PDA

View Full Version : KU KU Football closing talent gap

Lzen
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/jan/08/football-closing-talent-gap/?football

Thursday, January 8, 2009 (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/jan/8/)
http://media.lawrence.com/img/staff/2008/keegan_mug_r42x50.jpg?3913731fb126281141001f4d5e1a4892028de933 Keegan

Football closing talent gap

By Tom Keegan (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/tom_keegan/)

http://media.lawrence.com/img/croppedphotos/2008/12/31/Mangino_t650.jpg?eec9ecda5f66de59a37bbdb23c6f48523261b548 (http://www2.kusports.com/photos/2008/dec/30/161391/)
Photo by Nick Krug (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/nick_krug/)
Kansas head football coach Mark Mangino speaks during a press conference Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2008 at the Camelback Inn in Scotsdale, Arizona.

Quietly, football coach Mark Mangino and his fleet of hard-working assistants are assembling a recruiting class that could enable Kansas University to shrink the talent disadvantage against the trio of Big 12 South teams Mangino hasn’t yet beaten.
Skeptical? Need some hard evidence? OK, a quick check with Jon Kirby of Rivals.com led to a startling piece of information. Three of the Rivals.com/Dallas Morning News Top 20 players in the Dallas area have made nonbinding oral commitments to Kansas, a figure that matches Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

As far as elite recruits are concerned, Kansas finally has become one of the pretty girls in the room. Recruits are checking out Kansas and liking what they see.
Prinz Kande, a safety from Euless ranked No. 35 in the state of Texas by Rivals.com and recruited by Clint Bowen, turned down a scholarship offer from Wisconsin to say yes to Kansas. Toben Opurum, a 225-pound running back from Plano ranked No. 45 in the state, had offers from Florida, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Purdue and Texas Tech and said yes to David Beaty, KU’s receivers coach and a former high school football coach from Texas who’s having a terrific recruiting season. Dexter Linton, a safety from Arlington ranked No. 48 in Texas, said yes to Beaty, which meant he had to say no to Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Texas Tech and Wisconsin, among others.
Bowen scored an athletic defensive end, maybe as good a speed rusher as KU has had since Charlton Keith. Quintin Woods, who signed with Michigan out of high school before enrolling in Bakersfield Community College, is a 6-foot-6, 245-pound quarterback-chaser.
To hear Kirby tell it, Kansas isn’t done landing heavyweights. (Signing day is Feb. 4).
“In the past, it always seemed like Kansas rounded out its class with some sleepers,” said Kirby, who has been tracking Kansas football recruiting for 10 years. “I’m not saying they weren’t solid. They were. Now, they started strong, the middle’s been strong, and the guys still on the board that they have a chance with are as strong or stronger than what they started with.”
Two exciting names still in play for Kansas: 1. Ronnie Wingo, a 6-foot-3, 212-pound running back from St. Louis, expected a visit Wednesday night from KU offensive coordinator Ed Warinner, according to Rivals.com. Wingo is the nation’s No. 74 prospect; 2. DeQuin Evans, a 6-foot-2, 275-pound defensive end from Los Angeles Harbor Community College.
Kirby said recruits consistently marvel at the new football facilities, built thanks to the fundraising skills of John Hadl of the Williams Fund and athletic director Lew Perkins, and the generosity of KU alumni Tom Kivisto, Dana Anderson and others.
“There’s no doubt there is a big difference in the perception of the program,” Kirby said. “A few things play into that. No. 1, stability. Mangino’s the defending National Coach of the Year. They’ve won three bowl games in the past four years. The increased attendance. And the facilities. It’s a whole different ballgame than it was even three, four years ago. They’re getting a different kind of athlete.”
Once they get here, Mangino and his staff will make them improve at a faster rate than most staffs.

teedubya
01-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Fuck yeah! This is awesome news! Woo hoo

sedated
01-09-2009, 01:16 PM
if nothing else, this article gave me a little woody

Stewie
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Once they get here, Mangino and his staff will make them improve at a faster rate than most staffs.

Bingo! The kids and their coaches (and parents) know it.

Lzen
01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Let me say that I am under no illusions that KU will ever be able to compete with the power house programs for recruits. But we should be able to steal one from under them once in awhile if this keeps up. The recruiting has gotten a lot better since Mangino took over. Every year seems to be better.

Mr. Plow
01-09-2009, 01:21 PM
SCHWING!

Thig Lyfe
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
TO DA SHIP!!!

teedubya
01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I think we underestimate the badassness of the new football facility... the players LOVE it... feels like family.

We are gonna win a NC in the next 7 years, I bet... or at least play in one.

Lzen
01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I think we underestimate the badassness of the new football facility... the players LOVE it... feels like family.

I don't know that I'm ready to make that kind of leap of faith. But it is nice to dream. :)

Titty Meat
01-09-2009, 02:01 PM

That's bullshit Ku gets out recruited in it's own state by Nebraska.

Thig Lyfe
01-09-2009, 02:01 PM
That's bullshit Ku gets out recruited in it's own state by Nebraska.

stfu NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duncan_idaho
01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Mangino is doing a solid job recruiting, but there is a HUGE difference between the No. 30 class in the country and and top 10 classes (which Texas, OU hit every year). Hell, there's a huge difference between a top 25 class and a top 10 class.

Just like there's a big gap between a rivals 100 recruit, in terms of potential and success rate, and a normal four-star guy (who is in the 250-300 range).

Not that impressed with the writer's approach (does he write for a ku pub or a public newspaper/etc?). I think this guy is setting the JUCO DE up for a fall... Calling a JUCO "the best rusher they have had" since an all-conference guy is just building expectations to an unfair level, I think, to the kid and the fans. And he WAY oversells their shot at Ronnie Wingo, which is about one-two percent. Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois are WAY out in front. No mention of the back-to-back five stars ku hasn't got a sniff from, either...

HolyHandgernade
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
If KU wins the North and makes a competitive stab at the conference crown next year, then, as "the schedule turns", we might have a stab at being in the championship talk. I'm under no illusions that Texas will be heavily favored, and I think their competition will come from OSU as opposed to OU or T-Tech. But, if we can win the North, and at least make the championship game, a, eh, game, we might get enough good recruits when the South heavyweights drop off our schedule. If the South happens to be a bit down in one of those seasons, then a Big XII crown and MNC talk might be warranted. But that is best case scenario.

Unfortunately, we have two things constantly working against us, history and location. That's why I think next year is the critical year for Mangino and Kansas football. Lots of teams take the sideways or step back following a "magical year". But, if he can follow up Orange Bowl win-Insight Bowl win with a Big XII North championship and a good showing in the title game, KU may make that turn into a consistently good team that might have a shot every decade or so. We're never going to be Florida-Ohio St.-USC-Michigan-OU-Texas good, but we should be shooting for West Virginia-Virginia Tech-Michigan St.-Oregon type of good. If we get to that level, we'll be beyond what I ever hoped to achieve when I attended KU.

That facility upgrade was key, I've heard glowing reports about that. Add in upgrades to Jayhawk Towers for the athletes, and we could move into the upper-middle class of college football. I would just appreciate not being the doormat of the doormat division! :)

-HH

Titty Meat
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
KU isn't going to win the North next year.

KChiefs1
If KU doesn't win the Big 12 North next year, they never will.

cmh6476
How about the NCAA just get with the program, and implement an 8 or 16 team playoff. Then KU would have a realistic shot at getting into that, and from there anything could happen.

sedated
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I think this guy is setting the JUCO DE up for a fall... Calling a JUCO "the best rusher they have had" since an all-conference guy is just building expectations to an unfair level

the all-conference guy that he referenced was also a JUCO DE (C. Keith)

Rooster
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Way to go out on a limb there scooter.

HolyHandgernade
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Mangino is doing a solid job recruiting, but there is a HUGE difference between the No. 30 class in the country and and top 10 classes (which Texas, OU hit every year). Hell, there's a huge difference between a top 25 class and a top 10 class.

Just like there's a big gap between a rivals 100 recruit, in terms of potential and success rate, and a normal four-star guy (who is in the 250-300 range).

Not that impressed with the writer's approach (does he write for a ku pub or a public newspaper/etc?). I think this guy is setting the JUCO DE up for a fall... Calling a JUCO "the best rusher they have had" since an all-conference guy is just building expectations to an unfair level, I think, to the kid and the fans. And he WAY oversells their shot at Ronnie Wingo, which is about one-two percent. Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois are WAY out in front. No mention of the back-to-back five stars ku hasn't got a sniff from, either...

While I agree recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, there's so much more involved. Perception in recruiting changes with sustained excellence. If Mangino puts together a high quality season this year with another Bowl win, recruits will begin to look more closely at playing style and player development. Players will start to realize if he can make 3* and 2* players into competitive DI players, they might flourish more despite their 4 and 5* ratings. This is because they won't have to sit behind other 4 and 5* recruits longer than they would at one of the elite schools.

USC is beginning to experience some of this. They virtually have their pick of all the west coast 4 and 5* athletes, then get stuck on a star studded depth chart, so they transfer later. Most 4 and 5* athletes continue to pick those schools because they believe in their talent, only to find out how slim the margin can be. With recruiting services getting bigger and their information getting more widely disseminated, recruits are beginning to look where they might star for 2 or 3 years than waiting their turn as a senior.

Now, the elite schools will always be elite, but, I think recruits are getting a bit more savvy about their considerations. The Matt Cassel stories are out there, but they are not the norm, you generally have to be seen in order to be on someone's radar.

-HH

Titty Meat
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Way to go out on a limb there scooter.

It's laughable just because they had 1 good year and someone from KU Sports writes a fluff article. I wonder if KU sports hires writers from the school newspaper because the KU Newspaper makes the Pitch writers look good.

teedubya
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
3 out of 4 good years. Cornhumper douche.

Fuck Nebraska... that state could be nuked and I wouldn't drop a tear. Eat a barrel of dicks, billay.

sedated
01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
the KU Newspaper makes the Pitch writers look good.

:rolleyes: good point there, ace.

I wonder if that's because the Kansan is run by students (who also have to worry about 4 other classes and possibly a job).

Last time I checked, publications like the Pitch paid their employees.

HolyHandgernade
01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
It's laughable just because they had 1 good year and someone from KU Sports writes a fluff article. I wonder if KU sports hires writers from the school newspaper because the KU Newspaper makes the Pitch writers look good.

You know what's laughable, its people who take the favorable odds and then make some bold prediction with those odds. We've had two good years, three in the last four, our coach won national honors, we have brand new facilities, and one of our best recruiting classes ever this past season. No reason on why they won't win the North, just stating agreement with odds. You know, kinda like saying Texas/OU will not win the national championship at the beginning of this season. Why not say it, with all the good teams out there, odds are you will probably be right. Love geniuses who can pick the negatives, I think that's what he meant by saying "way to stick your neck out there".

-HH

ChiTown
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Now, I have heard it all. lmfao

Rooster
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM

If you Google Cornhumper , the first image is this... ROFLROFLROFL

duncan_idaho
01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
If KU wins the North and makes a competitive stab at the conference crown next year, then, as "the schedule turns", we might have a stab at being in the championship talk. I'm under no illusions that Texas will be heavily favored, and I think their competition will come from OSU as opposed to OU or T-Tech. But, if we can win the North, and at least make the championship game, a, eh, game, we might get enough good recruits when the South heavyweights drop off our schedule. If the South happens to be a bit down in one of those seasons, then a Big XII crown and MNC talk might be warranted. But that is best case scenario.

Unfortunately, we have two things constantly working against us, history and location. That's why I think next year is the critical year for Mangino and Kansas football. Lots of teams take the sideways or step back following a "magical year". But, if he can follow up Orange Bowl win-Insight Bowl win with a Big XII North championship and a good showing in the title game, KU may make that turn into a consistently good team that might have a shot every decade or so. We're never going to be Florida-Ohio St.-USC-Michigan-OU-Texas good, but we should be shooting for West Virginia-Virginia Tech-Michigan St.-Oregon type of good. If we get to that level, we'll be beyond what I ever hoped to achieve when I attended KU.

That facility upgrade was key, I've heard glowing reports about that. Add in upgrades to Jayhawk Towers for the athletes, and we could move into the upper-middle class of college football. I would just appreciate not being the doormat of the doormat division! :)

-HH

Those are the same goals Missouri has. I think kansas has a more difficult road to hoe, as it has less in-state talent and more competition for those kids, but Mangino and company have found pretty good success with tier-two kids in Texas and Oklahoma ... as long as that continues, ku should be pretty solid.

Will be interesting for them in 2010, for sure. Reesing's scrambling playmaking can really cover for the OL when it is overmatched.

duncan_idaho
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
the all-conference guy that he referenced was also a JUCO DE (C. Keith)

Yeah, just saying its not fair to the kid or the fans to set those expectations two weeks after he verbally commits to ku. At least give him a chance to get to campus and hit fall camp before making that comparison...

HolyHandgernade
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Those are the same goals Missouri has. I think kansas has a more difficult road to hoe, as it has less in-state talent and more competition for those kids, but Mangino and company have found pretty good success with tier-two kids in Texas and Oklahoma ... as long as that continues, ku should be pretty solid.

Will be interesting for them in 2010, for sure. Reesing's scrambling playmaking can really cover for the OL when it is overmatched.

I agree, our in state talent pool is shallow and is fought over by two schools. That's why next year is the important one for us. It could be the season that determines whether we are a consistently "nice" team or a consistently "good" team.

-HH

cmh6476
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
While I agree recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, there's so much more involved. Perception in recruiting changes with sustained excellence. If Mangino puts together a high quality season this year with another Bowl win, recruits will begin to look more closely at playing style and player development. Players will start to realize if he can make 3* and 2* players into competitive DI players, they might flourish more despite their 4 and 5* ratings. This is because they won't have to sit behind other 4 and 5* recruits longer than they would at one of the elite schools.

USC is beginning to experience some of this. They virtually have their pick of all the west coast 4 and 5* athletes, then get stuck on a star studded depth chart, so they transfer later. Most 4 and 5* athletes continue to pick those schools because they believe in their talent, only to find out how slim the margin can be. With recruiting services getting bigger and their information getting more widely disseminated, recruits are beginning to look where they might star for 2 or 3 years than waiting their turn as a senior.

Now, the elite schools will always be elite, but, I think recruits are getting a bit more savvy about their considerations. The Matt Cassel stories are out there, but they are not the norm, you generally have to be seen in order to be on someone's radar.

-HH

what also will factor, is how KU's recent players that went to the NFL fare at the next level. If guys like Talib end up doing well, I think that has to help a little as well.

ChiTown
01-09-2009, 02:48 PM

tough row to hoe

:D

Titty Meat
01-09-2009, 02:49 PM

**** Nebraska... that state could be nuked and I wouldn't drop a tear. Eat a barrel of dicks, billay.

lol 3 out of 4 good years? 7-5 is good? Yea cause beating teams like Southeast Louisana is really hard. I don't live in Nebraska I live in Kansas and if you really think theres a difference between Nebraska & Kansas you're an even bigger moron.

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Let me say that I am under no illusions that KU will ever be able to compete with the power house programs for recruits. But we should be able to steal one from under them once in awhile if this keeps up. The recruiting has gotten a lot better since Mangino took over. Every year seems to be better.

Good post, your right. The easiest schools to recruit to are going to be USC, and Florida. How hard would it be to recruit to schools with great weather, women, beaches, night life etc etc. There are plenty of schools who are able to find those diamonds in the rough or just the recruits who slipped by other schools, and assemble a pretty good recruit class, like Kansas could do. The thing I like about OSU is that JT doesn't let much talent leave Ohio, and I like when we can get them from here, because High School Football in Ohio is life. A lot of good coaches and players come from Ohio.

cmh6476
01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
if you really think theres a difference between Nebraska & Kansas you're an even bigger moron.

kansas has a state house and senate, nebraska has that goofy unicameral legislature.

duncan_idaho
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I agree, our in state talent pool is shallow and is fought over by two schools. That's why next year is the important one for us. It could be the season that determines whether we are a consistently "nice" team or a consistently "good" team.

-HH

Not to be debbie downer... but I think you might see that some guys want to wait and see if the next QB can get it done like Reesing.

We've seen some of that effect with Daniel, even with an elite recruit like Gabbert waiting in the wings...

Titty Meat
01-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Not to be debbie downer... but I think you might see that some guys want to wait and see if the next QB can get it done like Reesing.

We've seen some of that effect with Daniel, even with an elite recruit like Gabbert waiting in the wings...

C'Mon KU is an elite program now they went 7-5 and didn't play a good team close. They'll win a NC!

Sam Hall
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Mark Mangino knows how to make players better. KU isn't going away.

sedated
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
but I think you might see that some guys want to wait and see if the next QB can get it done like Reesing.

I'm scared shitless about what this offense will look like after we lose Reesing, Meier, and Briscoe.

Although after next year the defense should be getting back on its feet, maybe they can carry us.

sedated
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
C'Mon KU is an elite program now they went 7-5 and didn't play a good team close. They'll win a NC!

There are a lot of dumb pricks on this board, but I've never had to ignore anyone until now.

HolyHandgernade
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM

No, that's absolutely true, its hard to discount the value of a heady productive QB.

-HH

Lzen
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Solid analysis. :rolleyes:

DJJasonp
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
This is a credit to Mangino and his staff........but even more....a credit to Lew Perkins for having a firm understanding of what it takes to be competitive.

Sure, some of the innocence is gone....but so are the 2-10 seasons.

duncan_idaho
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
This is a credit to Mangino and his staff........but even more....a credit to Lew Perkins for having a firm understanding of what it takes to be competitive.

Sure, some of the innocence is gone....but so are the 2-10 seasons.

Perkins was prepped to fire Mangino and bring in Randy Edsall when he got to lawrence ... and word at SN was that Perkins was anxious for an excuse to make that switch as recently as last season.

Methinks Perkins is a little lucky Mangino finally broke through last season... made him see what he really had there.

sedated
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Perkins was prepped to fire Mangino and bring in Randy Edsall when he got to lawrence ... and word at SN was that Perkins was anxious for an excuse to make that switch as recently as last season.

Methinks Perkins is a little lucky Mangino finally broke through last season... made him see what he really had there.

I was under the impression they had an out after the NCAA violations, but didn't take it.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2009, 04:10 PM
we need to really push before Reesing leaves

imo we have to raise our national profile enough so that it makes finding a replacement for Reesing easier.

a team can just disappear if they don't find a decent QB

sedated
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
we need to really push before Reesing leaves

imo we have to raise our national profile enough so that it makes finding a replacement for Reesing easier.

a team can just disappear if they don't find a decent QB

isn't the Lawrence kid supposed to be a bad-ass?

duncan_idaho
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Kale Pick and Jordan Webb are the guys you'll be looking at to replace Reesing, from everything I heard.

Neither has Reesing's hobbit-like ability to escape, at least not from what I've seen. You can see that even on his old high school film. It's not on display for either Pick or Webb...

cmh6476
01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
scout has that juco transfer as a 1-star player, but the DE recruit that signed today is a 4-star, No. 32 overall from scout.com

Kevin Young

http://kansas.scout.com/a.z?s=172&p=9&c=8&toinid=662&yr=2009

was it known he was coming, and I'm just not seeing it here?

ArrowheadHawk
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
scout has that juco transfer as a 1-star player, but the DE recruit that signed today is a 4-star, No. 32 overall from scout.com

Kevin Young

http://kansas.scout.com/a.z?s=172&p=9&c=8&toinid=662&yr=2009

was it known he was coming, and I'm just not seeing it here?

See this. He changed his mind twice.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5374385#post5374385

Titty Meat
01-11-2009, 02:11 PM
There are a lot of dumb pricks on this board, but I've never had to ignore anyone until now.

lol yea I'm a prick for using logic and reason. If KU loses by 30+ points to every good Big 12 South team how do you expect them to win a National Championship?

Titty Meat
01-11-2009, 02:12 PM

You've proved you don't know what the **** you're talking about. Tyler Lawrence wasn't even that good you're thinking of Blake Lawrence who Nebraska got. Once again the Huskers out recruited Ku in their own state.

teedubya
01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
This billay dude is a troll. Fuck this guy.

Titty Meat
01-11-2009, 02:26 PM
lol a troll? You're the ones trolling this KU garbage on a Chiefs site and you think you can be an asshole to someone just cause they're new and when they say something back you call them a troll? You're just a beat down little bitch.

Lzen
01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
lol a troll? You're the ones trolling this KU garbage on a Chiefs site and you think you can be an asshole to someone just cause they're new and when they say something back you call them a troll? You're just a beat down little bitch.

You are being a troll. That is a fact. This website may be called Chiefs Planet, but there have always been many threads about other things not related to the Chiefs or the NFL. There are a lot of KU fans as well as MU and KSU. There are even several Nebraska fans and some fans of other teams.

Don't come in here and act like you own the place. You don't. We have been posting stuff like this on here for many years and we're not about to stop because some dickhole n00b tells us to. If you don't want to hear about KU, then go someplace else because we are going to start threads about KU. If you come into the thread telling us how you think KU sucks blah blah blah, then you are trolling. So go fuck yoursefl, troll.

Lzen
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Heh, and Nebraska is not the 800lb gorilla that they once were. Just like we had to tell KSU fans for a long time, this is not the 90s any more. Something I found on another forum that I thought was interesting.

If you're impressed by Mangino winning recruiting battles with Nebraska, here's some more for you.

Prinz Kande
Randall Dent
Dexter Linton
Tyrone Sellers
Chris Omigie

They all were recruited by Nebraska and all had official offers from them, except Tyrone Sellers, but all gave their verbals to KU this year. So far, only 2 guys recruited by both schools and with offers from both schools chose Nebraska over KU this year.

Skip Towne
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
stfu NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I was busy.

DJay23
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about the increase in talent/recruits. Like someone else said, I'd take being the Virginia Tech of the Big XII. I don't know if we'll win a NC but I sure hope we get the opportunity.

Titty Meat
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Heh, and Nebraska is not the 800lb gorilla that they once were. Just like we had to tell KSU fans for a long time, this is not the 90s any more. Something I found on another forum that I thought was interesting.

That's cause Callahan was a dumbass.

As for Ku out recruiting Nebraska? Hmm I see Nebraska ranked in the top 25 recruiting and Kansas isn't listed.

Sam Hall
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Billay, please just drop it.

The NU-KU recruiting debate has been a wash throughout the years. I follow NU recruiting, and I've never heard of Kande, Dent and Linton. People thought Omigie would go to Baylor. KU has a kid named Tim Biere from Omaha that I wish was a Husker. Of course, Gale Sayers goes without saying, and I'm sure there are others.

I'm sure Tom Osborne signed some good players from Kansas. Nebraska has a couple kids from Kansas who could start next year: Kyler Reed and Blake Lawrence. The recruiting isn't worth arguing about.

DJay23
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Some weird stuff from KU recruiting. Looking back through the first few years of Mangino's tenure:

**** - DE Kory Kipp (?)
** - WR Charles Gordon (currently in the NFL)
** - TE Derek Fine (currently in the NFL)

**** - DE Monroe Weekly (?)

** - DE Anthony Collins (currently in the NFL; apparently recruited for D)
** - CB Aqib Talib (currently in the NFL)

**** - DE Rodney Allen (?)
**** - LB Brandon Duncan (?)

Seems that greater talent has by and large gone wasted with Mangino. I honestly can't remember these 4 stars. In fact the only 4 star who has stood out was Gabe Toomey.

I know recruits are hit or miss, but I think my point is Mangino seems to be able to get quite a lot out of projects and something happens to the guys who are projected more ready to play out of high school.

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Is it fair to bump this?

Mr. Kotter
12-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Is it fair to bump this?

We'd expect it of a fag...

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
We'd expect it of a pillowbiter...

Come on this was fun and you know it. If I was totally wrong I would expect one of you to bump it, it's what we do on here.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Is it fair to bump this?
you were a dick then and you're dick now

so a bump is fairly moot

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I hope none of the posters in this thread went to Vegas last Spring.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Like someone else said, I'd take being the Virginia Tech of the Big XII.

Guess you'll have to settle for vo-tech instead of VA Tech.

Saulbadguy
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Mark Mangino knows how to make players better. KU isn't going away.

:clap:

Frazod
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I hope none of the posters in this thread went to Vegas last Spring.

Actually, I hope they did. LMAO

Braincase
12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Is it fair to bump this?

It's not about fairness. It's about inflicting and perpetuating pain. The KU fans do it to the MU fans, the MU fans do it the KU fans. It happened last year, it happens this year. KU's lows are lower, so the wounds have to be salted a little deeper. It's just the way it is.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
It's not about fairness. It's about inflicting and perpetuating pain. The KU fans do it to the MU fans, the MU fans do it the KU fans. It happened last year, it happens this year. KU's lows are lower, so the wounds have to be salted a little deeper. It's just the way it is.

Finally somebody gets it.

Lzen
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Come on this was fun and you know it. If I was totally wrong I would expect one of you to bump it, it's what we do on here.

Heh, I didn't realize somebody had bumped this. I still don't see that much has changed. Has KU lost some recruits whom I'm unaware? If Lew Perkins makes the right hire, KU will continue to compete and, hopefully, get better in recruiting.

Titty Meat
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Heh, I didn't realize somebody had bumped this. I still don't see that much has changed. Has KU lost some recruits whom I'm unaware? If Lew Perkins makes the right hire, KU will continue to compete and, hopefully, get better in recruiting.

Alot can happen between now and Feburary so we'll see what happens with recruiting.

Lzen
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Alot can happen between now and Feburary so we'll see what happens with recruiting.

I'm not saying that we won't lose recruits. We probably will as that usually happens at least some with a new coach. I'm just saying that the recruiting should continue to improve. KU has a lot more to offer now than when MM took over in 2002.