PDA

View Full Version : Life Hippy Medicine

Iowanian
12-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm sure some of you are into alternative medicine/healing stuff.

Frankly, I've never bought into a lot of it, but I think some of it has merrit.
I've had a chiropractor hand me sandwich bags of seeds and whatnot to make "teas" for different ailments before, and never followed through with his suggestions, because a cup of oats and dandilions didn't look too appealing.

Now, I kind of need to look to some of these things for reasons I don't want to get into very deeply.

Anway. To start the conversation/advice.....I'd like to know informed opinions on "cleansing" products.(not urine for a drug test....intestines)

Deberg_1990
12-30-2008, 09:44 PM
This sounds like another weed thread??

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Draino.

(obligatory smart-ass response)

Hope you and the fam are ok.

Over-Head
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Drano.ROFL

LOCOChief
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
OPC Xtra

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Oxy Powder. Look it up.

I have no personal experience, but know of several people that swear by it.

Chief Wiggum
12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm not one for the hippy medicine either - prune juice can't take care of it?

Chief Wiggum
12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not one for the hippy medicine either - prune juice can't take care of it?

My first post in months and it's to help Iowanian pass something...

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-30-2008, 09:54 PM
My first post in months and it's to help Iowanian pass something...

congratulations

Skip Towne
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Put an aspirin in a coke. It will get you drunk.

petegz28
12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Milkthistle and beets for liver, cranberry juice for kidneys, fiber and chayenne pepper (spelling) for bowels. And tons of water...tons and tons of water. Also look up lymphatic mover tea. Your lymphatic system is an important part of cleansing.

Thos are some basics anyway. But as with any natural, it takes a lot of use over time. It will not work instantly like a drug.

Iowanian
12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
I knew this was going to bring out the wisenheimers, and I admittedly expected and deserve it.

For those with serious answers(no antifreeze yet?) please tell a little about the product and in very general terms what to expect.

Is it pills, alot of them/day...harsh on the stomach? Liquid, drink a gallon and expect a 1 day shit attack? Stay at the house for a day or a week or proceed as per usual?

petegz28
12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I knew this was going to bring out the wisenheimers, and I admittedly expected and deserve it.

For those with serious answers(no antifreeze yet?) please tell a little about the product and in very general terms what to expect.

Is it pills, alot of them/day...harsh on the stomach? Liquid, drink a gallon and expect a 1 day shit attack? Stay at the house for a day or a week or proceed as per usual?

If you want a regimen, go to Whole Foods and get a dtox pack. But from what I have found, it takes a good couple months to really clean you out good like.

Milkthistle you can get in pill form, take it about 20 min before you eat. Get some natural fiber and mix it up with a little cayenne pepper. Also eat some leafy greens a lot. And again, tons of water. If you like beets they are also great for your liver.

Iowanian
12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
If cayenne pepper is the hot stuff....its not an option.

I'm not looking to go "berkley" here....just help with an issue, but I do appreciate the advice and effort.

NewChief
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.publichealthforums.com/r-1-bowtrol-reviews.html

petegz28
12-30-2008, 10:12 PM

I'm not looking to go "berkley" here....just help with an issue, but I do appreciate the advice and effort.

Ok here are some cleansing\purifying foods you can choose from...

Bay, black pepper, horseradish, peppermint, thyme, tumeric, coconut, grapefruit, guava, lemon, lime, melon, orange, anisette, beer, creme de menthe, fresh juices, flowers, honey, lemonade, lemon sorbet, onion soup, orange juice, peppermint tea, salt, shellfish, steamed foods, vinegar, WATER

AVOID: canned foods, dried foods, meat, preserved foods.

This is more for a diet. If you are looking to do it quick and in a rush as I said, get an all-natural dtox package from whole foods.

Otter
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
A glass of Metamucil in the morning and after a big meal does wonders for me. I will warn you however, movements can come on quiet sudden.

If that doesn't work, try this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2658156521_6b989e04b2.jpg

Iowanian
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
This isn't really about a daily dump.....

Its about helping another issue, but I thought a "Cleanse" might be a good start.

One of the wife's cousins was talking jibberish about a colonic....which will happen over my dead body.

petegz28
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Its about helping another issue, but I thought a "Cleanse" might be a good start.

One of the wife's cousins was talking jibberish about a colonic....which will happen over my dead body.

The list of foods I gave you are the natural foods used for purifying your body, according to my Wiccan Cookbook. As I said though, going natural takes time to work. But if you follow what I gave you and avoid the avoidables in a week or two you should be feeling better. Your body will naturaly cleanse and these foods will aid in that process.

Over-Head
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Put an aspirin in a coke. It will get you drunk.
only if you chase it with a beer, drank through a straw of course

KC Jones
12-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Frankly I think the whole 'bowel cleansing' thing is a load of crap.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html

BigOlChiefsfan
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Whatever the problem, hope you feel better soon.

Senna is an herb, and Senna leaf in one form or another is a pretty hi-power laxative. It's usually sold over the counter as 'Ex-Lax', 'Sennakot' and 'Correctol'. Senna leaf tea is sold near me as a 'weight loss' tea at a Thai grocer, cheap as hell. Not how I plan to lose weight, but hey...I bet you can find senna tea in nearby asian stores but I'm not sure Iowa is that well stocked with Asian stores. Ex-lax or Sennakot, tho...at any drug store. You can also go to the drug store and ask for a bottle of magnesium citrate. Should come in a green bottle, about 10 oz or so, will taste like a really bad bottle of lemon-lime soda. You do not want to let a lot of folks stand between you and the porta-potty after you guzzle a bottle of this stuff, and as for 'cleansing'...well, they use this as part of the prep work for a colonscopy. Don't ask how I know all this, just say 'better you than me'. Which is what I'm saying to YOU this time.

Best wishes, whatever is happening I'm betting it's not funny from your side of the computer screen. Hang tough, as it says in the good book, 'This too shall pass'.

Senna (http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Use-Senna-For-Constipation-Relief&id=40636)

magnesium citrate (http://www.drugs.com/mtm/magnesium-citrate.html)

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM

I would go with MD over chiro anyday.
If the chiro helps pain fine but don't let them stray from their area of expertise.
I went to a chiro for back issues and he tried to pawn off shit for some other medical conditions I had.
Don't let the jiffy lube guy work on your transmission go with what your MD says.

el borracho
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what kind of cleansing you are looking to do but you might start by dropping dairy from your diet and reducing your intake of meats and other proteins (which can be difficult to process). You might also consider fasting for a few days (you still need to drink liquids and can add things like honey or lemon juice while you do this).

If there is any kind of herbal store or Whole Foods type hippie grocery you might seek more help there and you might try asking a pharmacist at a drug store, as well.

Bwana
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't have enough information to toss something out there and I understand why you wouldn't want to post "all" the information on a board. A good place to start is go here and run a search.

Good Luck

http://www.naturalnews.com/

Buehler445
12-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Jeesh, buddy. Hope everything is OK.

I know shit about hippy stuff, but veggies are supposed to be good at scrubbing your intestines. The cellulose (I think is what it is called) in the cell walls of plants helps to scrape the guck out of the little wrinkles in your intestines, include it with a shitasston of water, and it will go a long way to healthy-ing up your intestines. <-- Hows that for a scientific answer. :)

Demonpenz
12-31-2008, 09:32 AM
The one person who could help you the most on here, thought there was no way Obama would be president

Chiefnj2
12-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Take some of that Alli diet pill stuff. Don't stray further than 5 feet from your American Standard and have a box of wet wipes available.

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 09:48 AM
The one person who could help you the most on here, thought there was no way Obama would be president

This is true, but I know that other regulars, or some lurker is full of good information.

I'm reading the links, looking into some of the suggestions when I have time.

Some of the stuff I see relating to "natural medicine" just seems so hoaky. The herbal remedees don't, and have been proven useful by Indians and in truth, many modern pharma-medicines come from plants.

The foot soaking to draw out toxins.... c'mon.

seclark
12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
have you tried yogurt? after i had some guts cut out, they told me to eat yogurt every day.
also the metimucial(sp? wgaf!)
t & p's iowa,
sec

Chiefnj2
12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
The foot soaking to draw out toxins.... c'mon.

Rub some garlic on the bottom of your feet and see if you taste it in your mouth 15-20 minutes later.

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 09:59 AM
So you don't think that is complete BS?
You have done it/do it?

I've had people who are "into" this type of stuff suggest its BS, previously.

My old shoes smell like corn chips, I'll put them on and see if I can taste Fritos, if I'm out of garlic.

I guess I do know some old timers that say you should put Vics on the bottoms of the feet and toes under socks when you're sick with a cold.

Demonpenz
12-31-2008, 10:01 AM
foot soaking and some of that shit may seem hokey but maybe you can do it while watching football. Duel purpose

angelo
12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Sounds like you need some poo tea for your booty.

This stuff works like a charm. All though I would not plan anything for the next morning or early afternoon.

I drink a cup once a week to clean the pipes.

Ang

blueballs
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
water is your friend for cleansing
foods with high water content and drink natural juices
avoid salt -common sense told you that though

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 10:48 AM
You drink that in the evening and it makes a jail break in the morning, or you drink it in the browns make a mad dash for the boarder while the guard isn't looking?

angelo
12-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Have a cup before you go to bed and in the morning you will do nothing but poo.

Ang

Saulbadguy
12-31-2008, 11:13 AM
It's all a scam. You don't have crap accumulating in your intestines.

Inspector
12-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Don't they make an edible gerbil repellent that will just drive them little boogers out?

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
It's all a scam. You don't have crap accumulating in your intestines.

Thank you for your well educated and informed medical diagnosis.

BigChiefFan
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds weird, but I heard apple vinegar helps a great deal.

Saulbadguy
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Thank you for your well educated and informed medical diagnosis.

Your welcome.

If you want to keep regular, eat more foods with fiber in it, and drink more water. If you don't like to eat foods with fiber in them, or want to supplement that, I recommend fiber caplets with ground psyllium husks in them.

I use this stuff.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2173

Saulbadguy
12-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I've tried a couple "cleanse" products. They just gave me gas. However if you want to try it I would try not eating for a couple days and just drink water and fiber. It will achieve the same results you are looking for.

Chiefnj2
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
If I wanted to cleanse my body, I would just google the procedure patients have to use when getting a colonoscopy or similar scan.

I'm generally in favor of a lot of herbal type remedies, but the pills and powders that produce 4 foot long feces are, IMO, bunk. If everyone who hasn't "cleansed" with those products has these ginormous buildups then why aren't they present when you get a colonoscopy or why haven't you ever seen an autopsy photo of these things? They only come about after you've taken the powder/pills.

seclark
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
, but the pills and powders that produce 4 foot long feces are, IMO, bunk.

4 feet long???
good gravy, i'd need a chain saw just to get it to flush!
sec

triple
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
on the local news they did that foot-soaking stuff. they had a chemist test the water to see if toxins claimed were really being drawn out of the feet.

There was no trace of them, no evidence whatsoever the footsoaking removes anything but money from your wallet.

Saulbadguy
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm generally in favor of a lot of herbal type remedies, but the pills and powders that produce 4 foot long feces are, IMO, bunk. If everyone who hasn't "cleansed" with those products has these ginormous buildups then why aren't they present when you get a colonoscopy or why haven't you ever seen an autopsy photo of these things? They only come about after you've taken the powder/pills.

There is a reason they are advertised on daytime television...

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 02:06 PM
I thought I'd stated before, but this query doesn't have a lot to do with "staying regular".

There is a time and place for the medically necessary chemical induced shit attack....

Saulbadguy
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
I thought I'd stated before, but this query doesn't have a lot to do with "staying regular".

There is a time and place for the medically necessary chemical induced shit attack....

Might I suggest a gorge of Indian food, buffalo wings and taco bell?

Or if you want to go cheap go to Walgreens and buy a bottle of codliver oil or castor oil and follow the directions on the bottle. A fleet enema is inexpensive and works well too.

The "herbal" cleansing things or detox's are just a money grab.

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 02:15 PM

Saulbadguy
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
You're right, its probably just a tumor instead.

Then I would suggest an alternate route of treatment.

RaiderH8r
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Fleet. Go to your pharmacy, it's over the counter. It's what the doc tells you to take the day before a colonoscopy. Bottom line, it moves product. You may want to consider installing a seatbelt on the toilet first. After ingestion you have about 20 minutes to get to your safe place. You will be using the curry blast method of extrusion, no need to worry about coiled rope with this product.

EDIT: Dammit Saul. Fleet comes in the oral too. Don't have to go shoving things up your bunger needlessly....course if you're into that then. Whatever, NTTAWWT.

Bob Dole
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/AWNZcPsTpumQJGz132SGow"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/AWNZcPsTpumQJGz132SGow" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Johnny Vegas
12-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm sure some of you are into alternative medicine/healing stuff.

Frankly, I've never bought into a lot of it, but I think some of it has merrit.
I've had a chiropractor hand me sandwich bags of seeds and whatnot to make "teas" for different ailments before, and never followed through with his suggestions, because a cup of oats and dandilions didn't look too appealing.

Now, I kind of need to look to some of these things for reasons I don't want to get into very deeply.

Anway. To start the conversation/advice.....I'd like to know informed opinions on "cleansing" products.(not urine for a drug test....intestines)

yogurt, rice, uh now I can't remember the other two. Some sort of code if I remember right.

RaiderH8r
12-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Well if the "cleansing" you speak of has nothing to do with a rectal crash diet then the only other kind I know of would require....

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor_health/uploaded_images/douche-720856.jpg

Do you have that no so fresh feeling?

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM

Do the Master Cleanse (Lemon Cleanse).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse

http://www.themastercleansediet.org/what-is-the-master-cleanse-diet/recipe-for-the-master-cleanse-diet

My wife, several of her friends and my SIL all have done it and it works wonders. You have to be careful when coming off of it - you can't just stop and start eating. You start out in the morning with tablespoon of Sea Salt and a full glass of warm water. You drink the entire glass as quickly as possible.

Within 45 minutes, you'll be crapping like you've never crapped before.

Even though a small amount of cayenne pepper is required, you don't taste it. It's just there to balance out the flavor.

Most people that I know that did it for 10 days or more lost at least 12 pounds and kept it off.

I couldn't handle the Master Cleanse. I was just too hungry so instead, I decided to do the Hydro-Colonic. I did a series of three over the course of the week of my 40th birthday.

All I can say is that I'd never felt better in my life. Food smell and tasted better, my body felt better and I felt more alert. I went to a doctor who administered the hydro, so I wasn't uncomfortable. I'll go back for my 45th (in two more years).

Good luck!

Iowanian
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I made a selection.

After several different lines of advice, brideowanian selected a product.

I'm doing "garden of life" "perfect cleanse 10 day purification".

Its 3 stages....before dinner, after dinner and bedtime.

The pills are the size of midget fingers...and taste like hay.

The 2nd phase...the after dinner drink very well SHOULD make me crap....because it has the color, look, consistency and may very well taste like diarhea. bleeeeeeh. Its all I can do to choke it down...and haven't barfed it yet, with the 3rd attempt soon.

All night long, my guts feel like an old tub washing machine gurgling and swishing in there...boiling, gurgling, bubbling, chugging. It better be doing something to be worth it.

I've felt "strange" the past 2 days....physically. IS that normal with this type of stuff?