PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How would you feel about Mike Shannahan as Chiefs HC?

jAZ
12-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Poll

pr_capone
12-30-2008, 11:30 PM
DIE

el borracho
12-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Wouldn't be excited but I wouldn't be pissed, either. Probably not worth debating a whole lot because it seems like a really remote possibility.

Nzoner
12-30-2008, 11:32 PM
TD just said on NFL Network that he thinks KC will be the rat's next stop

Fishpicker
12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
pros: we'd be all set at running back. we could fully utilize thigpen with bootleg action.

cons: our defense would fall apart. we might wind up starting thigpen.

jjchieffan
Where's the obligatory, "well, as long as it means Herm is gone, I'll take him" option?

Ultra Peanut
I would laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Let's do this thang.

"Bob" Dobbs
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
I mentioned this in another thread... The only way I'd be happy with the rat as HC would be if Herm went to Denver. HERM FOR BRONCOS HEAD COACH!!!!!!

Mecca
12-30-2008, 11:43 PM
I'd take the guy, if you look at some of these other HC options he's one of the best ones, not to mention if we're looking at drafting a QB this guy would be a good coach for that.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-30-2008, 11:46 PM
At least were propably not gonna get ManGENIOUS.

Please no to The Rat!

ClevelandBronco
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Option 5, but not for the same reasons you guys have.

Mecca
12-30-2008, 11:48 PM
At least were propably not gonna get ManGENIOUS.

Please no to The Rat!

I'd like to know whats wrong with Mike Shanahan...

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I want either Shanahan, or the Pats offensive coordinator as my head coach.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Option 5, but not for the same reasons you guys have.

Sorry dude. I know you're not happy about this. But I am.

manchambo
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
If I posted a thread on whether I should date Halle Berry, what would your reaction be?

Same situation here. Of all available positions, and he could probably have most of them, why would he take KC, which is in a shambles? I honestly think some teams (e.g., San Diego) would consider firing their coach just to hire him. So why wouldn't he go somewhere with some nice pieces already in place? Or even to Dallas, which could contend for a superbowl with good chemistry and coaching.

Brock
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM

What's good about him? Without reaching back into irrelevant history....

88TG88
12-30-2008, 11:54 PM

His teams have sucked balls the past few years.

ChiefsCountry
12-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I like Schwartz from the Titans but the Rat would be good in KC if we cant get Schwartz. A grudge against the Donks and Raiders would go along way plus QB wise we couldnt go wrong.

chop
12-30-2008, 11:55 PM
He wouldn't be my first choice but I think he is better than our current coaches. He hasn't won anything without Elway but his teams are usually in the hunt. I would prefer Marty over the rat.

The Bad Guy
I'd take the guy, if you look at some of these other HC options he's one of the best ones, not to mention if we're looking at drafting a QB this guy would be a good coach for that.

100% agree.

The guy is an excellent offensive coach.

As long as he doesn't bring any of the coordinators from Denver, I'm 100% fine with the hire.

Mecca

His team is kind of you know rebuilding....the fact that they had a productive offense with 7 RB's on IR is pretty impressive if you ask me.

I'd take the guy because I think of we're gonna go for a QB first I couldn't think of a better coach to have working with him.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2008, 11:57 PM
He wouldn't be my first choice but I think he is better than our current coaches. He hasn't won anything without Elway but his teams are usually in the hunt. I would prefer Marty over the rat.

Marty over Shanahan? Are you high or just plain retarded?

ClevelandBronco
12-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Sorry dude. I know you're not happy about this. But I am.

I'm just confused.

1. Shanny should have been allowed to say he wanted to take some time off, or that he wanted to start over with a fresh situation. He's earned that much.

He shouldn't have been fired. Perhaps he refused those options.

2. Mr. Bowlen had better have one hell of a plan already in place or I don't understand the decision at all.

-----

I'll panic later. For now, I'm just disappointed in the way the situation was handled.

Ultra Peanut
12-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Marty over Shanahan? Are you high or just plain retarded?Well you see, one won a couple of Super Bowls but only because he had great players, and the other hasn't won shit. Ever.

Mecca
12-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Marty over Shanahan? Are you high or just plain retarded?

Winning bowls is bad!

I know 3 things he'd bring that I'm on board with, a pro style successful offense, a system that can use any RB so there'd be no more overpaying for that position and a guy that can develop a QB.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm just confused.

1. Shanny should have been allowed to say he wanted to take some time off, or start over with a fresh situation. He's earned that much.

He shouldn't have been fired. Perhaps he refused those options.

2. Mr. Bowlen had better have one hell of a plan already in place or I don't understand the decision at all.

-----

I'll panic later. For now, I'm just disappointed in the way the situation was handled.

I think Mike didn't want to fire Slowek. I think that was the sticking point. Pat and Mike wouldn't budge. I imagine you're feeling a lot like I did when Marty left. We had a couple of sub par years, but I wasn't ready to throw in the towel. I really am as sorry as I could be for you right now, while being so happy for myself and other Chiefs fans.

Brock
12-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Winning bowls is bad!

I know 3 things he'd bring that I'm on board with, a pro style successful offense, a system that can use any RB so there'd be no more overpaying for that position and a guy that can develop a QB.

Which QB did Mike Shanahan develop, like ever?

Sure-Oz
12-31-2008, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't mind Shanahan at all...he is a pretty damn good coach

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I'd take the guy because I think of we're gonna go for a QB first I couldn't think of a better coach to have working with him.

Holmgren

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I think the biggest reason he isn't really my top choice (that was my vote up there), grossness notwithstanding, is that he's been terrible at picking defensive coordinators.

Given the incestuous nature of the AFC West, though, it would make total sense.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Holmgren

Never happening. He'd do the GM thing, but he's not coaching next year. Ask Kathy, she'll tell you.

Mecca
12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Holmgren

He's taking a year off, so we shouldn't even be counting him.

kcxiv
12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
yeah, Shanahan hasnt developed anyone. Cutler isnt quit there yet. I wouldnt mind Shanahan thats for sure. As long as it isnt Brian Billick i think i will be ok.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:06 AM
...he's been terrible at picking defensive coordinators.

Truth.

He's a man who aspired beyond his capabilities and refused to back down from his self-assessment.

ChiefsCountry

No I was answering about who would you want to groom a QB.

Mecca
Mike Shanahan got Brian Griese in the pro bowl and fielded a winning team with Jake Plummer...

Brock
12-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Mike Shanahan got Brian Griese in the pro bowl and fielded a winning team with Jake Plummer...

That's quite a resume. I guess.

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2008, 12:07 AM

Brian Billick won a goddamn championship with TRENT FUCKING DILFER, but I don't see you or anyone else begging for us to hire him.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM

Thank you.

Mecca
12-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Brian Billick won a goddamn championship with TRENT FUCKING DILFER, but I don't see you or anyone else begging for us to hire him.

Brian Billick rode Marvin Lewis defense to a title, can't say I blame him that was smart but he was thought of as an offensive guru when it was proven anyone would have been with that Minnesota team.

When they were getting huge years out of Cunningham and George those skill set guys made every single person around them look great.

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Brian Billick rode Marvin Lewis defense to a title, can't say I blame him that was smart but he was thought of as an offensive guru when it was proven anyone would have been with that Minnesota team.

When they were getting huge years out of Cunningham and George those skill set guys made every single person around them look great.

And Shanahan rode Terrell Davis to a few titles.

BFD.

Without Elway, he's done shit.

Period.

Personally, I'm thinking someone hijacked your account - you're the last person I'd expect to be asking for a fucking retread to be hired.

Frazod
12-31-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't guess I need to tell anybody what choice I picked. :#

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM

That's quite a resume. I guess.

Brian Billick won a goddamn championship with TRENT ****ING DILFER, but I don't see you or anyone else begging for us to hire him.

What's up guys? You don't see why an old quarterback coach might have led to Brian ******* Griese and Jake "I think I'll go home now" Plummer having success with the Broncos?

Yeah. He could never help guys like Croyle and Thigpen.

Mecca's got it right.

Mecca
Hey say what you want but I'd take Mike Shanahan over alot of people....who says hiring a first time HC is the right way to go?

Chiefs Pantalones
Winning bowls is bad!

And 2 wins a year against the Broncos. Shanahan alone would put us on primetime again

Mecca
12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
What's up guys? You don't see why an old quarterback coach might have led to Brian ******* Griese and Jake "I think I'll go home now" Plummer having success with the Broncos?

Mecca's got it right.

I'm all for new people but anyone who thinks Josh McDaniels or Rex Ryan would be better HC's than Mike Shanahan is smoking crack, especially for a team that may draft a top 5 QB.

Mecca
12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
And 2 wins a year against the Broncos. Shanahan alone would put us on primetime again

Shanahan would then bring the grudge against not just the Raiders but the Broncos aswell.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Without Elway, he's done shit.

And without Shanny, Elway did shit.

DeezNutz
12-31-2008, 12:16 AM

Mecca's got it right.

Exactly the first attribute we should look for in a new coach. Does he have the ability to improve A.) a player who won't be in the league any longer, and B.) a backup (maybe) QB.

If you want a 9-7 team, the Rat would be a great selection.

OnTheWarpath15

Mecca's got it right.

At what cost?

Great, he makes QB's look good.

Unfortunately, he makes TEAMS look bad. He's done NOTHING since Elway and TD carried the team to a few Lombardi's.

You think the guy is going to go from having complete control, to just being a HC - answering to a true GM?

Christ, he may have as bad a draft record as Carl fucking Peterson.

kcfanXIII

Mecca's got it right.

ummm, what do i say here, oh ya: this

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2008, 12:17 AM

Two teams he would absolutely despise every time he lined up against them. Our 2 arch rivals. He would come here with a vengeance, and I have no doubt he's already talked to Clark.

Mecca

This, we want someone new shit has gone to far, I'm sorry I still think Shanahan is an outstanding coach, especially for a team that needs a franchise QB.

triple
He is an average/above average head coach (or, he was with Dan Reeves' team) but is very bad with personnel.

We would need a very strong GM figure to make such a marriage work.

It's not as bad as keeping Herm or hiring some Marty clone, but he's way down the list of my choices.

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm all for new people but anyone who thinks Josh McDaniels or Rex Ryan would be better HC's than Mike Shanahan is smoking crack, especially for a team that may draft a top 5 QB.

Sure.

I remember all the people laughing when Baltimore chose Harbaugh and Atlanta chose Smith - both over more experienced candidates.

Really sucked for them, didn't it?

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Exactly the first attribute we should look for in a new coach. Does he have the ability to improve A.) a player who won't be in the league any longer, and B.) a backup (maybe) QB.

If you want a 9-7 team. The Rat would be a great selection.

This.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:20 AM

If you want a 9-7 team. The Rat would be a great selection.

Try to follow the whole thread. Shanny could help those guys develop. That's the point.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Shanny with Denver did the same thing that Peterson did. Stayed too long. I think 5 to 7 years is all a coach shoudl have in the NFL. There are expectations to the rule but for the most part its the truth. He won the Super Bowls so Bowlen did what Lamar Hunt did kept him around. If he left before the Jake Plummer days, we would look at him different IMO.

Nzoner
12-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Shanahan would then bring the grudge against not just the Raiders but the Broncos aswell.

That's definitely a plus,I'd love to see the team get back to the days when Raider Week meant it was time to do more than just try and win a game.

ClevelandBronco
At what cost?

Great, he makes QB's look good.

Unfortunately, he makes TEAMS look bad. He's done NOTHING since Elway and TD carried the team to a few Lombardi's.

You think the guy is going to go from having complete control, to just being a HC - answering to a true GM?

Christ, he may have as bad a draft record as Carl ****ing Peterson.

My bad. I thought your team looked worse. I have to clean off my glasses or something.

ChiefsCountry
Also his boy his getting alot of looks. They have been talking about him down here in Houston the past few days.

Molitoth
12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
I'd take him. I have a feeling the Chiefs are going to make a worse decision...

Mecca
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Try to follow the whole thread. Shanny could help those guys develop. That's the point.

This is a losing battle, the idea of newness has taken over, I'm all for moving on but it's getting a little ridiculous.

We don't have to hire a bunch of people that have 0 experience in the role before.

DeezNutz
12-31-2008, 12:25 AM
If this organization is really going to get off its ass and take the risk of drafting a talented QB very early in the draft, I say we need to go all in and try to home run with the coaching hire.

This all might go to shit in 3 years. If so, blow it up and do it again. Big risk and big reward. We've been doing everything else for the past 20 years with nothing to show for it, so I might take back the "big risk" part. Seems like the bigger risk would be if Clark's asshole starts to get too tight.

chiefzilla1501
Sure.

I remember all the people laughing when Baltimore chose Harbaugh and Atlanta chose Smith - both over more experienced candidates.

Really sucked for them, didn't it?

I also remember 3 seasons ago when Sean Payton and Eric "Man Genius" looked like great hires.

I don't know how I feel about Shanahan. But there's a huge argument for experience over youth. Experienced guys like Shanahan and Cowher have built and rebuilt multiple teams over 20 years. Very good chance Smith and Harbaugh both field horrible teams in 3-4 years when the team takes on their identity.

OnTheWarpath15
This is a losing battle, the idea of newness has taken over, I'm all for moving on but it's getting a little ridiculous.

We don't have to hire a bunch of people that have 0 experience in the role before.

We also don't have to take a retread that hasn't accomplished anything in over 10 years just because he's a good coach for a QB.

DeezNutz
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM

Thanks.

I've read the WHOLE thread.

If you want to point to examples of the Rat's potential to help this franchise, at least give examples of players who will be on the roster in 3 years.

I thought we'd past the point of ever again alluding to Croyle's development. As what? A hunter? Fisherman? You can't mean as a football player.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:27 AM
I also remember 3 seasons ago when Sean Payton and Eric "Man Genius" looked like great hires.

I don't know how I feel about Shanahan. But there's a huge argument for experience over youth. Experienced guys like Shanahan and Cowher have built and rebuilt multiple teams over 20 years. Very good chance Smith and Harbaugh both field horrible teams in 3-4 years when the team takes on their identity.

As long as Newsome is running the Ravens they will be fine with players. When they have sucked is bc their QB play has blown ass. Atlanta could be a different story but Ryan will make him look pretty good.

StcChief
12-31-2008, 12:28 AM
ok, but won't be there by the time a GM is here.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks.

I've read the WHOLE thread.

If you want to point to examples of the Rat's potential to help this franchise, at least give examples of players who will be on the roster in 3 years.

Seriously? That's your question? ROFL

DeezNutz
12-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Seriously? That's your question? ROFL

Was there a question there?

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:30 AM
...I thought we'd past the point of ever again alluding to Croyle's development. As what? A hunter? Fisherman? You can't mean as a football player.

As a number 2.

Until he becomes a number 3.

splatbass
12-31-2008, 12:31 AM
cons: our defense would fall apart.

Too late.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-31-2008, 12:32 AM
Shanahan would want to come here, I just know it.

DeezNutz
12-31-2008, 12:33 AM
As a number 2.

Until he becomes a number 3.

Hello!!! He can't stay healthy. Even for an 1/8 of a quarter. He trips over linemen, in practice, and is out for weeks.

The Rat's magical powers will have no effect on a broken man. Croyle is physically smaller and weaker than I am. Literally. And I have no business being near an NFL field.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Stafford has been compared to Elway and Cutler. :evil:

Rigodan
12-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Christ, he may have as bad a draft record as Carl ****ing Peterson.

Shanahan isn't that horrific with personel. He's drafted Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, Ryan Clady and it looks like Eddie Royal is gonna be a good one too. Plus he can find productive running backs for his system effortlessly. Yea he's absolutely terrible with the defense but he's found some good offensive players lately. I definately don't think he should be a GM but his team has 8 wins this year, 6 more than the team that Carl and Herm have put together.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Shanahan would want to come here, I just know it.

I doubt it.

The only reason would be to stick it to the Broncos.

Maybe that's enough for him. I don't know.

DT58HOF
12-31-2008, 12:36 AM

so has USC and the Lakers, should they just fire Carroll and Jackson? lol
i believe i seen the lakers sniffing the celtics balls last year but im not sure they were licking them.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Hello!!! He can't stay healthy. Even for an 1/8 of a quarter. He trips over linemen, in practice, and is out for weeks.

The Rat's magical powers will have no effect on a broken man. Croyle is physically smaller and weaker than I am. Literally. And I have no business being near an NFL field.

Good thing no one drafted you.

DeezNutz
12-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Good thing no one drafted you.

But if the Rat had seen me, I bet...

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Shanahan isn't that horrific with personel. He's drafted Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, Ryan Clady and it looks like Eddie Royal is gonna be a good one too. Plus he can find productive running backs for his system effortlessly. Yea he's absolutely terrible with the defense but he's found some good offensive players lately. I definately don't think he should be a GM...

That's his problem. The man knows one side of the game.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
I doubt it.

The only reason would be to stick it to the Broncos.

Maybe that's enough for him. I don't know.

We know he didn't leave Oakland on good terms. We have no idea how that conversation with Pat ended today. He may be only interested in KC or San Diego at this point. He's definitely that kind of guy. That's how he ended up in Denver in the first place.

triple
12-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Shanahan isn't that horrific with personel. He's drafted Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, Ryan Clady and it looks like Eddie Royal is gonna be a good one too.

how about all the poor draft picks, free agent signings that didn't work out, free agents who were vastly overpaid, blah blah blah

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:43 AM
We know he didn't leave Oakland on good terms. We have no idea how that conversation with Pat ended today. He may be only interested in KC or San Diego at this point. He's definitely that kind of guy. That's how he ended up in Denver in the first place.

According to Scheffler it was a five minute meeting that wasn't scheduled.

Sounds like Mike might be pissed.

I'd be pissed.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM
how about all the poor draft picks, free agent signings that didn't work out, free agents who were vastly overpaid, blah blah blah

Great drafts in the last couple of years. Horrible FA signings.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
According to Scheffler it was a five minute meeting that wasn't scheduled.

Sounds like Mike might be pissed.

I'd be pissed.

I've heard a couple of guys already speculate that Mike could end up in KC. Terrell Davis was one of them.

jspchief
12-31-2008, 12:47 AM
I'd rather shit broken glass for a week.

dirk digler
12-31-2008, 12:47 AM

As should Shanhan. I stated several times the last couple of weeks he deserved to be fired or he should quit because he got too complacent and any objective Bronco fan would tell he lost his innovative streak years ago.

The mere fact that he wouldn't fire his shitty ass DC makes me question how smart he is.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
I've heard a couple of guys already speculate that Mike could end up in KC. Terrell Davis was one of them.

It could happen. He tried to get back at Mr. Davis during his whole run in Denver.

Why not think that he'd try to get back at Mr. Bowlen?

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:50 AM

Until you started talking shit for a week before the game, right?

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:51 AM
It could happen. He tried to get back at Mr. Davis during his whole run in Denver.

Why not think that he'd try to get back at Mr. Bowlen?

Considering the Chiefs are the major rival for both it makes perfect sense.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 12:53 AM
"The best revenge is in living well."

jspchief
Until you started talking shit for a week before the game, right?huh?

dirk digler
His son Kyle is saying he is leaning towards taking some time off. That would be the smart move. Get paid millions of dollars and take a long ass vacation and recharge his batteries and his mind.

Although Shanahan figures to become a top candidate to fill an existing head coach opening, Kyle said that as of now, his dad was leaning toward taking some time off.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
So who are the Donks looking at for HC?

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:02 AM
So who are the Donks looking at for HC?

Herm.

CHIEF4EVER
12-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Herm.

LMAO

God I hope so.............

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:06 AM
huh?

That would be the game between your new head coach, Mike Shannahan, and the Broncos' new coach, Name Namename.

I'm figuring you'd love your new coach.

Maybe I'm incorrect.

You'd kind of like him then, wouldn't you?

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 01:06 AM
The irony is that Herm would probably make the playoffs with Jay Cutler.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2008, 01:07 AM
He's not a good evaluator of talent through the draft, neither is Mike Holmgren, but he was able to have a great deal of success after stepping down from that role.

With that being said, the guy is a great offensive mind and is very QB friendly. As long as the GM runs the show, you can still get a great defensive coordinator to shore up any of his deficiencies. It's not like Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, or any other coordinator is Tom Landry, a genius on both sides of the ball.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
LMAO

God I hope so.............

(That wasn't serious)

But damn, wouldn't that guy kick ass? He's so defensive minded!

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Idiot.

Simply Red
12-31-2008, 01:10 AM
He's not a good evaluator of talent through the draft, neither is Mike Holmgren, but he was able to have a great deal of success after stepping down from that role.

With that being said, the guy is a great offensive mind and is very QB friendly. As long as the GM runs the show, you can still get a great defensive coordinator to shore up any of his deficiencies. It's not like Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, or any other coordinator is Tom Landry, a genius on both sides of the ball.

I saw Tom Landry at Crayons late on Friday.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:15 AM
I saw Tom Landry at Crayons late on Friday.

Stan Laurel was there. He did a drawing of Oliver Hardy on my napkin. I thanked him and wished I could do more.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Idiot.

It's true.

You give Herm a competent GM and a good quarterback and he'll take you to the playoffs.

The Chiefs' whole problem is they gave him too much power. He's not a great judge of talent. That's how we ended up 31st on defense.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:27 AM
It's true.

You give Herm a competent GM and a good quarterback and he'll take you to the playoffs.

The Chiefs' whole problem is they gave him too much power. He's not a great judge of talent. That's how we ended up 31st on defense.

Poofter idiot.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 01:30 AM
<b>Playoff appearances since 2001 - </b>

Herm Edwards: 4

Mike Shanahan: 3

<b>Playoff wins since 2001:</b>

Herm Edwards: 2

Mike Shanahan: 1

<b>Pink slips since 2001:</b>

Herm Edwards: 0

cdcox
12-31-2008, 01:36 AM
I think the pro-Shanny camp, lead by mecca and Cleveland-Browncow, and the anti-Shanny camp, lead by OTW58, have made equally compelling arguments. I'm torn.

My observations:

1. I hate that SOB
2. I'd probably get over it with a shower and a playoff win
3. No way would I hire him (or any other head coach) without a strong GM
4. I don't want him to select the defensive coordinator
5. I really think he needs a year off to recharge his batteries and get his shit together
6. I'd take him over Cowher if you are talking about experienced HCs.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Okay, I'll be like all the other dickbag's before me who have said "I haven't read what other posters have said so blah blah blah blah blah".

That being said, Shanahan would be a monumentally bad hire.

He's 1-4 in the playoffs since Elway left 10 years ago.

No thanks.

chop
12-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Why would the guy rush out to get a job, he's still cashing in on the big contract for doing nothing. Take some time off and get back into the game later. He'll get another job if/when he wants.

tk13
12-31-2008, 01:44 AM
<b>Playoff appearances since 2001 - </b>

Herm Edwards: 4

Mike Shanahan: 3

<b>Playoff wins since 2001:</b>

Herm Edwards: 2

<b>Pink slips since 2001:</b>

Herm Edwards: 0

That's the funny thing, if you really play that game, there really aren't a ton of guys that'd beat Herm Edwards at stuff like that. Unless you start getting into Super Bowl wins and stuff like that, obviously, and about half of those are Belichick. And most of the other half are guys like Dungy, Cowher and Coughlin who went through 10-15 years of playoff failures before finally winning it all.

cdcox
12-31-2008, 01:45 AM

Dude. The better Herm thinks the QB is, the shorter the leash he puts him on. From day 1 in KC, Herm was talking about Green taking fewer risks with the ball. He opened the offense to Tyler Thigpen (Tyler Thigpen!) because he was flat out desperate.

If Herm owned a red wood tree, he'd put it under an umbrella so it wouldn't get sunburned. If he owned a weed, he'd fertilize and water that thing until it was 10 feet tall just so he could brag about growing the tallest weed in town. This is Herm.

teedubya
12-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Stan Laurel was there. He did a drawing of Oliver Hardy on my napkin. I thanked him and wished I could do more.

I swear I saw Kurdt Cobain in the kitchen.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:47 AM
Okay, I'll be like all the other dickbag's before me who have said "I haven't read what other posters have said so blah blah blah blah blah".

That being said, Shanahan would be a monumentally bad hire.

He's 1-4 in the playoffs since Elway left 10 years ago.

No thanks.

How many rings did Elway get without Shanny?

AFC Championship rings don't count.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Why would the guy rush out to get a job, he's still cashing in on the big contract for doing nothing. Take some time off and get back into the game later. He'll get another job if/when he wants.

$20M to kick back for three years. Hard to turn that down.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
How many rings did Elway get without Shanny?

AFC Championship rings don't count.

Well, I think it's safe to say it was a Championship combo.

Reeves, who I think is one of the finest head coaches of all time, couldn't make it happen after three tries.

Shanahan was fortunate enough to have Davis and Elway. That's magic. And, he knew how to make it happen.

The trouble for him in Denver was that he was never able to recreate that magic, as hard as he tried.

It's probably best for someone else to have a shot.

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Well, I think it's safe to say it was a Championship combo...

Yes. They made a great team.

Dayze
12-31-2008, 02:30 AM
DIE

this

Reaper16
12-31-2008, 02:46 AM
The Chiefs have already had Shanahan as the head coach, only with the Chiefs he was called Dick Vermiel.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Dude. The better Herm thinks the QB is, the shorter the leash he puts him on. From day 1 in KC, Herm was talking about Green taking fewer risks with the ball. He opened the offense to Tyler Thigpen (Tyler Thigpen!) because he was flat out desperate.

If Herm owned a red wood tree, he'd put it under an umbrella so it wouldn't get sunburned. If he owned a weed, he'd fertilize and water that thing until it was 10 feet tall just so he could brag about growing the tallest weed in town. This is Herm.

Note that I said he wouldn't win a Super Bowl with Cutler.

BigRock
12-31-2008, 03:47 AM
Does the question assume that Shanny has the kind of control here that he did in Denver? Or would it it be a situation where a new GM makes it clear that Shanny's job is just to coach and the GM would be making the decisions?

Obviously the former would be a horrible idea. But I wouldn't completely dismiss the latter idea until I knew who the GM was, who he wanted the defensive coordinator to be, etc. etc. etc.

Rausch
12-31-2008, 03:50 AM
I no way do I want that cheating fuckstick in KC...

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 03:53 AM
I no way do I want that cheating fuckstick in KC...

Dude, Mike Shanahan would be the best thing that ever happened to LJ...

chasedude
12-31-2008, 03:56 AM
That's a big HELL NO!!!

Rausch
12-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Dude, Mike Shanahan would be the best thing that ever happened to LJ...

Are you fucking kidding me?

Shanarat treats HB's like redheaded stepkids and trades them for bus money.

LJ would be the first guy out of town if the Rat infested KC...

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?

Larry is untradeable due to his contract.

The Rat would make his twilight years awesome.

CHIEF4EVER
12-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Are you ****ing kidding me?

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Rausch
12-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Larry is untradeable due to his contract.

Bull$#it.

We're so sickeningly under the cap we could take his bonus hit wouthout a 2nd thought.

And why is the Rat a HB expert all of a sudden?...

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 04:05 AM
Bull$#it.

We're so sickeningly under the cap we could take his bonus hit wouthout a 2nd thought.

And why is the Rat a HB expert all of a sudden?...

The Rat is an expert at producing a kickass ground game.

LJ + The Rat = 2,000 fucking yards and me jizzing everywhere.

BRING THE RAT!

Rausch
12-31-2008, 04:06 AM
The Rat is an expert at producing a kickass ground game.

LJ + The Rat = 2,000 ****ing yards and me jizzing everywhere.

BRING THE RAT!

You're just a contrarian for the fucking sake of being one...

CHIEF4EVER
12-31-2008, 04:15 AM
I could see the Rat as our HC but only if he were paired up with a competent DC (emphasis on COMPETENT) and had no control over the draft.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2008, 04:15 AM
No, man, no.

You wanna know what the worst thing about watching Chiefs games is the last two years?

LJ running up the butt and gaining two yards...

We had a MEDIOCRE line in 2006 and he went off for 1800.

I want that back more than anything. Shanny can give it to me.

Shanny isn't evil but our ground game can be again...

BigMeatballDave
12-31-2008, 05:53 AM
I guess I'd be OK with it. HC ONLY though.

Craqhead
12-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Die... Seriously the Donks have taken over has our main rival in the West. I hate everything about them. Including thier ex coach.

Brock
12-31-2008, 10:41 AM

What a joke.

kc rush
12-31-2008, 10:44 AM
No. What has he done without Elway? We have too many holes to fill, especially on D and I'm not sure he knows how to do that.

jjchieffan
12-31-2008, 10:45 AM

Yeah, he did such a great job with Griese and Plummer.

Sure-Oz
12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
810 was saying they would be suprised if we didn't have a coach/gm within a week....and think it is ridiculous herm hasn't been let go yet

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Herman Edwards.....coached a 2 win team that beat the shit out of a Ratface-led Donkey team.

Yes...that herman edwards outcoached him.

Last week, I said I wouldn't root for Denver Vs the Talisban....and now you want me to accept their field general?

BigMeatballDave
12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
810 was saying they would be suprised if we didn't have a coach/gm within a week....and think it is ridiculous herm hasn't been let go yetWell, they are gonna be surprised. I'll be surprised if we have a new GM in place by the end of the month.

kc rush
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
I guess the plus side is that he would take it out on Denver & Oakland now like he had on Oakland all those years.

Sure-Oz
12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, they are gonna be surprised. I'll be surprised if we have a new GM in place by the end of the month.

You'd think they'd get on it and get shit done before the senior bowl, it all seems like a waste of time right now

Rooster
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
The Cheatin Chiefs?? No thanks. :Lin:

blueballs
12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I think he would be offended by the X-Factor in the stands

R8RFAN
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
I would personally like to see Shanahan in KC

BigMeatballDave
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
You'd think they'd get on it and get shit done before the senior bowl, it all seems like a waste of time right nowPretty much. I am so sick of this organization dragging its collective feet. :grr:

HemiEd
12-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Yeah, but wouldn't he have to give up the 20+ million the Bronco's owe him?

Since he is building/built that decatent home, I doubt he wants to surrender the money and work for what he is actually worth.

The Chiefs defense could not get any worse. The guy is sharp enough to figure out how to pull victories out of his ass.

chiefsngop
12-31-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't know if Shanny's my first choice but he'd definetly bring 3 important things to the club right off the bat :

1. He can develop our drafted QB

2. It becomes even less of a deal when LJ skips town

3. The offense would start firing on all cylinders again

But as we've been saying for almost a decade, "all we would need is a defense."

A combo hiring of Shanny and a kick ass D coordinator and I'm sold.

FloridaMan88
12-31-2008, 12:15 PM
I want either Shanahan, or the Pats offensive coordinator as my head coach.

I echo this sentiment

Mr. Laz
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
as long as someone else controls personal ... i'm ok with shannarat as a HC

BigChiefFan
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Overrated. No thanks.

chop
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM

Dude, how old are you?

chop
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Shanahan's playoff record in the last 10 years is 1-4. Nothing in the last three.

morphius
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
physically ill.

Chiefnj2
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
OC/QB coach maybe. Head Coach, no thanks.

BWillie
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
F*CKING RIGHT MAN

RINGLEADER
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
I wish death upon this poll at the hands of a thousand Kurgen...

1ChiefsDan
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
I think he would make a good HC - but he is a crappy GM.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
I think whoever the new GM is would be crazy not to at least interview a HC who has won 2 SB (unless it is Jimmy Johnson).

mlyonsd
12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Maybe if Shanny comes here he'll trade so we get Cutler. Of course then I'd have to hang myself.

raypec85
12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
given that shanahan has tried to get Gunther twice in the past it would be interesting to observe the implosion around here should he become head coach and keep Gunther as his DC

JuicesFlowing
12-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Where's the "I'd be completely amused because of a Chiefs Planet meltdown." option?

VonneMarie
12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I voted for the die you mutherfucker option.

Reerun_KC
12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I voted for the die you muther****er option.

This...

DT58HOF
12-31-2008, 05:37 PM

CHEERS DUDE!
Here's to your Bloody ASS

splatbass
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
given that shanahan has tried to get Gunther twice in the past it would be interesting to observe the implosion around here should he become head coach and keep Gunther as his DC

Gun would probably be better if he was allowed to run his own D instead of being forced to run the Cover 2.

TEX
12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
**** Shannahan...

stevieray
12-31-2008, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't warch or go to another game as long as he was here...

Arrowman told me the other day tha if he came here, he would smother his hand in xaseline and shake the rat's hand and call him a cheater...

Simply Red
01-01-2009, 02:08 AM
I have to say, I'd be very excited if he HC'd the Chiefs because; almost all of them need a different haircut.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-01-2009, 02:50 AM
Stafford has been compared to Elway and Cutler. :evil:

Elway and Farve. Stafford doesn't mope around the sideline with a "smoking catnip" look on his face.

MadMax
01-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Gun would probably be better if he was allowed to run his own D instead of being forced to run the Cover 2.

The cower 2 is not good for this team....And it might as well be called cower.

Rausch
01-01-2009, 03:55 AM
I have to say, I'd be very excited if he HC'd the Chiefs because; almost all of them need a different haircut.

At the shoulders...

The Bad Guy
01-01-2009, 04:08 AM

The only way Gunther's defenses get better is if we have 2 stud DEs and 2 stud corners.

The guy is a fraud.

BossChief
01-01-2009, 04:28 AM
The only way Gunther's defenses get better is if we have 2 stud DEs and 2 stud corners.

The guy is a fraud.

What an ignorant thing to say

Look at the stats and you will find that Guns defense improved every year he has been here, till CP took Jared, Jimmy, Benny, and Keyaron from him. Could have used every one of those guys at times this year...oh well hello pick #3 and goodbye Gun I guess...

Mecca
01-01-2009, 04:29 AM
And someone defends Gunther, unbelievable.

CHIEF4EVER
01-01-2009, 05:08 AM

Look at the stats and you will find that Guns defense improved every year he has been here, till CP took Jared, Jimmy, Benny, and Keyaron from him. Could have used every one of those guys at times this year...oh well hello pick #3 and goodbye Gun I guess...

Are you kidding? The only time Gunther had a good Defense was when DT, Neal Smith, Dan Saleamua et al covered up his incompetence. He is a fraud of the highest magnitude. Only a team full of Pro Bowlers would give him the illusion of competence.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Said the leader of the Whine and Cheese forum...:rolleyes:

Brock
01-01-2009, 02:12 PM

You might have had a point if you'd just left it at "Jared". None of those other guys you mention matter to anyone.

Bowser
01-01-2009, 02:15 PM
After watching Gun as a coordinator these last few years, I am willing to say the game has passed him by. He's had some flashes here and there, but for the most part, it's been pretty bad.

keg in kc
01-01-2009, 02:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me. I don't think he's great shakes as a coach, but he'd sure as fuck be motivated. And I'll try and respect whatever choice the new GM makes, in any case.

stevieray
01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
After watching Gun as a coordinator these last few years, I am willing to say the game has passed him by. He's had some flashes here and there, but for the most part, it's been pretty bad.

I tend to agree, but have to say that anyone that watched Clayton's "if you want blood" vid and didn't get fired up, is being less than honest.

offensive production is exciting, but nothing gets Arrowhead rocking like defensive play, and Gun provided many of those moments.