PDA

View Full Version : Football My thoughts on OSU vs Texas game.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
First off, it sucks to lose a game we should have won. I was very disappointed with the defensive lapses we had that allowed them to score two touchdowns, the final TD being the game ender. I was very suprised at the pressure we were able to apply on McCoy all night. It really is true, the Big 12 doesn't play against any good defenses, and if I were Oklahoma I would be a little scared. Alex Boone absolutely dominated Orakpo on all but maybe 3 plays. Orakpo literally didn't do anything at all in helping to stop the run game, he pretty much disappeared. I believe he had a sack on Boeckman at the end, but IMO he is definetely not a top 3 choice. Boone had trouble all year with speed rushers, and he really came out to play last night, hats off to Boone.

I wasn't overly impressed with McCoy, he is pretty illusive, and was accurate for the most part, but I was expecting a lot more. I was very disappointed with the penalties OSU accrued, very disappointed. Thaddeus Gibson was all over McCoy, maybe too much as he had two personal fouls against him. The first penalty was warranted, the second was complete BS which the replay showed.

James Laurinaitis was all over the field, I think those who doubted him were proved wrong last night. He was very effective shedding blockers, whenever he blitzed he applied pressure, and he was just a monster, he plays sideline to sideline like no one else.

Pryor is going to be a monster. Beanie was once again great for the 75% he played, he will not come back next year, he is just to injury prone. I think OSU earned a lot of respect last night, hats off to Texas fans.

jidar
01-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Texas was asleep the entire first half. Overthrowing easy screen passes, dropping balls, missing blocking assignments, it was horrible and not at all what they looked like in the regular season.

They should have won by 20 at least

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
First off, it sucks to lose a game we should have won. I was very disappointed with the defensive lapses we had that allowed them to score two touchdowns, the final TD being the game ender. I was very suprised at the pressure we were able to apply on McCoy all night. It really is true, the Big 12 doesn't play against any good defenses, and if I were Oklahoma I would be a little scared. Alex Boone absolutely dominated Orakpo on all but maybe 3 plays. Orakpo literally didn't do anything at all in helping to stop the run game, he pretty much disappeared. I believe he had a sack on Boeckman at the end, but IMO he is definetely not a top 3 choice. Boone had trouble all year with speed rushers, and he really came out to play last night, hats off to Boone.

I wasn't overly impressed with McCoy, he is pretty illusive, and was accurate for the most part, but I was expecting a lot more. I was very disappointed with the penalties OSU accrued, very disappointed. Thaddeus Gibson was all over McCoy, maybe too much as he had two personal fouls against him. The first penalty was warranted, the second was complete BS which the replay showed.

James Laurinaitis was all over the field, I think those who doubted him were proved wrong last night. He was very effective shedding blockers, whenever he blitzed he applied pressure, and he was just a monster, he plays sideline to sideline like no one else.

Pryor is going to be a monster. Beanie was once again great for the 75% he played, he will not come back next year, he is just to injury prone. I think OSU earned a lot of respect last night, hats off to Texas fans.

I don't think you can blame the defense. The problem is that the defense couldn't stay off the field, because the offense kept going 3 and out in the third quarter. They were probably just gassed. Tressel is still as good a coach as there is in terms of preparing players, but man, his offense simply has no imagination and OSU MUST force him to make some changes to his assistant coaches.

I'll tell you what, Todd Boeckman has potential to be a Drew Bledsoe like player. If you give him protection, he is an extremely good passer, but he's a statue, and that's no good behind OSU's average offensive line. Pryor, I'm not so convinced of his potential. He is extremely elusive, but he's a very, very long way from being a fundamentally good QB. He threw a ton of easy passes into the dirt instead of hitting a wide open receiver and for a guy who's so impressive at avoiding the pass rush, he's horrible at throwing on the run. He's young, so there's still time, but his passing this season has been horrible. And I can only hope that he doesn't become too comfortable with his legs, because if he does, he'll never develop into the passer he needs to be to see any long-term success.

Garcia Bronco
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
One thing I notice was how small the Texas fonrts were compared to the OSU fronts. I think that allowed them to get more pressure on Texas IMO. I can't wait to see Thursday's game and see if OU is smallish compared to Florida.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Texas was asleep the entire first half. Overthrowing easy screen passes, dropping balls, missing blocking assignments, it was horrible and not at all what they looked like in the regular season.

The same can be said about OSU, we had the ball in prime oppurtunities but couldn't get the offense moving. Texas wasn't dropping many balls in the first half, maybe you mean Ohio State who dropped just about everything the whole game, aside from Robo. I think it's funny, because there is just no way OSU's defense is good, it just had to be Texas offense was terrible or asleep.

luv
01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
The same can be said about OSU, we had the ball in prime oppurtunities but couldn't get the offense moving. Texas wasn't dropping many balls in the first half, maybe you mean Ohio State who dropped just about everything the whole game, aside from Robo. I think it's funny, because there is just no way OSU's defense is good, it just had to be Texas offense was terrible or asleep.

I know you're being sarcastic, but did you watch Texas during the regular season?

sedated
01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
If Texas played Overrated State 10 times, I'm pretty sure Texas would win at least 9

Brock
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
OSU is consistently the most boring, unwatchable team in CFB.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't think you can blame the defense. The problem is that the defense couldn't stay off the field, because the offense kept going 3 and out in the third quarter. They were probably just gassed. Tressel is still as good a coach as there is in terms of preparing players, but man, his offense simply has no imagination and OSU MUST force him to make some changes to his assistant coaches.

I'll tell you what, Todd Boeckman has potential to be a Drew Bledsoe like player. If you give him protection, he is an extremely good passer, but he's a statue, and that's no good behind OSU's average offensive line. Pryor, I'm not so convinced of his potential. He is extremely elusive, but he's a very, very long way from being a fundamentally good QB. He threw a ton of easy passes into the dirt instead of hitting a wide open receiver and for a guy who's so impressive at avoiding the pass rush, he's horrible at throwing on the run. He's young, so there's still time, but his passing this season has been horrible. And I can only hope that he doesn't become too comfortable with his legs, because if he does, he'll never develop into the passer he needs to be to see any long-term success.

Yes, I said it in other posts, the offense didn't help the defense stay off the field much in the second half. Give the offense some credit, they dominated TOP in the first half. Secondly, mental lapses in the defense cost us two touchdowns, if your that tired then you need to call a timeout, you can't afford to give up points, and 500 offsides penalties. I don't know how good Tressel is at preparing players, because the Florida, LSU, and USC games all looked like we never even got off the plane. I will agree with you, and I have been saying this since the Florida game, we need to hire an actual offensive Coordinator, and get a new DC, it's time for some change.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I know you're being sarcastic, but did you watch Texas during the regular season?

Yes I did, and the defenses they played were laughable. Just like Texas' defense was, they were ranked 2nd in the Country against the run, and we ran on them for over 200 yards. They actually played a team with a good running game, and good defense.

alanm
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
In your assessment you would have to now include Ohio St. as not having a very good defense since you allowed McCoy to have a career night passing the ball. ;)

luv
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes I did, and the defenses they played were laughable. Just like Texas' defense was, they were ranked 2nd in the Country against the run, and we ran on them for over 200 yards. They actually played a team with a good running game, and good defense.

And won.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
In your assessment you would have to now include Ohio St. as not having a very good defense since you allowed McCoy to have a career night passing the ball. ;)

Oh he threw all over us, there's no doubt about that, but I didn't see them score the 44 per game they average in the Big 12.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
And won.

Yep, when it comes down to it, that's all that matters.

TEX
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM

First off how can you say that you "should have won" the game? The way I saw it was that both teams were good, but Texas was/is better. They always answered and found ways to score after OSU took away the running game. When it came time to win the game, Colt came through (as usual) in a big way. How could you not be impressed with that and the 400 plus yards passing? Keep in mind, OSU knew that Texas had to pass to move the ball but couldn't do anything about it. Some advice for Mr. Red Vest - Do not make Colt McCoy beat you -he will most every time.

HOOK 'EM!

TEX
01-06-2009, 09:49 AM
OSU is consistently the most boring, unwatchable team in CFB.

That consistently loses BCS Bowls...

Mojo Jojo
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
That was a fun game to watch...at least the second half. I wasn't rooting for either team, but by the end I was rooting for Texas because the Color Guy in the booth was so pro TOSU.

I couldn't believe when Texas scored their second TD in the 3rd quarter his comment was...paraphrased...another long penalty aided Texas touchdown drive. If I recall there were only two TOSU penalties both were offsides and both were declined.

Just my take. I did watching that game.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
First off how can you say that you "should have won" the game? The way I saw it was that both teams were good, but Texas was/is better. They always answered and found ways to score after OSU took away the running game. When it came time to win the game, Colt came through (as usual) in a big way. How could you not be impressed with that and the 400 plus yards passing? Keep in mind, OSU knew that Texas had to pass to move the ball but couldn't do anything about it. Some advice for Mr. Red Vest - Do not make Colt McCoy beat you -he will most every time.
HOOK 'EM!

Ummmm, probably for the fact that we were leading, and should of stopped you on that 4th down which would of ended the game. That second statement just shows your stupidity, considering the last time JT's squad played McCoy we smashed you.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
That consistently loses BCS Bowls...

Thanks you Captain Obvious. :spock:

Mr. Laz
01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Laurinaitis did look good

Radar Chief
01-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I couldn't believe when Texas scored their second TD in the 3rd quarter his comment was...paraphrased...another long penalty aided Texas touchdown drive. If I recall there were only two TOSU penalties both were offsides and both were declined.

Oh, I noticed that also.
He mentioned it again at the end of the game. The tard.

kepp
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
The one announcer was decidedly pro-OSU...very annoying. Also, I think we've seen enough over the last few years to be able to legitimately drop "THE" from the OSU description. Or at least we can make it lower-case.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Laurinaitis did look good

Man he was shredding blockers, and he was laying the wood on McCoy. I just love JL's game, he has a non-stop motor just very relentless, always around the ball, he is great in coverage, and he can get to the QB, he is very fast. I just prefer fundamentally sounds players, and he is fundamental, very smart player.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2009, 10:07 AM
My thoughts on the game:

Laurinaitis had a good game. He has good range and was effective on blitzes. He's a solid wrap up tackler but got dragged a little a few times. Not a top 10 player, but he'll be a solid pickup mid/late 1st.

Boone looked pretty good. I still see him and Loadholt at RT's in the draft.

McCoy - I know he doesn't play in a pro set, but he still reminds me a bit of Matt Ryan in college. He had a poor first half and made some boneheaded throws, but at the end of the day he was calm, cool and accurate as he led them on the winning drive.

Orakpo disappeared for all but the first and 2nd to last play of the game.

I didn't actually hear the call, but I thought the questionable roughing the passer the call was for the right hand to the head as opposed to helmet-to-helmet.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 10:07 AM
That was a fun game to watch...at least the second half. I wasn't rooting for either team, but by the end I was rooting for Texas because the Color Guy in the booth was so pro TOSU.

No, Thaddeus Gibson had his second roughing the passer on that drive.

kepp
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I didn't actually hear the call, but I thought the questionable roughing the passer the call was for the right hand to the head as opposed to helmet-to-helmet.

That was my view of it as well. The announcers were griping about it because they said it wasn't helmet-to-helmet, but they'll call even the slightest hit to the QB's head.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
i'm hoping that Laurinaitis falls to us at the 33rd pick

Mojo Jojo
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
No, Thaddeus Gibson had his second roughing the passer on that drive.

Sorry, I must have missed that. Like I said I wasn't rooting for either team just watching football.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
i'm hoping that Laurinaitis falls to us at the 33rd pick

Boeckman will be there too.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Please tell me your joking? Boeckman will do absolutely nothing in the Pro's, I don't even think he should get a shot.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Ha. Sorry. Jumped on the #3 pick comment before you fixed (thought you were joking). I agree, Laurinaitis would be an awesome #33 pick, but he won't be there. He'll probably end up somewhere between 10-20 (probably the latter of the two)

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry, I must have missed that. Like I said I wasn't rooting for either team just watching football.

No biggie.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Please tell me your joking? Boeckman will do absolutely nothing in the Pro's, I don't even think he should get a shot.

Yes, I was joking.

And I think Boeckman could be a really solid backup for a team that has an outstanding offensive line. He's a really good passer, if you give him time. Not a guy you want leading your team, but not a bad guy to have to come off your bench and win 1 or 2 games while your starting QB is nursing an injury.

Chief Henry
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Just a thought here. When officials make an obvious bad call such as the case in the helmet to helmet call in the first half on the OSU lineman. The replays showed clearly that it was NOT a penalty. Should College football or the NFL consider using instant replay to over rule such a bad call. Because on the very next play Texas QB Colt McCoy scores a TD and the game is severely changed from that point on.

Replays clearly showed it was NOT a penalty and I'm guessing Colt McCoy doesn't score a TD if they don't pick up those 15 yards :shrug:

Maybe it would be opening up a can of worms !

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM

I wouldn't draft Boeckman with the 250th pick.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree, Laurinaitis would be an awesome #33 pick, but he won't be there. He'll probably end up somewhere between 10-20 (probably the latter of the two)
maybe .... but every year a guy projected in the 1st round drops to the top of the 2nd round.

everyone focuses on get a high pick in the 1st round but it really helps in RD 2 and 3 as well .... it's almost like we get two 1st round picks.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't draft Boeckman with the 250th pick.

It was a joke. I think he could be drafted in the 6th or 7th round by a team that has a solid, young starter, but looking for a pure backup. The Giants are one such example. But most likely he'll be undrafted and he'll probably end up, next year, as an undrafted rookie on a roster that doesn't need him. I think he could do fine in a situation that makes sense, but I doubt that he'll end up in that kind of a place.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
The replays showed clearly that it was NOT a penalty. worms !

Why wasn't his right hand to the head a penalty?

Chief Henry
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Why wasn't his right hand to the head a penalty?

I don't recall seeing that...it could have. Was it a hard slap to the head ?

The helmet to helmet call was brutal, the official called what he saw from his positioning on the field. The TV replay showed why the official threw the flag. From his position it looked like he hit him with the helmet. Most officials prolly throw the flag on that play. I'm just wondering if replays should be used in certain circumstances when the calls a obviously wrong.

TEX
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Ummmm, probably for the fact that we were leading, and should of stopped you on that 4th down which would of ended the game. That second statement just shows your stupidity, considering the last time JT's squad played McCoy we smashed you.

Typical LOSER response. Ask legitimate questions, and point out that both teams are good, and the fan of the losing team resorts to name calling...I was talking about this year. The last time you played Texas, Colt McCoy WAS A TRUE FRESHMAN. He's gotten a bit better since then - but you probably haden't noticed - because you were not impressed with a QB who torched your defense for 400+ yards and came through with the game on the line.

Go talk to yourself about what stupidity really is...:hmmm:

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Typical LOSER response. Ask legitimate questions, and point out that both teams are good, and the fan of the losing team resorts to name calling...I was talking about this year. The last time you played Texas, Colt McCoy WAS A TRUE FRESHMAN. He's gotten a bit better since then - but you probably haden't noticed - because you were not impressed with a QB who torched your defense for 400+ yards and came through with the game on the line.

Go talk to yourself about what stupidity really is...:hmmm:

Wow you really are dumb. You asked how we should of won the game, I answered that question. Then you make a stupid remark about how JT knows he can't beat McCoy, when JT's team beat McCoy when he was a freshman. Yet you are the one who is rebutting my calling you on your stupidity, wow talk about audacity. See I don't understand how you say oh JT can't beat McCoy, then when I bring up the fact that he did, you say "Oh well he was a TRUE FRESHMAN!!!11!!!1!!11!". Then I should be able to say "We only lost because Pryor was a TRUE FRESHMAN!!11!!!!1!!11". Your posts are terrible, the points you are trying to make are overshadowed by your blatant ignorance.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Like OSU didn't have their fair share of issues themselves. The final score was 24-21, people don't have to like it, but OSU played like they deserved to be there last night. It is this mentality that kills me. Like people from the SEC claiming, "Well, Alabama is much better than Utah, but they didn't come to play." So let me get this straight, if the SEC wins, the other team sucks, but if the SEC losses, the SEC didn't come to play. The final score is what it is, stop making excuses for Texas, they are a good team, so is OSU.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Like OSU didn't have their fair share of issues themselves. The final score was 24-21, people don't have to like it, but OSU played like they deserved to be their last night. It is this mentality that kills me. Like people from the SEC claiming, "Well, Alabama is much better than Utah, but they didn't come to play." So let me get this straight, if the SEC wins, the other team sucks, but if the SEC losses, the SEC didn't come to play. The final score is what it is, stop making excuses for Texas, they are a good team, so is OSU.

I never made the claim about Bama/Utah. I think both are good teams but Utah matches up very well against Alabama.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I never made the claim about Bama/Utah. I think both are good teams but Utah matches up very well against Alabama.

Yes. And people forget that games aren't played on paper and you can't say, well so and so beat them, so they could beat you. Football is a game of matchups. BTW, I wasn't refering to you when it came to the Utah/Bama game, I've heard several people on talk radio discuss it. Frankly, I think Utah is good, but not having the best OT in football and having other injures on their line (Alabama), may have been why Utah got so much pressure. Not saying they don't have a good D, it was a combination of both.

MGRS13
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
One thing I notice was how small the Texas fonrts were compared to the OSU fronts. I think that allowed them to get more pressure on Texas IMO. I can't wait to see Thursday's game and see if OU is smallish compared to Florida.
"The utah lines are to small to run with alabamas front. Alabama will wear them out and run over them in the 4th"............oh wait never mind. Football cliches get real old real fast. I bet the best team will win on thursday not the biggest.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
"The utah lines are to small to run with alabamas front. Alabama will wear them out and run over them in the 4th"............oh wait never mind. Football cliches get real old real fast. I bet the best team will win on thursday not the biggest.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, you do realize Alabama was without the best OT in the country and probable top-5 pick Andre Smith, right?

POND_OF_RED
01-06-2009, 01:58 PM
OSU defense was on there heels all night against the hurry up. I never saw them truly get set up. That last defensive play was terrible. No BCS team should be dumb enough to crowd the line with 20 seconds left knowing the other team needs a touchdown. Did they think a draw play was coming?

Also how will Pryor be a monster? Every pass I saw him throw was about 5 yards from the receiver. Sure the guys athletic, but he can't pass for shit and he's a QB.

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
OSU defense was on there heels all night against the hurry up. I never saw them truly get set up. That last defensive play was terrible. No BCS team should be dumb enough to crowd the line with 20 seconds left knowing the other team needs a touchdown. Did they think a draw play was coming?

Also how will Pryor be a monster? Every pass I saw him throw was about 5 yards from the receiver. Sure the guys athletic, but he can't pass for shit and he's a QB.

That last play reminded me of Mizzou blitzing the safety against Kansas on Kansas' last touchdown. Someone should be fired for those kinds of decisions.

POND_OF_RED
01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
That last play reminded me of Mizzou blitzing the safety against Kansas on Kansas' last touchdown. Someone should be fired for those kinds of decisions.

:doh!: You just had to bring that up. I think Eberflus should have not only been fired, but sentenced to some jail time as well for that whole game.

I'm not sure if OSU called that play or if it was a miscommunication with the players. They never seemed to get lined up right when the ball was snapped.

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
:doh!: You just had to bring that up.

:evil:

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
[/B]

Yes. And people forget that games aren't played on paper and you can't say, well so and so beat them, so they could beat you. Football is a game of matchups. BTW, I wasn't refering to you when it came to the Utah/Bama game, I've heard several people on talk radio discuss it. Frankly, I think Utah is good, but not having the best OT in football and having other injures on their line (Alabama), may have been why Utah got so much pressure. Not saying they don't have a good D, it was a combination of both.

Good post.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 02:35 PM
:doh!: You just had to bring that up. I think Eberflus should have not only been fired, but sentenced to some jail time as well for that whole game.

I'm not sure if OSU called that play or if it was a miscommunication with the players. They never seemed to get lined up right when the ball was snapped.

If your talking about the very last touchdown, nothing was messed up, Anderson Russell our safety just missed a tackle, it happens, but it killed us. The touchdown before that was definetely a FUBAR play, our D-Line didn't get set our LB's are safeties didn't even know the ball had been snapped.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM

This was the first game where he really was inaccurate and it showed. There's no doubt we are a run first offense, JT has tried to protect Pryor from having to make plays to win the game. He is usually quite a bit more accurate than that, and if you weren't impressed with his ability to avoid the rush and make plays with his legs, then I don't know what would impress you.

MGRS13
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
While I agree with your overall sentiment, you do realize Alabama was without the best OT in the country and probable top-5 pick Andre Smith, right?
Unless he also plays linebacker or DB it wouldn't have mattered.

Sure-Oz
01-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Exactly....

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Unless he also plays linebacker or DB it wouldn't have mattered.

So Andre Smith wouldn't have helped reduce the number of sacks (7) or helped improve Alabama's rush game? You can't be serious.

MGRS13
01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
So Andre Smith wouldn't have helped reduce the number of sacks (7) or helped improve Alabama's rush game? You can't be serious.
Did u watch the game? Yes Smith would have made a slight difference but utah was better they would win that game with smith playing.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Did u watch the game? Yes Smith would have made a slight difference but utah was better they would win that game with smith playing.

Not saying Utah wouldn't have won. I already stated they matchup well against Alabama. However, the game would have been closer than it was.

MGRS13
01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Not saying Utah wouldn't have won. I already stated they matchup well against Alabama. However, the game would have been closer than it was.
i don't know maybe. If he only "showed up" as much as the other guys on his team that night then I doubt he would have made any difference.

BigMeatballDave
01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
OSU is consistently the most boring, unwatchable team in CFB.Meet Jim Tressel, AKA, Marty. I agree. And I'm and OSU fan...

BigMeatballDave
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
If Texas played Overrated State 10 times, I'm pretty sure Texas would win at least 9I'm surprised the Buckeyes didn't get their asses handed to them.

POND_OF_RED
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
[/B]
if you weren't impressed with his ability to avoid the rush and make plays with his legs, then I don't know what would impress you.

I guess I'm just used to judging QB's by their throwing ability. I'm just weird like that.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess I'm just used to judging QB's by their throwing ability. I'm just weird like that.

Oh your sarcasm is hilarious. :rolleyes:

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM

ROFL

He's right though. That was the worst I've seen Pryor look throwing the ball. His ability to give himself more time is amazing. There was one game this year where he escaped three sure tackles and threw a TD strike. Was impressive. I'll give him a little time. He is a true freshman.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Meet Jim Tressel, AKA, Marty. I agree. And I'm and OSU fan...

Yep, he is as conservative as they come. Very boring to watch, I'll agree with that. Not since Troy Smith have we had a great offense.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Yep, he is as conservative as they come. Very boring to watch, I'll agree with that. Not since Troy Smith have we had a great offense.

We don't have the playmakers that we had then. Gonzalez, Ginn, Smith, Pittman, Holmes. That is an amazing group.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
ROFL

He's right though. That was the worst I've seen Pryor look throwing the ball. His ability to give himself more time is amazing. There was one game this year where he escaped three sure tackles and threw a TD strike. Was impressive. I'll give him a little time. He is a true freshman.

That was the Northwestern game, what a hell of a play. He was just off against Texas, it wasn't pretty to watch. I nearly had a heart attack when he overthrew Brandon Smith in the flats where no one was near him for 15 yards. What was the deal with him runnning out of bounds before the first down on that one play? He had an extra five yards to the closest defender. Boy Dan Herron looked great didn't he?

I am going to mention two names that are going to be the next Thunder and Lightning for us. It's going to be Jamaal Berry, and Carlos Hyde, both are RB's from Flordia. Hyde is gonna be a FB for OSU, but google their names and watch their highlight tapes. They are gonna be good. We might even be able to snag Marlon Brown at WR, he is still undecided. I'm excited to see Duron Carter (Chris Carter's son) coming in, I think he is going to be good. Matter of fact, I have talked to a few OSU Alums, who said before the season DeVier Posey was gonna be the next Chris Carter, Posey is good, but JT sure didn't use him enough, but Posey has all the tools.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
We don't have the playmakers that we had then. Gonzalez, Ginn, Smith, Pittman, Holmes. That is an amazing group.

Boy what a group of players they were. It was funny the year we won the National Championship, my dad and myself went to the OSU vs PSU game, and we stayed after and got a ton of autographs. Anyway I had snuck around and got an autograph from some guy who no one wanted his autograph. I had him sign the back of my hat, I was like "I don't want this scrub taking up the good room", well it was Santonio Holmes, and it was his freshman year.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Boy what a group of players they were. It was funny the year we won the National Championship, my dad and myself went to the OSU vs PSU game, and we stayed after and got a ton of autographs. Anyway I had snuck around and got an autograph from some guy who no one wanted his autograph. I had him sign the back of my hat, I was like "I don't want this scrub taking up the good room", well it was Santonio Holmes, and it was his freshman year.

ROFL Just goes to show that you never know who is going to develop into a star player.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 04:24 PM
That was the Northwestern game, what a hell of a play. He was just off against Texas, it wasn't pretty to watch. I nearly had a heart attack when he overthrew Brandon Smith in the flats where no one was near him for 15 yards. What was the deal with him runnning out of bounds before the first down on that one play? He had an extra five yards to the closest defender. Boy Dan Herron looked great didn't he?
I am going to mention two names that are going to be the next Thunder and Lightning for us. It's going to be Jamaal Berry, and Carlos Hyde, both are RB's from Flordia. Hyde is gonna be a FB for OSU, but google their names and watch their highlight tapes. They are gonna be good. We might even be able to snag Marlon Brown at WR, he is still undecided. I'm excited to see Duron Carter (Chris Carter's son) coming in, I think he is going to be good. Matter of fact, I have talked to a few OSU Alums, who said before the season DeVier Posey was gonna be the next Chris Carter, Posey is good, but JT sure didn't use him enough, but Posey has all the tools.

I have no idea what he was thinking. I bet Jim coached him to run out of bounds. There have been many times this year, where he lowered his shoulder against members of the secondary. Dan did look great last night. A much better option than Saine. He's been a major disappointment, but somebody told me he has been injured most of the year. Concerning recruiting, I really want Marlon Brown to be a Buckeye. He's an amazing talent. We need more speed at the skill positions. Really are WR's aren't great. Robiskie is a posession receiver at the next level.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I have no idea what he was thinking. I bet Jim coached him to run out of bounds. There have been many times this year, where he lowered his shoulder against members of the secondary. Dan did look great last night. A much better option than Saine. He's been a major disappointment, but somebody told me he has been injured most of the year. Concerning recruiting, I really want Marlon Brown to be a Buckeye. He's an amazing talent. We need more speed at the skill positions. Really are WR's aren't great. Robiskie is a posession receiver at the next level.

Saine has been banged up all year, and he really has done nothing. People forget that Herron was the guy who got knocked out against Wisconsin, and he made it back before Saine even saw the field. Our WR's are all just possesion recievers who aren't half as good as Anthony Gonzalez was. We have some good recievers coming up, and coming into OSU, so if we could land Marlon Brown, and pair him with Duron Carter, you are talking about big time play makers. I hope Small doesn't come back, he hasn't earned his scholarship IMO, we could give that scholarship to Brown. I am also excited about Johnny Simon (sp) one of the highest DT recruits in the nation, they said at his senior workouts he benched 225 48 times, as a senior in high school? I don't know if you remember Mike Kudla, but I met him, and he benched 225 48 times as the NFL combine, and I got to see him lift weights. He was an absolute freak in the weight room, and I just dont see how a high school kid could do that. Simon is a freak though, he tosses people around.

kstater
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
1-6 pretty much sums up the conference known for their defense.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Saine has been banged up all year, and he really has done nothing. People forget that Herron was the guy who got knocked out against Wisconsin, and he made it back before Saine even saw the field. Our WR's are all just possesion recievers who aren't half as good as Anthony Gonzalez was. We have some good recievers coming up, and coming into OSU, so if we could land Marlon Brown, and pair him with Duron Carter, you are talking about big time play makers. I hope Small doesn't come back, he hasn't earned his scholarship IMO, we could give that scholarship to Brown. I am also excited about Johnny Simon (sp) one of the highest DT recruits in the nation, they said at his senior workouts he benched 225 48 times, as a senior in high school? I don't know if you remember Mike Kudla, but I met him, and he benched 225 48 times as the NFL combine, and I got to see him lift weights. He was an absolute freak in the weight room, and I just dont see how a high school kid could do that. Simon is a freak though, he tosses people around.

When I went to Miami of Ohio, we had a LB named Terna Nande like that. He was a physical specimen, I think he came out the same year as Kudla. I think that mark by Kudla is the combine record. I hope we get the Adams kid to pair with Simon. Would be nice to be able to apply pressure with the front 4.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Terna Nande got drafted by the Dolphins I'm not sure what happened to him after that.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Terna Nande got drafted by the Dolphins I'm not sure what happened to him after that.

I thought it was the Titans. Either way, he ran a 4.51 40, 41 bench reps, 39in vertical, 10'4 broad jump, 4.12 shuttle and a 6.98 cone. Pretty impressive for a 230LB OLB. We was a little on the smallish side, but his athletic ability was amazing.

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Utah No. 1? Ute got to be kidding me

By Gregg Doyel

The U.S. sports media has a new flavor of the month, and it's Utah. Which means it's up to you, readers and listeners and sports fans all over, to say no to this nonsense.

Not you in Utah, of course. You in Utah can say yes. The Utah football team just beat the crap out of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to finish an undefeated season -- the only undefeated season in major college football -- at 13-0. You in Utah ought to be proud of your team, thrilled for your achievement and reveling in the BCS bloodshed as you watch this imperfect system try to justify putting a one-loss team, either Florida or Oklahoma, ahead of your perfect Utes.

Go ahead with that, you in Utah.

Meanwhile, here on planet Earth ...

I mean, come on. Utah? From the Mountain West? There's an awful lot of momentum for Utah to be crowned king in the final Associated Press poll, the final one of the 2008 season, which comes out shortly after the ostensible national championship game between Florida and Oklahoma on Thursday night. The AP poll has that kind of freedom, considering it has cut ties with the Bowl Championship Series. The AP poll could make a stand for Utah, and against the BCS, all in one motion by erecting the Utes as the No. 1 team in college football.

Gag me.

Could we in the media, and everywhere else for that matter, please look at the Sugar Bowl for what it was? It was an exhibition game. It was meaningless. It was watered-down football, what with Alabama missing the very best pro prospect, and probably the very best player, in the SEC in suspended offensive tackle Andre Smith.

Now I'm in the position of having to make excuses for that cretin Nick Saban, and that really ticks me off. But here goes. In the span of one day, Alabama went from the fantasy of hoping to play for the national championship to the reality of having to play Utah in the Sugar Bowl. Until it lost to Florida in the SEC title game, Alabama thought it would play for everything. And then it ended up playing for nothing. That's the Sugar Bowl, if you're Alabama. It's nothing.

Go back to August, and it's a different story. Had you told the Crimson Tide in August, when they were unranked, that in January they would be playing an undefeated team, even Utah, in the Sugar Bowl, Alabama would have been good and fired up. But a lot changed. Over time Alabama ascended to No. 1, a plain mistake, but a mistake foisted on us by the same voters who now have the power in their hands to make Utah No. 1. So anything is possible.

But Alabama went from No. 1 to the stinking Sugar Bowl. Alabama was understandably down. Utah, given the chance to play a BCS league big boy, was understandably up. The result was understandable. Utah won 31-17.

And now it's everywhere. The Washington Post says Utah should be No. 1. That's not going to happen, of course, and the New York Daily News says Utah's exclusion from the No. 1 conversation is proof that the BCS is a failure.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth ...

People, please. Utah is the same team that beat Michigan 25-23. Michigan went 3-9 this season.

Utah is the same team that beat Air Force 30-23. Air Force went 8-5.

Utah beat Weber State 37-21. Weber State isn't even in Division I.

Utah beat New Mexico 13-10. New Mexico went 4-8.

These are facts. But people don't want to hear facts right now, because they'd rather burn down the big, bad BCS witch. As if the BCS is so bad. I'm all about getting the right system, just as long as someone can come up with one. An actual playoff, with 40,000 fans of Oklahoma or Ohio State or Texas being asked to mobilize week after week after week to the far reaches of the country? Not realistic. Games every weekend through the month of December, like they do it in Division I-AA? Feasible, but not ideal.

A plus-one system? Fine. But who are the plus-one teams this year? The winner of the Florida-Oklahoma game is one. Utah, I guess, would be another. What about Texas? Southern California?

You say plus-one, I say plus-four. And some years, plus-six. Which puts us back where we started, with no real solution to the BCS problem. Meanwhile, the BCS has been infinitely better than the previous system, where the No. 1 team in the country might beat the crap out of the No. 7 team in a Jan. 1 bowl and be crowned the national champion. At the time, people thought that made sense. You see my point? People are dumb. People are weak and easily influenced by the here and now.

So, people, please. Do not be fooled by the here and now of Utah's win over Alabama. Do not be fooled by the media clamoring.

Utah is a very good team, probably even a top 10 team.

But Florida would kick Utah's ass. And so would Oklahoma.

Assuming they weren't still laughing after watching film of Utah's games with Weber State and New Mexico.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/11229831

MGRS13
01-07-2009, 08:27 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/11229831
If they had just beat oklahoma or florida in the sugar bowl and alabama was in the NC this jackass would be saying alabama would beat the crap out of them. This is a bunch of shit. Utah beat bama by a bigger margin then florida did. i dont know who would win in a utah/ok matchup or a utah/florida matchup all I know is there is only one undefeated team this year and they deserve their share of the NC.

kepp
01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
If they had just beat oklahoma or florida in the sugar bowl and alabama was in the NC this jackass would be saying alabama would beat the crap out of them. This is a bunch of shit. Utah beat bama by a bigger margin then florida did. i dont know who would win in a utah/ok matchup or a utah/florida matchup all I know is there is only one undefeated team this year and they deserve their share of the NC.

Absolutely

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Utah beat bama by a bigger margin then florida did. i dont know who would win in a utah/ok matchup or a utah/florida matchup all I know is there is only one undefeated team this year and they deserve their share of the NC.

You completely ignore his main point: Alabama had everything to play for against Florida and a complete team. Alabama had nothing to play for against Utah and was missing its best player.

It's interesting how Utah having a larger margin of victory over Alabama is a big deal, but Utah's unimpressive just-squeaking-by victories over mediocre Michigan and New Mexico plus keeping it close with Weber St and Air Force don't matter.

Lono
01-07-2009, 08:54 AM

I was just talking about that last night to a Ohio State homer. That drove me crazy.

MGRS13
01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
You completely ignore his main point: Alabama had everything to play for against Florida and a complete team. Alabama had nothing to play for against Utah and was missing its best player.

It's interesting how Utah having a larger margin of victory over Alabama is a big deal, but Utah's unimpressive just-squeaking-by victories over mediocre Michigan and New Mexico plus keeping it close with Weber St and Air Force don't matter.

And you completly ignore the fact that their is only one undefeated team. Not to mention how many BCS schools do you think will be standing in line to book a home and home with utah now.

El Jefe
01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I was just talking about that last night to a Ohio State homer. That drove me crazy.

Well, not to be a homer, but three penalties on one drive is quite a bit. Considering one was illegal contact on third down, a 15 yard personal foul, and then an offsides. It doesn't matter, because we still lost, so who really gives a crap.

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Meyer: Utah, Texas, USC should fight to be No. 1

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Florida coach Urban Meyer believes Utah, Texas and Southern California should fight for their teams to be recognized as national champions.

Meyer said at a news conference Wednesday that Utah's Kyle Whittingham, Texas' Mack Brown and USC's Pete Carroll would be bad coaches if they didn't lobby to be ranked No. 1.

Carroll has proclaimed his Trojans the best in the country. Whittingham and Brown have made it clear they will vote their teams No. 1 in the coaches' poll regardless of what happens when the No. 1 Gators play No. 2 Oklahoma in the Bowl Championship Series national title game Thursday night.

Meyer did similar lobbying two years ago when he said his one-loss Gators should play in the BCS title game over Michigan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090107/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_t25_bcs_championship;_ylt=Ar2CpkaOtuuKG24CAIY1fpes0NUE

kepp
01-07-2009, 10:29 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090107/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_t25_bcs_championship;_ylt=Ar2CpkaOtuuKG24CAIY1fpes0NUE

USC may have the best argument if you consider their conference's bowl record.

MGRS13
01-07-2009, 10:34 AM
let them play Utah vs. USC and Texas vs. OK/Fl winner.
Next teams advance and you might have a ligit champ................cue VT fan in 3,2,1.......