PDA

View Full Version : Computers "D" is For...

gblowfish
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
"D" is for....
An Apple Customer Service Story by George Blowfish

On Monday it's my first day back to work after the holiday. I take out my trusty Macbook Pro laptop, and begin my first work day back in the office, hoping for a fairly un-eventful day.

Towards the end of the day, the "D" key on my keyboard pops off. Hmm....doesn't seem like a big deal, but this has never happened before. I pop it back on, keep typing. A few minutes later it pops off again. I can tell this isn't going to get any better. I put the computer away and go home for the evening.

"D" is for distraction:

Tuesday morning at work, the "D" key starts popping off more frequently. Won't stay in place. It becomes a real pain. Try to avoid using words with the letter "D" as I type. I can tell this isn't going to solve itself, and service is needed.

"D" is for decision:

I decide to call Apple service. I had just replaced the battery in my laptop about three weeks prior. The old battery died, the laptop was under apple care warranty, they sent a new one the overnight from the day I called, I sent the defective one back, fixed right away, no muss no fuss. Surely fixing the "D" key on the keyboard would be no problem.

"D" is for directions:

I call Apple and explain the problem. They check my serial number, confirm that this is under warranty, and say sure, easy to fix. I ask what we do next. Apple guy says, "what's your zip code?" I tell him. He gives me a couple phone numbers for authorized Apple service companies. He says "Just call these guys, should be a real easy fix."

"D" is for destination:

I call the first number for a company called Micro Center, which is just a couple miles from where I work. I tell them the problem. Service guy says 'Sure, bring it in, should be an easy fix." I ask him if I come over my lunch hour if they can fix it while I wait. "Sure, that's a easy one." I leave for lunch, take the laptop, hope to be back in business by the time I get back from lunch.

"D" is for douche bag:

I get to the service counter. "Wade," the service guy (looked like a geek in Rug Rats) listens to my explanation about the "D" key. He takes the computer into the back room. Five minutes later comes back and says "This computer is not under Apple Warranty." I say, "Yes, it is." He says, "No, it isn't. I looked up the serial number on the computer, it's not listed." I open the laptop and give him the service agreement I bought with the computer. I show him the receipt for the new laptop battery that was sent three weeks prior. I tell him Apple instructed me to come to his business for help with this problem. I explain that I called in advance before coming in for service. I explain they said they'd fix it, no problem. "Sorry, I can't touch it, this is between you and Apple."

"D" is for disappear:

I call Apple from the store. Apple tech says "Your computer is clearly under warranty." I hand the phone to the tech guy. He now believes Apple. "OK, fine," he says. He takes the computer in the back room. I stand around for about 10 minutes. He comes back out. "I can't fix this." "Why not?" I ask. "This is accidental damage. It's not covered by your Apple Care Warranty. I can't fix anything not covered by the warranty, sorry."

"D" is for destruction:

I get really pissed off. I get the store manager Brian, and explain how these service guys are jacking me around and how I now want to hurt something or somebody. Store manager says "Well, I don't get involved with service. But if my guys say its not covered, it's not covered. It's basically between you and Apple. Have a nice day."

"D" is for debate:

I get back to the office, having wasted an hour, and now am really pissed off over this little "D" key. Why is this so hard to fix? I call Apple for a THIRD time. I tell them the story. They tell me that's a terrible story. They say they'll call Micro Center, get this straightened out, and call me back. They call back about an hour later. The Apple rep (the fourth different one I've talked to now) says 'Well, they say it's accidental damage, and we can't force them to fix it. So, they won't do anything unless you pay them." I tell the Apple guy that is highly unlikely at this point. Apple guy says "Well, you have three choices. One: can ship the laptop to Apple and we'll fix it." "How long will that take?" I ask. "About two weeks," the Apple guy says.
"That's too long, I use this every day at work" I say. "Well, you can take it to your local Apple Store, or you can call another authorized service company in your area if Micro Center won't help you." "OK," I say. Now it's 5pm, the day is over, and I'm still pissed off.

"D" is for demoralized:

Wednesday morning I had to go into the city to pick up some equipment for one of my customers. The place I had to go was a few miles from the Plaza in KC, where the Apple Store is. It's right at 9am. I find the Apple Store and walk in with my laptop. "Hello, do you have an appointment?" the orange IPod T-shirt wearing, lanyard bedecked Apple geek asks me. "No, Apple told me to come here to get a "D" key stuck back on my keyboard" I said. "You MUST have an appointment for service" says the geek. "OK, when can you look at it?" I ask. "Week from Thursday" the geek says.

"D" is for desperate:

I leave, defeated again in my search for the simple "D" key. I call the final number Apple gave me for a company called Tek Solutions, another Apple authorized repair center. They give me Jim. "Hi Jim, can you stick a "D" key back on my laptop keyboard?"

"Sure."

"That's it? Just...... Sure??"

"Yep. Bring it on over."

"Where are you?"

"Take I-35 to the Roe Exit, go right, then break left, go back under the freeway, look for the building supply company on the left. That's not us. We're in building "R" in the industrial park right behind it. Just turn left then jog around to the right and look for the building that doesn't say anything on the front. You can't miss it."

"I'm on my way, says I."

"D" is for driving:

Thirty minutes later, and after an interesting tour of the most wretched part of KCK, I find the place. Walk in, expecting the worst. Nice secretary lady with two wiener dogs sniffing my feet. "I'm here to see Jim."

"Are you George?"

"Yes. Yes I am."

Jim comes up and says "Follow me." He puts the laptop on the workbench. Punches the "D" key three or four times. Takes it off the keyboard and looks at it. Peels a "D" key off an old keyboard from below the workbench. Pops it on. Punches it three or four times. It stays stuck perfectly.

"Problem solved" says Jim.

"What do I owe you?"

"Nothing."

"D" is for deliverance:

So, the end of the story is, this little hole in the wall company did exactly what I needed done. They did it when they said they would, didn't hassle me, were friendly, and made me feel like I had overcome polio. I was thrilled beyond measure.

The "D" key works, HALLELUJAH!!!

I asked Tek Solutions for a business card. And believe me, I will recommend them to ANY Mac user I come across that needs to have a repair done. Micro Center...well, I will never ever ever EVER buy anything from them, and will tell as many people as possible about my customer service experience with them. Nothing is worse than bad service from a company that specializes in "factory authorized service."

"D" is for done:

I typed this whole diatribe, and letter "d" didn't come loose from my keyboard once!

http://www.teksolutions.com

MIAdragon
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
"D" is for Damn long read but funny!

Hammock Parties
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
D is for dumbass.

Deberg_1990
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
A is for "Abridged version please"

Bugeater
01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
A is for "Abridged version please"

D is for "Don't ever buy a service plan because the manufacturer will do whatever they can to get out of honoring it".

Gonzo
01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
What a bunch of Dicks

Stanley Nickels
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Protip: Next time you're at the Apple Store, don't let them tell you to leave and make an appointment. Stay there, tell them you want a standby, because your "D" key is a simple fix.

(PS If it would've been replaced-- the whole keyboard-- it's called a "topcase" and it takes about half an hour)

Taco John
01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
D is for Don't buy an Apple.

mikey23545
01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
D is for dumbass.

No, it's for dickeater, you little worthless Gretz-wannabe.

Stanley Nickels
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Protip (pt Deaux): Don't go to Micro Center. They always have, and always will, suck.

They're a step above Geek Squad, if that.

Gonzo
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM

You are quite the negative nancy today. Sand in the Vage?

Gonzo
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
"D" is for....

On Monday it's my first day back to work after the holiday. I take out my trusty Macbook Pro laptop, and begin my first work day back in the office, hoping for a fairly un-eventful day.

Towards the end of the day, the "D" key on my keyboard pops off. Hmm....doesn't seem like a big deal, but this has never happened before. I pop it back on, keep typing. A few minutes later it pops off again. I can tell this isn't going to get any better. I put the computer away and go home for the evening.

"D" is for distraction:

Tuesday morning at work, the "D" key starts popping off more frequently. Won't stay in place. It becomes a real pain. Try to avoid using words with the letter "D" as I type. I can tell this isn't going to solve itself, and service is needed.

"D" is for decision:

I decide to call Apple service. I had just replaced the battery in my laptop about three weeks prior. The old battery died, the laptop was under apple care warranty, they sent a new one the overnight from the day I called, I sent the defective one back, fixed right away, no muss no fuss. Surely fixing the "D" key on the keyboard would be no problem.

"D" is for directions:

I call Apple and explain the problem. They check my serial number, confirm that this is under warranty, and say sure, easy to fix. I ask what we do next. Apple guy says, "what's your zip code?" I tell him. He gives me a couple phone numbers for authorized Apple service companies. He says "Just call these guys, should be a real easy fix."

"D" is for destination:

I call the first number for a company called Micro Center, which is just a couple miles from where I work. I tell them the problem. Service guy says 'Sure, bring it in, should be an easy fix." I ask him if I come over my lunch hour if they can fix it while I wait. "Sure, that's a easy one." I leave for lunch, take the laptop, hope to be back in business by the time I get back from lunch.

"D" is for douche bag:

I get to the service counter. "Wade," the service guy (looked like a geek in Rug Rats) listens to my explanation about the "D" key. He takes the computer into the back room. Five minutes later comes back and says "This computer is not under Apple Warranty." I say, "Yes, it is." He says, "No, it isn't. I looked up the serial number on the computer, it's not listed." I open the laptop and give him the service agreement I bought with the computer. I show him the receipt for the new laptop battery that was sent three weeks prior. I tell him Apple instructed me to come to his business for help with this problem. I explain that I called in advance before coming in for service. I explain they said they'd fix it, no problem. "Sorry, I can't touch it, this is between you and Apple."

"D" is for disappear:

I call Apple from the store. Apple tech says "Your computer is clearly under warranty." I hand the phone to the tech guy. He now believes Apple. "OK, fine," he says. He takes the computer in the back room. I stand around for about 10 minutes. He comes back out. "I can't fix this." "Why not?" I ask. "This is accidental damage. It's not covered by your Apple Care Warranty. I can't fix anything not covered by the warranty, sorry."

"D" is for destruction:

I get really pissed off. I get the store manager Brian, and explain how these service guys are jacking me around and how I now want to hurt something or somebody. Store manager says "Well, I don't get involved with service. But if my guys say its not covered, it's not covered. It's basically between you and Apple. Have a nice day."

"D" is for debate:

I get back to the office, having wasted an hour, and now am really pissed off over this little "D" key. Why is this so hard to fix? I call Apple for a THIRD time. I tell them the story. They tell me that's a terrible story. They say they'll call Micro Center, get this straightened out, and call me back. They call back about an hour later. The Apple rep (the fourth different one I've talked to now) says 'Well, they say it's accidental damage, and we can't force them to fix it. So, they won't do anything unless you pay them." I tell the Apple guy that is highly unlikely at this point. Apple guy says "Well, you have three choices. One: can ship the laptop to Apple and we'll fix it." "How long will that take?" I ask. "About two weeks," the Apple guy says.
"That's too long, I use this every day at work" I say. "Well, you can take it to your local Apple Store, or you can call another authorized service company in your area if Micro Center won't help you." "OK," I say. Now it's 5pm, the day is over, and I'm still pissed off.

"D" is for demoralized:

Wednesday morning I had to go into the city to pick up some equipment for one of my customers. The place I had to go was a few miles from the Plaza in KC, where the Apple Store is. It's right at 9am. I find the Apple Store and walk in with my laptop. "Hello, do you have an appointment?" the orange IPod T-shirt wearing, lanyard bedecked Apple geek asks me. "No, Apple told me to come here to get a "D" key stuck back on my keyboard" I said. "You MUST have an appointment for service" says the geek. "OK, when can you look at it?" I ask. "Week from Thursday" the geek says.

"D" is for desperate:

I leave, defeated again in my search for the simple "D" key. I call the final number Apple gave me for a company called Tek Solutions, another Apple authorized repair center. They give me Jim. "Hi Jim, can you stick a "D" key back on my laptop keyboard?"

"Sure."

"Yep. Bring it on over."

"Where are you?"

"Take I-35 to the Roe Exit, go right, then break left, go back under the freeway, look for the building supply company on the left. That's not us. We're in building "R" in the industrial park right behind it. Just turn left then jog around to the right and look for the building that doesn't say anything on the front. You can't miss it."

"I'm on my way, says I."

"D" is for driving:

Thirty minutes later, and after an interesting tour of the most wretched part of KCK, I find the place. Walk in, expecting the worst. Nice secretary lady with two wiener dogs sniffing my feet. "I'm here to see Jim."

"Are you George?"

"Yes. Yes I am."

Jim comes up and says "Follow me." He puts the laptop on the workbench. Punches the "D" key three or four times. Takes it off the keyboard and looks at it. Peels a "D" key off an old keyboard from below the workbench. Pops it on. Punches it three or four times. It stays stuck perfectly.

"What do I owe you?"

"Nothing."

"D" is for deliverance:

So, the end of the story is, this little hole in the wall company did exactly what I needed done. They did it when they said they would, didn't hassle me, were friendly, and made me feel like I had overcome polio. I was thrilled beyond measure.

I asked Tek Solutions for a business card. And believe me, I will recommend them to ANY Mac user I come across that needs to have a repair done. Micro Center...well, I will never ever ever EVER buy anything from them, and will tell as many people as possible about my customer service experience with them. Nothing is worse than bad service from a company that specializes in "factory authorized service."

"D" is for done:

I typed this whole diatribe, and letter "d" didn't come loose from my keyboard once!

By the way, this was written quite well. I thought it was a very lovely story.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nSuNF8690s8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nSuNF8690s8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
i always get that feeling when something seemingly easy breaks. Some of the simple things suck the hardest

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
"D" is for....

"D" is for distraction:

"D" is for decision:

"D" is for directions:

"D" is for destination:

"D" is for douche bag:

"D" is for disappear:

"D" is for destruction:

"D" is for debate:

"D" is for demoralized:

"D" is for desperate:

"Sure."

"Yep. Bring it on over."

"Where are you?"

"I'm on my way, says I."

"D" is for driving:

"Are you George?"

"Yes. Yes I am."

"What do I owe you?"

"Nothing."

"D" is for deliverance:

"D" is for done:

they should have fixed it correctly the first time

crazycoffey
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I almost went to work for Teksystems as a recruiter when I first moved to St. Louis, also had a friend that worked for them in Dallas, never heard anything overly good or bad about them before this. Good story.

I hate the way customer service has gotten. Once a few years ago I walked into a dentist office and asked if they could see me that day, had a chipped tooth. receptionist said, "sorry, we can only make an appointment by the phone." Ok I say, and I took a card to walk away. I then called the number and she answered, took an appointment for that day in thirty minutes. I said I'd take it and walked back up to her at the desk as I was giving her my name. She looked like she wanted to kill me.

crazycoffey
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
oh and another good customer service story;
At Jack in the box around 4 am, new years day. My GF and I just finished working the new years party at her work (I was thrown in by the manager as they were getting slammed) Anyway, we're tired, hungry and I just finished working essentially 20 hours.

As we get to the microphone they say, "we have to go off line for approx. 10 minutes while our computers re-adjust for the new day and new year."

"No problem", we say back.

35 minutes later (we talked the whole time and had a few cigs, it went by pretty fast and at this point it was becoming a matter of principal.) they take our order. We stay nice, pay them, check to see if everythings right, it isn't. We politely ask for what we ordered and get it, before I;

start to eat my food and sit right in the drivethrough window! The cashier goes, "what can we do for you now?" in a rather perturbed voice.

I say, "Nothing, we're good. But the computer that runs my car's engine is resetting and it'll be about 10 minutes before we can leave."

Hammock Parties
01-07-2009, 12:19 PM
You are quite the negative nancy today. Sand in the Vage?

No, he's always negative. He loves ripping on me for some strange reason. Thinks I'm DCS.

I still love him.

Frazod
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Couldn't you have just glued it on?

MIAdragon
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM

ROFL

milkman
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
How did I know that a "D is for" story written by a Kansas Citian wasn't about defense?

Good story George.

Simply Red
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
IBM

Lzen
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
"D" is for Damn POS Apple.

j/k Great story.

Fish
01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Micro Center does reserve the right to make the decision on whether an issue is accidental damage or not. But that's a very gray area where Apple is concerned. They were obviously just being dicks about it in this case. They would make very little money from Apple reimbursement fixing something like this, and it's easier and more profitable for them to be dicks about it and make you overpay when you shouldn't have to pay anything.

For an Apple Authorized Service Provider, they do the repairs and send the bad parts back to Apple, and Apple reimburses them for the repair work. Reimbursement varies a lot depending on how difficult the process is, and how much the part is worth. Being an AASP, I can tell you that Apple will accept just about anything that would normally be viewed as "accidental damage", as long as it's repaired correctly and the machine you repaired doesn't show up again for warranty work on the same thing. Especially with "throw away" parts like keyboards, fans, and such. Obviously you can't run over your Macbook with a dumptruck and expect it to be fixed for free. But I've repaired some Macs that were very evidently broken due to user stupidity, and Apple has never said a thing when I returned the broken parts that should have been considered accidental damage. It's a very gray area.

chasedude
01-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Ruthless and vicious, he'll stomp on your face
Deadly, malicious, stay outta his space
He'll rip your eyes out, dont you look the wrong way
And once you meet him, there's no time to pray

He'll rip your heart out, make you eat your own lips
He'll crack your elbows, and crush fingertips

HE'LL MAKE YOU WISH THAT YOU DIDN'T EXIST
Cause Sargent D is coming, and you're on his list!

Don't know why this thread made me think of an old SOD song. ;)

Cool story though, glad it had a happy ending.
</pre>

gblowfish
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Micro Center does reserve the right to make the decision on whether an issue is accidental damage or not. But that's a very gray area where Apple is concerned. They were obviously just being dicks about it in this case. They would make very little money from Apple reimbursement fixing something like this, and it's easier and more profitable for them to be dicks about it and make you overpay when you shouldn't have to pay anything.

For an Apple Authorized Service Provider, they do the repairs and send the bad parts back to Apple, and Apple reimburses them for the repair work. Reimbursement varies a lot depending on how difficult the process is, and how much the part is worth. Being an AASP, I can tell you that Apple will accept just about anything that would normally be viewed as "accidental damage", as long as it's repaired correctly and the machine you repaired doesn't show up again for warranty work on the same thing. Especially with "throw away" parts like keyboards, fans, and such. Obviously you can't run over your Macbook with a dumptruck and expect it to be fixed for free. But I've repaired some Macs that were very evidently broken due to user stupidity, and Apple has never said a thing when I returned the broken parts that should have been considered accidental damage. It's a very gray area.

I had the same feeling. Micro Center would rather piss me off than push the paper to fix a $1 part on a lowly keyboard. I'm hoping my story will cost them dearly, especially after they had told me on the phone to "come on in, it's easy to fix."

I've been in customer service for 25 years. Little things like this can lead to big things, good and bad, depending on how you handle it.

Iowanian
01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
D is for "Dude, You should have gotten a DELL"

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/consuminginterests/blog/Steve_Dell_Ad.jpg

Iowanian
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
The micro center guys have been circulating this photo they took of our good friend GB as he left the final time.

http://craziestgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/apple-spanking-paddle-450x299.jpg

Gonzo
01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
IBM

Yeah because their tech support guys are so much better...

My dad bought a dell for x-mas, he tried calling them several times for set up assistance and he was either talking to Apu in India or Maria in Tijuana while she was milking her goat pepe.

EyePod
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
"D" is for....

This is why I use a desktop and non-Macs.

Fish
01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
This is why I use a desktop and non-Macs.

So remind me which "desktop and non-Mac" manufacturer never has customer service problems?

Apple has become one of the best in direct customer service in the last few years.

Iowanian
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
In fairness.....a while back both of my dells died within a day, one a hard drive.

I was pleased with the support on my laptop issue, but the HD issue, I would have taken an axe to that guy.

I blew up bad enough after the 4th hour, that they had a Manager call me back later. I was very, very patient and then at the end of it, they wouldn't let me keep my old HD long enough to try to recover the data.

I let Apu have it with both barrels.

teedubya
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
G Blowfish is getting some compliments and some grumblings from the item I posted on Twitter.

@kwegner That story was SO well written. Micro Center is the most outdated looking geek business in the history of man.