PDA

View Full Version : Football Tomlinson is done

dtebbe
01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Constant injuries... me thinks he's done. All the announcers were raving "LT is back" during the final game of the season.. yea, back for 1 quarter before he's hurt again... I think Sproles took the torch last night.

It's amazing how short life is for a NFL back now days. Makes guys like Emmit Smith, Thurman Thomas, and even Marcus Allen look like supermen.

DT

MIAdragon
01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the update.

dorseybowe
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Tearing your groin has to be a bitch. Although this year he has shown signs that he may be slowing down, he still has a few more years.

DaFace
01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Tearing your groin has to be a bitch. Although this year he has shown signs that he may be slowing down, he still has a few more years.

Yeah, I don't ever see him returning to an elite level of play, but he's still serviceable when he's healthy. I'd imagine he'll play for 2-3 more years in some capacity.

JohnnyV13
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Tomlinson is 29 with a lot of wear and tear. I think he's done as a workhorse. Sproles is a terrific player and can be "the guy" for a playoff run. But, Sproles can't carry the load for a full season: he's just too small.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I don't ever see him returning to an elite level of play, but he's still serviceable when he's healthy. I'd imagine he'll play for 2-3 more years in some capacity.

He can still play, but he needs to start looking at reducing his workload.

He will be entering his 9th season.

For comparison, Emmit Smith had 4 more 1000 yard seasons after his 8th year. But his carries were limited.

MIAdragon
01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson-RB-Chargers Jan. 5 - 4:58 pm et

ESPN's John Clayton doesn't believe that LaDainian Tomlinson will dress for the Chargers' Divisional Round game at Pittsburgh.

Clayton confirms a report that Tomlinson will likely need surgery in the offseason, adding "it looks like this is going to be Darren Sproles' game." LT2's season may very well be over unless San Diego advances to the Super Bowl. Considering how fantastic Sproles is playing, it's not a huge loss.
Related: Darren Sproles

DMAC
01-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I like the Superchargers alot more without Tomli. Go Sproley!

Basileus777
01-05-2009, 05:04 PM
30 year old running backs who lose it don't get it back. He will be on the wrong side of thirty and has had several nagging injuries. Tomlinson can still be a solid productive player, but he will never regain anything close to his old form.

ChiefsOne
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM

I had a small tear in my groin from doing squats and it took about 3-4 months before I felt comfortable them again. I can't even image trying to run and cut with that. I bet he is out for the year.

Buck
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I predict another 1400 Yard season by LT next year.

He'll sit the rest of this year and prove everyone wrong next year...

/homer

SAUTO
01-05-2009, 05:27 PM

/homer

i could see that happening buck, in 02 when priest hurt his hip he was 29 IIRC, and came back from that and set records

Dylan
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Sproles will be lucky to have 40 yards on the ground against the Steelers defense. J/M/O

Steelers defense Rank #2 rush yards
Broncos defense Rank #27 rush yards
Colts defense Rank #24 rush yards

Hammock Parties
01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I think SD's offense is better with the RB being a change of pace anyway. Rivers is incredible.

kaplin42
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Tomlinson is an amazing back. I would have taken him over LJ and Priest any day. Not knocking Priest, but LT is just awesome. On top of that, he is a good character guy, a good locker room guy, an someone the team can rally behind.

He may be comming to the end of HoF career, but he definately still has a couple of years a situation back. Besides that, if you have a rested LT come out on the field, you know the D has to account for him.

Mecca
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
This is what happens when RB's get old, it's a miracle he lasted as long as he did with all of his touches.

Rivers carried their team this year and now they're gonna have to find a new RB.

Rausch
01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Sproles will be lucky to have 40 yards on the ground against the Steelers defense. J/M/O

Steelers defense Rank #2 rush yards
Broncos defense Rank #27 rush yards
Colts defense Rank #24 rush yards

He'll have one of those games where he's got 13 carries and 11 yards and then break one for 40 or 50.

They'll keep him under a 100 but I think he'll still get that one big jog...

Extra Point
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Bennett did a decent job of filling in a few downs, and Sproles sure did an excellent job with whatever they asked him to do. Vincent Jackson didn't get any catches for SD last nite, and may be the wild card vs. Pittsburgh.

HemiEd
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM

/homer

It is fortunate for San Diego that Marty plucked Sproles, Kansas State, in the draft before A.J. Smith fired him.
At the time, I felt Marty was trying to get his very own Dante Hall.

Brock
01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Letting Turner go was dumb.

KCwolf
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
This is what happens when RB's get old, it's a miracle he lasted as long as he did with all of his touches.

Rivers carried their team this year and now they're gonna have to find a new RB.

By "find a new RB" are U ensuing that Sproles is not that guy? San Diego needs 3 more games......not 17. Short Term Sproles looks OK to me. Not a USC guy....but OK.

CHENZ A!
01-05-2009, 09:43 PM

/homer

No way, he is not Priest.. He is a crybaby.

healthpellets
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
i'll happily take him in the 6th round of my fantasy draft this year...