PDA

View Full Version : Football Cowher out of running for Jets job

12-30-2008, 10:47 PM
By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer
21 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—Bill Cowher is out of the running for the New York Jets’ vacant coaching job.

The team planned to sit down soon with the former Super Bowl-winning coach, and Cowher had expressed interest in the job, a person familiar with the search said earlier Tuesday. But the negotiations never advanced to scheduling a formal meeting.

“After reaching out to Coach Cowher’s representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position,” Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said Tuesday night.

Material items such as structure, money and length of contract were never discussed, according to a person familiar with the conversations who requested anonymity because the individual was not authorized to discuss the search.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 10:50 PM
PR -got to keep the talk going this off season
who know's who could be available next off season
NFL forgets quickly

Bowser
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Cowher had to hop the next beeline to Denver.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm guessing he never was IN the running, except in the minds of the media.

ArrowheadHawk
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm ready to hire somebody and let this media circus end. For fucks sake are the chiefs going to interview anybody?

The Bad Guy
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I just don't get the benefit to taking another year off. His coaching options are likely going to be much less next year.

blueballs
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Shanahan a year off
Holmgrem a year off
maybe Andy Ried a year off

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I just don't get the benefit to taking another year off. His coaching options are likely going to be much less next year.

Maybe the man values his family more than money?

And in the situation he's currently in, he's getting the best of both. 6 days a week with the family, and a healthy paycheck from CBS.

The Bad Guy
12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Maybe the man values his family more than money?

And in the situation he's currently in, he's getting the best of both. 6 days a week with the family, and a healthy paycheck from CBS.

The thing is 2 of his daughters live in NY. He is said to love the idea of coaching in NY. He has a place there already because of the CBS gig.

I just think this is the ideal job for him. The Panthers aren't firing John Fox next year, and that's the only "home" job he has a chance at.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2008, 11:35 PM
The thing is 2 of his daughters live in NY. He is said to love the idea of coaching in NY. He has a place there already because of the CBS gig.

I just think this is the ideal job for him. The Panthers aren't firing John Fox next year, and that's the only "home" job he has a chance at.

And you know as well as I do Frank that these guys spend 80-100 hours a week at the facility - regardless of where your family lives, you see very little of them.

I'm guessing that he's pretty damn happy living the best of both worlds right now - great job, great money and plenty of family time.

Sure-Oz
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
He may as well not return to coaching then

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
I bet Carolina or the Redskins job opens up next year. That is what he is holding out for.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM
I talked to a good friend in New York with ties to the NY Jets today about this development before it was announced. He told me this:

"Cowher's out. Woody Johnson didn't feel like proving, without absolute certainty, that the Jets are cursed and could never build a winner.

For fucksakes, we had Walt Michaels at 10-0 before going 10-6, Bill Parcells at 12-4 and up 10-0 at halftime and then Mangini at 8-3 with Brett Favre.

If we brought Cowher in and HE failed, we'd be fucked forever in a BILLION dollar stadium."

Take it FWIW.

And we think it sucks to be a Chiefs fans.