PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Stafford, Moreno to announce NFL decisions today

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Stafford, Moreno (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/01/07/stafford_moreno.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21)to announce NFL decisions today

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno will reveal at a 3 p.m. press conference today their decisions whether or not to submit their names for the NFL draft by the January 15 deadline for underclassmen.

“Coach [Mark] Richt, Matthew and Knowshon I believe as well are going to have a press confererence today at 3 o’clock Eastern time,” John Stafford said as he drove from Dallas to Athens early Wednesday morning. “I’m not going to reveal what Matthew’s decision is because it’s his decision and I want him to announce it. He went through the arduous process of trying to figure it out. He’s come to grips with it. So it’s up to him to speak about it.”

Mr. Stafford said his son consulted Kansas City Chiefs scout Mike Hagen, a friend of the family, as well as neighbor Troy Aikman and current NFL quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler about his decision. He also talked to Richt and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo at Georgia.

Richt said earlier this week that he’d talked to both players but wasn’t trying to heavily influence their decisions.

“There’s been some of contact but, again, I don’t want to put any undo pressure on these young men,” Richt said. “I want what’s best for them. They have to figure it out for themselves what that is. All I can say is, if they stay I want their whole heart. I want them to do it because they want to do it. I want them to love the place and believe in what we’re doing, love the people and want to do great things. I want them to want to be part of a great team and a great program. I don’t want a guy who is only half-hearted.

“But I will say this: If Matthew or Knowshon come back it will be because their heart said to. I’m not worried about those guys. If they stay it’s because they love it here and they want to help us win a championship.”

Stafford set a school record with 25 passing touchdowns this past season. He threw for 3,459 yards this past season and has 7,731 yards with 51 TDs and 33 interceptions in three seasons as Georgia’s starting quarterback. He was named MVP of the Capital One Bowl last week with 250 yards and three TDs.

Moreno, a redshirt sophomore, had an even 1,400 yards rushing and 18 TDs this past season. He has 2,734 yards in two seasons as the Bulldogs’ featured tailback.

dirk digler
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Hopefully Stafford will declare

BigChiefFan
01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Yea, Stafford has no weapons, Moreno sucks, right?

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Hopefully Stafford will declare

Shit, he knows he'll at least be 3rd overall

dirk digler
01-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Shit, he knows he'll at least be 3rd overall

Though he might be afraid to be picked by the Lions at #1.

There will be an epic meltdown on this board if he decides to stay.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Though he might be afraid to be picked by the Lions at #1.

There will be an epic meltdown on this board if he decides to stay.

IMO,he'll pull an Elway/Eli if Sanchez or Bradford declares to get out of that crux.

Manila-Chief
01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
His Dad is driving to Atlanta for the news conference ... doesn't want to give it away ... but, doesn't that say he is coming out? I mean if he is announcing he will stay, why would his Dad drive half way across the country to attend?

Or, am I just wishful thinking??? We gotta have 2 of these guys come out!!!!!

And, I'm assuming it is 3:00 EST ... so, 2:00 our time????

talastan
01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I hope he comes out. I just hope that Sanchez does as well. I have doubts that Bradford will declare unless they win tomorrow night.

Chiefnj2
01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
If you were a prospect and you were likely to get drafted either 1 or 3, but neither of those teams had their coaching staffs in place yet, why wouldn't you wait until the last possible moment to declare hoping you'd know more about those teams?

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Both are expected to enter the draft.

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and running back Knowshon Moreno, who led the SEC in passing and rushing this season, respectively, are expected to announce Wednesday that they will enter April's NFL draft.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the players' decisions said Moreno was definitely leaning toward entering the NFL draft, but said Stafford had wrestled with his decision for several days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3815504

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM

yup, beat me to it

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM

If Sanchez declares Stafford is as good as ours

talastan
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
If Sanchez declares Stafford is as good as ours
Why do you think the Lions would pick Sanchez over Stafford? Just curious. I like either of them over Bradford because they both run a pro style offense. I'm just wanting to know the difference. Stafford is who the Lions would pick IMO, because he has the size, arm strength, and accuracy. Sanchez is about the same but I just wonder if the recent history with USC QB's and his injuries would bring up questions?

milkman
01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Why do you think the Lions would pick Sanchez over Stafford? Just curious. I like either of them over Bradford because they both run a pro style offense. I'm just wanting to know the difference. Stafford is who the Lions would pick IMO, because he has the size, arm strength, and accuracy. Sanchez is about the same but I just wonder if the recent history with USC QB's and his injuries would bring up questions?

Sanchez is more mature and more pro ready.

talastan
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Another question? What is the value difference of the first overall pick vs. the third overall pick and what would it take to trade up and get Stafford if we really want him..Again not really knowledgeable with draft analysis so thanks for the help in advance! :)

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Another question? What is the value difference of the first overall pick vs. the third overall pick and what would it take to trade up and get Stafford if we really want him..Again not really knowledgeable with draft analysis so thanks for the help in advance! :)

The difference between 1st and 3rd is more than a 2nd round pick.

Archie Bunker
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
In semi-related MU news....

Maclin will announce his decision Friday.
Weatherspoon was told he would be a 3rd rd pick and will return to MU.

talastan
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Thanks Rep!:clap:

FringeNC
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
After watching Sanchez the other day and hearing the comments about how he is a student of the game [sure, it could have been propaganda], I'd take him over Stafford, even though he can't match Stafford's physical skills.

Manning and Brady aren't the most physically gifted guys to ever play, but they put in the time in the film room.

Sure-Oz
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
In semi-related MU news....

Maclin will announce his decision Friday.
Weatherspoon was told he would be a 3rd rd pick and will return to MU.

Good news on Weatherspoon, i think he could use another year....as for Mac, we all know whats coming

Sure-Oz
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Sanchez or Stafford, either way 1 of them is ours if Sanchez comes out

MIAdragon
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM

To go from 3rd to first would take a swap of 1st and our 2nd and our 3rd pick. Um yea no thanks.

unothadeal
01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
He lives next to Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler? He has to be good.

arrowheadnation
01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I hope we can get Stafford.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Why do you think the Lions would pick Sanchez over Stafford?

Sanchez is more refined with his coverage reading ability/decision making, and has superior mobility.

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 10:41 AM
It's official. They're in.

Sources: Stafford, Moreno to leave Georgia for draft
By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

Thanks for the repost

ModSocks
01-07-2009, 10:46 AM
This could go down as one of the greatest off-seasons in chiefs history. I haven't been this excited since......Well i haven't been this excited.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Sanchez is more mature and more pro ready.
you should get a job as a NFL scout ... because if you can KNOW that without even talking to Sanchez face-to-face the NFL teams would pay you millions.

Brock
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Not really sure, but I think that was an opinion.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Not really sure, but I think that was an opinion.
you know that
i know that

just wonder if HE knew that :)

DeezNutz
01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
It still might happen, but with Carl gone the near certainty of a lengthy holdout leaves, too. As Matt Ryan showed, if KC picks a QB at #3, back up the Brinks truck, and I can't imagine Carl showering a noob with Peyton Manning-like money.

Significant time missed in camp would be a nasty blow to the development of a young QB.

Reerun_KC
01-07-2009, 11:33 AM
It still might happen, but with Carl gone the near certainty of a lengthy holdout leaves, too. As Matt Ryan showed, if KC picks a QB at #3, back up the Brinks truck, and I can't imagine Carl showering a noob with Peyton Manning-like money.

Significant time missed in camp would be a nasty blow to the development of a young QB.

And thankfully that QB killer HC will be gone as well... No need to totally destory a young QB...

ROYC75
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Stafford is declaring. No need to worry. You dont sit and make a press conference if your going to return. Stafford and Moreno are both declaring.

milkman
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
you know that
i know that

just wonder if HE knew that :)

JFC.

It's an opinion based on the kind of composure that Sanchez has standing in the pocket.

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 11:36 AM
sanchez looks right down the barrel of the gun and throws strikes when I have watche him

milkman
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Stafford is declaring. No need to worry. You dont sit and make a press conference if your going to return. Stafford and Moreno are both declaring.

I'm pretty sure that Matt Leinart held a press conference to announce he was staying for his senior season.

KC kid
01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that Matt Leinart held a press conference to announce he was staying for his senior season.

When did this board become a herd following the sanchez lead?

clyde05
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
i think the lions will trade down to get more picks

KC kid
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/01/07/georgia-losing-moreno-stafford/

milkman
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM

I have a feeling I'm going to regret asking this, but what the hell are you talking about?

MIAdragon
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Dude he plays for SC!?!?/:)

Mr. Laz
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
JFC.

It's an opinion based on the kind of composure that Sanchez has standing in the pocket.
untwist your panties

ROFL

milkman
01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
untwist your panties

ROFL

Dude.

You are not getting in my pants, so stop fantasizing.

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Oakland Raiders: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
What was up with the Raiders this year? One week, they look completely horrible. The next, they're debacling playoff-caliber squads like Tampa Bay. What gives?

JaMarcus Russell has been really inconsistent this year. Some may blame that on his work ethic, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and suggest that his receivers suck, while his offensive line couldn't block a couple of kids running toward an ice cream truck.

I argued Taylor Mays earlier, and he's still an option because of his 40 time and Al Davis' penchant for drafting defensive backs. Dating back to the 1998, he has gone that route six times with his first selection. Also, remember that Michael Huff has been benched this year.

kstater
01-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Never. Going. To. Happen.

In today's NFL, you have to give up entirely too much to be able to move to #1. Unless there's a can't miss, 100% HOF player, it won't happen.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2009, 12:17 PM
will the fact that Stafford and Bradford declare effect whether Sanchez declares?

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
It's official.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
It's official.

They're both coming out?

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
They're both coming out?

Yes.

ESPN News missed the first part of the presser, they were covering the Boston College presser.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Yes.

ESPN News missed the first part of the presser, they were covering the Boston College presser.

Good deal.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2009, 02:18 PM
All these guys would be dumb to NOT come out, including Sanchez, Bradford etc.

Thig Lyfe
01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Draft Moreno!!!!!!!!!!!!

bowener
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
And thankfully that QB killer HC will be gone as well... No need to totally destory a young QB...

If Herm were to stay, Stafford is big enough that Herm can run his dream offense, the Maryland 'I', where Stafford would get the chance to run with the rock 20 times a game, along with 2 other RB's carrying at least 20 times each. We may even draft Tebow in the 2nd round so that we can run with two QB's.

Of course all that depends on what he sees when he watches the tapes, whenever that could be.

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
The senior RB class is almost as weak as the senior QB class, so it's a good decision for both.

Valiant
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Which does not mean one or the other will still not go number 1..

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to regret asking this, but what the hell are you talking about?

He thinks Sanchez is a 2nd round pick at best.

DaneMcCloud
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Never. Going. To. Happen.

In today's NFL, you have to give up entirely too much to be able to move to #1. Unless there's a can't miss, 100% HOF player, it won't happen.

That's not true.

In 2004, the Giants and Chargers swapped picks. If the Chiefs really want Stafford and Lions want a QB (either Stafford or Bradford), a deal can be made.

DaneMcCloud
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
He thinks Sanchez is a 2nd round pick at best.

So I take it that KC Kid isn't a Hamas dupe, right?

No MENSA going on there.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Draft Moreno!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knowshon's gonna be pretty good in the NFL.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
So I take it that KC Kid isn't a Hamas dupe, right?

No MENSA going on there.

Yeah no MENSA for him.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Knowshon's gonna be pretty good in the NFL.

He reminds me of Priest Holmes.

beach tribe
If we get Pioli, and he gets Stafford, I will JIMP.

OnTheWarpath15
That's not true.

In 2004, the Giants and Chargers swapped picks. If the Chiefs really want Stafford and Lions want a QB (either Stafford or Bradford), a deal can be made.

And the Giants gave up WAY too much for a QB that was rated the same (6.7/8.0) as the one they drafted.

We're in no position to give up anywhere near that much.

beach tribe

Yep. Just a little faster.

BigMeatballDave
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
HellZ Yeah!!!

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
If we get Pioli, and he gets Stafford, I will JIMP.http://i40.tinypic.com/xcuk50.gif

unothadeal
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/xcuk50.gif

Yeah Canada!

beach tribe
01-07-2009, 03:06 PM
That's what I'll look like on draft day if it goes down like that.

DaneMcCloud
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
And the Giants gave up WAY too much for a QB that was rated the same (6.7/8.0) as the one they drafted.

I understand your point but that does preclude a trade such as I illustrated from 2004 from happening in 2009.

DaneMcCloud
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Is he hurt all time and unable to finish consecutive seasons?

o:-)

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I understand your point but that does preclude a trade such as I illustrated from 2004 from happening in 2009.

I think we're on the same page.

I'm not saying it COULDN'T happen - as you pointed out, it's been done before.

I'm just hoping the new GM values his draft picks more than to give up 3-4 high picks to draft ONE player.

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM

they won a superbowl

i doubt they give a crap how many picks it took...the point is not to get the most picks, the point is to win a title...they did it, the trade was an unqualified success...

Brock
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
they won a superbowl

i doubt they give a crap how many picks it took...the point is not to get the most picks, the point is to win a title...they did it, the trade was an unqualified success...

Meh, they could have done just as well with Rivers.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
they won a superbowl

Please don't tell me you're going to compare the situation the Giants were in in 2003 to the situation the Chiefs were in in 2008.

They had double the talent we have now in KC. They could afford to spend those picks on Manning and hope for the best. They already had a solid core in place.

Kansas City can't afford to give up future high picks to take one player, regardless of position.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Agreed.

Or Roethlisberger, for that matter.

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM

nothing but speculation

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Please don't tell me you're going to compare the situation the Giants were in in 2003 to the situation the Chiefs were in in 2008.

They had double the talent we have now in KC. They could afford to spend those picks on Manning and hope for the best. They already had a solid core in place.

Kansas City can't afford to give up future high picks to take one player, regardless of position.

of course they can, for QB

it's the most important position by a factor of 1000

this rebuilding is pointless until we find a QB

Brock
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
nothing but speculation

What, you dont' think Rivers is more or less equal to Eli Manning? At this point I'd say he is the superior of the two.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Moving up would require us parting with what, our #2 and #3 picks?
Just can't do it. We have too many holes to fill.
Maybe I'd consider it if I already had an extra #2 or #3.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
of course they can, for QB

it's the most important position by a factor of 1000

this rebuilding is pointless until we find a QB

Bullshit.

You can't just draft a QB and think the rest of the roster will sort out itself.

You're advocating the equivalent of us passing on the opportunity to draft Albert, Flowers and Carr last year, and giving up our Top 5 pick this year as well. (We'll likely have a Top 10 pick next year as well)

You're saying that one core player is more valuable than FOUR.

Sorry, but to a rebuilding team, EVERY piece is important.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Okay now, we need to start a rumor that Matt Stafford kicks puppies for football practice. So he'll slip to us and so Detroit picks an alternate player

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Moving up would require us parting with what, our #2 and #3 picks?
Just can't do it. We have too many holes to fill.
Maybe I'd consider it if I already had an extra #2 or #3.

At least.

And it's a moot point anyway.

If Detroit wants Stafford, they're not going to trade out of the spot with a team they know is going to take him.

And on the flip side of that, if they DON'T want him, why the fuck would we spend a ransom to trade up when our only competition for him doesn't want him?

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Bullshit.

You can't just draft a QB and think the rest of the roster will sort out itself.

You're advocating the equivalent of us passing on the opportunity to draft Albert, Flowers and Carr last year, and giving up our Top 5 pick this year as well. (We'll likely have a Top 10 pick next year as well)

You're saying that one core player is more valuable than FOUR.

Sorry, but to a rebuilding team, EVERY piece is important.

if you believe that he is QBOTF, then yes he is more important

it isn't even an argument

KC fans will never admit it though...they've been brainwashed to think it only happens for other teams...

Chiefnj2
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM

KC fans will never admit it though...they've been brainwashed to think it only happens for other teams...

The QBOTF will not be a QBOTF very long if you don't build a decent OL and running game. The QBOTF will quickly become a "bust".

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
At least.

If Detroit wants Stafford, they're not going to trade out of the spot with a team they know is going to take him.

And on the flip side of that, if they DON'T want him, why the fuck would we spend a ransom to trade up when our only competition for him doesn't want him?this post

Micjones
At least.

And on the flip side of that, if they DON'T want him, why the **** would we spend a ransom to trade up when our only competition for him doesn't want him?

Well... It's not exactly like they're going to tell us whether or not they really want him.

Pretending to want him would net them a shot at another QB whose highly touted plus an extra #2 & #3. I'd PRETEND to want him.

For the record, I'm not advocating this strategy.

OnTheWarpath15

Uh, it IS an argument.

It's only happened twice in recent memory, one time it worked (Manning/Rivers) one time it didn't. (Vick)

Most, if not ALL teams are going to shy away from making that deal.

It worked for the Giants because they had a huge part of their core already in house, and as pointed out earlier, any of the three QB's in 2004 could have won with that defense. (Much like Roethlisberger did in 2005)

DaneMcCloud
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I think we're on the same page.

I'm not saying it COULDN'T happen - as you pointed out, it's been done before.

I'm just hoping the new GM values his draft picks more than to give up 3-4 high picks to draft ONE player.

I was speaking in generalities. Not specific to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have far too many needs. The compensation would set the franchise back at least a year.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Well... It's not exactly like they're going to tell us whether or not they really want him.

Pretending to want him would net them a shot at another QB whose highly touted plus an extra #2 & #3. I'd PRETEND to want him.

For the record, I'm not advocating this strategy.

No, but word travels.

If on Draft Day 2009, we don't know what direction Detroit is going, then the organization didn't do their job, IMO.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
No, but word travels.

If on Draft Day 2009, we don't know what direction Detroit is going, then the organization didn't do their job, IMO.

I agree with that.
Besides... If they really want him he'll be signed before Draft Day anyway.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I was speaking in generalities. Not specific to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have far too many needs. The compensation would set the franchise back at least a year.

At least a year, IMO.

Imagine having Ryan, but not having Albert, Flowers and a 1st round pick this year.

BigMeatballDave
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
No, but word travels.

If on Draft Day 2009, we don't know what direction Detroit is going, then the organization didn't do their job, IMO.Seems most 1st picks are signed before they are drafted anyway.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
At least a year, IMO.

Imagine having Ryan, but not having Albert, Flowers and a 1st round pick this year.

I see your original point OTW, but it's very difficult to see that as a worse position to be in.

Coach
01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I see your original point OTW, but it's very difficult to see that as a worse position to be in.

Without a LT in Albert, Ryan would struggle.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 07:47 PM
At least a year, IMO.

KC was in a different situation too, Croyle was promising as the QBOTF and had leeway due to Allen departing. Now it's different KC has the youngest roster in the league which should bne shored up with young quality FAs. With these issues in mind if KC believes they have their guy in Stafford they might trade up or tell him to pull an Elway then KC drafts Bradford and exchanges them straight up with another 1st day pick.

58-4ever
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
KC was in a different situation too, Croyle was promising as the QBOTF and had leeway due to Allen departing. Now it's different KC has the youngest roster in the league which should bne shored up with young quality FAs. With these issues in mind if KC believes they have their guy in Stafford they might trade up or tell him to pull an Elway then KC drafts Bradford and exchanges them straight up with another 1st day pick.

A Chiefsplanet wet dream. Print 'em! :rolleyes:

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 08:39 PM
A Chiefsplanet wet dream. Print 'em! :rolleyes:

With a new regime, especially if KC lands Pioli good things could happen.

redsurfer11
01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Draft Moreno!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't thick Moreno makes it past the Jets or Chargers.Jersey Boy should be a top 10 pick this year.He will fall into a teams lap.

Sure-Oz
01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I really don't even understand why Detroit drafted Drew Stanton in the 2nd round, only to play a douche like Culpepper in front of him...

He hasn't gotten a single chance there

MahiMike
01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
My source at the gym here in GA says it's a done deal. Both will come out.

beach tribe
01-07-2009, 09:30 PM

So he has ESPN??

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2009, 09:46 PM

So he has ESPN??

Fire up the DeLorean, we're going back in time.

About 7-and-a-half hours...