PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cowher tells Brown no thanks.

Hoover
12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Interesting development.

12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Interesting development.He is still a steeler at heart. I can see him not wanting that job over the rivalry alone.

Bowser
12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
He is still a steeler at heart. I can see him not wanting that job over the rivalry alone.

Yep.

Hoover
12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree. I can see the Jets making a big push for him.

Tribal Warfare
He is still a steeler at heart. I can see him not wanting that job over the rivalry alone.

He played for the Browns when Marty was their

talastan
Is it he doesn't want to coach the Browns, or doesn't want to coach at all?

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2008, 10:59 AM

He doesn't want coach, he likes his CBS job.

dirk digler
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/cowher_tells_browns_hes_not_in.html

Lerner said he met with Cowher in New York.
"I got word that he was available for an informal conversation because he was very aware I had him at the top of the list, getting involved with the Browns," Lerner said. "He wanted to tell me personally that he did not anticipate coaching in 2009. I wouldn't say Bill Cowher was the first choice, but I would say Cowher was the clear, no-questions-asked, guy you wanted to ask where he stood."

He played for the Browns when Marty was theirYeah, I see your point, but I would think that 15 years as head coach would change the allegiance.

BigChiefFan
That certainly didn't stop Marty from going to San Diego. I just think seeing how Savage was handled is enough to make anybody think twice about that job.

12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
That certainly didn't stop Marty from going to San Diego. I just think seeing how Savage was handled is enough to make anybody think twice about that job.SD was hardly a rival. And Bill is not the same as Marty.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:08 AM
SD was hardly a rival. And Bill is not the same as Marty.SD isn't a rival? GTFO.

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
That certainly didn't stop Marty from going to San Diego. I just think seeing how Savage was handled is enough to make anybody think twice about that job.

Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in KC as Cowher is in Pittsburgh.

12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
SD isn't a rival? GTFO.They are in the AFCW but they ARE ?NOT the Faiders or Donkeys. Never have been and never will be.

Hoover
12-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Marty didn't go from the Chiefs to the Chargers, he got f'ed by the Skins first.

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Marty didn't go from the Chiefs to the Chargers, he got f'ed by the Skins first.

If by "f'ed", you mean got paid millions of dollars to do nothing, I agree.

Micjones
12-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Those close to him at CBS have said that he likely won't come back to coaching until 2010.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in KC as Cowher is in Pittsburgh.Yea, right, that's why so many are clamoring for Marty now. I don't buy that for one moment.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Regardless, if Marty went to the Skins prior to the Chargers doesn't make the point any less relevant or did you forget, that Cowher hasn't been coaching the Steelers the past two years?

Mr. Laz
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
He doesn't want coach, he likes his CBS job.
this would be my first guess

Hoover
12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Marty never won a SB for the Chiefs. While it hurt when he went to the Chargers, it would have been much worse if he would have quit the Chiefs, then to the Chargers. It would have killed if he had won a Super Bowl for the Chiefs before leaving.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Marty never won a SB for the Chiefs. While it hurt when he went to the Chargers, it would have been much worse if he would have quit the Chiefs, then to the Chargers. It would have killed if he had won a Super Bowl for the Chiefs before leaving.

He went to the skins for mucho millions...

It hurt that he went to the Chargers? ROFL Why did it hurt? He ripped their hearts out just like he did the city of KC... Marty didnt do anything worth Hurting about...

Chiefnj2
12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
He built a contender in the AFC West. That hurts KC.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
He built a contender in the AFC West. That hurts KC.

He failed like normal in his playoff appearances... That was funny to KC...

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Yea, right, that's why so many are clamoring for Marty now. I don't buy that for one moment.

It's about 50-50 at best. Do you think that's how they'd feel in Pittsburgh about Cowher coming back?

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:27 AM
He built a contender in the AFC West. That hurts KC.I guess some of the fans didn't get the memo, that San Diego has been better than us the past few years.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
It's about 50-50 at best. Do you think that's how they'd feel in Pittsburgh about Cowher coming back?

I dont know, but their QB wasnt a big fan of Cowher and Tomlin is doing an nice job building a franchise without looking like Marty Jr......

BigRedChief
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
ESPN's Mortenson is saying that Cowher turned down Clevland but will listen to other offers to coach in 2009.

Reerun_KC
I guess some of the fans didn't get the memo, that San Diego has been better than us the past few years.

And won as many playoff games as we have prior to Norvs arrival...

Reerun_KC
ESPN's Mortenson is saying that Cowher turned down Clevland but will listen to other offers to coach in 2009.

:banghead:

That isnt good news for the Chief fans...

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
I dont know, but their QB wasnt a big fan of Cowher and Tomlin is doing an nice job building a franchise without looking like Marty Jr......

Not really relevant to what I said.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Not really relevant to what I said.

So you think they would want back Cowher?

I dont, his act was running thin in Pitt before he got Big Ben and won the big game (with some officals sweet help).

Why would they want to go back to Cowher in any capacity?

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Yea, I'd say that's about right. They are still winning without him.
Also, he's only been gone TWO YEARS, Marty's been gone for 10 plus and yet he's still clamored for. You said Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in Kansas City as Cowher is in Pitt- and I again, don't believe that for one second.

Arguing, Cowher did more for Pitt than Marty did in KC is a different matter, and one I would agree with, but that's not what you said.

DTLB58
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Oh? That's not what I heard....Mort reported Cowher told the Browns no and said he would NOT coach anywhere in 2009 as he liked his lifestyle he has now.

Mort did go on to say however, that he would still like to hear that come from Cowher publicly.

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
So you think they would want back Cowher?

I dont, his act was running thin in Pitt before he got Big Ben and won the big game (with some officals sweet help).

Why would they want to go back to Cowher in any capacity?

Fans in Pittsbugh would take back Cowher in a heartbeat. It would be a landslide. But that's not really what was being talked about.

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Yea, I'd say that's about right. They are still winning without him.
Also, he's only been gone TWO YEARS, Marty's been gone for 10 plus and yet he's still clamored for. You said Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in Kansas City as Cowher is in Pitt- and I again, don't believe that for one second.

Arguing, Cowher did more for Pitt than Marty did in KC is a different matter, and one I would agree with, but that's not what you said.

Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in KC as Cowher is in Pittsburgh. It's a joke that you'd even try to compare the two.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in KC as Cowher is in Pittsburgh. It's a joke that you'd even try to compare the two.
Just because you disagree, doesn't make me wrong. Sorry, Marty is an ICON in KC, whether you realize it or not.

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Just because you disagree, doesn't make me wrong. Sorry, Marty is an ICON in KC, whether you realize it or not.

Sure he's an ICON. An ICON of futility.

Frazod
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM

I honestly don't know if I'd want Cowher even if he'd take the job. Yeah, he won the big one - if you can call being the beneficiary of the most bent officiating in Super Bowl history a win - but more often, he took teams overloaded with talent and ran them into the ground.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Marty isn't the same level of sports hero in KC as Cowher is in Pittsburgh. It's a joke that you'd even try to compare the two.No, it's a joke that you think nobody in Kansas City compares other coaches to Marty.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Sure he's an ICON. An ICON of futility.
Dude, don't confuse me with the masses. I don't consider him great, but acting like many don't is fucking foolish.

triple
12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
marty can be a Parcells for us if he wants to. as GM or head coach - NO

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
marty can be a Parcells for us if he wants to. as GM or head coach - NO
I rest my case.

Brock
12-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I rest my case.

That's some amazing extrapolation.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
That's some amazing extrapolation.
It was a fan backing Marty, thus helping further my point-I wouldn't expect you to actually ACKNOWLEDGE that-that would mean, you have to admit fault-something I can't see you doing anytime soon. Again, I'm not in the camp that thinks Marty is a God, but acting like many in KC don't act that way is foolish. I see it EVERY DAY-hell it happens on this very site on a routine basis-sorry you can't see-you might want to have that looked at.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
It was a fan backing Marty, thus helping further my point-I wouldn't expect you to actually ACKNOWLEDGE that-that would mean, you have to admit fault-something I can't see you doing anytime soon. Again, I'm not in the camp that thinks Marty is a God, but acting like many in KC don't act that way is foolish. I see it EVERY DAY-hell it happens on this very site on a routine basis-sorry you can't see-you might want to have that looked at.

Only in your mind does a single post on an internet message board prove the mindset of the fans in KC. That's the most backassward thinking I've seen yet today.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Only in your mind does a single post on an internet message board prove the mindset of the fans in KC. That's the most backassward thinking I've seen yet today.Yes, Brock I'm basing it ALL , SOLELY on that single post. No decade of posts and articles, and reports and discussing with people-nope just that single post. Your clutching at straws now.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes, Brock I'm basing it ALL , SOLELY on that single post. No decade of posts and articles, and reports and discussing with people-nope just that single post. Your clutching at straws now.

I'm not the one pointing at a single post and saying "I rest my case", which is just a weak way of saying "I can't prove anything and I want out of the argument". You could at least post a poll, as unscientific as that would be.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Tomlin is doing an okay job. He installed a spread offense which most fans believe was a HUGE mistake. Talk to any Steelers fan--they despise their offense. Their offensive line has gone from solid to atrocious.

And Tomlin is working mostly with Cowher's used parts. Apart from Lamar Woodley (who's awesome) and Hartwig, what impact player wasn't developed under Cowher?

I like Tomlin. But he's got a very long way before Steelers' fans even remotely compare him to Cowher. They wouldn't fire Tomlin because that would be unfair to him, but let's not pretend that they're doing the same thing. We've seen this game before. Bill Callahan made a Super Bowl with Gruden's used parts, Herm Edwards made the playoffs with Vermeil's used parts. You never know what a coach is made of until he develops his own team. Cowher's done it many times, Tomlin hasn't done that yet.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I honestly don't know if I'd want Cowher even if he'd take the job. Yeah, he won the big one - if you can call being the beneficiary of the most bent officiating in Super Bowl history a win - but more often, he took teams overloaded with talent and ran them into the ground.

But he's only fielded 3 teams under .500 in 15 seasons.

And when you say that his teams were overloaded with talent, I would argue that he had a big role in that, wouldn't you? Cowher is a really, really good coach. He's taken his team deep into the playoffs and the Super Bowl with changeovers at key positions, many different coordinators, etc....

jAZ
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM

I think Cower is actually FROM Pittsburgh. Unlike Marty and KC.

Frazod
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
But he's only fielded 3 teams under .500 in 15 seasons.

And when you say that his teams were overloaded with talent, I would argue that he had a big role in that, wouldn't you? Cowher is a really, really good coach. He's taken his team deep into the playoffs and the Super Bowl with changeovers at key positions, many different coordinators, etc....

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but he's not the Great White Hope. I think he's just Marty II with a bit more playoff luck.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm not the one pointing at a single post and saying "I rest my case", which is just a weak way of saying "I can't prove anything and I want out of the argument". You could at least post a poll, as unscientific as that would be. Again, Marty is treated like an ICON in KC, whether you want to acknowledge that or not is on you, not me.
Your splitting hairs about who's more popular Marty or Cowher-you've turned into a popularity contest and I could give two shits about that. I know how Marty is viewed by the masses, I don't need a fucking poll, to tell me what I already know. Besides that, without having as many Steeler fans as Chiefs fans, I'm certain the poll would be seriously flawed and hardly worth the effort to put out, but just tell yourself, Marty isn't an icon in KC-that'll make you feel better, even though, you are wrong. Take comfort in knowing the argument is fucking lame in the first place and you just want to get in someone's face, because you can't dare be wrong.

Yep, Marty is an unknown in these parts-yep, sure thing.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I think Cower is actually FROM Pittsburgh. Unlike Marty and KC.
He's from North Carolina.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Again, Marty is treated like an ICON in KC, whether you want to acknowledge that or not is on you, not me.
Your splitting hairs about who's more popular Marty or Cowher-you've turned into a popularity contest and I could give two shits about that. I know how Marty is viewed by the masses, I don't need a ****ing poll, to tell me what I already know. Besides that, without having as many Steeler fans as Chiefs fans, I'm certain the poll would be seriously flawed and hardly worth the effort to put out, but just tell yourself, Marty isn't an icon in KC-that'll make you feel better, even though, you are wrong. Take comfort in knowing the argument is ****ing lame in the first place and you just want to get in someone's face, because you can't dare be wrong.

Yep, Marty is an unknown in these parts-yep, sure thing.

A nice, wordy response saying essentially nothing to prove your point, followed by a straw man statement in a weak attempt to discredit. You must be a republican.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
He's from North Carolina.

No, he isn't. He was born and raised in a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Coach
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM

I thought he was from NC, until I looked up his bio, and I was wrong. He did go to school at NCSU (North Carolina State University) and his wife also went to NCSU.

They currently reside in NC though. If I recall, I think their children went/are going to school in NCSU, but I can be wrong on this.

12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
No, he isn't. He was born and raised in a suburb of Pittsburgh.He has some kind of tie to Carolina though. They always talk about it. Is it his wife maybe?

Bowser
12-29-2008, 12:35 PM
He has some kind of tie to Carolina though. They always talk about it. Is it his wife maybe?

Maybe, and I'm pretty sure one of his kids go to UNC. I remember hearing they were building some palatial estate there.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:35 PM
A nice, wordy response saying essentially nothing to prove your point, followed by a straw man statement in a weak attempt to discredit. You must be a republican.In other words, you won't do anything yourself to disprove what I say, but you'll pile on in an attempt be the board bully. Color me unimpressed. Everybody bow down to Brock and his fragile ego.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
In other words, you won't do anything yourself to disprove what I say, but you'll pile on in an attempt be the board bully. Color me unimpressed. Everybody bow down to Brock and his fragile ego.

Awww, are you being picked on by "the board bully"? This must be step 3, "Turn the losing argument personal".

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Awww, are you being picked on by "the board bully"? This must be step 3, "Turn the losing argument personal".Yes, let's make it about a fucking high school popularity contest-one that neither one of us can prove, but you must be right, because you said so.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm talking about NOW. He lives in Carolina.

Bowser
12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Guys! Guys! GUYS!

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0cVlTeIATBs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0cVlTeIATBs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, let's make it about a ****ing high school popularity contest-one that neither one of us can prove, but you must be right, because you said so.

I haven't said one thing about you personally. I don't really need to prove that a Super Bowl winning coach who grew up in the city he won it for is probably much, much, much more important to that city than a coach who never won anything of note for KC.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm talking about NOW. He lives in Carolina.

Where he lives now is irrelevant.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I haven't said one thing about you personally. I don't really need to prove that a Super Bowl winning coach who grew up in the city he won it for is probably much, much, much more important to that city than a coach who never won anything of note for KC.You underestimate the KC hillbilly faithful.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Where he lives now is irrelevant.No, it isn't because it explains why I said that.

Brock
12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
No, it isn't because it explains why I said that.

Not really, because you were responding to Jaz's point about Cowher being from Pittsburgh.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Not really, because you were responding to Jaz's point about Cowher being from Pittsburgh.So now you know what other's think, too? Okay, Brockie. When somebody says where are you from? Don't you typically tell them where you curently live? I know, I do.

Kyle DeLexus
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I think Brock has this on lockdown. He's not saying Marty is or wasn't popular like you seem to be arguing, he's just saying that Cowher means more to Pittsburgh, I know a lot of Steeler fans that love Cowher and I think the entire city would welcome him back with open arms. Here in KC we have a few lobbying for Marty but I think the majority are in the bring in a new look camp. That is not "icon" status, to reach that you'd need an overwhelming majority to support the idea of bringing you back.

# Name Term Regular season Playoffs Awards Reference
GC W L T Win% GC W L
Dallas Texans
1 Hank Stram*[a] 1960–1962 42 27 17 0 .642 1 0 1 [12]
Kansas City Chiefs
— Hank Stram*[a] 1963–1974 164 97 57 10 .607 7 4 2 UPI AFL Coach of the Year (1968)[13]
Pro Football Weekly AFL Coach of the Year (1968)[13] [12]
2 Paul Wiggin† 1975–1977 35 11 24 0 .314 — — — [14]
3 Tom Bettis† 1977[b] 7 1 6 0 .143 — — — [15]
4 Marv Levy* 1978–1982 73 31 42 0 .425 — — — [16]
5 John Mackovic† 1983–1986 64 30 34 0 .469 1 0 1 [17]
6 Frank Gansz† 1987–1988 31 8 22 1 .274 — — — [18]
7 Marty Schottenheimer 1989–1998 160 101 58 1 .634 10 2 7 UPI NFL Coach of the Year (1995)[13] [19]
8 Gunther Cunningham† 1999–2000 32 16 16 0 .500 — — — [20]
9 Dick Vermeil 2001–2005 80 44 36 0 .550 1 0 1 Maxwell Football Club NFL Coach of the Year (2003)[13] [8]
10 Herman Edwards 2006–present 48 15 33 0 .319 1 0 1 [21]

That is why Marty is still the standard when comparing current coaches he had the greatest winning percentage of all KC Chiefs coaches...a big reason he is not an "icon" is the 2-7 record in the playoffs

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
He played for the Browns when Marty was theirHe was Special Teams and Secondary coach under Marty in Cleveland.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Cleveland Browns
1985 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1985)
AFC Divisional Playoff
Dolphins 24, Browns 21 (Lost by 3 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1985-86)
The Browns led 21-3 midway through the 3rd quarter, but Miami then scored 21 unanswered points. The winning TD came with 1:57 left to play. I surmise that Marty tried to sit on his team’s lead, which lead to their demise.
1986 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1986-87)
AFC Divisional Playoff
Browns 23, Jets 20 (OT) (Barely squeaked that game out with a FG in OT)
AFC Conference Championship
Broncos 23, Browns 20 (OT) (Lost by 3 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1986-87)
This game is best remembered for "The Drive" when the Broncos drove 98 yards to tie the game with 37 seconds left in regulation. The Browns then lost by a FG in overtime.
1987 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1987)
AFC Divisional Playoff
Browns 38, Colts 21 (Good win)
Broncos 38, Browns 33 (Lost by 5 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1987-88)
This game is best remembered for "The Fumble" when Browns running back Earnest Byner fumbled at the Broncos' 3-yard line with 65 seconds remaining.
After the Browns only scored 3 points in the first half, they nearly made a miraculous comeback by scoring 21 points in the 3rd quarter and 9 points in the 4th quarter. Apparently the Browns had the firepower to score points, so where was it in the first half? My guess, Marty Ball wasn’t working in the first half, and like many times in his long career, he was forced to give the QB the keys to the car, after running it into a ditch, where the QB is forced to drive it like a Ferrari, and Kosar nearly bailed the team out.
Side note: Broncos lost by 32 points (42-10) against the Redskins in the Super Bowl
1988 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1988)
AFC Wild Card Round
Oilers 24, Browns 23 (Lost by 1 point) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1988-89)
The Cleveland Browns were down 21-16 in the 4th quarter, when the Browns QB Pagel threw an interception that lead to an Oilers FG. This broadened the Oilers lead from 5 to 8. QB Pagel responded by throwing a TD to Slaughter towards the end of the game, which closed the gap to only 1 point. You might be asking "Why didn't Marty go for the 2-point conversion?" The 2-point conversion, unfortunate for Marty, was not added to the NFL rules until 1994 (http://www.steelersfever.com/nfl_history_of_rules.html). Marty Schottenheimer resigned on December 27, 1988, due to a dispute with Team Owner Art Modell.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Kansas City Chiefs
1989 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1989) - Did not make playoffs
1990 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1990)
AFC Wild Card Round
Dolphins 17, Chiefs 16 (Lost by 1 point) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1990-91)
The Chiefs were up 16-3 going into the 4th quarter. Marty tried to run out the clock, but gave up 14 uncontested points in the 4th quarter, which led to another playoff loss for Marty Schottenheimer.
1991 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1991)
AFC Wild Card Round
Chiefs 10, Raiders 6 (Won by 4 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1991-92)
Steve DeBerg's 11-yard TD pass to Fred Jones and a Lowery FG is all it took for the Chiefs to beat the Raiders, since the Raiders only scored two FG's.
AFC Divisional Playoffs
Bills 37, Chiefs 14 (Lost by 23 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1991-92)
The Chiefs got shut out in the first half. The two TD’s scored by the Browns in the second half were not nearly enough to overcome scoring 0 points in the first half.
1992 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1992)
Chargers 17, Chiefs 0 (Lost by 17 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1992-93)
Shut out by the Chargers http://forums.chargers.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
1993 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1993)
AFC Wild Card Round
Chiefs 27, Steelers 24 (OT) (Won by a FG in OT)
AFC Divisional Playoffs
Chiefs 28, Oilers 20 (Won by 8 points)
After scoring 0 points in the first half, and only 7 points in the 3rd quarter, the Chiefs had a remarkable change of pace by scoring 21 points in the 4th quarter.
Bills 30, Chiefs 13 (Lost by 17 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1993-94)
Chiefs got destroyed.
1994 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1994)
AFC Wild Card Round
Dolphins 27, Chiefs 17 (Lost by 10 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1994-95)
The Chiefs scored 17 points in the 1st half, but in the 2nd half they turned the ball over twice and scored 0 points. So, while tied 17-17 after the 1st half, they ended up losing 27-17.
1995 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1995)
Colts* 10, Chiefs 7 (Lost by 3 points)* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1995-96)
The Chiefs lost four turnovers and missed three field goals enroute to a loss. Considered one of the biggest NFL playoff upsets of the 90's. The Chiefs scored a TD in the 1st quarter, and did not score another point for the rest of the game.
*The Chargers put up a much better fight against the Colts in the AFC Wild Card Round, losing to the Colts 20-35.
1996 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1996) - Did not make playoffs
1997 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1997)
AFC Divisional Playoffs
Broncos*14, Chiefs 10 (Lost by 4 points) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1997-98)
The Chiefs scored 0 points in the 1st half. They scored 10 points in the 3rd quarter, which gave them a 3 point lead going into the 4th quarter. In the 4th quarter, the Chiefs scored 0 points and gave up 1 TD, which lead to a 4th quarter loss.
1998 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1998) - Did not make playoffs

Not a head coach in the NFL
1999 (http://www.chargers.com/team/coachstat_schottenheimer.cfm)
2000 (http://www.chargers.com/team/coachstat_schottenheimer.cfm)

Washington Redskins
2001 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/2001) - Did not make playoffs

San Diego Chargers
2002 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/2002) - Did not make playoffs
2003 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/2003) - Did not make playoffs
2004 (http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/2004)
AFC Wild Card Roud
Chargers 17, Jets* 20 (OT) (Lost by FG in OT) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_2004-05)
*Jets lost to Steelers 17-20 in AFC Divisional Playoffs.
After employing a dynamic offense during the regular season, the Chargers turned into another team. They uncharacteristically became very conservative and predictable in their play calling. During the regular season they employed multiple WR sets and shotgun formations, but against the Jets in the playoffs, the formation of choice was the I-Formation. The Chargers lost by a FG in Overtime. Some Chargers fans are confused where the change of identity came from, while others are sure that it was from the head coach: Marty “Marty Ball” Schottenheimer.

2006 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29189&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=POST19)
AFC Divisional Playoffs
Chargers 21, Patriots 24 (Lost by a FG) (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29189&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=POST19)
After leading the team to a 14-2 record against a weak schedule, he had Home Field advantage guaranteed throughout the playoffs. Despite that, Marty failed in the playoffs again.
In week 17, Philip Rivers injured his ankle, and Marty continued to play him. After another one and done playoff loss, Rivers said that he wouldn't have been able to play another game anyways, due to his injured ankle. For me and others, it seemed like very poor judgment to continue to play an injured Rivers in week 17 with the playoffs clinched.
Due to pressure from the players, Marty agreed not to get involved with the play calling in the playoffs. He made critical mistakes anyways: throwing red flags that had no chance of resulting in an over-turned call; telling Cam, the Offensive Coordinator, to go for it on 4th and 11; and other bad decisions. The Chargers were given an opportunity to make a last minute drive to tie or win, but Marty had already used up the time outs by throwing red flags. Although Marty's role was limited, he was able to impact the team in a negative way.
The Patriots barely squeezed into the playoffs, making it as a Wild Card team.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Borrowed those posts from a Chargers Fan.....

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
That playoff read was interesting, it didnt come from teary eyed true fans, but an outside perspective that had experienced Marty..