PDA

View Full Version : Football Callahan may get a chance to move up

alanm
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Published Tuesday December 30, 2008
Callahan may get a chance to move up
FROM WORLD-HERALD PRESS SERVICES

NEW YORK - Yes, former Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan is still employed as a New York Jets assistant coach.

And the 52-year-old Callahan may even be a candidate to replace former Jets head coach Eric Mangini, who was fired Monday after he compiled a 23-26 record in three seasons.

General Manager Mike Tannenbaum didn't fire any of Mangini's assistants, met with most of them Monday and said some will be retained by the new head coach.

Callahan, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and defensive line coach Dan Quinn are among the assistant coaches the Jets would like to keep, a person within the organization told the Newark Star-Ledger.

Callahan and Schottenheimer are expected to interview for the head-coaching position.

Callahan was named the NFL team's offensive line coach and assistant head coach for offense after he was fired at Nebraska following a 5-7 season in 2007.

The Star-Ledger reported that several Jets offensive linemen lobbied with the news media Monday for Callahan to be retained.

An example of Callahan's work, they said, was the improvement of left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who "took a quantum leap" under Callahan and should have been selected as the Pro Bowl starter instead of Buffalo's Jason Peters.

The Jets reportedly are checking on former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, Dolphins executive Bill Parcells and Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for their interest.

Parcells might be long shot because he probably would demand duo titles of head coach and general manager if he is interested. The Jets said Monday they didn't want their head coach to deal with personnel matters. Cowher apparently already has turned down the Cleveland Browns.

Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Jaguars assistant head coach Mike Tice also may get interviews, the Star-Ledger reported.

Mangini's fall was surprising. Owner Woody Johnson was talking about giving him an extension after an 8-3 start that included victories at New England and Tennessee.

The Jets (9-7) lost four of their last five games and missed the playoffs.

"This isn't a decision that we reached yesterday or 10 minutes ago," Johnson said Monday. "This is a decision that was basically running through the season.

"Mike and I talk every day. . . . We respect Eric for what he's done, but we want to build on the successful foundation that he's laid.

"I don't think it was one thing. It was just Mike's and my judgment that we had to go in a different direction."

Mangini was criticized for his in-game decisions and failure to make in-game adjustments, but Johnson and Tannenbaum refused to be specific about what led them to fire Mangini.

Players said they were surprised by the move.

"Certain things you don't see coming, and it catches you off-guard," cornerback Ty Law said. "It's unfortunate. Eric is a great coach. He deserves better, especially from us as players."

<!-- Display copyright if source of story is not AP --> Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom (http://www.owh.com/inside-page.php?id=newsroom)
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918&u_sid=10526164

ROFLROFL:LOL:ROFLROFL

alanm
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
I thought this was amusing. :D

the Talking Can
12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
awesome

Bugeater
12-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh dear.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-30-2008, 09:01 PM
LMAO

Crush
12-30-2008, 09:03 PM
ouch

Cormac
12-30-2008, 09:03 PM
So it can be worse than being a Chiefs fan with Herm at the helm....

kstater
12-30-2008, 09:04 PM
ROFL

FringeNC
12-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd take him over Edwards if I only had those two options.

tk13
12-30-2008, 09:06 PM
See, it really could be worse, haha.

Bugeater
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM

In that case I'd take the shotgun blast to the face option.

alanm
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
He's a great O line coach and Offensive coordinator.
HC - not so much. :shake:

Sam Hall
12-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey, this is New York football Jets Callahan. I screwed you and I'll screw them, Husker fan.

Over-Head
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
In that case I'd take the shotgun blast to the face option.
Double ought Buck or rock salt?

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I thought this was amusing. :D
Jets fans would prob rather have herm back.

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Tell the jets we'll give them our 4th rounder if they take him back.

Bugeater
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey, this is New York football Jets Callahan. I screwed you and I'll screw them, Husker fan.

ROFL I have no idea why but that shit still cracks me up. You'd think I'd be over it by now.

Sam Hall
12-30-2008, 11:05 PM
ROFL I have no idea why but that shit still cracks me up. You'd think I'd be over it by now.

He wasn't as funny this year but I still like it. 1620 has his four stages of grief on their site right now. I want to hear the one after the Texas game where he talks about meeting Joe Gansz for the first time.