PDA

View Full Version : Football Don't look for Shanahan to return to coaching until 2010

Oz_Chief
01-03-2009, 02:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/03/peter.king.shanahan/?cnn=yes

Mike Shanahan sounds very much like a man who plans to coach again, but probably not in 2009.

Unless he finds "a perfect situation'' in 2009, Shanahan said in remarks to me reported this afternoon on NBC that he'll likely sit out a year, then return to the NFL in 2010.

"What I'm going to do is take a couple of weeks to sit back and relax a little, then consider what it is I'm going to do,'' said the 56-year-old Shanahan, the two-time Super Bowl winner fired by Denver owner Pat Bowlen on Tuesday. "Unless there's a perfect situation out there, I'd rather sit out the year and return next year.''

A check of the vacancies shows no good situations, never mind a perfect one. Detroit, the Jets, Cleveland and St. Louis all have significant flaws, from losing that just won't end to major cap problems to ownership looking hard to sell.

Kansas City might have an opening if neophyte owner Clark Hunt, in the market for a football architect, chooses a GM who will fire Herman Edwards, but the Chiefs are full of holes.

There could be one intriguing match for Shanahan in 2009. New England vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli interviewed for the Browns' general manager job Wednesday and will talk with Chiefs owner Clark Hunt in the coming days. Who knows if Pioli will get offered one of the jobs, and whether he'll take it. But Shanahan always ran his own ship, from bow to stern, in Denver, and Pioli could be the strong personnel presence Shanahan needs so he can concentrate on coaching and nothing else.

"I wouldn't go anywhere,'' Shanahan said, "unless it's the right scenario.''

As Shanahan said at his Wednesday news conference, he was surprised when Bowlen fired him. "But," he said, "sometimes I think it's a good thing to make a change like this. It re-energizes you. I don't feel sorry for me, at all. But I do feel for all the coaches who have kids in school, who have families to think about, who might have to sell houses in this housing market. That's really unfortunate. But it's part of the business."

King_Chief_Fan
01-03-2009, 02:37 PM
He is waiting for Herm to get fired so he can become the coach for the Chiefs.
isn't it fun to speculate?

RustShack
01-03-2009, 02:39 PM
SHANAHAN TO DALLAS?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2009, 11:46 a.m.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is get “angrier by the minute” in the wake of his team’s season-ending thumping at Philly on December 28.

And Mort suggests that Jones could ultimately go back on his vow not to fire coach Wade Phillips.

By hiring former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Mort says that Jones has been thinking about pursuing Shanahan, more than Jones ever thought about chasing Bill Cowher or Mike Holmgren.

One big factor weighing in Shanahan’s favor is that he won’t need a huge contract over the next three years, since he’s guaranteed to receive a total of $21 million from the Broncos.

Don’t underestimate the financial aspect of the situation. We’ve got a feeling that Jones is getting stretched pretty thin as he prepares to enter a $1.1 billion stadium in a bad economy that has featured the disappearance of much wealth, especially among those who are very wealthy. The last thing he wants to do is hire a guy like Cowher, who’ll want upwards of $10 million per year.

Mort says that some view Shanahan as an ideal fit for quarterback Tony Romo, who has shown flashes of brilliance but who tends to gag at inopportune moments.

It’s possible that, if Shanahan comes to Dallas, Phillips could stay as the defensive coordinator.

The urgency to chase Shanahan could increase, if current offensive coordinator Jason Garrett lands a head coaching job with another team.

Shanahan is also regarded as a candidate for vacancies in Cleveland, and with the Jets.

Extra Point
01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
He is waiting for Herm to get fired so he can become the coach for the Chiefs.
isn't it fun to speculate?

Chicken-Egg conundrum not warranted in KC.

blueballs
01-03-2009, 02:52 PM
You'd think Shanahan and Jones would butt heads
Parcels stayed a couple years though