PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mortensen: Chiefs top 5 candidates for GM

dirk digler
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
CHIEFS TO CHASE PIOLI, TOO? (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/30/chiefs-to-chase-pioli-too/)

As the Cleveland Browns embark on their pursuit of Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, another team to keep in mind is the Kansas City Chiefs.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has reported that Pioli is on the radar of Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, and that Hunt specifically has mentioned Pioli in connection with the possibility of making another 20-year hire for the job.

Other candidates, per Mortensen, are Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis, Ravens director of college scouting Eric DeCosta, Colts assistant G.M. Chris Polian, and even former Browns G.M. Phil Savage.

Per Mort, Hunt is also interested in keeping coach Herm Edwards, but if the new G.M. doesn’t want to keep Edwards it won’t be a deal breaker.

Sure-Oz
12-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Clark is just being nice to Herm with that comment, fuck herm

The Franchise
12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Pioli, Polian or DeCosta.....

And no fucking way to Savage.

MikeMaslowski
12-30-2008, 11:11 AM

And no ****ing way to Savage.

second

Archie Bunker
12-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd be pretty pleased with any of those names.

BigChiefFan
12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Good job, Clark. Damn good job. I'm encouraged that's he's looking in those directions.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Bring Savage in to drill him for information
Clark you evil genious

Micjones
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Phil Savage? Oh God no.
He just got shitcanned. That's not a great way to start a new administration.
Coming on the heels of being fired by another organization. No thanks.

I like that he's interested in Pioli, Polian, and DeCosta though.

DJ's left nut
12-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I actually don't think Savage is a bad GM at all.

His team caved in on itself because Romeo Crennel can't lead.

In Baltimore, while we were busy patting ourselves on the back for 'stealing' Ryan Sims from Min., Savage was behind Baltimore snagging Ed Reed. He was also key for gus like Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Ogden and Terrell Suggs. His drafts in Cleveland were pretty strong as well, certainly no worse than Pioli's. The dude knows talent.

He probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd ultimately be fine with the signing.

Polian or Whaley.

Brock
12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Savage is probably just as good as Pioli.

Old Dog
12-30-2008, 11:20 AM
1 - DeCosta
2 - Pioli
3 - Polian

Then bring in Schwartz (Titans DC) as the HC.

BigChiefFan
Savage is a good GM. He brought in alot of good players to the Ravens and the Browns.

Priest31kc
It's great to have candidates from the Pats, Ravens, and Colts. Good job Clark.

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Savage is not a bad GM.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Herm is gone. I don't see any of these candidates keeping Herm. Thank God.

dirk digler
12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Savage wasn't fired because he sucked as GM he was fired because he is an asshole. The actual reason was poor communication and leadership skills. Add to the fact he sent that email to a fan telling him to go ****ing root for the Bills a month ago.

We already had an asshole as GM for 20 years we don't need another one.

Per Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, owner Randy Lerner made the decision to dump Savage before Sunday’s 31-0 loss at Pittsburgh.
The decision reportedly arose from “problems with Savage’s communication and leadership skills (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/browns_make_it_official_gm_phi.html).”

DJ's left nut
12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
It's great to have candidates from the Pats, Ravens, and Colts. Good job Clark.

I'd still like to get more Steelers in there.

They have the longest record of sustained success in the league and have done it with a couple of different coaches now.

With their annual roster turnover and an ownership that's never really let them hold onto their high-priced stars, I think their front office has done a better job than any team in the league.

The Colts are the 2nd best in terms of sustained success in the face of roster turnover.

The Pats just have too many guys that have flopped away from Belicheck for me to be comfortable with them. They also don't really have a track record of bringing in young talent as much as they do piecing together old rosters and reviving careers (again, credit Belicheck). I don't think its the guys upstairs that are responsible for this run.

The Ravens are only a year removed from ending the Kyle Boller/Steve McNair experiment. Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs being in a contract year has a lot more to do with them winning than overpaying for Willis McGahee and continuing to put their eggs in the Michael Clayton basket. I'm not nearly as sold on that front office.

Brock
12-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Savage wasn't fired because he sucked as GM he was fired because he is an asshole. The actual reason was poor communication and leadership skills. Add to the fact he sent that email to a fan telling him to go ****ing root for the Bills a month ago.

We already had an asshole as GM for 20 years we don't need another one.

Yeah, we wouldn't want a guy who could, you know, draft players or anything, because he might speak rudely to one of the dumbass fans.

BigChiefFan
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM

We already had an asshole as GM for 20 years we don't need another one.Sounds like he and Gretz will get along splendidly.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Clark is just being nice to Herm with that comment, **** herm

I don't think so. I think Clark really likes Herm.

And why in the hell would he want Phil Savage???

Savage/Edwards... a winning combination = more of the same

ModSocks
12-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Savage might

Brock
12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Clark obviously LOVES Herm. There is no other rationale for his still being here.

Sure-Oz
12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't get why Clark loves herm so much, really....are they buddies or what?

dirk digler
12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, we wouldn't want a guy who could, you know, draft players or anything, because he might speak rudely to one of the dumbass fans.

Clark listed wanted he wanted in a GM and being an asshole wasn't one of them. He even specifically said he wanted someone who would communicate better with the fans and the media.

Here is his criteria:

1. Be a shrewd evaluator of talent
2. Experience with Winning Teams
3. Strong Leader
4. Effective Communicator
5. Blends into the Chiefs Culture
6. Has to be from outside the organization

the Talking Can
12-30-2008, 11:36 AM
nice list

just wish he'd fire herm and move on

Brock
12-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Clark listed wanted he wanted in a GM and being an asshole wasn't one of them. He even specifically said he wanted someone who would communicate better with the fans and the media.

And yet, Savage is still a candidate, according to Mortensen.

beach tribe
12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Oh hell yeah. Clark is the fuckin man. I'm really starting to gather a respect for him.

Unless we hire Savage......

blueballs
12-30-2008, 11:39 AM
OH NOS
it could be weeks before all can be interviewed
WEEKS of no GM and more HERM -DOOM

Agent V
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
OH NOS
it could be weeks before all can be interviewed
WEEKS of no GM and more HERM -DOOM

Unacceptable!

Basileus777
12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
There are worse GMs than Savage, but he did make a number of mistakes with the Browns. He gave out quite a few bad contracts to free agents (Baxter, Bentley, Stallworth, Shaffer, Anderson), and his drafting wasn't all that great outside of the first round. It's not like Cincy or Arizona where the owners don't spend much money, Savage got to play like a kid in the candy store and his teams still suck.

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Clark obviously LOVES Herm. There is no other rationale for his still being here.Maybe he wants the GM to make that decision. What if the new GM, God forbid, likes Herm and wanted to keep him on?

Chiefnj2
12-30-2008, 11:45 AM
"another 20 year hire".

How about lets see how the guy is doing in 3 years and re-evaluate everything.

As for Savage, I think Romeo was hired before Savage was. There will always be problems when the GM doesn't get to hire his own coach. That's one reason why I'd like Hunt to fire Herm now. Things may start off messy if the new potential GM knows the owner (guy signing my checks) really likes and wants Herm to continue.

beach tribe
12-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe he wants the GM to make that decision. What if the new GM, God forbid, likes Herm and wanted to keep him on?

That would suck, but with Clark saying it would be the GMs decision, then the coaches performance would reflect on him, and who the hell would want Herm's coaching reflecting on them?

Chiefnj2
12-30-2008, 11:48 AM
On the main topic, Hunt assembled an excellent list of candidates.

RINGLEADER
Now that Cowher has express an interest in coaching if the front office situation is right (and he apparently doesn't think it is in New York) I could see Pioli and Cowher in KC.

And I agree with the other thread -- Cowher is not Marty. He isn't as close-minded on the offensive side of the ball, has won a Super Bowl, and has shown he knows how to coach a defense and evaluate talent. I would be happy with Cowher and I think the team would respond well to him.

dirk digler
And yet, Savage is still a candidate, according to Mortensen.

We will see if he gets the job.

dirk digler
12-30-2008, 11:49 AM
There are worse GMs than Savage, but he did make a number of mistakes with the Browns. He gave out quite a few bad contracts to free agents (Baxter, Bentley, Stallworth, Shaffer, Anderson), and his drafting wasn't all that great outside of the first round. It's not like Cincy or Arizona where the owners don't spend much money, Savage got to play like a kid in the candy store and his teams still suck.

Yep plus he hired a worthless coach.

I am excited about the candidates except for Savage.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Cowher and Pioli would cost Clark a mint

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Now that Cowher has express an interest in coaching if the front office situation is right (and he apparently doesn't think it is in New York) I could see Pioli and Cowher in KC.

And I agree with the other thread -- Cowher is not Marty. He isn't as close-minded on the offensive side of the ball, has won a Super Bowl, and has shown he knows how to coach a defense and evaluate talent. I would be happy with Cowher and I think the team would respond well to him.

No. Cowher is not coming here. He turned down the Jets because he wants his own personnel guys, and the Jets do NOT want to get rid of their GM, all this according to ESPN. Cowher wants a lot of power that Pioli will have, it would simply not mesh obviously.

DaneMcCloud
Savage would be a fine hire. He loaded up the Browns with talent but Crennel and company couldn't deliver.

His radio shows could be epic. Could you imagine him going off on some dumbass hillbilly who tells him not to draft a QB because it's risky?

That would classic.

BigCatDaddy
Cowher and Pioli would cost Clark a mint

They can afford it with the money they saved by not spending on players this season.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
They can afford it with the money they saved by not spending on players this season.

How many million did they mark down to put into Arrowhead
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
it's a business and needs to be run that way

DTLB58
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Phil Savage? Oh God no.
He just got shitcanned. That's not a great way to start a new administration.
Coming on the heels of being fired by another organization. No thanks.

I like that he's interested in Pioli, Polian, and DeCosta though.

Bill Billicheck got fired from Cleveland and then was hired by New England.

If you cross off your list all the guys that have been fired from their jobs in the NFL you will have a very short list.

lazepoo
12-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Those weren't bad contracts so much as bad luck. Bentley and Baxter were both highly regarded before they got injured, and there were plenty of people that would have been happy with Anderson after last year around here, not to mention in other places across the league... Savage might be a dick, but he has made moves to bring in good talent, and the Browns are stocked. I don't think you would find many people that don't think the Browns underachieved this year.

shaneo69
12-30-2008, 12:02 PM
CHIEFS TO CHASE PIOLI, TOO? (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/30/chiefs-to-chase-pioli-too/)

Per Mort, Hunt is also interested in keeping coach Herm Edwards, but if the new G.M. doesn’t want to keep Edwards it won’t be a deal breaker.

Yeah, it won't be a deal-breaker, okay. It will just be strongly recommended I'm sure.

What I'm afraid of, is that if the new GM doesn't want to keep Herm, he won't be the new GM. If that makes any sense.

Hoover
12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Another good move by Clark. I love the comment about wanting to make another 20 year hire. That has to be music to the ears of a potential GM.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe the keeping Herm talk is to weed out the kiss asses
-straw grasping

DaWolf
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM
The problem with Savage was that he put together a dysfunctional front office and the word is there was lots of bickering between the front office and the coaching staff. That's the last thing we need here now. I think Savage is an excellent talent evaluator and can run a personnel job, but he is probably not suited as a GM at this point and time, though I don't doubt he learned some valuable lessons on the job.

I'm quite keen on the idea of Polian:

Meet the Colts Other Polian (http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page.asp?content=14243)
http://chicago.ibj.com/repository/ibj/2008/04/28/58/Img/Pc0580200.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
The problem with Savage was that he put together a dysfunctional front office and the word is there was lots of bickering between the front office and the coaching staff. That's the last thing we need here now. I think Savage is an excellent talent evaluator and can run a personnel job, but he is probably not suited as a GM at this point and time, though I don't doubt he learned some valuable lessons on the job.

Meet the Colts Other Polian (http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page.asp?content=14243)

That tends to happen when pieces are already in place before you take the job.

He had no such problems running the show in Baltimore.

As for Polian, I'd be happy to have him, but I don't see him leaving Indy.

Coach
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
While Savage may not be a good choice, he'd still be an improvement over Bradway.

BigMeatballDave
What I'm afraid of, is that if the new GM doesn't want to keep Herm, he won't be the new GM. If that makes any sense.If thats the case, then I hope they all turn Clark down. Maybe Clark would get the point.

FloridaMan88
Polian and Pioli are my top two choices.

Both understand the importance of finding the right QB, as the foundation for a successful rebuilding job.

Mr. Laz
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Savage is not a bad GM.
i didn't think he was bad either

CoMoChief
12-30-2008, 12:14 PM
1 - DeCosta
2 - Pioli
3 - Polian

Then bring in Schwartz (Titans DC) as the HC.

Decosta - GM
Spagnuoloa - HC
Schwartz - DC
Gailey - OC
A fucking retarded monkey can coach ST better than Phiefer

DJ's left nut
12-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Polian and Pioli are my top two choices.

Both understand the importance of finding the right QB, as the foundation for a successful rebuilding job.

Understood it so well, in fact, that Pioli used 6th round picks to grab them.

I just don't get the love for that guy. He may be a great GM, but so many things are being attributed to him that are just not accurate.

Great drafter
Great at managing a coaching staff
Cured cancer.

The guy has followed BB everywhere, has never had to assemble a coaching staff and has not been all that good in terms of drafting. Yes, he's presided over a team with a good QB so he's seen that a good QB can help. At the same time, he just presided over a good team with a lousy QB in Cassel that he got in the 6th round, so for all we know he may think that an average QB can be had in the 6th round that will be a world beater.

There's nobody out there more likely to keep Thigpen than Pioli, IMO. There's also nobody out there who's reputation more greatly outshines his raw accomplishments than Pioli.

DaWolf
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM

I was under the impression Ozzie Newsome ran the show in Baltimore...

beach tribe
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, it won't be a deal-breaker, okay. It will just be strongly recommended I'm sure.

What I'm afraid of, is that if the new GM doesn't want to keep Herm, he won't be the new GM. If that makes any sense.

I think Herm, and Clark are buddies, and doesn't want to fire Herm himself, but wouldn't think twice about doing it if the new GM doesn't want to keep him.

shaneo69
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM

70 hours? He's not working. He's just sitting there watching a freakin' football game.

Hell, between college and pro ball, I guess I work about 23 hours every weekend in the fall, 27 if you count the pre-game "analysis".

dirk digler
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM

As for Polian, I'd be happy to have him, but I don't see him leaving Indy.

Savage had to answer to Ozzie so he really didn't run anything.

Prior to rejoining the Browns, Savage spent the previous nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, including the last two (2003-04) as Director of Player Personnel and worked directly with general manager Ozzie Newsome to oversee both college and pro scouting.

Also he was about to get fired after his first season in Cleveland because he couldn't get along with the President of the team.

On December 30, 2005, reports surfaced that Savage was on the verge of being fired after less than one year on the job, an item that was quickly denied by Browns management. The speculation was based on a reported personality conflict between Savage and Browns team president John Collins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Collins_%28American_Football_executive%29).

Four days after the organizational rift became public, it was Collins who resigned his post after losing the power struggle with Savage.

dorseybowe
12-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Although Pioli has an attractive resume, I think Polian's philosophy and mindset best matches Clark's decision to build the team through the draft.

shaneo69
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Polian's dad is so old, I've gotta believe that Irsay or whoever's running that team has guaranteed that Chris will take over in a year or two whenever Bill kicks the bucket.

old_geezer
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM

This is really starting to bother me. Why in the hell does Clarke continue to support this loser in any way, shape or form? He's lost 23 of his last 25 games. That's NOT improvement.

I was reading an article in the KC Star this morning about coaches who had lost their jobs or were in serious danger because of their performance. Dick Jauron of Buffalo who went 2-8 down the stretch - one of those wins a blowout over the Chiefs. Marinelli of Detroit who went 0-16 this year and has won only one of his last 24 games - against the Chiefs.

Earth to Clark....THIS IS NOT IMPROVEMENT! Under Herm we have become the ugly stepchild of every bad team in the NFL. Even the worst of the worst can still beat the Chiefs. Get rid of Herm and his group of stooges before Arrowhead becomes a ghost town.

Seeing Peterson gone is wonderful but the thought of one more season of Edwards makes me sick. :cuss:

beach tribe
Understood it so well, in fact, that Pioli used 6th round picks to grab them.

I just don't get the love for that guy. He may be a great GM, but so many things are being attributed to him that are just not accurate.

Great drafter
Great at managing a coaching staff
Cured cancer.

The guy has followed BB everywhere, has never had to assemble a coaching staff and has not been all that good in terms of drafting. Yes, he's presided over a team with a good QB so he's seen that a good QB can help. At the same time, he just presided over a good team with a lousy QB in Cassel that he got in the 6th round, so for all we know he may think that an average QB can be had in the 6th round that will be a world beater.

There's nobody out there more likely to keep Thigpen than Pioli, IMO. There's also nobody out there who's reputation more greatly outshines his raw accomplishments than Pioli.

I was worried about that. Him maybe passing on Stafford because of the luck he's had with late round QBs. I would kill him.

shaneo69
Decosta - GM
Spagnuoloa - HC
Schwartz - DC
Gailey - OC
A ****ing retarded monkey can coach ST better than Phiefer

Wow. Where to start. Okay, if Decosta comes in, he'd probably bring in someone from the Ravens (Rex Ryan?) as the HC. Does he have any ties whatsoever to Spags? The NFL is a buddy-buddy league, these guys are going to go with what's comfortable.

Schwartz as DC? Really? Even assuming Spagnuolo gets the HC job, do you really think Schwartz would leave as the Titans' DC to take a lateral move and become our DC? Especially when he's probably one of the top 4 HC candidates out there right now? Does he and Spags have any ties?

It's great to just pick the best guys and plug them in, but come on, be a little realistic.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Decosta - GM
Spagnuoloa - HC
Schwartz - DC
Gailey - OC
A fucking retarded monkey can coach ST better than Phiefer

Why would Schwartz make a lateral move from the Titans to the Chiefs? That doesn't make much sense.

Furthermore, if a n00b like Spanuoloa was hired, I'd expect him to bring in people from Philly and NY. People he knows.

shaneo69
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Why would Schwartz make a lateral move from the Titans to the Chiefs? That doesn't make much sense.

Furthermore, if a n00b like Spanuoloa was hired, I'd expect him to bring in people from Philly and NY. People he knows.

pwned

dorseybowe
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Additionally, I feel the Patriots' current front office is inherently evil.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Polian's dad is so old, I've gotta believe that Irsay or whoever's running that team has guaranteed that Chris will take over in a year or two whenever Bill kicks the bucket.

He's 65. The same age as (ahem), Marty.

I wouldn't consider that old, as long as he's in good health.

Basileus777
12-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Additionally, I feel the Patriots' current front office is inherently evil.

If evil gets us wins, fuck it.

dorseybowe
12-30-2008, 12:49 PM
If evil gets us wins, **** it.

Always

PhillyChiefFan
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

Why?? he plays to win the game.

- 6 wins in 32 games

- 15 wins in 48 games

- a 31% win percentage

Championships are built on coaches such as Herm. Why wouldn't a GM keep him? :D

Mr. Flopnuts
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Savage is probably just as good as Pioli.

This.

bowener
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM

And no ****ing way to Savage.

Id rather have the other 3, but savage seems to have loaded his team with talented kids, but a terrible coach.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Y'all are starting to scare me with Pioli
I can now see him bring in Mike Vick

Stanley Nickels
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Why?? he plays to win the game.

- 6 wins in 32 games

- 15 wins in 48 games

- a 31% win percentage

Championships are built on coaches such as Herm. Why wouldn't a GM keep him? :D

Herm Edwards has less wins in three seasons than the Patriots did in last year's REGULAR season.

Big Chief Homer
12-30-2008, 01:53 PM
and even former Browns G.M. Phil Savage.[/B]

That will go over well......

Chiefs Fans- DAMMIT PHIL

Savage- **** YOU Go Root For the Raiders

FloridaMan88
12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure what the attraction to Phil Savage is.

He hasn't proven that he can win without having the benefit of working under Ozzie Newsome (The Browns were 24-40 with Savage as GM).

Also if the Chiefs are looking for a kinder, gentler image after Dictator Carl, it doesn't sound like Savage fits that qualification.

Also remember Savage's first "QBOTF" draft pick for the Browns was Charlie Frye.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2008, 02:24 PM

He hasn't proven that he can win without having the benefit of working under Ozzie Newsome (The Browns were 24-40 with Savage as GM).

Also if the Chiefs are looking for a kinder, gentler image after Dictator Carl, it doesn't sound like Savage fits that qualification.

Also remember Savage's first "QBOTF" draft pick for the Browns was Charlie Frye.

He was a third rounder. That doesn't exactly make him QBOTF.

And let's not forget, he claimed Derrick Anderson off of waivers from the team for whom he was previously employed.

And Anderson was a sixth round pick who's only 25 years old today.

The Bad Guy
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Savage actually piled up some impressive talent with the Browns.

My order of preference would be:

Pioli/Decosta - 1
Polian - 2
The other Ravens guy 3
Savage - 4

dirk digler
12-30-2008, 02:36 PM

I don't either and I agree with your take.

FloridaMan88
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
He was a third rounder. That doesn't exactly make him QBOTF.

And let's not forget, he claimed Derrick Anderson off of waivers from the team for whom he was previously employed.

And Anderson was a sixth round pick who's only 25 years old today.

Considering the fact Frye entered the following season (2006 season) as the Browns starting QB and the fact he started 13 games for them that season, I'd say Savage had every intention of making Frye the Browns QBOTF.

And after Derek Anderson's absolute disaster of a season this year, where he lost his starting job, completed barely 50% of this passes... I wouldn't exactly use him as an example of Savage's ability to evaluate QB talent.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Michael Smith ESPN-NFL Live: Shit Your Pants
Chiefs looking at Marty in the Parcels role
with J Raye as GM and Cam Cameron as HC

DJ's left nut
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Herm Edwards has less wins in three seasons than the Patriots did in last year's REGULAR season.

The Patriots won as many games in the 2008 postseason as the Chiefs did in the 2008 regular season.

This is not an endorsement of Pioli, just pointing out that Herm and Carl suck bawls.

old_geezer
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Id rather have the other 3, but savage seems to have loaded his team with talented kids, but a terrible coach.

No problem, we've already got a terrible coach on hand. He just needs to bring the talented kids.

locomoulds
01-02-2009, 05:11 AM
and even former Browns G.M. Phil Savage.[/B]

Chiefs Fans- DAMMIT PHIL

Actually Savage has acquired imperssive talent in his time with the Ravens/Browns. In his time in Baltimore and Cleveland, he's drafted the following first-round Pro Bowlers: Peter Boulware, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Todd Heap, Terrelle Suggs, Chris McCallister, Joe Thomas and Braylon Edwards. I challenge you to find me three GMs in the league that have drafted better talent. The problem with the Browns was the coaching not the GM.

CHIEF4EVER
01-02-2009, 05:17 AM

Allow me to translate the above quote from 'Boss speak' into English:

"Herm, pack your s**t.".

SenselessChiefsFan
01-02-2009, 07:55 AM

The longer it takes, the more chance that we will have Herm back.

Delano
01-02-2009, 08:05 AM
The longer it takes, the more chance that we will have Herm back.

Umm, no.

ILChief
01-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I get a feeling it's going to be DeCosta. Which is fine with me. If it was going to be Savage/Reese/or any other unemployed guy he would have already talked to them. I think Pioli goes to Cleveland and Polian stays in Indy to succeed his dad. DeCosta should be a good GM.

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2009, 08:25 AM
DeCosta should be a good GM.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/12/31/705639/getting-to-know-a-gm-eric

MahiMike
01-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I still say Clark is gonna let the new GM do the dirty work of letting Herm go. He'll only hire a GM that'll bring his own guys in.

Extra Point
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I still say Clark is gonna let the new GM do the dirty work of letting Herm go. He'll only hire a GM that'll bring his own guys in.

I hope you're right.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
and even former Browns G.M. Phil Savage.[/b]

Chiefs Fans- DAMMIT PHIL

at least it would be an Honest "FUCK YOU"

King Carl said Fuck You to the fans ALL the freakin time with his actions.

hell .... every Rufus Dawes article was a big FUCK YOU

do a great job and keep the Chiefs in legitimate super bowl contention and the new GM can yell "Fuck You" at me every sunday.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I still say Clark is gonna let the new GM do the dirty work of letting Herm go.
i think this is exactly it

Clark wants everyone in the NFL to know that he is a "hands off" owner just like his dad.

besides ... he's still paying Herm, why not keeping him working?

Other than fan panic .... it really doesnt hurt anything.

chiefsngop
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Whoever the new GM turns out to be ;

if his first decision is to keep Herman Edwards on as head coach of his team.

Well, he loses all credibility with me right off the bat, and I won't expect much success under his watch with those decision making abilities.

No way does a GM, whose going to make the moves to take us to a Super Bowl, look at Herm's track record and failure to take any accountability and make the decision to leave him in place.

Danman
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
From everything I hear Clark's very business like. He's going to privately interview candidates without consulting the press. We probably won't know who it is till hours before the press conference.

bkkcoh
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
From everything I hear Clark's very business like. He's going to privately interview candidates without consulting the press. We probably won't know who it is till hours before the press conference.

Isn't that the way is should be done, but isn't usually?

:banghead:

RedThat
01-02-2009, 12:49 PM
at least it would be an Honest "**** YOU"

King Carl said **** You to the fans ALL the freakin time with his actions.

hell .... every Rufus Dawes article was a big **** YOU

do a great job and keep the Chiefs in legitimate super bowl contention and the new GM can yell "**** You" at me every sunday.

ROFL this is funny

warrior
01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I get a feeling it's going to be DeCosta. Which is fine with me. If it was going to be Savage/Reese/or any other unemployed guy he would have already talked to them. I think Pioli goes to Cleveland and Polian stays in Indy to succeed his dad. DeCosta should be a good GM.

DeCosta would be good Spagnuolo as HC, bye Herm. :)

SAUTO
01-02-2009, 01:02 PM
ROFL this is funny

yep and i feel the same way, tell me fuck you every day as long as we're winning

RedThat
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Well, he loses all credibility with me right off the bat, and I won't expect much success under his watch with those decision making abilities.

No way does a GM, whose going to make the moves to take us to a Super Bowl, look at Herm's track record and failure to take any accountability and make the decision to leave him in place.

Well Im gonna say, you never know. you just never know? Anything could happen. I always keep that in the back of my mind.

I would like to go by history and let my mind believe for the sake of optimism that a GOOD majority of the time when a new GM is hired, 90% of the time that new GM is going to want to bring in his own set of guys who he feels he can build a winning program with. Herms chances of staying are pretty slim. Unless that new GM somehow thinks his team can win with Herm or there is something about Herm that would make him want to retain his services? Or if he possibly has some sort of ties with Herm?

i agree with ya, if that new GM decides to keep Herm, right away he loses credibility in my book as well because imo Most of us Chiefs fans including myself have that wish list for Herm and the rest of the staff to be fired. We can see that Herm doesn't win and are not sold on the "rebuilding" project he is trying to bring. I think it's just an excuse for losing.

Yes that record of losing 23 out of the last 25 games should speak a lot. Hopefully the Chiefs hire a new GM that WANTS to win and that he will see that record and take it into consideration and fire Herm. I hope the new GM doesn't look past that. Losing is painful, and keeping Herm would add to more losing and more pain.

TEX
01-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I hope you're right but IMO, Clark really wants Herm back.

King_Chief_Fan
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I hope you're right but IMO, Clark really wants Herm back.

which is why the CHiefs won't get a top notch GM

TEX
01-02-2009, 06:26 PM

That's the way I see it as well. I think most are with you here. Let's hope those who count are too.

TEX
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Unfortunately I have this sinking feeling that you're correct. Any GM that comes in having to compromise, is not the guy I want running things.

chiefsngop
01-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Yeah, and a few weeks ago, Clark was keeping Carl and Herm around for another year too. According to most posters and the press.

He's tight lipped, business like, and professional. This was proven with the Carl Peterson resignation / termination.

Clark could have the axe hovering over Herm's head, just waiting for the new GM to swing it, and we'd never know till just after it happened.

It's hard to take much stock in all these "Clark's going to do this" or "Clark wants this" assumptions after the Carl Peterson thing snuck up on everybody.

Fact is, we don't know, and will have to wait.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, and a few weeks ago, Clark was keeping Carl and Herm around for another year too. According to most posters and the press.

He's tight lipped, business like, and professional. This was proven with the Carl Peterson resignation / termination.

Clark could have the axe hovering over Herm's head, just waiting for the new GM to swing it, and we'd never know till just after it happened.

It's hard to take much stock in all these "Clark's going to do this" or "Clark wants this" assumptions after the Carl Peterson thing snuck up on everybody.

Fact is, we don't know, and will have to wait.

Rep.

KChiefs1
01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Polian is now available for an interview. How long before we hear anything about it?