PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Schottenheimer says he does not expect to work for Chiefs next season

Tribal Warfare
12-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Schottenheimer says he does not expect to work for Chiefs next season (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/959946.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

A remarriage between the Chiefs and Marty Schottenheimer is "highly unlikely," Schottenheimer said Wednesday.

Schottenheimer's name has been floated as a possible candidate to return to Kansas City, whether as general manager, coach or in a front-office consulting role similar to the position that Bill Parcells holds in Miami.

Schottenheimer didn't shoot down a return to the Chiefs during a lengthy conversation with The Star but said he did not expect to be working in Kansas City next season.

Schottenheimer said he spoke with Chiefs owner Clark Hunt recently, but Schottenheimer said the conversation was more about sharing his opinion on the team's direction than a discussion about returning to the city where he coached for a decade.

"It wasn’t a job interview of any kind," said Schottenheimer, who was 101-58-1 in 10 seasons with the Chiefs. "All he did was ask me my thoughts and my ideas; what I saw from my perspective relative to the Chiefs.

"I shared my feelings, and that was an opinion. It wasn’t about applying for a job or interviewing for a job. It was about: 'Marty, what do you think about the Chiefs?' I gave him my opinion."

Schottenheimer said he spoke with Hunt in New York when the Chiefs played the Jets in late October. Schottenheimer was visiting his son Brian, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, and Marty Schottenheimer said he spoke with Hunt on the sideline at the Meadowlands.

"I said, 'Clark, I’ve known you for a long, long time; if there’s anything I can do to help you, give me a call,' " Schottenheimer said Wednesday. "He was just doing research."

Schottenheimer said he and Hunt have talked within the past few weeks, but the former coach would not discuss details of those conversations. He also wouldn't discuss his involvement with other teams.

Schottenheimer, 65, has been mentioned as a potential candidate in Cleveland, although it is unclear whether the Browns might want Schottenheimer to return as a coach or executive. Cleveland fired its GM and coach this week.

Carl Peterson hired Schottenheimer in 1989, and the two orchestrated the best decade in Chiefs history: seven playoff appearances and an appearance in the 1993 AFC championship game. Schottenheimer left the Chiefs after the 1998 season and has since been coach at Washington and San Diego.

Schottenheimer said he maintains high interest in the Chiefs' rebuilding effort, saying Wednesday that he has been watching the developments closely since Peterson announced his resignation nearly three weeks ago.

"I’m very, very confident that the Kansas City Chiefs are going to work very diligently to recapture the kind of success that hey would look to," he said. "I believe they can and will do that. It’s going to take some

Reerun_KC
12-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Phew, thank god, that would of turned out disasterious...

Baby Lee
12-31-2008, 06:00 PM
I have the perfect scenario for schadenfruede, Polian lands elsewhere and HE picks Schottenheimer as his HC. ROFL ROFL ROFL.

Agent V
12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
And of course, we'll never know what was said in the meeting.

Reerun_KC
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I have the perfect scenario for schadenfruede, Polian lands elsewhere and HE picks Schottenheimer as his HC. ROFL ROFL ROFL.

Fine with me as long as Marty is not in KC....

whoman69
12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm curious as to what he said about Herm?

Bowser
12-31-2008, 06:13 PM
So it's settled, then? Marty is going to be our very own Parcells, minus the Super Bowl ring?

KCChiefsMan
12-31-2008, 06:15 PM
well darn

Fritz88
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
good

milkman
12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Carl Peterson hired Schottenheimer in 1989, and the two orchestrated the best decade in Chiefs history: seven playoff appearances and an appearance in the 1993 AFC championship game.

Maybe it's just me, but a decade that included three league Championships (AFL), two SB appearences, and a win in one of those, would seem like a better decade.

Dumbass.

Reerun_KC
12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
We havent been to the AFC championship in 16 years...

stevieray
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe it's just me, but a decade that included three league Championships (AFL), two SB appearences, and a win in one of those, would seem like a better decade.

Dumbass.

:clap:

TEX
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
This is the same Marty that said while on the set of NFL Live that he didn't see ahow anyone could ever work for Dan Snyder. When asked specifically if he would considser ever coaching the Redskins he said." That's not very likely" and laughed...