PDA

View Full Version : Football Mort just reported Cowher willing to talk to Jets

doomy3
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
On Sportscenter...

Interesting he is willing to talk to them and not the Browns. Maybe total control isn't all that important to him since I would assume he could have had that with the Browns, and probably not the Jets

Bowser
12-29-2008, 05:53 PM
The Jets have the money to lure him out, and he wouldn't have to play the Steelers twice a year.

MichaelH
12-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I guess this means Farve will un-retire yet again.

DaFace
12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
OMG WE DIDN'T GET TO TALK TO HIM FIRST!!!!!!!111ONE!!

Cntrygal
(sigh)

Hoover
Makes sense to me.

The Jets can offer him a bunch of money, and have a lot of things in place.

kcfanintitanhell
12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
The gist of what I got from that is that, although he's not interested in coaching next year, he will talk with them out of courtesy.
But who the hell knows? He may be rolled out as the next head coach of the Jets tomorrow.

Hammock Parties
12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
ANYTHING to keep him away from KC

Reerun_KC
12-29-2008, 05:58 PM
ANYTHING to keep him away from KCqft

SPATCH
12-29-2008, 05:58 PM
this is bull shark... what's so flippin great about that city?

rad
12-29-2008, 06:01 PM
What about his chin? Are they in negotiations with both? I wouldn't be too upset with Bill Cowher's chin as HC.

chagrin
12-29-2008, 06:46 PM
On Sportscenter...

Interesting he is willing to talk to them and not the Browns. Maybe total control isn't all that important to him since I would assume he could have had that with the Browns, and probably not the Jets

Why is that interesting? It's a no-fucking-brainer

Basileus777
12-29-2008, 06:48 PM

North Jersey is just that awesome.

Frankie
12-29-2008, 06:50 PM
What about his chin? Are they in negotiations with both? I wouldn't be too upset with Bill Cowher's chin as HC.

Here's an Idea:

Bill Cowher - HC
Jay Leno - GM

chiefs1111
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM
good the Jets can have him

Psyko Tek
12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Here's an Idea:

Bill Cowher - HC
Jay Leno - GM

do you have a place for Bruce Campbell in that organization?

doomy3
12-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Why is that interesting? It's a no-****ing-brainer

Why exactly is it a no brainer? Cowher started his career in Cleveland, and Cleveland is believed, by many, to be closest to being ready to make a run

New Yorker
12-29-2008, 07:08 PM
quoted the wrong reply. :o

New Yorker
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
this is bull shark... what's so flippin great about that city?NYC has way too many things to list. It`s the greatest city on the planet and New Jersey is it`s backyard that has it all(the sea, the mountains, the farms, the gambling, the pollution, 2 NFL teams, the traffic, the tolls, etc...

NJ is the most congested state in the USA. Most people per square mile and most automobiles per square mile. Both NOT good, but it is NYC`s backyard.

I think thats what lures many coaches to coach here, be it Jets or Giants. There is something for everyone.

DaneMcCloud
12-29-2008, 07:16 PM

LMAO

I take it you've never been to NYC?

TrickyNicky
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
It is a great fit. 3-4, two proven backs, reasonably young o-line, and a questionable quarterback.

DJJasonp
12-29-2008, 08:13 PM
NYC has way too many things to list. It`s the greatest city on the planet and New Jersey is it`s backyard that has it all(the sea, the mountains, the farms, the gambling, the pollution, 2 NFL teams, the traffic, the tolls, etc...

NJ is the most congested state in the USA. Most people per square mile and most automobiles per square mile. Both NOT good, but it is NYC`s backyard.

I think thats what lures many coaches to coach here, be it Jets or Giants. There is something for everyone.

yeah, but do girls get spit on in nightclubs????

cdcox
12-29-2008, 08:20 PM
The only possible truth behind this rumor is that Cowher is trying to send a signal to Clark that he is available. This rumor comes as the result of Pioli's overture to Clarke via the Cleveland rumor.

Looks like Cowher and Pioli (don't forget Parcells) are in a bidding war to come to KC.

Dayze
12-29-2008, 08:28 PM

This.

ArrowheadHawk
12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
The only possible truth behind this rumor is that Cowher is trying to send a signal to Clark that he is available. This rumor comes as the result of Pioli's overture to Clarke via the Cleveland rumor.

Looks like Cowher and Pioli (don't forget Parcells) are in a bidding war to come to KC.

You may have gotten a little out of hand with this post.

bowener
12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
NYC has way too many things to list. It`s the greatest city on the planet and New Jersey is it`s backyard that has it all(the sea, the mountains, the farms, the gambling, the pollution, 2 NFL teams, the traffic, the tolls, etc...

This.

I think the chin likes the spotlight and cameras after doing his nice and easy TV desk job. If he could find a team to pay him a lot of money to be HC and give him power over his team, as well as being a media smothered team. If you put all that together you get the Giants, Cowboys, and Jets. The Jets need a coach.

DaneMcCloud
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM

ROFL

Are you being serious?

blueballs
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Come on NY
pull in the chin

jAZ
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
...have to play the Steelers...
I don't think most people realize that he's FROM Pittsburgh and was a Steelers fan growing up. It's hard to choose to play for your life-time rival. Particularly since he was the HC of the Steelers for so many years.

blueballs
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
If not New York
Cowher needs to go Seattle
the spit will blend in with the rain

Chiefnj2
12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Cowher's daughter goes to college in NJ.

DaWolf
12-29-2008, 10:23 PM
They're also talking 8 to 10 mil a year to bring him to NY. No thanks...

DaneMcCloud
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM
They're also talking 8 to 10 mil a year to bring him to NY. No thanks...

I didn't realize that you'd be footing the bill.

So, how much ARE you willing to spend per year?

:p

TEX
12-29-2008, 10:50 PM

You're such a moron. Why don't you tell me again how good Croyle looks and how great Herm is...

Hammock Parties
12-29-2008, 10:55 PM
You're such a moron. Why don't you tell me again how good Croyle looks and how great Herm is...

Why is it so hard to realize what Cowher is?

He's just another coach who loves running the ball and playing defense. That's all.

TEX
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM

He's just another coach who loves running the ball and playing defense. That's all.

This is what gets me about you - you know your stuff but then you're so darn blind about obvious situations. Cowher grew as a HC and changed with time. He's the one so called "Marty desciple" that actually won the Super Bowl. Jeez.

J Diddy
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM

no shit

marty version 2.0

J Diddy
12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
This is what gets me about you - you know your stuff but then you're so darn blind about obvious situations. Cowher grew as a HC and changed with time. He's the one so called "Marty desciple" that actually won the Super Bowl. Jeez.

That's the thing. You don't know that. He quit after winning it and it very well could have been a fluke.

Hammock Parties
12-29-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm not saying Cowher is Herm. He's a much better coach than Herm. There's no comparison. I just don't see him as the messiah. Why are so many fans everywhere gung ho about Cowher? Until his scouting department gave him Roethlisberger he was just Marty 2.0, as Diddy said.

I'll say this for the idea - if we get Cowher, it's clear he actually KNOWS defense, unlike that fraud Herm. We'll be good on defense. No doubt.

kcfanintitanhell
12-29-2008, 11:18 PM
That's the thing. You don't know that. He quit after winning it and it very well could have been a fluke.

I'm not so sure that was that much of a fluke. If Herm is retained, and the Chiefs go on to win it all next year, now that would be a fluke. In CAPS.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not saying Cowher is Herm. He's a much better coach than Herm. There's no comparison. I just don't see him as the messiah. Why are so many fans everywhere gung ho about Cowher? Until his scouting department gave him Roethlisberger he was just Marty 2.0, as Diddy said.

I'll say this for the idea - if we get Cowher, it's clear he actually KNOWS defense, unlike that fraud Herm. We'll be good on defense. No doubt.

You should know the answer to this question, for some reason fans in this market strive to recreate an era that never won a bowl.

TrickyNicky
12-29-2008, 11:33 PM
I want some of what you're smoking if you think going on a run through the playoffs, all on the road mind you, is a fluke. Questionable calls in the Bowl? Absolutely. But a fluke as a six seed (Either that or 5th)? Nah.

I'm not nuts about Cowher or anything, but people seem to think he had nothing to do with it or something.

blueballs
12-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Toothless was a cunt hair away
from missing a shoestring tackle

TEX
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM

I know that he won the AFC Championship a couple of times, won the division many times, and the Super Bowl once. That's no fluke.

TEX
12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
no shit

marty version 2.0

With a Super Bowl ring. He's NOT Marty. He learned how not to be...What is wrong with some of you???

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 12:00 AM
I know that he won the AFC Championship a couple of times, won the division many times, and the Super Bowl once. That's no fluke.

The Steelers lost FIVE playoff games at HOME under Cowher.

Is that what you want for the Chiefs?

TEX
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM

So what. How many did they win? And they did win the Super Bowl. I want that.

You need to listen to me for a change this time. I was right about Croyle and Herm - you couldn't have been more wrong. This is no different. So, this time quit while you're ahead.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 12:47 AM

That's what happens when you make the playoffs almost every year of your 15-year coaching career. He has 12 playoff wins and the fact that he lost those games at home, that meant his team was good enough in the regular season to get homefield advantage for that game.

Why do people insist on two different extremes? Cowher has a similar "philosophy" as Marty. So what? So do Jeff Fisher, Jon Harbaugh, Mike Smith, Brad Childress, Tom Coughlin, and Love Smith. Talking about 5 playoff losses in 15 years is a reach. And saying 2 Super Bowl appearances in that time isn't enough is downplaying how damn hard it is to get there.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 12:50 AM
the fact that he lost those games at home, that meant his team was good enough in the regular season to get homefield advantage for that game.

Sounds like Marty...

Talking about 5 playoff losses in 15 years is a reach.

He lost more games on the road.

Five AT HOME should send up red flags.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah, and the formula is really working horribly for Mike Smith, Jeff Fisher, and Jon Harbaugh. These are three guys that love running the ball SO MUCH that they heavily use not one but TWO running backs.

Sorry, but that statement you made shows that you're living in the past. Most teams today are looking to run the ball MORE, not less.

Me? I've watched a piece-of-shit defense for 10 years and I've had about enough. If Cowher comes in and brings a top 5 defense, I will literally do a tap dance. It's going to be ridiculously embarrassing, but I'll do it.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, and the formula is really working horribly for Mike Smith, Jeff Fisher, and Jon Harbaugh.

Get back to us after week 20.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Bill Parcells has coached for 19 seasons. His record in the playoffs is 11-8. Bill Cowher coached for 15 seasons, his playoff record is 12-9. What's your point?

Marty coached for 21 years and his playoff record is 5-13.

For anyone to claim that Cowher's playoff record is like Marty is completely retarded.

Sounds like Marty...

He lost more games on the road.

Five AT HOME should send up red flags.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, and the formula is really working horribly for Mike Smith, Jeff Fisher, and Jon Harbaugh. These are three guys that love running the ball SO MUCH that they heavily use not one but TWO running backs.

The Titans are going to lose to a team with a better quarterback in the playoffs

The Falcons and Ravens won't be serious SB contenders until Ryan and Flacco mature into the dominant force on their respective offenses.

Today's NFL is not about having a dominant running game.

It's about having an elite quarterback.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Bill Parcells has coached for 19 seasons.

Total losses at home in the playoffs:

That should really tell you all you need to know.

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
The Titans are going to lose to a team with a better quarterback in the playoffs

The Falcons and Ravens won't be serious SB contenders until Ryan and Flacco mature into the dominant force on their respective offenses.

Today's NFL is not about having a dominant running game.

It's about having an elite quarterback.

not this fucking year

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Get back to us after week 20.

Given that I view the Titans, Panthers, and Giants as 3 of the 4 favorites, I'm pretty sure my point about defense/strong running game being the new thing will be validated.

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:03 AM

since when has this become the gold standard in evaluating nfl coaches? this playoff losses at home stat...

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:03 AM

Yes, home playoff win/loss record is the only important stat when evaluating a head coach.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:08 AM
no shit

marty version 2.0

Cowher has 7 more wins than Marty and 2 more Super Bowl appearances.

And Cowher's offense has favored the run, but he loves offensive coordinators that like to take occasional shots down the field and mix in whacky playcalling. He is a guy who loves fake punts/field goals and loves going for it on 4th down.

You don't know what you're talking about. Just because he likes to run the ball does not mean he's a second version of Marty.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Yes, home playoff win/loss record is the only important stat when evaluating a head coach.

Keep moving those goalposts.

Good head coaches don't lose playoff games at home.

Don Shula lost five in THIRTY-THREE YEARS.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Given that I view the Titans, Panthers, and Giants as 3 of the 4 favorites, I'm pretty sure my point about defense/strong running game being the new thing will be validated.

The Titans and Panthers have already lost Super Bowls using that exact same philosophy.

In case you don't have the Sunday Ticket or don't live in NY, the Giants are FAR from a Marty-type team.

JFC.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:15 AM
The Titans and Panthers have already lost Super Bowls using that exact same philosophy.

In case you don't have the Sunday Ticket or don't live in NY, the Giants are FAR from a Marty-type team.

JFC.

I never said the Giants were a Marty team. But neither is Cowher. I don't understand why a coach who likes to run the ball is considered to be like Marty.

Coughlin LOVES to run the ball. I've seen a few Giants games. I know they win on outstanding defense. I know that they love, love, LOVE to run the ball, and that Eli serves more as a game manager, but that the run game is king in New York. For crying out loud, they had TWO 1,000 yard rushers!

The Giants don't win because of a pass-happy offense. They win because of "Earth, Wind, and Fire (Jacobs, Ward, Bradshaw). Anyone who believes otherwise should pay attention to how they struggled when the Giants lost Jacobs this season.

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM

don't get enamored with this stat........... it's really not that telling

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:20 AM

JFC.

And by the way... if you really hold true to that argument, then if by some miracle the Chiefs could get Jeff Fisher or John Fox, you would nix that in a heartbeat.

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:21 AM

JFC.

ravens, buccaneers

chiefzilla1501

So he's a bad coach because he loses playoff games at home, but he gets no credit for winning playoff games on the road?

DaneMcCloud
ravens, buccaneers

Bullshit and Bullshit

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 01:22 AM
The Giants don't win because of a pass-happy offense.

The Giants won't win the Super Bowl this year without Plaxico Burress.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 01:22 AM
So he's a bad coach because he loses playoff games at home, but he gets no credit for winning playoff games on the road?

He's not a "bad" head coach.

He's just not good enough.

Furthermore, I don't even know if he has the desire to win another Super Bowl. There was a lot of that talk going around the year after Pitt won.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:23 AM
And by the way... if you really hold true to that argument, then if by some miracle the Chiefs could get Jeff Fisher or John Fox, you would nix that in a heartbeat.

Hahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahhahahahhahahha

Bwaaaaahhhhahahahahahahahahaahha

Jeff Fisher has been a head coach for 13 years. His teams have been in the playoffs 5 times.

John Fox's head was on the chopping block before the season started.

Are these the guys you want?

Fuckin' A.

Do you live in Carl Peterson's apartment? Or are you just his errand boy?

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Bullshit and Bullshit

So you think Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won those Super Bowls, as opposed to Tampa D/Pittman and Alstott the Ravens D/Jamal Lewis and Priest?

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Bullshit and Bullshit

yes? there was something that.............. you......... wanted......... to.........

FloridaMan88
12-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Me? I've watched a piece-of-shit defense for 10 years and I've had about enough. If Cowher comes in and brings a top 5 defense, I will literally do a tap dance. It's going to be ridiculously embarrassing, but I'll do it.

Cowher had top 5 defenses and running games for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh, yet didn't finally win a Super Bowl until he had a legit QB and passing game.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Cowher had top 5 defenses and running games for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh, yet didn't finally win a Super Bowl until he had a legit QB and passing game.

http://www.tornlightgallery.com/images/photo-galleries/portraits/high-res/Gasp.jpg

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:32 AM

Who played for a team that loved to run the ball and played outstanding defense. Big Ben did not win that Super Bowl, he managed that game well enough for his defense/running game to win.

I know you need solid QB play. But there is a lot of recent history that suggests that teams that love to run the ball do just fine in the Super Bowl. It just so happens that the three glaring exceptions, the Colts, Patriots, and Rams, had three QBs who were beyond franchise QBs.

If you are confident that you'll find a QB as good as Peyton or Brady, by all means, go for a team that would rather pass the ball. But the reality is, most Super Bowl teams are getting solid QBs and surrounding them with an outstanding running game and defense.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:35 AM

I also think it's funny how you all think getting to the Super Bowl is so damn easy. Since the salary cap, can any of you name a single coach not named Bellichick that has made to more than 2 Super Bowls?

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:46 AM
I also think it's funny how you all think getting to the Super Bowl is so damn easy. Since the salary cap, can any of you name a single coach not named Bellichick that has made to more than 2 Super Bowls?

Mike Holmgren
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Shanahan
Bill Cowher
Marv Levy

12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Mike Holmgren
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Shanahan
Bill Cowher
Marv LevyIt's amazing that anyone would forget about Marv.

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Mike Holmgren
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Shanahan
Bill Cowher
Marv Levy

omit cowher

12-30-2008, 01:50 AM
omit cowherWhy? He made it to 2 SBs.

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Why? He made it to 2 SBs.

yeah.. he said more than two

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
yeah.. he said more than two

Yeah, he's a fucking idiot.

12-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah, he's a ****ing idiot.Thats what I get for running with dumbfucks from hollywood.:evil:

SPATCH
12-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Mike Holmgren
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Shanahan
Bill Cowher
Marv Levy

oh... and that would eliminate johnson and shanahan too... forgot about switzer and reeves

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Thats what I get for running with dumbfucks from hollywood.:evil:

Well, we all can't have great judgement.

Look what I get by hanging out with a bunch of guys from Kansas!

:p

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:55 AM
oh... and that would eliminate johnson and shanahan too... forgot about switzer and reeves

His argument was about as flawed as Herm's fourth quarter decisions.

12-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Well, we all can't have great judgement.

Look what I get by hanging out with a bunch of guys from Kansas!

:pAt least you have good taste.:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 01:56 AM
At least you have good taste.:thumb:

That's what she said.

:swish:

12-30-2008, 01:57 AM
That's what she said.

:swish::doh!::LOL: