship Johnstown in the late '97 as a COBOL programmer.

Neat little tidbit - Johnstown, PA is where "Slapshot" was filled by the way. If you've ever seen the movie and took notice of the buildings, how people dress and talk - it's not much different today.

Fast forwarding a bit in life…

Since that internship I've moved on to more mainstream aspects of the IT world that have allowed me to visit much of the world. KC and Milwaukee being two of the main cities I've visited many times over. Kansas City never struck me as Manhattan or Boston (this is a good thing in MHO BTW) but it also never struck me as a town caught in the past like mentioned above either. KC always reminded me of Pittsburgh in almost every way. Those two towns are opposite sides of the same coin in almost every way.

But when it comes to the Chiefs they always reminded me of Johnstown and the way that hockey team was run. Crusty old, think headed people at the top who had the game pass them by who no one will make budge. Meanwhile everyone around them knew something was wrong but would keep supporting the team no matter how bad they sucked or how bad their decisions were.

I don't know where I'm going with this, it's early and I may still be somewhat drunk but Good Lord KC, stop supporting something just because it's the way things were or what you are used to seeing and dealing with for the sake of being comfortable.

Change can be good and it's well past time. Don't become Johnstown if only for my selfish interests that everyone in PA who hear me saying "the Chiefs are a good team".

EVOLVE!!!!

If that makes no sense I'm sorry but I guess you might have had to been in Johnstown and followed the Chiefs since 1997.

:clap:

And get that fucking "French's Mustard" and "Pele"-socks off of my team now.

Otter
12-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Before I get going and won't be on the planet for awhile - Johnstown Chiefs are a real hockey team. I'm not blurring reality and fiction....yet. Give me a couple years.

http://www.johnstownchiefs.com/

Jerm
12-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Wow that's a pretty scathing article on Peterson...harsh words from Waters and Darling, albeit the truth.

It'll be nice when we're back to being a place people want to come to, not avoid.

CoMoChief
12-28-2008, 07:49 AM

totally agree. thats how championship teams are built is when you hit on 2nd day guys

milkman
12-28-2008, 08:09 AM
:clap:

And get that ****ing "French's Mustard" and "Pele"-socks off of my team now.

Just shut the hell up.
There is nothing wrong with the Cheifs uniforms.
They are among the best in the NFL.

blueballs
12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
The Peterson ran Chiefs dismantled and WI discredited with one line
The 3-11-1 Bengals have had one winning season in the last 18.
Tiecher is on a roll today

The Bad Guy
12-28-2008, 09:50 AM
I could see the Lions overpaying for Cassel and drafting Eugene Monroe with the top pick and Chris Wells with the 2nd first if he happens to still be on the board.

Going 0-16 will likely make for desperation moves to win asap.

The Lions have a good young RB in Kevin Smith.

The Lions need defensive players. I could see them taking Monroe, and then going hard after a linebacker with their second pick.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Albert has done well, but still, the Chiefs are about to set an NFL worst for sacks this season. A 27 year old star on defense...something to build around, you just dont trade.

The switch to the spread offense has taken much of the pressure of the OL.

As much as I like Albert (a fan of UVA), I still cannot agree with the trade, if Herm was serious about the 'rebuild' movement. Trade Tony, but not Jared...if you rebuild, you trade away your aged Vets, not your young superstars.
Titus and I agree on something!

Mr. Laz
12-28-2008, 10:14 AM
of course none of the media had the nads to write stuff BEFORE carl left.

penguinz
12-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Just shut the hell up.
There is a lot wrong with the Cheifs uniforms.
They are among the worst in the NFL.
FYP

Chief77
12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Finally, we start to hear about why Carl and this organization has done so terribly in free agency. Just like some of the guys we wanted early this year, but they didn't give us a chance(the center that went to Tampa). It sounds like Clark is now aware of how crappy and unfriendly this organization has been run, and he is going to try and change that. Hopefully the new GM can bring in a competent coaching staff and this franchise will pull itself out of the crap the last few years have been.