PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Holthus .... search to go WELL into January

Mr. Laz
12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
would be shocked if search doesn't last for another couple of weeks.

on 810

Mecca
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Yea I just heard that then he implied a week after that which would be February...that's not good.

blueballs
12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
playoffs
playoffs

KC kid
12-29-2008, 05:11 PM
playoffs
playoffs

Good thing we did not wait until after the season to fire Carl.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm beginning to think Holthus doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I certainly don't think he's privy to executive decisions. He's a fucking announcer for God's sake.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Good thing we did not wait until after the season to fire Carl.
yea ... i know

i posted a thread about it awhile back.

firing Carl in the middle of the season was nothing but a PR move or Carl and Clark got into a fight.

unless Clark had a guy ready to go, firing Carl that early was meaningless crap.

HC_Chief
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm beginning to think Holthus doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I certainly don't think he's privy to executive decisions. He's a ****ing announcer for God's sake.

Welcome to the club.

I can't stand the guy. And what's with the stupid f*cking nicknames? "The Centaur"?! Are you #&*$%ing kidding me?

kcxiv
12-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Or Clark wants someone thats already in the play offs. IF he has someone in mind then i am all for it.

HC_Chief
12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Or Clark wants someone thats already in the play offs. IF he has someone in mind then i am all for it.

Chris Polian? :hmmm:

Bowser
Mitch - "I don't know shit, and I'm good with that". (i.e. - I know what Clark has planned, but I'm not saying a word for fear of pissing off Clark)

Mr. Laz
meh ..... Holthus prolly lost any juice he had when Carl got the boot.

shall i bump my "Holthus cryin' ... " thread from before so we can see all the defenders of Mitch.

beavis
12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the club.

I can't stand the guy. And what's with the stupid f*cking nicknames? "The Centaur"?! Are you #&*$%ing kidding me?

I guess you and I are in the minority, because I can't stand him either. He'd be ok during the games if he would cut out that stupid crap.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Chris Polian? :hmmm:De Costa.;)

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Chris Polian? :hmmm:

Marc Ross

OnTheWarpath15
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Why is this shocking to anyone?

If he wants to hire someone from a playoff team, then the hire will likely be delayed. You can't hire someone until their season has ended.

So, Polian, DeCosta, anyone from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Tennessee - there's a good possibility a hire won't be made for a few weeks.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Well now Holthus is saying they should take a QB with that 3rd pick.

bowener
12-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't know what the hurry is. We want the right guy, and that may take time. Its not like waiting around is going to make Herm look any more appealing to a GM candidate. The records are in the books, and Herm has nothing to show for himself.

If Polian comes here, would he have trouble canning Herm due to his connection to Dungy?

Also, if we assume Herm stays, Gun is still gone for good, right?

BigChiefFan
12-29-2008, 05:26 PM

If he wants to hire someone from a playoff team, then the hire will likely be delayed. You can't hire someone until their season has ended.

So, Polian, DeCosta, anyone from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Tennessee - there's a good possibility a hire won't be made for a few weeks. I know. I made the same comment earlier and it just seems to fall on deaf ears.

Jerm
12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
The problem is that if you wait around, other potential HC candidates are going to be going to be gone with the all the openings and then you're stuck with Herm.

Just makes zero sense to me not to fire him now...no GM is going to come in here and keep him, not happening.

HC_Chief
I know. I made the same comment earlier and it just seems to fall on deaf ears.

Three turds got dropped off at the pool today; fans around here are ravenous for a fourth. Can't say I blame them, but I'm in the same camp as you: take the time to do it right, not right now.

Bowser
I, for one, am just anxious to see this team start heading the right direction. I certainly understand, though, if Clark has indeed targeted future execs and coaches from teams that are in the playoff race right now.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I know. I made the same comment earlier and it just seems to fall on deaf ears.
huh?

HC_Chief
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
huh?

<h1> HE SAID "I know. I made the same comment earlier and it just seems to fall on deaf ears."</h1>

:D

OnTheWarpath15
12-29-2008, 05:32 PM
The problem is that if you wait around, other potential HC candidates are going to be going to be gone with the all the openings and then you're stuck with Herm.

Just makes zero sense to me not to fire him now...no GM is going to come in here and keep him, not happening.

What part of this do you people not understand?

Any coach worth a shit is in the same boat - they cannot take a job until their current team's season ends.

We're not missing out on anyone by "waiting" - matter of fact, the fact that we haven't rushed out and hired some retread that is currently available tells me that Clark is after one of the big names.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Yea I just heard that then he implied a week after that which would be February...that's not good.

2+1 != 5

Hoover
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM

So, Polian, DeCosta, anyone from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Tennessee - there's a good possibility a hire won't be made for a few weeks.
I agree.

I have no problem with it taking a couple weeks. I'd rather make sure we get the right guy, than to just name someone quickly. Plus all of the people who cringe at Marty being in the mix should see this as welcomed news. The top guys on my list are Polian and deCosta. I think Polian is the perfect fit, because Clark probably wants someone who will respect his father legacy, but is a young and upcoming guy.

The only thing that makes me nervous is Herm sticking around. I really wanted to see him get shit canned today. But on the other hand what if KC can't get the GM or HC they really want? In this business you have to make sure you upgrade after you fire someone.

For example, look at the Marty firing as the Chargers HC when he went 14-2 and they replaced him with Norm Turner. That is the last thing I want to see happen in KC. I have a feeling the Jets might have just gotten themselves in that situation though.

The first step in this process is getting a new GM. Once that is person is in place. If I was that guy I'd love it if my new franchise let me shit can Herm. Its a freebie and would be seen as a positive first step for the new administration. If it's done before the GM arrives, then its just punishment for a bad record. Letting the new GM fire Herm will let the fans quickly get behind him.

I still think we have one of the best gigs out there, we just need to have the new GM up and running in the next two and a half weeks.

FringeNC
12-29-2008, 05:37 PM

I thought this week personnel from playoff teams could be interviewed.

Bowser
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
This has the same feel as the first few hours of free agency - OMGOMG WHY HAVEN'T WE SIGNED ANYONE WE ARE DOOOOMED.

OnTheWarpath15
12-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I thought this week personnel from playoff teams could be interviewed.

Only teams that received a 1st round bye - and they can only interview - they cannot accept a job until their season is over.

rad
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
What part of this do you people not understand?

Any coach worth a shit is in the same boat - they cannot take a job until their current team's season ends.

We're not missing out on anyone by "waiting" - matter of fact, the fact that we haven't rushed out and hired some retread that is currently available tells me that Clark is after one of the big names.

Only teams that received a 1st round bye - and they can only interview - they cannot accept a job until their season is over.

Pioli is interviewable. What are your thoughts on him? Have there been any reports of Clark calling him?

OnTheWarpath15
12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Pioli is interviewable. What are your thoughts on him? Have there been any reports of Clark calling him like the Lions did?

My thoughts on Pioli are well known - just look around.

Clark is looking for someone that is going to build this franchise through the draft, and NE's draft record going back to 2000 is well below average, IMO.

BryanBusby
12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
People are pissed because Clark is going to do what he said? He's going to look anywhere and everywhere for the next General Manager. A lot of those candidates I'm sure are on playoff teams. I'm sure the actual search has begun, hence the Marty smoke.

Just by taking a guess, I'm sure there are a lot of candidates from both Indy and Baltimore on his list.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I think saying "well below average" is being pretty harsh sure NE goes out into FA but they aren't a horrid drafting team.

OnTheWarpath15
12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I think saying "well below average" is being pretty harsh sure NE goes out into FA but they aren't a horrid drafting team.

They aren't nearly as good as people make them out to be.

Look up their draft record under Pioli. (2000-2008)

They've supported themselves on 2 drafts, 2003 and 2005.

Otherwise, they've flat out sucked.

Even with those two years, they've hit on 15/70 players.

Not good.

Coogs
12-29-2008, 06:01 PM
If I was that guy I'd love it if my new franchise let me shit can Herm. Its a freebie and would be seen as a positive first step for the new administration. If it's done before the GM arrives, then its just punishment for a bad record. Letting the new GM fire Herm will let the fans quickly get behind him.

Yep!

Hammock Parties
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM

Not good.

Which is why hiring one of the guys from Pittsburgh may be a pretty good idea. That front office just shovels talents at the coaching staff year after year...it's ridiculous.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Not good.

What's your definition of a hit? Eugene Wilson was a very good player for them but I could see people not even noticing that because he's not there now.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Which is why hiring one of the guys from Pittsburgh may be a pretty good idea. That front office just shovels talents at the coaching staff year after year...it's ridiculous.

Just remember Tom Donahoe was there and once he left for another team he was brutal...

Hydrae
12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Pioli is interviewable. What are your thoughts on him? Have there been any reports of Clark calling him?

Um, the Colts play this week and do not have a bye. That would mean he is not available for interviewing yet.

booger
12-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Browns Very Interested in Scott Pioli --
Mon Dec 29, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Scott Pioli, the New England Patriots Vice President of Player Personnel, is believed to be very interested in the Browns general manager job and is expected to interview for the position soon. The Browns have been granted permission by the Patriots to interview Pioli and could talk to him as soon as Tuesday.

Pioli has also been contacted by either the Kansas City Chiefs or Detroit Lions and will interview for that job as well, a source said. The interviews will be Pioli's first since he joined the Patriots in 2000. He was granted permission to interview with two other teams, but declined both. In 2005, the Seahawks, despite not formally interviewing Pioli, offered him a five-year, $15 million deal, which he turned down. He also declined a request to be interviewed by the Giants in January of 2007. If Pioli takes the Browns job, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, a Canton, Ohio native, could be near the top of his list of coaching candidates. Pioli hired McDaniels, 32, in 2001 to be a personnel and coaching assistant and the two remain close. Browns owner Randy Lerner confirmed Monday that McDaniels is on his short list. Pioli began his NFL career in Cleveland under HC Bill Belichick in 1992 and has told associates over the years that the Browns job would be intriguing to him and one of the only ones that would be compelling enough to pry him away from Belichick and the Patriots. Pioli, who was a pro personnel assistant in Cleveland from 1992 to 1995, loved the city and the team. He also formed close relationships with people such as Indians GM Mark Shapiro and would love to help rebuild the Browns the same way Shapiro has done with the Tribe and Danny Ferry the Cavs, sources said. Pioli, 43, was with the Browns when they went 11-5 in 1994 under Belichick and everyone on that staff felt the team was on its way to glory before the team moved to Baltimore in 1995. If Pioli takes the Browns job, he would have the final say on the 53-man roster that Belichick had in New England.

Mecca
Um, the Colts play this week and do not have a bye. That would mean he is not available for interviewing yet.

Pioli is with the Pats....

rad
My thoughts on Pioli are well known - just look around.

Clark is looking for someone that is going to build this franchise through the draft, and NE's draft record going back to 2000 is well below average, IMO.

It wouldn't have been difficult for you to just answer my question, I'm not running a search to see what you think of Pioli, but I'm guessing you're not too enthused about him. I guess you're a Polian guy, right? I haven't been on too much lately, so forgive me for not keeping up(no sarcasm intended)

BryanBusby

Pioli != Polian

SAUTO
12-29-2008, 06:14 PM

thats POLIAN that works for the colts, pioli works for the pats

ArrowheadHawk
12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
I am just happy that we are going in a different direction. No need to rush things.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Ok I'm gonna actually role through the Pats draft history here and see if we differ on hits and misses I'll bold guys I feel were hits.

2 46 Adrian Klemm T Hawaii
3 76 J.R. Redmond RB Arizona State
4 127 Greg Randall T Michigan State
5 141 Dave Stachelski TE Boise State
5 161 Jeff Marriott -- Missouri
6 187 Antwan Harris CB Virginia
6 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan
6 201 David Nugent DT Purdue
7 226 Casey Tisdale -- New Mexico
7 239 Patrick Pass

Patrick Pass was a solid player for awhile for being a 7th round pick but I won't bold him.

1 6 Richard Seymour DT Georgia
2 48 Matt Light T Purdue
3 86 Brock Williams CB Notre Dame
4 96 Kenyatta Jones T South Florida
4 119 Jabari Holloway TE Notre Dame
5 163 Hakim Akbar DB Washington
6 180 Arther Love TE South Carolina State
6 200 Leonard Myers CB Miami (Fla.)
7 216 Owen Pochman K Brigham Young
7 239 T.J. Turner LB Michigan State

That's 2 but the anchors of both their lines in the same draft.

1 21 Daniel Graham TE Colorado
2 65 Deion Branch WR Louisville
4 117 Rohan Davey QB Louisiana State
4 126 Jarvis Green DE Louisiana State
7 237 Antwoine Womack RB Virginia
7 253 David Givens WR Notre Dame

This was a very good draft they got a productive TE in the time he was with them, 2 good WRs, and a very good DL who still plays for them.

1 13 Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
2 36 Eugene Wilson FS Illinois
2 45 Bethel Johnson WR Texas A&M
4 117 Dan Klecko DT Temple
4 120 Asante Samuel CB Central Florida
5 164 Dan Koppen C Boston College
6 201 Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech
7 234 Spencer Nead TE Brigham Young
7 239 Tully Banta-Cain LB California
7 243 Ethan Kelley NT Baylor

Once again a good draft you see a team consistently hitting on it's OL and DL picks early and late.

1 21 Vince Wilfork NT Miami (Fla.)
1 32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
2 63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State
3 95 Guss Scott SAF Florida
4 113 Dexter Reid SAF North Carolina
4 128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
5 164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State
7 233 Christian Morton CB Illinois

1 32 Logan Mankins G Fresno State
3 84 Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa State
3 100 Nick Kaczur T Toledo
4 133 James Sanders SAF Fresno State
5 170 Ryan Claridge LB Nevada-Las Vegas
7 230 Matt Cassel QB USC
7 255 Andy Stokes TE William Penn

1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
2 36 Chad Jackson WR Florida
3 86 David Thomas TE Texas
4 106 Garrett Mills RB Tulsa
4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Florida
6 205 Dan Stevenson G Notre Dame
6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska
7 229 Willie Andrews CB Baylor

This is the first really bad draft....

1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa

This one isn't much better

1 10 Jerod Mayo OLB Tennessee
2 62 Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado
3 78 Shawn Crable OLB Michigan
3 94 Kevin O'Connell QB San Diego State
4 129 Jonathan Wilhite CB Auburn
5 153 Matt Slater WR UCLA
6 197 Bo Ruud LB Nebraska

It's early but I'll count him.

Hammock Parties
12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
David Thomas and Maroney aren't horrible.

Maroney is a bust considering his draft position, maybe.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 06:31 PM
David Thomas and Maroney aren't horrible.

Maroney is a bust considering his draft position, maybe.

For a 1st round pick he has to be better than that, and I'm not going to count their backup TE as a hit.

Their draft history also shows they have a TE obsession.

BryanBusby
12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Maroney is a rather large bust. If he wasn't hurt, he was busy tap dancing behind the line of scrimmage.

Hydrae
12-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Pioli is with the Pats....

thats POLIAN that works for the colts, pioli works for the pats

:banghead:

Maybe we can find some other guy with a similar name just to muddy the waters even more!

booger
12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm a little uneasy about Herm and him not being fired yet, but i understand it.

I'm also impatient about the GM search like the rest but I like what Clark is doing so far. The marty rumors make sense in many different ways. The connection to Cowher. When he split in '98 and what he thinks of guys like Thum (it seems that Thum is highly thought of but that's still interim) and Director of College Scouting Chuck Cook. Are they just Carl guys, or are they independent people who worked under Carl and were both here before carl and then promoted once he came aboard? Also his thoughts of Jimmy Raye JR out in SD.

Also Mark Dominik of the Bucs, he was only in KC for less than 2 years but what did Marty know of him? What about his boy Brian? With the way things happen with young guys like Kiffin he might get thoughts to wheather he is ready for a top job. He did interview for the HC job at NYJ before Mangini got it. And Brian did work as a OA/quality control under DV in STL after learning under Spurrier at Florida after transfering from Kansas where a young scout by the Name of Mark Dominik got his bachelor’s of science degree in sports management. Not sure if it was at the same exact time but it would have been damn close as the two seem to be very close in age.

Earlier this decade when the Pats started their dynasty is when Clark started spending more time with Lamar and tagging along to owners meetings. Lamar knew his health was up in the air and that one day when he was gone and Carl as well, Clark would have to have friends in the know to call on for advice on hiring. Didn't hurt that he saw his dad handing over the Lamar Hunt trophy after all of those AFC championship victories. So he is obviously going to check into Pioli and his interest.

Also ponder this. If he is good friends with Kraft's son, a good question i would ask is this: If you lose Pioli, who would you look to hire? Probably on their short list is Eric DeCosta. A Massachusets native who got his first job under Belichik when he was with the old Browns org. Now the Ravens who happen to be one of the best run organizations under Ozzie Newsome.

Other than the Pats he mentions the Steelers as an org with the right plan that he would like to follow. They have 2-3 guys to look at in Hughes, Whaley, and Colbert.

That leaves Polian and Marc Ross or Kevin Abrams. Both the Colts and NYG fit CH's criteria of winning teams and those guys have helped those teams in that process.

Just the way i'm looking at things.

With guys like Teicher and that no football knowleged hack Kent Blabb, it will probably be tough to get leaks that the team doesn't want the public to know.

blueballs
12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
I am just happy that we are going in a different direction. No need to rush things.

you'll not fit in here
no sand in your vag
check the pantry for some minute rice

Hammock Parties
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM
With guys like Teicher and that no football knowleged hack Kent Blabb, it will probably be tough to get leaks that the team doesn't want the public to know.

Well, you know where to go. :evil:

Chief77
12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
If Clark is going to get a GM from a playoff team, most likely the new coach will also be an assistant from that same playoff team or another playoff team. This is why it wont hurt for Clark to take a little time to be sure he makes a good hire.