PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Marty downplays talks with Chiefs

dirk digler
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
SCHOTTENHEIMER DOWNPLAYS MEETING WITH HUNT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/29/schottenheimer-downplays-meeting-with-hunt/)

On his Sirius NFL (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) Radio Show, host Marty Schottenheimer addressed a report from FOX’s Jay Glazer that the former Browns, Chiefs, Redskins, and Chargers coach recently met with Kansas City owner Clark Hunt regarding a possible return by Schottenheimer in a Parcells-style executive role.

“I had a conversation with the people in Kansas City but it was merely as ‘What do you think the situation is?’” Schottenheimer said. “Because I have a very long-standing relationship, I have great respect for Clark [Hunt] and others in that organization. And so we had some dialogue and I told them what I felt, how I felt about it. That was all.”

Meanwhile, Bob Glauber of Newsday mentions Schottenheiner as a possible candidate for the head-coaching job (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2008/12/dont_discount_marty_schottenhe.html) with the Jets.

Per Glauber, Schottenheimer has attended several Jets games in recent weeks. His son, Brian, is the team’s offensive coordinator.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-29-2008, 10:57 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dirk digler
12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
For all the Marty haters this is good news I guess

blueballs
12-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't hate Marty
he's a rollercoaster I'm tired of riding
and outdated

Deberg_1990
12-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Ive heard rumours that his son Brian is future head coaching material...

12-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Marty and Bill with the Jets. Fine by me.

Agent V
12-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Wonder what he "thought of the situation"....

bowener
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I posted somewhere on here speculating if Marty wasn't brought in by baby Hunt to give him some direction on his affairs. Marty is probably like an uncle to him or something.

I'm sure he was compensated for his conversation as well, at least in travel perks.

2bikemike
12-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't hate Marty
he's a rollercoaster I'm tired of riding
and outdated

My thoughts exactly, I want this team to head in a new direction. I am tired of the old cronie syndrome that has floated around here. Bring in some new blood.

ArrowheadHawk
12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I posted somewhere on here speculating if Marty wasn't brought in by baby Hunt to give him some direction on his affairs. Marty is probably like an uncle to him or something.

I'm sure he was compensated for his conversation as well, at least in travel perks.

Sounds like you nailed it.

bowener
12-29-2008, 11:53 PM
My thoughts exactly, I want this team to head in a new direction. I am tired of the old cronie syndrome that has floated around here. Bring in some new blood.

The timberwolf!

KcMizzou
12-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Clark, like a lot of us.... grew up watching Marty make his favorite NFL team successful.

It shouldn't be surprising that he brings the guy in to ask some advice.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Say what you will about Marty, but he does know football... and I'm sure he's got a better handle on which candidates could turn this mess around, than we do.

BossChief
12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
isnt that extremely close to what a interview for the GM job would be, talking about opinions on how to resolve the situation?

Marty would have us in the playoffs next year and the defense would definatly have a new attitude next year

blueballs
12-30-2008, 12:13 AM
isnt that extremely close to what a interview for the GM job would be, talking about opinions on how to resolve the situation?

Marty would have us in the playoffs next year and the defense would definatly have a new attitude next year

Marty as a head coach may bring the D up to snuff
but Marty in a hiring role hires family members
there's a bad economy and sons/brothers we don't know about

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2008, 12:39 AM
I think it is pretty obvious Clark is in over his head with the GM decision. Pretty soon he's going to start asking Dictator Carl and Jack Steadman for advice

12-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I think it is pretty obvious Clark is in over his head with the GM decision. Pretty soon he's going to start asking Dictator Carl and Jack Steadman for advicedon't throw him under a bus just yet. I want to see what the end of the week brings first. If a bunch of quality HC candidates sign with other teams because of the Chiefs inaction, then I will get pissed.

BryanBusby
12-30-2008, 12:43 AM
I think it is pretty obvious Clark is in over his head with the GM decision. Pretty soon he's going to start asking Dictator Carl and Jack Steadman for advice

Because he isn't going out and begging people like Cowher, Marty and Pioli hoping one of them sends a return text? That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Because he isn't going out and begging people like Cowher, Marty and Pioli hoping one of them sends a return text? That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

He's a pretty ridiculous poster

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2008, 12:50 AM
don't throw him under a bus just yet. I want to see what the end of the week brings first. If a bunch of quality HC candidates sign with other teams because of the Chiefs inaction, then I will get pissed.

Well you have other teams already starting the process of contacting potential head coaches to interview while Herm remains employed and giving long-term direction press conferences.

12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Well you have other teams already starting the process of contacting potential head coaches to interview while Herm remains employed and giving long-term direction press conferences.Carl's gone. There has to be a plan here for him to do what he is doing. Like I said, next Monday will make or break my support for Clark.

Of course, if he misses my deadline and still pulls a miracle out of his ass after the superbowl I'll forgive him. heh

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Well you have other teams already starting the process of contacting potential head coaches to interview while Herm remains employed and giving long-term direction press conferences.

The GM decision is far more important than the HC decision. I'd rather get that right. And I'm glad we didn't rush into it as carelessly as teams like St. Louis and Detroit did.

A good GM will bring in a good head coach. A good HC does not guarantee a good GM.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 02:01 AM
A good HC does not guarantee a good GM.

Hence the Herm Edwards Conundrum.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2008, 03:36 AM
Clark just called Marty up and said "hey marty, remember that hot waitress you used to bang 10 years ago? She has a daughter now who looks exactly like she used to look. Come on up to KC and we'll chat about the Chiefs. When we're done you can just step into my private limo and join little miss hottie. It'll be like old times!"

Rausch
12-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Hence the Herm Edwards Conundrum.

No conundrum.

The henhouse has avian flu. Off them all and start over...

the Talking Can
12-30-2008, 06:34 AM
I will forgive Marty for Steve Bono if he told Clark to fire Herm.

booger
12-30-2008, 06:48 AM
I will forgive Marty for Steve Bono if he told Clark to fire Herm.

Marty fired him after the 94 season when he coached DB's.

Then Carl hired him as a pro scout for the 95 season.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/herm-speaks-finale.html#more-6081

I hope he relayed the same message this time.

the Talking Can
12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Marty fired him after the 94 season when he coached DB's.

Then Carl hired him as a pro scout for the 95 season.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/herm-speaks-finale.html#more-6081

I hope he relayed the same message this time.

it would be the greatest gift Marty could give

i bet looks Marty at the team and thinks, "those coaches suck yak testes"

booger
12-30-2008, 06:55 AM
yep

morphius
12-30-2008, 08:20 AM
That is what I had hoped it was.

beach tribe
12-30-2008, 08:27 AM
So the Browns owner has stated that he's trying to move fast so he doesn't miss out on the top guys, and the only person we've had in is Marty?? Great. I have nothing against Marty, but it's obvious he's not going to be our GM. So what gives?

morphius
12-30-2008, 08:30 AM
So the Browns owner has stated that he's trying to move fast so he doesn't miss out on the top guys, and the only person we've had in is Marty?? Great. I have nothing against Marty, but it's obvious he's not going to be our GM. So what gives?
Just because our GM isn't talking about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Sort of the way it works here in KC with the Hunt's, they just don't talk to the media at all.

DTLB58
12-30-2008, 09:59 AM
SCHOTTENHEIMER DOWNPLAYS MEETING WITH HUNT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/29/schottenheimer-downplays-meeting-with-hunt/)

On his Sirius NFL (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) Radio Show, host Marty Schottenheimer addressed a report from FOX’s Jay Glazer that the former Browns, Chiefs, Redskins, and Chargers coach recently met with Kansas City owner Clark Hunt regarding a possible return by Schottenheimer in a Parcells-style executive role.

“I had a conversation with the people in Kansas City but it was merely as ‘What do you think the situation is?’” Schottenheimer said. “Because I have a very long-standing relationship, I have great respect for Clark [Hunt] and others in that organization. And so we had some dialogue and I told them what I felt, how I felt about it. That was all.”

Meanwhile, Bob Glauber of Newsday mentions Schottenheiner as a possible candidate for the head-coaching job (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2008/12/dont_discount_marty_schottenhe.html) with the Jets.

Per Glauber, Schottenheimer has attended several Jets games in recent weeks. His son, Brian, is the team’s offensive coordinator.

I sure hope he didn't recommened to Clark to retain Herm and let him "finish what he started".

It will be interesting to hear some day what was Marty's advise.

Skip Towne
12-30-2008, 10:07 AM
It's Clark's world. He just lets us live in it. Even so, I don't trust him to make these decisions. He's much better suited for soccer. I guess we just hope for the best.

ModSocks
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Clark just called Marty up and said "hey marty, remember that hot waitress you used to bang 10 years ago? She has a daughter now who looks exactly like she used to look. Come on up to KC and we'll chat about the Chiefs. When we're done you can just step into my private limo and join little miss hottie. It'll be like old times!"

Aw, so this is true. I heard about it a few weeks back, but thought it could be just a rumor. I heard that old marty knocked up miss waitress, paid to keep it hush hush and left KC to Florida because of the situation. True?