PDA

View Full Version : Misc Help with workout routines...

JimNasium
01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
We joined a gym for the new year and Jenny has been successful in getting me off of my butt. It's been years since I've done any kind of strength training and honestly I'm struggling with developing a routine. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a basic workout focused on cardio and strength training that can be accomplished in an hour. The gym in question has plenty of free weights and Cybex machines. Also, any good websites you could direct me to would be appreciated.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Buy this book.

http://builtforshow.com

It emphasizes 3x a week total body workouts that incorporate a variety of machines and free-weight exercises.

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Grab a barbell with no weight on it.

1. Straight leg deadlifts (Arch your back and bend over keeping your legs straight with the barbell against your quads.)

No rest

2. Bent over rows (Knees slightly bent, bend over and pull the barbell up to your chest)

No rest

3. Bar on back split squats. (Basically a lunge but keep both feet planted.)

No rest

4. Standing pull ups. (Standing straight up, use a close grip on the bar and pull it up to neck height)

No rest

5. Squat press. (With the bar on your back, full squat, and once you reach the top press the barbell up over your head)

No rest

6. Standing goodmornings. (Legs straight and bar on back, arch your back and lean over as far as you can go.)

No rest

7. Bicep curls

Do 10 reps for each exercise and 4 sets. Rest 3-4 minutes between sets. If you can add weight. This is good because it contains both strength training and cardio because you aren't resting between exercises.

petegz28
01-11-2009, 05:07 PM
We joined a gym for the new year and Jenny has been successful in getting me off of my butt. It's been years since I've done any kind of strength training and honestly I'm struggling with developing a routine. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a basic workout focused on cardio and strength training that can be accomplished in an hour. The gym in question has plenty of free weights and Cybex machines. Also, any good websites you could direct me to would be appreciated.

I used to do the "Push-Legs-Pull" routine....mix in 20-30min of cardio...

Monday - Push exercises, bench press, dips, that sort of thing
Wendesday - legs
Friday - pull exercises, curls, that sort of thing.

Do it on freeweights as much as possible.

mlyonsd
01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Does your gym have a personal trainer? If so I'd spend the money and have them help you for a few weeks. A good PT can give you a routine that will encompass all your major muscle groups.

I was running 2.5 miles on a treadmill everyday and then my back went out. I couldn't believe how easy my PT taught me how to fix it. They'll show you exerices you'll never think about.

BWillie
01-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I alternate between variations of 5x5 and HST workouts, which are much different than most people are accustomed to, and work much much better IMO. They don't really incorporate much for cardio, but you could always add a couple cardio days. I've seen my strength skyrocket, and my lean muscle mass increase as well since doing these two programs 2-3 years ago. Most bodybuilding routines you see in magazines emphasizing alot of volume and training body parts to failure almost all the time don't work very well for alot of people unless they juice. For example, most people say you should do splits like what petegz28 suggests, and while they can be somewhat successful for some people, I've found using the element of progressive load and rarely lifting to failure to allow me to get bigger and stronger.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but if you are looking to gain the most amount of muscle possible you might want to take a look.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

chiefbowe82
01-11-2009, 06:07 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/
great forum, everything on the site imaginable, from nutrition, exercises, motivation, etc.

Buehler445
01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I had a decent one when I was in Emporia. Let me see if I can find it.

LOCOChief
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM

1. Straight leg deadlifts (Arch your back and bend over keeping your legs straight with the barbell against your quads.)

No rest

2. Bent over rows (Knees slightly bent, bend over and pull the barbell up to your chest)

No rest

3. Bar on back split squats. (Basically a lunge but keep both feet planted.)

No rest

4. Standing pull ups. (Standing straight up, use a close grip on the bar and pull it up to neck height)

No rest

5. Squat press. (With the bar on your back, full squat, and once you reach the top press the barbell up over your head)

No rest

6. Standing goodmornings. (Legs straight and bar on back, arch your back and lean over as far as you can go.)

No rest

7. Bicep curls

Do 10 reps for each exercise and 4 sets. Rest 3-4 minutes between sets. If you can add weight. This is good because it contains both strength training and cardio because you aren't resting between exercises.

Great workout, maybe add 15-20min warm up/ cardio ie: bike, row maching or treadmill. Elevate your heartrate to around 130bpm (not so much you can't carry on a conversation) then maintiain that rate throughout the unothedeals w/o. Best to finish it all with a good stretch. less than 60 min.

stevieray
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
you put your right hand up
you put your right down
you lift the weight
till they really make youu frown

you do the Jenny pokey
till she smiles and slowly pouts

that's what it's all about

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 07:39 PM
great forum, everything on the site imaginable, from nutrition, exercises, motivation, etc.

You forgot webcasted suicide

Oz_Chief
01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I like Simon Waterson's stuff. I think this is a really good book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-30-Minute-A-Day-Body-Challenge/dp/B000IOERFM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225299451&sr=8-11

You'll see it say things like "lose a dress size" etc. Do not let that fool you into thinking this is for women.

This guy is an ex-British soldier that now trains actors in the film industry. More recent cleints include Daniel Craig and Halle Berry.

I like his approach because it is all about brief (30-45 minutes) workouts based on circuit training and running.

A few years ago I was looking for a routine. I picked this book up and have been in excellent shape ever since. I am not big into building large muscle but more focused on cardiovascular fitness with muscle toning. If you are looking for advice regarding body building I would look elsewhere.

penguinz
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Knees should be slightly bent.

eazyb81
01-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Yep, I was going to provide a link to this board.

Bodybuilding.com and elitefitness.com provided the knowledge that helped me get ripped a couple years back.

QuikSsurfer
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
www.elitefitness.com

edit: beaten

QuikSsurfer
01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Buy this book.

http://builtforshow.com

It emphasizes 3x a week total body workouts that incorporate a variety of machines and free-weight exercises.

A friend of mine recommended this book to me a few weeks back.
Looks like it would be a years edition of Maxim..
I may head to a Barnes and Noble and flip through it.

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Knees should be slightly bent.

It's more of a hamstring exercise therefore legs should be straight so you really feel the stretch in them.

KC Jones
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
This guy swears by anabolic steroids:

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=69145&rendTypeId=4

Silock
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
It's more of a hamstring exercise therefore legs should be straight so you really feel the stretch in them.

It's also hell on your knees and lower back if your legs aren't slightly bent. You can still bend them SLIGHTLY and get the hamstring workout you need.

Silock
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I alternate between variations of 5x5 and HST workouts, which are much different than most people are accustomed to, and work much much better IMO. They don't really incorporate much for cardio, but you could always add a couple cardio days. I've seen my strength skyrocket, and my lean muscle mass increase as well since doing these two programs 2-3 years ago. Most bodybuilding routines you see in magazines emphasizing alot of volume and training body parts to failure almost all the time don't work very well for alot of people unless they juice. For example, most people say you should do splits like what petegz28 suggests, and while they can be somewhat successful for some people, I've found using the element of progressive load and rarely lifting to failure to allow me to get bigger and stronger.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but if you are looking to gain the most amount of muscle possible you might want to take a look.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

I agree with this, for the most part (I'm currently on a 5x5 one day per week and a 3x12 once a week). But, only once you've gotten into a routine. For getting back in shape, absolutely nothing beats a full-body workout. Most people see their greatest gains on a full-body workout.

There's some really great ones here:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

Repetition and set ranges to consider:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LightHeavy.html

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
It's also hell on your knees and lower back if your legs aren't slightly bent. You can still bend them SLIGHTLY and get the hamstring workout you need.

Not at all. It's really light weight so there's no damage done.

Silock
01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Not at all. It's really light weight so there's no damage done.

That depends entirely upon how much weight you do.

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
That depends entirely upon how much weight you do.
:spock:

Silock
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
:spock:

What I'm saying is there are a million different ways to do a deadlift. The important things to consider are 1) safety (don't hurt yourself) and 2) how much work you are doing. Really light weight will allow you to keep your knees locked, but you're not doing a lot of work, either. To me, it sounded like you're saying that you can't get a hamstring workout without locked knees, which isn't true at all.

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
What I'm saying is there are a million different ways to do a deadlift. The important things to consider are 1) safety (don't hurt yourself) and 2) how much work you are doing. Really light weight will allow you to keep your knees locked, but you're not doing a lot of work, either. To me, it sounded like you're saying that you can't get a hamstring workout without locked knees, which isn't true at all.

Oh, no. Just this particular workout is better with straight legs. It's only your lower back doing the work so the average guy can't really do 225lbs.

ChiefsOne
01-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Hamstring correct, straight legs wrong. Slightly bent!

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Hamstring correct, straight legs wrong. Slightly bent!

He'd be using 80 pounds at the most (Or whatever he's going to curl) so it's not going to affect his knees.

ChiefsOne
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Tips: Bend at your waist with your head up, back straight and knees nearly locked. Hold bar with hands about 16 inches apart. Straighten up while holding the bar at arm's length. Lower back down to the floor but do not let plates touch. This can be a dangerous exercise if not done correctly or done with weights that are too heavy. Can also be done standing on a bench or box (so that plates don't touch the floor) or with dumbbells.

eazyb81
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Tips: Bend at your waist with your head up, back straight and knees nearly locked. Hold bar with hands about 16 inches apart. Straighten up while holding the bar at arm's length. Lower back down to the floor but do not let plates touch. This can be a dangerous exercise if not done correctly or done with weights that are too heavy. Can also be done standing on a bench or box (so that plates don't touch the floor) or with dumbbells.

Keeping your head up is wrong too. That's hell on your neck. If you're doing SLDLs, bentover rows, whatever, keep your head in a normal position even when you bend over.

ChiefsOne
01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
What gym did Jim join?

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a basic workout focused on cardio and strength training that can be accomplished in an hour.

More creative sex and you never have to leave the house.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
A friend of mine recommended this book to me a few weeks back.
Looks like it would be a years edition of Maxim..
I may head to a Barnes and Noble and flip through it.

It's pretty cool. Has chapters on nutrition and fashion, too. It's perfect for a dude like me who just wants to get ass. In fact the guy is very frank about it. :evil:

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM
It's pretty cool. Has chapters on nutrition and fashion, too. It's perfect for a dude like me who just wants to get ass. In fact the guy is very frank about it. :evil:

In order to get ass other than thru your computer screen you need to get out of the basement,especially on weekend nights.

HTH

Hammock Parties
01-11-2009, 09:58 PM
In order to get ass other than thru your computer screen you need to get out of the basement,especially on weekend nights.

HTH

Are you living anti-vicariously through my frustrated sexuality?

dorseybowe
01-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Nutrition tip: a glass of water in the morning, opposed to coffee, gets the metabolism going

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Are you living anti-vicariously through my frustrated sexuality?

Nah, and seriously I have no real problem with you,I'm just trying to be of help because believe me before long you'll look up and be an older bastard like me and think aw hell why didn't I listen to those guys.

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I think before Jim was able to read all the responses he fell asleep in his lazy boy with a piece of chocolate cake all over his chin

Hammock Parties
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Nah, and seriously I have no real problem with you,I'm just trying to be of help because believe me before long you'll look up and be an older bastard like me and think aw hell why didn't I listen to those guys.

It's OK dude. I appreciate your concern. I'm just broken and need to be fixed.

KC Jones
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
What gym did Jim join?

I'm pretty sure Jenny signed him up for Curves