PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dominik A Candidate For Chiefs G.M. Position

raypec85
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5074

Dominik A Candidate For Chiefs G.M. Position

By: Scott Reynolds

January 4, 2009 @ 9:40pm
Bucs director of pro personnel Mark Dominik is being considered for the K.C. G.M. position (Cliff Welch)

Bucs director of pro personnel Mark Dominik is being considered for the K.C. G.M. position (Cliff Welch)

Bucs director of pro personnel Mark Dominik, who grew up in Kansas and graduated from KU, has emerged as a candidate for the Chiefs G.M. position. Dominik has spent the last 14 years in the Bucs' pro scouting department. ALSO: Raheem Morris interviews in Denver for the head coaching job on Monday.

Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, who interviews for the vacant Broncos head-coaching job on Monday in Denver, may not be the only member of the Buccaneers headed to the AFC West.

NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports that Bucs director of pro personnel Mark Dominik is one of the candidates Kansas City owner Clark Hunt is considering for the Chiefs general manager position. Carl Peterson stepped down at the end of the season in Kansas City after serving as the team’s president and general manager since 1989.

According to Schefter, other candidates for the Chiefs general manager position include New England executive Scott Pioli, Indianapolis vice president of football operations Chris Polian and San Diego director of player personnel Jimmy Raye.

Dominik has ties to the Kansas City area, growing up in nearby Lawrence, Kans. and graduating from the University of Kansas. Dominik got his start in pro football with the Chiefs as a scouting intern in 1994 before being hired by the Buccaneers to work in the pro scouting department in June 1995. Dominik has quite a front office resume` having worked for Peterson, Terry Bradway and Bill Rees in Kansas City for a year a half before coming to Tampa Bay where he worked for general manager Rich McKay and personnel men Jerry Angelo, Tim Ruskell, Ruston Webster and general manager Bruce Allen.

Determining the fate of Kansas City head coach Herm Edwards, whom Dominik worked with in Tampa Bay from 1996-2000, will be the priority for the Chiefs’ new general manager. Dominik has some experience to lean on having worked with some outstanding coaches in his 14-year NFL career, including Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City, and Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay.

After working as an assistant pro scout upon his arrival in Tampa Bay in 1995, Dominik was promoted to the role of pro scout in ’98. In 2000, he was elevated to the role of pro personnel coordinator before being named the team’s pro personnel director in 2004.

Sources in Kansas City have told PewterReport.com that Dominik is a candidate for the vacant G.M. position and that the 43-year old Hunt, who inherited ownership of the team from his deceased father, legendary NFL owner and oil tycoon Lamar Hunt, wants to go with a younger, forward-thinking general manager to replace Peterson, who is 20 years his elder. The 37-year old Dominik seems to fit the criteria and has played a role in Tampa Bay signing former Pro Bowl linebacker Shelton Quarles from the Canadian Football League, signing starting left tackle Donald Penn off Minnesota’s practice squad and helping the team acquire center Jeff Faine and wide receiver Antonio Bryant this year among others.

Like Clark, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen wants to go in a younger direction at head coach after firing the 56-year old Mike Shanahan on Wednesday after coaching in Denver for 14 years. The 32-year old Morris, who signed a two-year extension on Christmas to replace legendary Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, meets Bowlen's criteria and flies to Denver for an interview on Monday. Bowlen has already met with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnulo and New England play-caller Josh McDaniels.

Brock
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staffdetail.aspx?staffid=239

splatbass
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Determining the fate of Kansas City head coach Herm Edwards, whom Dominik worked with in Tampa Bay from 1996-2000, will be the priority for the Chiefs’ new general manager.

I don't like this, it could mean he would retain Herm.

HemiEd
01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
He sounds like the prospect most likely to keep Herm, no thanks.

Bill Lundberg
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
If he was in any way responsible for Tampa acquiring Ryan Sims then no thank you.

raypec85
01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
It doesn't look like he has much to do with Tampa's draft, and I can't think of any stand out free agent acquisitions they've had that impress me all that much (and I don't have time to go look them up). I mean I guess Garcia was pretty good but I like KC's direction of building with younger talent (also one reason btw that I don't like Pioli).

Zouk
01-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Picking up a starting playoff left tackle off another's team practice squad (Donald Penn), a Super Bowl middle linebacker from Canada (Shelton Quarles) and signing a Pro Bowl quality receiver nobody else wanted off the street (Antonio Bryant) is as good a sign of work from a pro personnel director as possible.

The first stage of big money free agency is driven by owners, GMs, and head coaches. Finding diamonds in the rough for short money is the job of a pro personnel director and no one has done better than Dominik.

eazyb81
01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
a beaker? Pass.

raypec85
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Picking up a starting playoff left tackle off another's team practice squad (Donald Penn), a Super Bowl middle linebacker from Canada (Shelton Quarles) and signing a Pro Bowl quality receiver nobody else wanted off the street (Antonio Bryant) is as good a sign of work from a pro personnel director as possible.

The first stage of big money free agency is driven by owners, GMs, and head coaches. Finding diamonds in the rough for short money is the job of a pro personnel director and no one has done better than Dominik.

Ok like I said I don't have time to look it up:D I'm too AFC West centric to have even heard of Donald Penn - is he above average? Shelton Quarles I've heard of (a position the Chiefs have struggled mightily to fill). Unless I'm confusing Antonio Bryant with someone else he's older than what I hope the Chiefs continue to build with.

Mr. Laz
01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
that fact that Zouk likes him should scare the shit out Chiefs fans everywhere

Manila-Chief
01-05-2009, 10:37 AM
This sounds like the guy Clark will go with, since Clark wants to keep Herm, this guy would more than likely keep him. Doesn't look good ... on all aspects. I like the choices from N.E., Indy, Steelers, & Ravens .. those are teams who handle their elder statesmen well, constantly rebuild or rather find talent to restock and are winners year after year.

BTW, I don't like the guy from S.D. coz I'm not too impressed with how Smith has run things there. Now just in case SD wins the SB, it will prove him correct over firing a 14-2 coach ... if they get beat this coming week-end .. nope!!!

Gotta admit that SD did us a favor by allowing Clark to interview the guy from Indy this week ... if he so desires.

Bob Dole
01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Bob Dole has a sinking feeling that Clark is going to go the cheapest route possible...and since Bob Dole hasn't seen this guy's name on anyone else's list, this is probably it.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Bob Dole has a sinking feeling that Clark is going to go the cheapest route possible...and since Bob Dole hasn't seen this guy's name on anyone else's list, this is probably it.Dude, If we hire this cat, I'm done. They'll continue to wallow in mediocrity and my loyalty can only take some much being trampled on.

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Not happening.

Even with Clark keeping things close to the vest, something would have leaked by now - Tampa missing the playoffs means this guy went un-contacted for an entire week - and is supposedly a candidate?

Sorry, I don't see it.

Micjones
01-05-2009, 12:13 PM
If he can bring Morris along with him...
:D

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Not happening.

Even with Clark keeping things close to the vest, something would have leaked by now - Tampa missing the playoffs means this guy went un-contacted for an entire week - and is supposedly a candidate?

Sorry, I don't see it.

This.

TEX
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Dude looks like some mobster.

suds79
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Anybody who would possibly consider keeping Herm should be out in my book.

1 - You'd have to question their intelligence

2 - It'd just be another year for our young players to be damaged by his entire staff's ineffective coaching.

Frosty
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Not happening.

Sorry, I don't see it.

I think his name keeps coming up because he has ties to KC in the past. Same with Bradway.

Lazy journalism.

Titty Meat
01-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Yea and Vermiel signed a free agent for peanuts (Priest Holmes), signed a journeyman WR (Kennison) and traded a middle round pick for a HOT LT (Roaf). None of that mattered cause we drafted like shit. The Bucs drafts haven't been that great. Scott Pioli would be a better GM.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't like this, it could mean he would retain Herm.

My thought exactly. No thanks.

DaWolf
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna say I won't approve of this hire. Like Clark cares...

Jilly
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Hunt should just fire Herm now as to avoid any further confusion. Seriously? Why wait

triple
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
all i know is, if the next GM retains Herm I'm going to go ballistic

Zouk
01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Yea and Vermiel signed a free agent for peanuts (Priest Holmes), signed a journeyman WR (Kennison) and traded a middle round pick for a HOT LT (Roaf). None of that mattered cause we drafted like shit. The Bucs drafts haven't been that great. Scott Pioli would be a better GM.

He hasn't been involved in their drafting. He's the PRO personnel director.

During the Vermeil era, our director of PRO personnel did a phenomenal job. That was Bill Kuharich. He's only gone back to doing college work since Herm came in.

The guys responsible for drafting in the Vermiel era - Peterson, Stiles, Cook, Vermeil himself - they did as bad a job as conceivably possible.

Titty Meat
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM

During the Vermeil era, our director of PRO personnel did a phenomenal job. That was Bill Kuharich. He's only gone back to doing college work since Herm came in.

The guys responsible for drafting in the Vermiel era - Peterson, Stiles, Cook, Vermeil himself - they did as bad a job as conceivably possible.

Kuharich did a good job with pro personal but as with drafting? Meh. If Dominik were the GM does that mean he would bring in guys from Tampa who helped draft in Tampa? If so no thanks.

tooge
01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I think Clark knows he has to make a pretty big splash in the minds of the fans or tickets sales are going nowhere. I would be shocked if it turned out to be Dominik

Chiefnj2
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM

It's probably fair to say that: (1) Peterson, Stiles, Cook and Vermeil drafted horribly, and (2) Peterson, Kuharich and Vermeil did an excellent job with free agents and trades.

Zouk
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
It's probably fair to say that: (1) Peterson, Stiles, Cook and Vermeil drafted horribly, and (2) Peterson, Kuharich and Vermeil did an excellent job with free agents and trades.

Exactly.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I think Clark knows he has to make a pretty big splash in the minds of the fans or tickets sales are going nowhere. I would be shocked if it turned out to be Dominik

The biggest splash isnt always the best choice.

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
The biggest splash isn't always the best choice.

This.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Dominik isn't my choice but you guys flip out way too much just bc there is a connection to Herm. He has a pretty solid resume behind him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Dominik isn't my choice but you guys flip out way too much just bc there is a connection to Herm. He has a pretty solid resume behind him.

Well, look at it this way; if we retain Herm we can most-assuredly count on great draft position for 2010 as well! :doh!:

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Well, look at it this way; if we retain Herm we can most-assuredly count on great draft position for 2010 as well! :doh!:

We can have Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown or Chuck Noll and we would still be drafting in the top 10 next year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
We can have Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown or Chuck Noll and we would still be drafting in the top 10 next year.

I'm not so certain. I believe that our current roster is a hell of a lot better than the staff coaching them.

Meh, who knows?

Titty Meat
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I bet we get someone from the Steelers. Clark talked about Pittsburgh alot during one of his interviews. This team was competitve this year with a better coach who can make adjustments why can't we win more games next year with more talent? Plus the divison sucks.