PDA

View Full Version : Football HOFers Playing Now: Quarterbacks

cdcox
01-07-2009, 01:17 AM
This is the toughest one yet, but I think I’ve cracked the code.

What makes a HOF QB?

More than anything being on a winning team matters Everyone talks about how good of a QB Archie Manning was, but he'll he never sniffed the Hall. A 35-101-3 record as a starter is going to kill any chance for the HOF. He had 3 great years. Without a SB mixed in their that will never be enough. Maybe the Senior's committee will put him up the same year Peyton in eligible.

Championships matter. But that's not enough - Jim Plunkett has two SBs Ken Stabler has one but neither are in the hall. Despite having statistics at least as good as Joe Nameth. How Joe got in is one of the mysteries of the HOF. Why do Len Dawson and Bob Griese get in, but Stabler doesn't? It's not clear.

Huge stats matter. Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts and Dan Marino prove this. But it's not enough. Vinnie Testerverde and Drew Bledsoe aren't going to make it, despite having huge stats.

So here's my breakdown of current QBs;

IN:
Favre
P. Manning
Brady

I think he's in but a weird case
Kurt Warner - he has one ring and doesn't have the stats. Probably won't get another ring or the stats before he hangs them up. So is he Ken Stabler or Len Dawson. I'm going with the latter because for three years he was the best QB in the league, and after Marshall Faulk, was the face of that team.

In if they play long enough to get in the top 20 in stats -OR- win another ring -OR- maybe in even if they do neither of these
E. Manning
Roethlisberger

Need a ring to get in

I don't think any of these franchise QBs will compile enough stats to get in without a championship:

McNabb
Brees
Palmer
Rivers
Romo

Out even if he gets a ring, but really weird case
Kerry Collins is currently 14th in career passing yardage, but if the Titans win the Superbowl does anyone see him going to the Hall? No way. He has 1 probowl, and an overall losing record as a starter.

Can't get it up with a crane These guys won't win a championship, and won't get in even if they do:

Hasselbeck
Bulger
Delhomme (well he could get a ring this year, but not the hall)
Pennington

Anyone else is too young or washed up to mention.

kcxiv
01-07-2009, 01:46 AM
I think McNabb will get in without a ring.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Rivers career is just starting. He's going to have huge fucking numbers, IMO.

cdcox
01-07-2009, 01:55 AM

Rivers career is just starting. He's going to have huge fucking numbers, IMO.

Even if both of these guys throw for 4000 yards per year until they are 35, they are going to have numbers that look like Drew Bledsoe's. That's not enough these days.

BWillie
01-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Dude, what if Kurt Warner wins the super bowl. I know a long shot, but what are you gonna do? Keep a guy with that man super bowls and mvps out of the HOF. I like Kurt. Class act. 'Zona's doin it

JohnnyV13
01-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Kurt Warner will probably make it, simply because he's got a great story: arena league qb while stocking shelves at wal mart, to best qb in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Kurt Warner will probably make it, simply because he's got a great story: arena league qb while stocking shelves at wal mart, to best qb in the NFL.

He was on the shelf for five years. Are there any other quarterbacks in the HOF that were on the shelf for five years?

JohnnyV13
01-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Clayton....Roger Staubach served in the Navy for 5 years after college. Len Dawson sat on the bench for 5 years in the NFL, before coming to the AFL.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Clayton....Roger Staubach served in the Navy for 5 years after college. Len Dawson sat on the bench for 5 years in the NFL, before coming to the AFL.

Yeah, but I'm talking about in the middle of their careers. Warner basically did jack after he left the Rams for five years.

unothadeal
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

I disagree. I think he need 1, maybe 2 rings to get in.

Reerun_KC
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Thigpen!

He is the savior of the Chiefs Franchise /Chiefsplanet

Micjones
01-07-2009, 02:06 PM

I agree.

Here's a guy who needs just 2-3 more games to join the 30,000 Passing Yards club. In those 2-3 games he should also join the 200 TD club. He's thrown 100 more TD's than Interceptions. He's just a shade under 60% career completion percentage.

I think he's gonna get in regardless.

Amnorix
01-07-2009, 02:22 PM
McNabb is a close one. If he wins a ring one of these years it will REALLY help his case. Like a whole bunch.

Roethlisberger is on track, I think. Assuming he gets better and has a good long career and maybe gets another ring, he is a good shot for it. Eli is also off to a good start.

Rivers needs to get better. He's too inconsistent. Same with Romo and most of the others you metnioned.

Warner is either in or really close, I think, without looking up his stats.

Agreed that of all the ones currently active, only Favre, Peyton and Brady are locks even if they drop dead tomorrow.

Pitt Gorilla
01-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Kurt Warner will probably make it, simply because he's got a great story: arena league qb while stocking shelves at wal mart, to best qb in the NFL.Hy-Vee.

Reerun_KC
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I agree.

Here's a guy who needs just 2-3 more games to join the 30,000 Passing Yards club. In those 2-3 games he should also join the 200 TD club. He's thrown 100 more TD's than Interceptions. He's just a shade under 60% career completion percentage.

I think he's gonna get in regardless.

Well the media wants to see a Black QB succeed.... /LimBaugh