PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli Backup Plans: Casserly and Kokinis

nychief
01-08-2009, 05:00 PM
According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi, the Chiefs have Charley Casserly and George Kokinis lined up if Pats VP of Player Personnel Scott Pioli turns down the GM job.
Kokinis is also drawing interest in Cleveland, where he is thought to be Eric Mangini's choice for GM duties. Casserly has been working in television since his bold move to draft Mario Williams for the Texans in 2006. Jan. 8 - 5:40 pm et

Sam Hall
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Eric DeCosta or Chris Polian, please.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2009, 05:04 PM
More speculation.

Ultra Peanut
01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Casserlol

RustShack
01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
The list just keeps getting worse and worse :doh!:

Pasta Little Brioni
01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow, if they go to Casserly that would be just brutal.

Mecca
01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
If we hire Casserly that would be very disappointing.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Dear God.

THINK guys.

Clark has said on several occasions that he wants someone YOUNG.

The guy is 60 fucking years old.

Clark is playing things close to the vest, and the media is throwing out whatever they can to make it look like they are getting info.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Lot more stuff will be known after this weekend. Either Pittsburgh or San Diego will be done and maybe Baltimore. More guys will be able to interview and this stuff will get done.

RustShack
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Dear God.

THINK guys.

The guy is 60 fucking years old.

Clark is playing things close to the vest, and the media is throwing out whatever they can to make it look like they are getting info.

Is this a repost?

jjchieffan
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi, the Chiefs have Charley Casserly and George Kokinis lined up if Pats VP of Player Personnel Scott Pioli turns down the GM job.
Kokinis is also drawing interest in Cleveland, where he is thought to be Eric Mangini's choice for GM duties. Casserly has been working in television since his bold move to draft Mario Williams for the Texans in 2006. Jan. 8 - 5:40 pm et

So now, not only is the coach being hired before the GM, but the coach also gets to pick his new boss? No wonder Cleveland is always bad. They are turning the whole process into a circus.ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Is this a repost?

From another thread, yes.

I might post it in the Ladies of Food Network thread, just for shits and giggles.

Mecca
01-08-2009, 05:15 PM
So now, not only is the coach being hired before the GM, but the coach also gets to pick his new boss? No wonder Cleveland is always bad. They are turning the whole process into a circus.ROFL

Their not the only team that does that.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Casserly did a very good job of assembling talent in Houston. He was beaten to death for the Schaub deal and the Williams pick, both were fantastic in hindsight. Additionally, Andre Johnson is a top 3 WR and he drafted a 2nd round MLB that ended up as a ROY. The dude can spot talent, he just didn't get enough time to build his club up there.

Much like Savage, he wouldn't be my first choice. However, I wouldn't throw him under the bus before giving him a shot, he's shown an eye in the past.

Mecca
01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Casserly did a very good job of assembling talent in Houston. He was beaten to death for the Schaub deal and the Williams pick, both were fantastic in hindsight. Additionally, Andre Johnson is a top 3 WR and he drafted a 2nd round MLB that ended up as a ROY. The dude can spot talent, he just didn't get enough time to build his club up there.

Much like Savage, he wouldn't be my first choice. However, I wouldn't throw him under the bus before giving him a shot, he's shown an eye in the past.

I give him 50/50, he drafted David Carr and never put any lineman in front of him, he was fine when it came to picking guys like Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson but he just never invested picks in either of their lines until the end of his stay there.

FloridaMan88
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Chris Polian should be plan B if Pioli turns the Chiefs down

jjchieffan
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Who else has done that?

noa
01-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Casserly was gone by the time they signed Jordan Black right?

Mecca
01-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Who else has done that?

Denver is looking for a coach before a GM also...and in Pittsburgh the HC has as much say over personnel as the GM does it's been that way since Cowher.

MGRS13
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM

I still say I like Polian but I think he is the most likly to keep Herm...........so what I'm saying is sign the fricken contract Scott.

the Talking Can
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
and after hiring Casserly we can hire June Jones to be our HC...

The Bad Guy
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Mike Lombardi is full of shit.

MahiMike
01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Dear God.

THINK guys.

The guy is 60 ****ing years old.

Exactly! Only thing he brings to the table is his connections in the industry. Pass.

The Franchise
01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Eric DeCosta or Chris Polian, please.

This.

milkman
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I give him 50/50, he drafted David Carr and never put any lineman in front of him, he was fine when it came to picking guys like Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson but he just never invested picks in either of their lines until the end of his stay there.

That line wasn't nearly as bad as David Carr made them look.

chief52
01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Mike Lombardi is full of shit.

I'm with Bad Guy on this one.

Mecca
01-08-2009, 07:41 PM

I agree with you to an extent but at the same time they just never invested picks in lineman.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Nobody's perfect.

However, I'd absolutely take his draft record over Pioli's. That's not to say he's better that SP, his FA signings were pretty abysmal and his coaching staff decisions were questionable (though Pioli's may be as well, too soon to tell).

However, he has his strengths and would probably be an average to slightly above average GM for us. I wouldn't have a party, but I wouldn't burn the stadium down either.

TEX
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Charley Casserly BLOWS WORSE than CP did. He was terrible for the TEXANS. The Chies under CP actually drafted better. His trades were just as bad. Man, that would SUCK if he becomes the new GM. :shake:

TEX
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Wanna bet? They were both hideous...:eek:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
It's not true. The Pioli deal is pretty much in place according to this source.

This just in.

Originally Posted by Random poster on a message board
Okay gang, as many of you know I still have friends at the highest level in the Chiefs organization and have this info to share with full confidence: Scott Pioli is the new GM. His announcement will come Thursday or Friday at the latest. Clark and Scott are working out the finer points of his contract tonight, but the deal is sealed. Also, Clark informed Herm Edwards and his coaching staff that they will be released. All assistants can reapply through Scott.

I only share this information because I'm no longer with the team and it's fun to share that a new day is dawning at Arrowhead. Scott Pioli will quickly move to clean out the front office and hire a new coach.

The only info I have on the new coach is it will not be Kirk Ferentz from the Iowa Hawkeyes. Kirk coaches his son at Iowa and does not want to leave until his son graduates.

Mike Shanahan has contacted Pioli, but I don't know any info beyond that.

unothadeal
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Breaking News! Thanks Thunder!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Casserly was right picking Williams over Bush.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
This constant reposting of this bullshit post has definitely jumped the shark.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
If I really thought this had any weight whatsoever I'd freak out. But it doesn't, so I'll just lawl at the thought of Charley Casserly.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Charley Casserly BLOWS WORSE than CP did. He was terrible for the TEXANS. The Chies under CP actually drafted better.

This is just wrong.

It's hard to debate a point that is akin to "water is dry."

Dunta Robinson, DeMeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, Mario Williams, Andre Johnson, Eric Winston, Glenn Earl, etc...

The dude can draft. He can't sign FA's and his trade record is hit/miss, but he can spot talent.

beach tribe
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM
From another thread, yes.

I might post it in the Ladies of Food Network thread, just for shits and giggles.

You, my friend, seem to be dead on these days.

beach tribe
01-08-2009, 11:39 PM

They're not?

beach tribe
01-08-2009, 11:40 PM

Yeah, I think it has it's place.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM

You probably should steer clear of the Pioli thread, then.

There might have been 30 posts in a row posting that stupid e-mail.

FloridaMan88
01-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Casserly was right picking Williams over Bush.

Casserly was only in a position to be right on another #1 overall pick because of the fact he was so wrong with Houston's first #1 overall pick... David Carr.