PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The case for Polian

triple
12-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Everyone seem sto be on Pioli bandwagon, and don't get me wrong, I would be happy with the hire.

But I think we should be happier if we got Polian. Why?

Numerous pieces from New England have gone on to be underwhelming in other areas of pro and college football. The connection it seems is that they worked in close proximity to Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

Polian has been the Colts VP of pro personnel since 1998, working under his father, general manager Bill Polian.

Bill Polian, by the way, was Buffalo's GM from 1986-1993, and built a fairly successful team there. He went to Carolina and took the team to the NFC championship in year two.

Then he lands in Indy, with a 3-13 Jim Mora/Jim Harbaugh team, and remodels it. He passes on Leaf to take Manning. They win 13 games in his second year.

Chris comes from good stock.

And as far as the draft, during the time Chris has been director of pro personnel, here are their first round picks:

Peyton Manning
Edgerrin James
Rob Morris (not a pro bowler, but a 5 year starter)
Reggie Wayne
Dwight Freeney
Dallas Clark
Marlin Jackson
Joseph Addai
Anthony Gonzalez

If he was just a successful GM's son with a year or two as a personnel guy, I'd be apprehensive. But this guy has been part of success for a decade now.

With New England, you could make the argument that much of Pioli's success is due to Belichick. Nobody thinks that Tony Dungy is one of the greatest ever, although he's not a cheater, and he was a good hire, so credit them.

The Polians seem to have a much more solid claim to this long-term success.

What do you think?

I just thought I would put it out there. I'll sit around and wait for negative reputation and for ChiefsFan88 to have an aneurysm now!

blueballs
12-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Tuna sandwich>Carl

ModSocks
12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Everyone seem sto be on Pioli bandwagon, and don't get me wrong, I would be happy with the hire.

But I think we should be happier if we got Polian. Why?

Numerous pieces from New England have gone on to be underwhelming in other areas of pro and college football. The connection it seems is that they worked in close proximity to Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

Polian has been the Colts VP of pro personnel since 1998, working under his father, general manager Bill Polian.

Bill Polian, by the way, was Buffalo's GM from 1986-1993, and built a fairly successful team there. He went to Carolina and took the team to the NFC championship in year two.

Then he lands in Indy, with a 3-13 Jim Mora/Jim Harbaugh team, and remodels it. He passes on Leaf to take Manning. They win 13 games in his second year.

Chris comes from good stock.

And as far as the draft, during the time Chris has been director of pro personnel, here are their first round picks:

Peyton Manning
Edgerrin James
Reggie Wayne
Dwight Freeney
Dallas Clark
Marlin Jackson
Joseph Addai
Anthony Gonzalez

If he was just a successful GM's son with a year or two as a personnel guy, I'd be apprehensive. But this guy has been part of success for a decade now.

With New England, you could make the argument that much of Pioli's success is due to Belichick. Nobody thinks that Tony Dungy is one of the greatest ever, although he's not a cheater, and he was a good hire, so credit them.

The Polians seem to have a much more solid claim to this long-term success.

What do you think?

I just thought I would put it out there. I'll sit around and wait for negative reputation and for ChiefsFan88 to have an aneurysm now!

I would take Polian over Pioli. But, would you want Polian if he wanted to keep Herm? Herm and Dungy have the same philosophies, so Polian may try to play copy cat.

and how many years has the colts D been the achilles heel of that team? That bothers me a bit.

triple
12-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, we're going to get someone as our new GM and that person will either keep or not keep Edwards. I don't have any input into the decision. I do know that this guy should be the top GM candidate out there. Well, I think that anyway

do i want Herm back? hell no. I'd rather sit on a hay spike.

how do you figure Dungy is similar to herm anyway? does the colts offense resemble a Herm offense?

the Talking Can
12-31-2008, 05:35 PM

Peyton Manning
Edgerrin James
Reggie Wayne
Dwight Freeney
Dallas Clark
Marlin Jackson
Joseph Addai
Anthony Gonzalez

that's pretty sweet...

the real issue is whether he has any intention of ever leaving...

ModSocks
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, we're going to get someone as our new GM and that person will either keep or not keep Edwards. I don't have any input into the decision. I do know that this guy should be the top GM candidate out there. Well, I think that anyway

do i want Herm back? hell no. I'd rather sit on a hay spike.

how do you figure Dungy is similar to herm anyway? does the colts offense resemble a Herm offense?

Well, they're very close friends, and they both insist on the cover 2. They both worked together in Tampa, and if Dungy didn't have manning and Moore, god knows what his "O" would look like. And i believe they're both suppose to be "players coaches"

Mecca
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
If Polian hands around he'll end up taking over for his dad in Indy...and no I don't think he'd keep Herm, just because Herm is Dungys friend doesn't make them the same coach.

ModSocks
12-31-2008, 05:40 PM
If Polian hands around he'll end up taking over for his dad in Indy...and no I don't think he'd keep Herm, just because Herm is Dungys friend doesn't make them the same coach.

They're both blackish! that's enough right there!

triple
12-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Well, they're very close friends, and they both insist on the cover 2. They both worked together in Tampa, and if Dungy didn't have manning and Moore, god knows what his "O" would look like. And i believe they're both suppose to be "players coaches"

The cover 2 is not a fundamentally flawed system. Other teams employ it successfully. The Chiefs cannot do that because of bad personnel, coordinators, and position coaches. The incoming GM will have to deal with that problem no matter what the situation is.

So are we just down to, Herm and Tony are friends and players like them?

I don't think Polian would retain Herm. Herm's record is indefensible by any logical means.

ModSocks
12-31-2008, 05:55 PM
The cover 2 is not a fundamentally flawed system. Other teams employ it successfully. The Chiefs cannot do that because of bad personnel, coordinators, and position coaches. The incoming GM will have to deal with that problem no matter what the situation is.

So are we just down to, Herm and Tony are friends and players like them?

I don't think Polian would retain Herm. Herm's record is indefensible by any logical means.

I never said that we had to ditch the Cover 2, just noting that they have that in common and Polian may want to retain Edwards, partially because it's a scheme that he is familiar with.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't complain if we got Polian. I'd rather have Polian than pioli

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Polian would be great, and I would hope he's not retarded enough to keep Herm.

FloridaMan88
12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Polian would be great... Bill Polian that is.

Mecca
12-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Actually I think the cover 2 is an outdated system unless you have elite players.

Tribal Warfare
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Actually I think the cover 2 is an outdated system unless you have elite players.

The new HC has to run some variation of the 4-3 due to how much money is wrapped into Dorsey.

Hoover
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Piloi is with new England

blueballs
12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
How many new people does a GM bring in with him
could half the front office or better roll over
they plan on keeping Thum

Sully
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think Herm is personally a bad coach

What???

Buehler445
12-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I personally am on the Polian bandwagon. We're probably not getting either, but my favorite is Polian. By far.

That being said. If Chris Polian retains Herm, he is very likely a shit ass evaluator of coaching talent and I do not want him. It's as fair as that. If Herm stays, the new GM uses up any slack I would be willing to give him.

milkman
12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
What???

Translation:

"I ain't too bright"

triple
01-01-2009, 01:36 AM
i don't get it