PDA

View Full Version : Football Jeff Fisher available for HC?

thebrad84
01-10-2009, 08:20 PM
With Tennessee's one-and-done in the playoffs, and Fisher being the HC for Oilers/Titans for 14+ years and no ring, I'd say it's possible Fisher may get the axe this off season. Is he someone that you might look at to come in and hopefully help 'right this ship' in KC?

The man has obviously proven himself in this league time and time again (128-102 lifetime HC record), and is especially impressive with building strong, hard-hitting defensive teams. But one can not overlook the fact that he has ultimately failed for almost 15 years as a head coach to win it all, having a mediocre 5 and now 6 record in the playoffs. Is he just another Schottenheimer? He has at least coached his team to the big dance once, ultimately falling short by one yard in '99, but he hasn't really threatened to make a deep playoff run since.

I, for one, would be excited to hear that Fisher is let go from Tennessee and would like to see us make a run at him. Obviously at this point any one with his credentials is better than the current situation here in KC, but that could be said about a lot of current high school coaches.

What say you? Would any one else be excited about Fisher? Am I just living some pipe dream thinking Fisher might even be available this off season? Does my comments/opinions mean anything when I'm sporting less than 500 posts in 4 years time? Anyways, just a thought. I'll go back to mostly lurking now. Carry on KC fans.

kstater
01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
No, and figure out where the enter key is on your keyboard.

Basileus777
01-10-2009, 08:22 PM
No, just no.

58-4ever
01-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Doubt he gets the axe. Moot point.

Bowser
01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Where is that gif of the kid mopping the floor and shaking his head "no".

OnTheWarpath15
01-10-2009, 08:24 PM

This.Paragraphsareyourfriend.

rad
01-10-2009, 08:25 PM

What do you
want,
blueballs?

thebrad84
01-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Better?

Reerun_KC
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
dude just pulled a Marty...

He can stay in Tenn...

thebrad84
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Doubt he gets the axe. Moot point.

I realize I have no 'sources' or anything solid that suggests he might get canned, but 14+ years (longest tenured head coach) and no ring, I think there is a strong possibility he may get fired. Again, maybe I'm just dreaming.

KCChiefsMan
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
with the loss today that is so familiar to us KC fans. most here will now say that Fisher is a terrible coach. But no way he leaves anyways.

DT58HOF
01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
HELL YEAH, One of the BEST coaches in this league.

eazyb81
01-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I realize I have no 'sources' or anything solid that suggests he might get canned, but 14+ years (longest tenured head coach) and no ring, I think there is a strong possibility he may get fired. Again, maybe I'm just dreaming.

As someone who lives in Nashville, I would bet a large sum of money that he will not get fired. Fans will be bummed, no doubt, but this state lives and dies by Volunteer football, not the Titans.

There's not going to be a huge uproar or demand for change that there might be in other cities. People will most likely say it was bad luck, and then start talking about Lane Kiffin again.

OnTheWarpath15
01-10-2009, 08:37 PM

I'm on my laptop.

I'll go upstairs and post it at halftime.

I love that gif...

OnTheWarpath15
01-10-2009, 08:41 PM

http://i34.tinypic.com/68u1wz.gif

Basileus777
01-10-2009, 08:49 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/68u1wz.gif

But I just jizzed in my pants.

tk13
01-10-2009, 08:49 PM
It's sad that he'd even be mentioned in the same sentence as Marty. He was put into probably the worst situation of cap hell of any coach in the last 15 years, and still helped rebuild the team. And that's with being forced to draft a QB he didn't want. Trying to define his career on one game is crazy.

He's definitely not Marty, or anything close... getting to see them play the Colts twice a year, they have probably been the single most aggressive team against the Colts this decade. Going deep, going for it on 4th down, multiple onside kicks in the same game, etc.

I mean I totally agree that I personally want someone fresh for the Chiefs situation, but I do think this place has gone borderline mad in terms of coach evaluation.

OnTheWarpath15
01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
But I just jizzed in my pants.

Like this?

http://i35.tinypic.com/2lbc8iw.gif

cdcox
01-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Can we just go head and mail the hair shirts to Marty/Fisher/Cowher crowd so they can enjoy their misery without wishing it on the rest of us?

tk13
01-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Can we just go head and mail the hair shirts to Marty/Fisher/Cowher crowd so they can enjoy their misery without wishing it on the rest of us?
That's crazy. When did Marty or Cowher ever develop an MVP quarterback like McNair?

Basileus777
01-10-2009, 08:55 PM

I don't think it's fair to lump Fisher with those two. He had McNair and it's not his fault his front office gave him Vince Young.

DT58HOF
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
huh????????

rad
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Call me stupid, but I'm not understanding the hair shirts part.

cdcox
01-10-2009, 09:00 PM
.557 winning percentage and 5-5 playoff record over 15 years is not my idea of a dynasty coach.

Basileus777
01-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Hair shirts are...shirts made of animal hair used by monks and such to cause pain for religious purposes. He's saying that wanting Marty/Cowher is just another way of purposely causing pain.

LiL stumppy
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
He wont get the axe but he would be 10x better than anyone we have.

cdcox
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Self-imposed agony.

rad
01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Self-imposed agony.

Oh, ok. Pretty obscure. I would have said rawhide underwear or something.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2009, 09:28 PM
He wont get the axe but he would be 10x better than anyone we have.

So is a monkey masturbating on the sidelines...

Thig Lyfe
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM

You mean Justin Timberlake?

Pitt Gorilla
01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
http://75.125.205.90/BB/%3Cobject%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22344%22%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22movie%22%20value=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20value=%22true%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowscriptaccess%22%20value=%22always%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowscriptaccess=%22always%22%20allowfullscreen=%22true%22%20width=%22425%22%20height=%2 2344%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3ESo is a monkey masturbating on the sidelines...<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2009, 10:40 PM
.557 winning percentage and 5-5 playoff record over 15 years is not my idea of a dynasty coach.

This

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
dude just pulled a Marty...

He can stay in Tenn...

"Pulled a Marty"?

He IS Marty.

With a beard.

Deberg_1990
01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
"Pulled a Marty"?

He IS Marty.

With a beard.

Better. He actually made it to a Super Bowl once...

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Better. He actually made it to a Super Bowl once...

Yeah, whatever.

He choked that away, too.

FloridaMan88
01-10-2009, 10:51 PM
The Chiefs should go after someone young and upcoming... i.e. Josh McDaniels.

Not someone with old, stale ideas.

whoman69
01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I am not in favor of hiring any coach that has been in the game forever and no longer may have the drive or the energy to reach the top. I can only think of one coach that had been with one team for more than 10 years and brought a new team a championship, and that's Bill Parcells. Even he didn't win the Super Bowl. Think of all those same types that totally failed: Mike Ditka, Hank Stram, George Seifert, Vince Lombardi and Jimmy Johnson.

DaWolf
01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Might as well hire Marty if you want to hire Fisher. Same thing...

keg in kc
01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Jesus god no.

tk13
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I am not in favor of hiring any coach that has been in the game forever and no longer may have the drive or the energy to reach the top. I can only think of one coach that had been with one team for more than 10 years and brought a new team a championship, and that's Bill Parcells. Even he didn't win the Super Bowl. Think of all those same types that totally failed: Mike Ditka, Hank Stram, George Seifert, Vince Lombardi and Jimmy Johnson.
Cowher.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2009, 11:17 PM
"Pulled a Marty"?

He IS Marty.

With a beard.

ROFL

Just give us something new, not another retread!!!

Reerun_KC
01-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Cowher.

NOT only no, but HELL FUCKING NO!!!!

tk13
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I think I read that wrong. But even then... most of this decade, Belichick, Cowher, Dungy, Coughlin... all guys who had their first head coaching job over 10+ years ago before finally winning a title.

Which, given that as your guide, that means either the Eagles or Chargers are going to win the title this year. :)

Deberg_1990
01-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I think I read that wrong. But even then... most of this decade, Belichick, Cowher, Dungy, Coughlin... all guys who had their first head coaching job over 10+ years ago before finally winning a title.

Which, given that as your guide, that means either the Eagles or Chargers are going to win the title this year. :)

Belichick??

Lets see...he coached the Browns for 4 years....

Then didnt have another HC gig for about 5 years....then won a SB in his 2nd year with the Pats.

Not sure if he counts or not.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
http://75.125.205.90/BB/%3Cobject%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22344%22%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22movie%22%20value=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20value=%22true%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowscriptaccess%22%20value=%22always%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowscriptaccess=%22always%22%20allowfullscreen=%22true%22%20width=%22425%22%20height=%2 2344%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57M3rKfYnpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>
That is Herm after 3 runs up the centers ass and a 35 yard FG to bring us with in 3 TD's late in the 4th...

sportsman1
01-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Actually.. that felt worse than anything Marty ever did. Back to supporting the lovable losers... Royals, Chiefs, Hogs.... Just friggin shoot me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 02:51 AM
His 4th and 1 foot call should have told you all you need to know about how much he's learned throughout his years in the playoffs.

Going for the tie rather than one foot and possibly the win. Even if you don't get it, Balt is still backed way up and you have 4:30 left. If you do get it, you can score a TD, and will probably take another 2 minutes off the clock, which forces Flacco to pass the ball down the field and make Balt one dimensional.

It was cowardly.

tk13
01-11-2009, 03:01 AM
His 4th and 1 foot call should have told you all you need to know about how much he's learned throughout his years in the playoffs.

Going for the tie rather than one foot and possibly the win. Even if you don't get it, Balt is still backed way up and you have 4:30 left. If you do get it, you can score a TD, and will probably take another 2 minutes off the clock, which forces Flacco to pass the ball down the field and make Balt one dimensional.

It was cowardly.
I really strongly disagree with that. In some cases you're right... but you're also missing your best running back and will have to do that with Fatdale White and his cloud of dust. And against a great defense that will be sending in 11 guys against the run. Or you can put it in Kerry Collins hands.

There's no way that was a gimmie. And I think it could've been the backbreaking had they blown yet another scoring opportunity.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 03:07 AM
I really strongly disagree with that. In some cases you're right... but you're also missing your best running back and will have to do that with Fatdale White and his cloud of dust. And against a great defense that will be sending in 11 guys against the run. Or you can put it in Kerry Collins hands.

There's no way that was a gimmie. And I think it could've been the backbreaking had they blown yet another scoring opportunity.

Kicking the field goal there you are hoping to win a coinflip in overtime, or hoping that your d can stop them in a 3 and out and then drive 50+ yards for another win with 2 minutes left.

If you can't get a friggin foot with a 260 lb. back and a massive interior line, Ahmad Hall and Alge Crumpler (240 and 260), then you damn sure can't expect to win. Hell, Collins is 6'5" 240.

That's the most advantageous situation you could hope for. At some point you have to go out and win the game, rather than hope that the other team loses it.

Baltimore had to drive down and win the game at the end. They did. Tennessee had to get a foot to try and win the game. They passed the buck.

tk13
01-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Yeah but it wasn't a foot, it was almost a good yard. And you're playing against a defense that is just as physical and fast as you are... and they know you're going to be one dimensional there. They are going to put 11 guys in the box and attack. Neither team could barely run the football to begin with aside from Chris Johnson, and he wasn't available. I'd definitely agree more if Johnson was in the game.

It is so much easier to make these calls in hindsight though than in the heat of the game. When you've been in a total defensive dogfight for almost 60 minutes and every single yard has been difficult to come by it probably is a bit harder to take that kinda risk than if it's 38-35 and everybody is moving up and down the field at will.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Yeah but it wasn't a foot, it was almost a good yard. And you're playing against a defense that is just as physical and fast as you are... and they know you're going to be one dimensional there. They are going to put 11 guys in the box and attack. Neither team could barely run the football to begin with aside from Chris Johnson, and he wasn't available. I'd definitely agree more if Johnson was in the game.

It is so much easier to make these calls in hindsight though than in the heat of the game. When you've been in a total defensive dogfight for almost 60 minutes and every single yard has been difficult to come by it probably is a bit harder to take that kinda risk than if it's 38-35 and everybody is moving up and down the field at will.

But the thing is that it wasn't that much of a battle of attrition for Tennessee's O. They moved the ball very very well. And I'm not playing hindsight or Monday Morning QB, as I was adamant that they go for it at the time. Even if it was a yard, and it wasn't, your team has to be able to get one yard when it counts.

Tennessee really should have scored 23-30 points in that game. Baltimore's defense was remarkably average.

Fisher just reminds me of Marty, Herm, and Cowher. They are the kinds of guys who if they are playing poker, simply play the cards that they are dealt and hope to check and call everything down to the river, hoping that things will fall just right. They never show aggression or a killer instinct.

It's not the U.S. Open. Football teams just don't collapse and throw up all over themselves. The Jack Nicklaus strategy of let the other guys destroy themselves does not work in the NFL playoffs, unless you are in a very rare circumstance (Jake Delhomme).

tk13
01-11-2009, 03:42 AM
But, no offense, I don't think you're right at all. I watch them play the Colts twice a year, and Jeff Fisher plays them more aggressive than any other team in the league. I don't think it's even close. He's eased up some now that he has a better team that can go toe-to-toe, but he was the only coach that would come in there and go for it on 4th down, take shots downfield repeatedly against their cover 2, and attempt multiple onside kicks in the same game. Trick plays, etc.

Now he doesn't do that every week, but I think Jeff Fisher isn't anything like Marty. People here are just so scarred by Marty they slap that label on anyone who is a defensive coach. And it's flat wrong. Even earlier in today's game they went for it on a 4th down and didn't make it. There was a game late in the season I watched where they went for it on 4th down in FG range... I think it was the Houston game, and the announcers were criticizing Fisher for it, and they ended up losing the game.

I don't watch them every single week, and I'm sure he's made conservative calls before, but there's no way Jeff Fisher is a guy I think of as afraid to take risks.

tk13
01-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Maybe I'm just watching the wrong games. I could be totally wrong, I'll admit I don't think the dude is Mike Martz but he's got big enough balls to take risks when he feels like it's a good move. I think people are just slapping that label on him because he's a defensive coach.

I've been stuck watching a lot of Titans games over the years, I just never thought of him that way, not a total Marty. He's always been a smart defensive coach that has good special teams, good running attack, and has always had aggressive offensive coordinators like Heimerdinger and Chow to complement him.

tk13
01-11-2009, 03:53 AM
I'd love to have Schwartz though, he is a fresh face. That's the sad part to today's game... his defense was outstanding today, absolutely outstanding. And nobody will remember it. You might not see a better defensive game in the playoffs in terms of just not allowing the opponent to do anything. It was like they had 15 guys on the field most of the game, they were everywhere.

The only time they truly got beat was Mason made a great catch on his knees on a ball Flacco probably underthrew, and then Clayton made a great catch after two defenders slipped. And it cost them.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 03:55 AM
But, no offense, I don't think you're right at all. I watch them play the Colts twice a year, and Jeff Fisher plays them more aggressive than any other team in the league. I don't think it's even close. He's eased up some now that he has a better team that can go toe-to-toe, but he was the only coach that would come in there and go for it on 4th down, take shots downfield repeatedly against their cover 2, and attempt multiple onside kicks in the same game. Trick plays, etc.

Now he doesn't do that every week, but I think Jeff Fisher isn't anything like Marty. People here are just so scarred by Marty they slap that label on anyone who is a defensive coach. And it's flat wrong. Even earlier in today's game they went for it on a 4th down and didn't make it. There was a game late in the season I watched where they went for it on 4th down in FG range... I think it was the Houston game, and the announcers were criticizing Fisher for it, and they ended up losing the game.

I don't watch them every single week, and I'm sure he's made conservative calls before, but there's no way Jeff Fisher is a guy I think of as afraid to take risks.

I don't know about that. I don't see people slapping the Marty tag on Mike Tomlin, who's a defensive guy. He was in the same position earlier this year in the second Balt-Pitt game and even though the officials incorrectly called Santonio Holmes as having scored a TD, Tomlin was more than ready to go for it right there, with a worse line and worse backs, even if not making that foot meant an automatic loss (due to time left) rather than just losing the ball at 4:30.

It's the same kind of chickenshit playcalling that cost the Rams their game against the Panthers in the '03 divisional playoffs. No bigger go-for-the-throat psycho than Mike Martz curled up into a shell in G2G, played for the tie, and eventually got burned because of it. And that was the last Rams team worth a shit.

I've never understood the philosophy of coaches who think that settling for field goals will lead to success. It's a pretty simple cost/benefit analysis of the situation. If Tennesse makes that yard, the worst thing that happens is that they get stopped in G2G and have to win it in OT. If they score a TD, they probably win that game 95/100 times. If they don't get it, they still have a chance to stop Baltimore. But by settling for the FG, not only do you have to stop Baltimore, you still have to score again.

The conservative approach relies on too many externalities falling your way.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Maybe I'm just watching the wrong games. I could be totally wrong, I'll admit I don't think the dude is Mike Martz but he's got big enough balls to take risks when he feels like it's a good move. I think people are just slapping that label on him because he's a defensive coach.

I've been stuck watching a lot of Titans games over the years, I just never thought of him that way, not a total Marty. He's always been a smart defensive coach that has good special teams, good running attack, and has always had aggressive offensive coordinators like Heimerdinger and Chow to complement him.

Meh...he had a damned good QB in McNair, Wycheck, Dyson, Mason, and Eddie George, and that offense was never anything other than mediocre to slightly above average.