PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas

Buehler445
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I did a search for this and all I found was Silock's Evil Overloard thread.

What I'm looking for is some relatively quick, easy recipes for dinner. The better half and I both work, so we can't spend hours and hours on prep time. We aren't gourmet cooks, but we're not retarded either. I know there are some culinary geniuses on here, so I figured I'd see what I could come up with.

Some of our staples are: Tacos, simple pasta, chicken, fajitas that type of thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA

Buehler445
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
One of my favorites is:
1 can cream of chicken soup
fill the can up with milk and combine with soup.
Bring milk and soup to nearly a boil in a sauce pan (stir constantly so it doesn't scorch). Once soup and milk is almost to a boil, add 1 can rice and reduce heat (if using electric oven, just shut it off and let the residual heat finish cooking)

Serve with chicken nuggets or chicken strips.

Simple and easy.

blueballs
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
oatmeal and cottagecheese
just chunky milk

BWillie
01-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I put two 4 oz frozen chicken breasts in a microwavable dish. 10-15 minutes on high in the microwave. then put spaghetti on the stove which takes about that long to cook as well. go take your work clothes off, do whatever you do when you get home for 10-15 minutes and wallah. it is done. easy to clean up, and you would be surprised how good chicken breasts in the microwave taste as lone as you have the right seasoning and put alot of water in the dish to begin with so it's not dry.

Bugeater
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
We use our crock pot a lot. The BBQ purists won't like this, but throw in a roast in the morning, come home and put some BBQ sauce in it for some easy cheater Q. Corned beef in the morning, reubens when you get home.

Another one of our faves is to brown some pork chops in a pan, then simmer them in Campbell's golden mushroom soup for about an hour, and serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie. It takes some time, but it's not a lot of work and it's damn good.

blueballs
01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
grilled tofu with mequite seasoning
makes a killer burrito

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Ramen noodles
frozen pizza
tv dinners
a can of corn

BWillie
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Another good one. Green beans and beer. Everything the body needs.

melbar
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Progresso bread crumbs-----1cup
grated parmasean-----------1/2 cup
chicken Breast
butter

Mix breadcrumbs and parmasean with some salt and pepper
Melt butter in a saucepan and dip the chicken in it
Coat chicken with breadcrumbs and place in the oven 375 for 30-40 min.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Few real easy staples I make when i don't have time (these are separate dishes, by the way):

-SIMPLE LINGUINI - Cook linguini. In a separate saucepan, cook garlic, olive oil (and I use a can of minced clams too, but you don't have to) on low heat with the cover on. Mix the pasta with the sauce and add some parm (optional)
-VELVEETA - Get a box of velveeta. You can make grilled cheese or true Mac and Cheese (not the processed Easy Mac kind)
-Chicken parm. Cut a chicken breast in half (butterfly). Dip in beaten egg mix, cover with bread crumbs. Brown the chicken on the skillet. Take that chicken on a baking dish with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese on top, throw in the oven at about 375 until the cheese melts.
-Rice and eggs. Cook a cup of rice, put a fried egg on top of it, put a spoonful of margarine or butter on top, then mix in enough soy sauce until it tastes salty enough
-Easy chicken recipe -- Brown some chicken thighs, add in some tomato sauce (you can buy the cheap, canned kind), splash in a little wine (but not too much, as the sauce will get to watery), and cover the frying pan and cook on low heat for about a half hour

Pretty good stuff. All that is stuff you can make with ingredients you probably have anyway.

Buehler445
01-12-2009, 12:27 AM
I might take a gander at this one.

Beefy Taco Joes

INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground beef
1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup (Regular or 25% Less Sodium)
1 cup Pace® Thick & Chunky Salsa
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
8 Pepperidge Farm® Classic Sandwich Buns with Sesame Seeds

DIRECTIONS
Brown ground beef in skillet. Pour off fat.
Add soup and salsa. Heat through. Top with cheese. Serve on rolls.
Serve with French fries and corn on the cob. For dessert serve chunky applesauce.

Buehler445
01-12-2009, 12:47 AM
I found this in the Recipe Supercenter (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=141504)

Marinated Chicken Breastsesses

Not a tough one at all either...

Get some of that Lawrys 30 minute marinade found at your local store and some boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

All you gotta do is poke a bunch of holes in the chicken breasts and use the whole thing of lawry's marinade and place them in tupperware and place in frigde for 24 hrs. They BBQ great.

I like to use some Corn and Garlic Bread to go along with this.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Slice up a pound of strip steak and saute it. Boil some egg noodles. Once your steak is browned add a can of golden mushroom soup, and sour cream to taste. I don't measure, but I'd guess around 4 oz. of sour cream. Pour it over your noodles and you have some pretty tasty, ghetto ass beef stroganoff.

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I realized a while back that when my wife is out of town I eat like a first grader. The last time she was gone I had watermelon, cashews, and Jiffy blueberry muffins for dinner, and really liked it.

beavis
01-12-2009, 01:12 AM
I realized a while back that when my wife is out of town I eat like a first grader. The last time she was gone I had watermelon, cashews, and Jiffy blueberry muffins for dinner, and really liked it.

Were you out of fruit rollups?

btlook1
01-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Put your roast in the crock pot in the morning when you leave....8hrs later it's done...remove fat and bone boil some egg noodles in a can or two of beef broth. toss in roast...simple easy and tasty!

We canned a ton spaghetti sauce last summer...brown meat pour in sauce. Best thing we have canned yet...other than salsa!!

Chief Chief
01-12-2009, 06:07 AM
T'ain't nuthin' quicker and easier than ANTI-FREEZE!

Buehler445
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
T'ain't nuthin' quicker and easier than ANTI-FREEZE!

17 Posts? You guys are slacking!

Buehler445
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I realized a while back that when my wife is out of town I eat like a first grader.

ROFL I understand that Rain Man.

blaise
01-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Brown a pound of ground beef, mix in taco seasoning.
Spread on bottom of glass baking dish.
Pour two cans of Campbells Condensed Nacho Cheese soup over beef.
Empty a whole bag of tater tots onto top of beef and soup.
Bake for about 45 minutes at 350.
(you can add a can of corn on top of the beef if you want.)

Fire Me Boy!
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
This is basically a Santa Fe chili... yummy. It's one of my wife's and my fallback dinners.

White Corn Chili

1 lb. ground beef
16 oz. favorite salsa
1 can of beans, drained & rinsed
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 can of white corn, drained

Brown the beef, drain and rinse to get off the excess fat. Put back in pan, add salsa, beans, tomatoes and corn. Bring to a boil. Drop temperature, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Infidel Goat
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/19/images/tb-five.jpg

BigRedChief
01-12-2009, 08:34 AM

What I'm looking for is some relatively quick, easy recipes for dinner. The better half and I both work, so we can't spend hours and hours on prep time. We aren't gourmet cooks, but we're not retarded either. I know there are some culinary geniuses on here, so I figured I'd see what I could come up with.

Some of our staples are: Tacos, simple pasta, chicken, fajitas that type of thing.

TIA
Get the cookbooks of A Man, A Can and a Plan
http://specialchildren.about.com/od/familyissues/gr/amanacanaplan.htm

I got the A Man, a Can and a Grill one.

Idea is that you get some meat, open up a can and wham you have a meal in no time.

MOhillbilly
01-12-2009, 08:37 AM
squash,zucchini, and abit of hot breakfast sausage. cut it up and cook it up in a med skillet.

beans + rice + bread = mmmmmmmmmm

meat + fire

bkkcoh
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
4 - 5 potatoes diced
1 ld of smoked saugage cut

Brown potatoes with a little butter and cajun seasoning, when the potatoes are just about done, put cut saugage in the pan to heat up.

tooge
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Heat up a pan. Add olive oil. Add 2 chicken breasts and brown on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Dump on can of diced tomatoes and 3 cloves of garlic minced into the pan. Then shred up fresh basil and put it in as well. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. It is a healthy and very tasty chicken marinara. Serve over pasta.

Planetman
01-12-2009, 09:10 AM
http://www.healthbolt.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/dsp_luvsandwich_awwww.jpg

Ultra Peanut
01-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Tortillas are like snap, zap, bizzzow.

Chief Pote
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Chipotle

Simply Red
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I have what I call, 'white-trash chicken.' if you're interested.

bluehawkdoc
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I always make my kids eat this when the wife is gone. Brown some hamburger, drain grease and add one or two cans of the large Spaghettios. Season as you like. Serve with toast or garlic bread.

Fire Me Boy!
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I have what I call, 'white-trash chicken.' if you're interested.

Yes.... cast iron, I hope.

RJ
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
You can make an easy version of chicken cacciatore using jarred pasta sauce.

4-6 chicken thighs

Bell pepper - sliced

Mushrooms - quartered

Jar pasta sauce

Season chicken thighs with s&p and whatever else you might like. Saute in large skillet in olive oil over medium heat. When chicken begins to turn golden, add in mushrroms and bell pepper, saute until tender. Drain oil from skillet, add pasta sauce, cover, reduce heat and simmer until thighs are cooked through, probably about 20-30 minutes. Serve over whatever pasta you like with some grated cheese.

Oh, an easy addition to this is a 4 oz can of sliced black olives if there's one handy.

tooge
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes.... cast iron, I hope.

White trash chicken isn't chicken at all isssss it?

Simply Red
01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
lol, no.

but here, it's easy, not so quick though.

4 side breast fryers, skin on bone in.
1-1/2 can of Cambells Cream of Chick
2-envelopes of lipton golden onion or any onion (dried soup mix)
1/4 tsp. of parsley
little black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth/stock

**no salt** soup provides plenty

proc:
mix everything excluding chicken in large mixing bowl
spoon over rinsed chick breast inside of a large glass (sprayed w/ pam) baking dish.

for best results - bake slow and low. I prefer 285 for about two hours and 25 minutes, or thereabouts...

serve w/ rice and green beans w/ a salad of some sort...

Very good considering how easy it is.

Fire Me Boy!
01-12-2009, 10:45 AM
lol, no.

but here, it's easy, not so quick though.

4 side breast fryers, skin on bone in.
1-1/2 can of Cambells Cream of Chick
2-envelopes of lipton golden onion or any onion (dried soup mix)
1/4 tsp. of parsley
little black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth/stock

**no salt** soup provides plenty

proc:
mix everything excluding chicken in large mixing bowl
spoon over rinsed chick breast inside of a large glass (sprayed w/ pam) baking dish.

for best results - bake slow and low. I prefer 285 for about two hours and 25 minutes, or thereabouts...

serve w/ rice and green beans w/ a salad of some sort...

Very good considering how easy it is.
Wouldn't it be better for flavor/texture to brown the chicken first?

cdcox
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
One of my all time favorites, and a one-skillet meal to boot:

Spanish Rice

Dice 1 med onion and 1 green pepper
Saute in 1 T olive oil in a large skillet over med heat about 3 min.
Add 1 lb ground beef, brown over med-high heat, drain excess fat

Add:
1 cup converted rice (Uncle Ben's)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water (going by memory here and I'm not sure if this is right. If it dries out part way through, you may need another 1/2 cup)
1 T margarine

To taste (amounts listed are a good start, I go a little heavier):
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t chilli powder
1 t thyme
dash of Tabasco
salt
pepper

Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.

Buehler445
01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Nice work fellas. Thanks for all the ideas!

damaticous
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Mac -n- Cheese, Meat, and peas.

1 box of Kraft Mac and Cheese.
1 pound of fried or boiled ground beef
1 can of peas.

quick, easy, pretty good, and last a few meals.

What I ate in college.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5384265&postcount=136

Buehler445
01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Wife and I put some chicken breasts in the crockpot with BBQ sauce and started it up at lunch. Solid and freaking easy. Not gourmet, but solid.

RJ
01-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I had split pea soup from the crock pot tonight. Simple stuff.

16 oz package split peas, rinsed

1 onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, sliced thin

3 carrots, sliced thin

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 bay leaf

Small handful of chopped fresh parsley or a tablespoon of dried

2 cups diced smoked ham or sausage

About a tablespoon of salt and some pepper

6 cups hot water

Throw all the ingredients in the crock, pour the water over, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

This is pretty much a fool proof recipe for split pea soup.

BTW, for some reason the recipe I followed says not to stir before you start the cooker. I have no idea why.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Every couple of days, poach chicken breasts in canned chicken broth. Use 1 or 2 chicken breasts (or not) and the broth to make some soup. Use the rest of the chicken to make chicken salad and serve that in wraps or pita bread along with a salad and/or a microwaved veggie or 2. I like nuked sweet potatoes and nuked brocolli. Easy, cheap, filling and fast.

Keep frozen scallops in the freezer. A couple of the big ones (sea? bay? the big ones) make a serving, and they're delicious. Frozen stir-fry veggies, some rice and scallops.

luv
01-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Sprinkle skinless, boneless chicken breasts with whatever seasoning you like (cajun, garlic, lemon pepper) and wrap them loosely in aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins to an hour on a pan (drippage). While chicken is in the oven, prepare either rice or angel hair pasta according to instructions. Heat up a side of broccoli.

kstater
01-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Pan fry some chicken(I'll cut it into small bite size pieces first). Season it with whatever you want, I'll use a chipoltle marinade. After cooking, place some in some Pillsbury Crescent rolls. Roll up and top with cheese, then cook in oven. Takes about 5 minutes to cook the chicken and 10 minutes in the oven.

patteeu
01-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Mac -n- Cheese, Meat, and peas.

1 box of Kraft Mac and Cheese.
1 pound of fried or boiled ground beef
1 can of peas.

quick, easy, pretty good, and last a few meals.

What I ate in college.

Homemade hamburger helper! I don't know if that makes your college cuisine awesome or sad, by comparison to the boxed stuff.

Kclee
01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Fajita Pizza

Thin pizza crust-you can just buy the ones already packaged
Jar of salsa
Bell pepper
onion
Beef/chicken stripes-again, you can buy packaged ones
Shredded cheese-whatever kind you like, the taco or mexican style work good
Cajun seasoning

Take out pizza crust, lay on a layer of salsa, throw on a layer of cheese. Then cook up the sliced onion, bell pepper, and beef/chicken stripes with the cajun seasoning. Take all that and place it on top of the cheese. Then put another light layer of cheese on top. You can also throw some cilantro in there where ever. Either before you cook all that or fresh cilantro on top. Place it all in the oven. It doesn't have to cook all that long since everything is already cooked. Just long enough for the crust to crisp up and the cheese to melt. Maybe throw on some sour cream on top here and there once it comes out the oven.

Jilly
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Taco Bake

2 cups elbow macaroni
1 can (10.75 oz) Cheddar Cheese Soup
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup sour cream
1 lb Ground Beef
1 pkg Taco Seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or mexican blend
1 cup salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the hamburger. Cook the macaroni. When hamburger is done add the package of taco seasoning along with 3/4 cups of water. Let this mixture simmer for 5 minutes. When the macaroni is done, drain and add milk, cheddar cheese soup, and sour cream.

In a 8" square or 9" round pan, put down about half of the macaroni mixture. Layer the beef mixture on top followed by 1 cup of shredded cheese. Top with the remaining macaroni mixture. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.

Uncover dish and top with salsa and remaining cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

And EASIEST Dinner ever:

buy two packages caesar salad mix
buy one or two packages already grilled chicken strips
Mix and serve

patteeu
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Taco Bake

2 cups elbow macaroni
1 can (10.75 oz) Cheddar Cheese Soup
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup sour cream
1 lb Ground Beef
1 pkg Taco Seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or mexican blend
1 cup salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the hamburger. Cook the macaroni. When hamburger is done add the package of taco seasoning along with 3/4 cups of water. Let this mixture simmer for 5 minutes. When the macaroni is done, drain and add milk, cheddar cheese soup, and sour cream.

In a 8" square or 9" round pan, put down about half of the macaroni mixture. Layer the beef mixture on top followed by 1 cup of shredded cheese. Top with the remaining macaroni mixture. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.

Uncover dish and top with salsa and remaining cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

And EASIEST Dinner ever:

buy two packages caesar salad mix
buy one or two packages already grilled chicken strips
Mix and serve

Watch out people. Jilly's oven is apparently temperamental (or maybe just out of calibration). The last time I cooked something according to a recipe someone in that family gave me, I ended up with a rather untasty hunk of cherry flavored charcoal.

Jilly
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Watch out people. Jilly's oven is apparently temperamental (or maybe just out of calibration). The last time I cooked something according to a recipe someone in that family gave me, I ended up with a rather untasty hunk of cherry flavored charcoal.

WE GOT A NEW OVEN!!!!! IT"S SO SUPER AWESOME NOW!!!

And don't believe him, people! I am an amazing cook, Paddy O just doesn't take orders well! ;)

Baby Lee
01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Go to Trader Joes, get a package of angel hair, a jar of Puttanesca gravy and italian meatballs. Cook the pasta, boil the meatballs and nuke the gravy. Works every time. God I miss that meal.

Baby Lee
01-13-2009, 10:16 AM

patty f@cked up dump cake!!! That's right up there with burning water.

beavis
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Marking this one for future reference. Some good ideas in here.

Buehler445
03-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Anybody have any decent crock pot pot roast recipes? I tried one and it was god awful terrible.

It called for vinegar :spock:... So I tried it and sure enough, it was shit.

Any good recipes out there for pot roast?

Bugeater
03-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Anybody have any decent crock pot pot roast recipes? I tried one and it was god awful terrible.

The Mrs says she uses 1 can of beef broth, 1 packet au jus mix, and 1 packet of Italian dressing seasoning mix.

RJ
03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
This is very close to a pot roast I made a few weeks ago. I didn't have the brown gravy mix so I used one of those onion soup mixes....about the same thing, I believe. Used white instead of red wine.....cause it was there.

Spicy Wine Pot Roast Recipe

Combine a dry red wine with Dijon mustard and Worchestershire sauce in this Spicy Wine Pot Roast recipe.

What You Need
• Salt and pepper
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 (3/4-oz.) package brown gravy mix (dry)
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup dry red wine
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
• 4 pounds beef pot roast

What To Do
1. Sprinkle pot roast with salt and pepper to taste and place into crockpot.

2. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over meat.

3. Cover crockpot; cook on low setting 8-10 hours.

4. Remove meat and slice to serve.

Note: To use sauce that remains in crockpot as a gravy, thicken with flour dissolved in a little water.

mlyonsd
03-29-2009, 11:26 AM

I use a can of Campbells Beef Consomme, and 1 can beef broth. Thick slice an onion and lay some on top and some in the juice. Couple cloves of garlic, pepper, and a few bay leaves.

I do mine in the oven so I flour the roast and then brown it in the roaster first. Don't know if you'd have to do that in a crock though since you're not cooking it at 350 like in the oven.

Of course I put potatoes and carrots in the broth with it. But one thing you might want to try is doing the same thing with a rutabega. Cooked it has the texture of a potato but tastes like a cross between a carrot and cauliflower.

Then with the leftover juice I make a red wine gravy that's pretty easy and awesome.

Delano
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I do mine in the oven so I flour the roast and then brown it in the roaster first. Don't know if you'd have to do that in a crock though since you're not cooking it at 350 like in the oven.

I think it's a good idea to always brown all sides of a roast before slow-cooking in a Crockpot.

banyon
03-29-2009, 11:47 AM

TIA

I have several cookbooks from the absurdly simple to the absurdly complex, but sometimes I like easy too.

This brochure styled book from Cambell's that I own sounds like the kind of thing you are looking for:

http://www.nd.edu/~ksteinha/food/Campbell's/img/_cover.jpg

You can print out all of the recipies here:

http://www.nd.edu/~ksteinha/food/Campbell's/

My favorite is the savory beef stew (p. 18). It's easy, lasts for several days, and is pretty good in the winter.

cdcox
03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Pork roast (preferably a Boston Butt) fat side up in the crockpot, salt, pepper, and maybe 1/4 cup of water. Set on low for 7-8 hours. Since we aren't adding much liquid, it browns on the outside without browning on the stove. Really simple, but delicious.

I make gravy from the drippings.

Dayze
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
spaghetti carbonara;
we make this about once per week; very quck (about as long as it takes for 'sketti to cook) and easy to make. cheap too.
serves 2 (so adjust accordingly). you can make adjustments to taste etc as you continue to make it. we like a good amount of bacon, garlic and cheese in ours etc. Use a large skillet/pan.

1/4-1/2 pack (16oz) of spaghetti
3-5 slices of bacon
1/4-1/2 small onion chopped
1-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup shredded parasean or romano cheese
flat leaf/italian parsley: for garnish

begin boiling water for 'sketti
while that's going on, chop bacon and begin to cook bacon until crunchy. Set aside to drain; reserve about 3/4-1Tbsp of bacon grease in the pan.
cook 'sketti al-dente; drain/set aside. drizzle some olive oil an toss. Set aside.

in same pan you cooked bacon in (don't clean it), add about 3/4-1Tbsp of olive oil; add onions. Cook on medium and cover until onions are translucent etc

Add garlic; cook about 1 minute

add bacon and 'sketti. add more olive oil if needed to prevent noodles from sketti. Toss to mix ingredients.

add beaten egg (cook on med heat. ). continually toss until egg is 'set' on the noodles. (add on the 'top' of the pile of noodles, then toss constantly until set. otherwise you have big pieces of egg; which is fine with me but if you have picky eaters who don't like egg like my wife....etc. )

Lastly, add about 1/4-1/2 cup of the shredded parmasean/romano ; toss quickly.

Serve immediately.
Garnish with flat leaf/Italian parsley. you can shredd up some more cheese up-front and garnish as well.

Enjoy.

keg in kc
03-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Quick and easy to me means no prep, no cooking and no cleaning up after.

So soup and/or salad pretty much does it. Anything else is too much effort.

mlyonsd
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Especially if you have chili, you can just open it up and eat it out of the can.

Dayze
03-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Beef Strokin' off.
Put in the crock:
get about 1.5-2lbs of stew meat (cut into small chunks if you want)
2 packages of dry onion soup mix
can of beef broth
1 stick of butter

cook on low 6-8 hrs; or if you're in a pinch, 4-6hrs on high.

Careful; first few times we made this we 'thought' the meat was done (based on normal 'doneness' temp etc); but the trick is to let it simmer/brine etc to tender up. Add beef broth as needed etc. usually 1 can does the trick.
Serve on top of egg noodles, and add sour cream etc to taste.

DJ's left nut
03-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Probably not what you're looking for, but KISS works with roasts (assuming you're cooking in a crock pot).

Just a little bit of water in the bottom, maybe an inch or two. The fat that melts out of the roast will provide enough liquid. Throw in some carrots, onions and potatos with maybe a little bit of garlic powder.

Ultimately it's what you put on the roast after it's cooked that makes the biggest difference, IMO.

Dayze
03-29-2009, 12:23 PM

what the hell else do you eat? :D

I highly recommend "Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food".
those recipes are killer, quick, cheap etc. Very minimal effort; particularly considering the great taste you get from them.

Bugeater
03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Beef Strokin' off.
Put in the crock:
get about 1.5-2lbs of stew meat (cut into small chunks if you want)
2 packages of dry onion soup mix
can of beef broth
1 stick of butter

cook on low 6-8 hrs; or if you're in a pinch, 4-6hrs on high.

Careful; first few times we made this we 'thought' the meat was done (based on normal 'doneness' temp etc); but the trick is to let it simmer/brine etc to tender up. Add beef broth as needed etc. usually 1 can does the trick.
Serve on top of egg noodles, and add sour cream etc to taste.
Oh yeah, that's something we do occasionally as well, definitely a winner.

Pioli Zombie
03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm slowly roasting two stray dogs I found. they had nametags that said dunit35 whatever that means.
Posted via Mobile Device

speak24
03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.a-crock-cook.com/
http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/
http://www.crock-pot.com/Recipes.aspx
These are a few web sites I use to get recipe ideas. Prep time 5-20 minutes most recipes 6 to 8 hours later you are done. Over night or at work during the day.

luv
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Tonight, I'm making chicken lasagna. Precooked noodles, marinara sauce, ground chicken, and fat free ricotta cheese. Add a few spices, put it together, bake it, and I'm good to go.

Jilly
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Pot roast is a little tricky in the crock pot.... definitely have to brown it up on both sides in some butter....then just put it in the crock pot with some water, some of the lipton onion soup mix, and let it cook on low.... it should be okay, maybe toward the middle of cooking it, add some potatoes and carrots.

Buehler445
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Pot roast is a little tricky in the crock pot.... definitely have to brown it up on both sides in some butter....then just put it in the crock pot with some water, some of the lipton onion soup mix, and let it cook on low.... it should be okay, maybe toward the middle of cooking it, add some potatoes and carrots.

So you're telling me it is easier in the oven?

I figured it would be pretty easy in the crock pot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Abba-Dabba
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Ready in 15mins. Ghetto alfredo

box of pasta, boiled, preferably w/o the box

1 pint heavy cream
1 stick butter
2 to 3 garlic cloves minced(according to your own taste)
1/2 cup dry parmesan
pinch of salt
dash of ground black pepper

melt butter in skillet
Add heavy cream, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper
simmer for 8mins

Can't get much more simple, quick and easy than this.

I like to have bread to dip in olive oil with greek herbs on the side, or a small italian salad.

BryanBusby
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Here's something pretty easy and rather good too.

Ingredients:
Pork shoulder (I usually get one around 3 lbs)
Salt
Brown Sugar
worschire sauce

Easy list to get that any lazy ass could gather.

Steps:
-Remove roast from the package (duh)
-Coat the roast with Brown Sugar
-Dump the roast on the crock pot and dump in enough sauce to coat the roast and leave a smallish pool around said roast.
-Cook on low for 8-10 hours or whenever you feel it's done
-When it's done, pull it out and shred it up. While doing so, salt it up.
-You are now done you lazy son of a bitch!

I like making this as its good for dinner with a few easy and quick to make side items. Whatever is left, I usually coat it in BBQ sauce and have pulled pork sandwiches for lunch the next day.

Bugeater
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
Jilly is smoking crack, my wife throws it right in without browning it, with the ingredients I previously listed, and it turns out great.

Delano
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Here's something pretty easy and rather good too.

Ingredients:
Pork shoulder (I usually get one around 3 lbs)
Salt
Brown Sugar
worschire sauce

Easy list to get that any lazy ass could gather.

Steps:
-Remove roast from the package (duh)
-Coat the roast with Brown Sugar
-Dump the roast on the crock pot and dump in enough sauce to coat the roast and leave a smallish pool around said roast.
-Cook on low for 8-10 hours or whenever you feel it's done
-When it's done, pull it out and shred it up. While doing so, salt it up.
-You are now done you lazy son of a bitch!

I like making this as its good for dinner with a few easy and quick to make side items. Whatever is left, I usually coat it in BBQ sauce and have pulled pork sandwiches for lunch the next day.

Is the bolded sauce merely an ass load of Worcestershire Sauce?

CoMoChief
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
GRILLED CHEESE And TOMATO SOUP

blaise
04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
GRILLED CHEESE And TOMATO SOUP

Grilled cheese & tomato soup is solid.
Especially when some of the cheese gets burned.

BryanBusby
04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Is the bolded sauce merely an ass load of Worcestershire Sauce?
Yeah. I just pop the top off the bottle and have at it.

Skip Towne
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Those aren't really blueberries in those muffins.

mlyonsd
04-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

What's the difference other than time?

Pioli Zombie
04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Spam and Eggs
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Heh, I have to admit tonight I made Cheesy Hashbrown Hamburger Helper and it wasn't bad. I'd switch out the hamburger for sausage next time though.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
The other day I made myself what basically amounted to Greek stir-fry. Cooked some thin-sliced chicken in olive oil with Greek seasoning and lemon juice, then when it was done I turned off the heat and sprinkled in some feta cheese. Ate it with a Stouffer's microwave spinach souffle which complemented it perfectly. Very tasty, took about 10 minutes actual time and about five minutes of actual work.

Gracie Dean
04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Velveeta Shells and cheese one tbls miracle whip one pack frozen peas one can tuna drained

mix serve

mmmm good

can vary with hamburger and tomatoes or chicken and broccoli

the Talking Can
04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
buy a roast chicken
cook pasta, whatever you like, i like penne
shred chicken

toss chicken with pasta, olive oil, and cheese (preferably fresh Parmesan and not the green tin stuff, goat cheese is really good as well) and fresh black pepper

10 mins start to finish....fresh and tasty

add sauteed vegetables and herbs if you want to spend a bit more (time and money)

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
buy a roast chicken
cook pasta, whatever you like
shred chicken

toss chicken with pasta, olive oil, and cheese (preferably fresh Parmesan and not the green tin stuff) and fresh black pepper

add sauteed vegetables and herbs if you want to spend a bit more

we do stuff with the rotisserie chicken all the time, my wife actually uses it in a chicken fettucine casserole, pretty good too

CHENZ A!
04-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Anything in the crock pot is super simple, just plan a day ahead. I made some Carnitas in the crock pot today and they'll be done in like an hour. Went and bought some fresh tortillas from Ninfa's(best tortillas in the city), made some homemade salsa, and guacamole. It's Corona and basketball time.:BLVD:PBJ

the Talking Can
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
we do stuff with the rotisserie chicken all the time, my wife actually uses it in a chicken fettucine casserole, pretty good too

ultimate time saver...use it a dozen ways...

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Anything in the crock pot is super simple, just plan a day ahead. I made some Carnitas in the crock pot today and they'll be done in like an hour. Went and bought some fresh tortillas from Ninfa's(best tortillas in the city), made some homemade salsa, and guacamole. It's Corona and basketball time.:BLVD:PBJ

ninfa's on kansas ave?

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
ultimate time saver...use it a dozen ways...

FOR SURE

CHENZ A!
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
ninfa's on kansas ave?

Yep, I am addicted to their tortillas. Always go there first then to San Antonio's for salsa, and carne asada, sometimes chicarones(sp?).

Gracie Dean
04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Hobo meals

Buy a package of frozen burger patties

get squares of alumim. foil

put one pattie
slices of onion
slices of potato
slices of carrots

salt and pepper to taste. WE like a lot of pepper

wrap up and bake till burger/potato is cooked 350 degrees

can make 1 or 10 depending on how many or little you need. Makes for good lunches the next day as well

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Yep, I am addicted to their tortillas. Always go there first then to San Antonio's for salsa, and carne asada, sometimes chicarones(sp?).

i grew up blocks from there lived there 24 years, my old man still lives in the same house. i miss the old neighborhood. well sometimes.:D

KCChiefsMan
04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I like to make quesadillas. 2 flour tortillas, fill it up with cheddar jack chz, a can of rotel and add whatever meat you fancy. Just make them on a frying pan and cut them up and maybe throw some sour cream on the side. Good, easy and cheap too.

tonyetony
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
buy a roast chicken
cook pasta, whatever you like, i like penne
shred chicken

toss chicken with pasta, olive oil, and cheese (preferably fresh Parmesan and not the green tin stuff, goat cheese is really good as well) and fresh black pepper

add sauteed vegetables and herbs if you want to spend a bit more (time and money)

I do this but I make up some pesto out of the packet with real butter and throw it in also. You can eat it for days.

TrebMaxx
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Corn beef in a crock pot.
1 corn beef
1 jar of sauerkraut
1 can of beef broth
Toss in some potatoes (enough for one meal)

Throw it all in there in the morning and let cook on low while at work.
Eat corn beef, potatoes and sauerkraut the first night.
Get some rye bread and thousand island dressing for the second night or lunch. Use leftover beef and kraut and make Rubens.

Gracie Dean
04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
1 corn beef
1 jar of sauerkraut
1 can of beef broth

Get some rye bread and thousand island dressing for the second night or lunch. Use leftover beef and kraut and make Rubens.

sounds great

KcMizzou
04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
1 corn beef
1 jar of sauerkraut
1 can of beef broth

Get some rye bread and thousand island dressing for the second night or lunch. Use leftover beef and kraut and make Rubens.I'm gonna have to try that. Sounds really good.

Gracie Dean
04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
okay, not to sound crazy, but I have never bought corn beef is it frozen? where do you find it in the store?

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
okay, not to sound crazy, but I have never bought corn beef is it frozen? where do you find it in the store?

meat section, comes with seasonings IIRC(been a while)

Gracie Dean
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
meat section, comes with seasonings IIRC(been a while)

frozen or fresh? is it wrapped or canned?

what does it look like?

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 07:09 PM

what does it look like?

i could be wrong, but i thought it looked somewhat like a brisket and seasonings wrapped with it, fresh wrapped in cling wrap. but like i said that might be wrong

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 07:09 PM

what does it look like?

they probably have it canned too

Gracie Dean
04-06-2009, 07:12 PM
i could be wrong, but i thought it looked somewhat like a brisket and seasonings wrapped with it, fresh wrapped in cling wrap. but like i said that might be wrong

oh okay...thanks

SAUTO
04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
oh okay...thanks

google it:D

Bugeater
04-06-2009, 07:38 PM

what does it look like?
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4848161/CornedBeefSpicePacket_Full.jpg

cdcox
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4848161/CornedBeefSpicePacket_Full.jpg

Yep, in a cryovac. You'll find it very near all the other beef.

RJ
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
And another thing.....

Omelets.

If you are cooking for one or two, you gotta learn omelet. Versatile, nutritious, economical and delicious, most civilized folks could throw together an omelet with a couple of eggs and whatever happens to be in the fridge.

Got ham and cheese? Leftover Chinese? Leftover vegetables? A little pizza sauce? A bell pepper and an onion? Chili?

Seriously, omelets are limited only by your imagination. Try one for dinner, maybe with some fried taters or a salad, it will probably become part of the regular dinner rotation.

cdcox
04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
And another thing.....

Omelets.

If you are cooking for one or two, you gotta learn omelet. Versatile, nutritious, economical and delicious, most civilized folks could throw together an omelet with a couple of eggs and whatever happens to be in the fridge.

Got ham and cheese? Leftover Chinese? Leftover vegetables? A little pizza sauce? A bell pepper and an onion? Chili?

Seriously, omelets are limited only by your imagination. Try one for dinner, maybe with some fried taters or a salad, it will probably become part of the regular dinner rotation.

+1

In my current version, I've been making hash browns in the skillet. When they are done, I push them to one side and scramble some eggs in the empty spot. Once the eggs are 3/4ths cooked, I throw in some tiny cubed cheddar and ham and mix it all together. You don't want to mix uncooked eggs and the hash browns though, because it will make the potatoes soggy.

I like mine with catsup.

cdcox
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
This is an easy but great recipe for Mexican rice. It goes perfectly with any Mexican meal:

Put 3 T oil in a skillet.
Add 1 cup long grain rice and cook until puffed and golden over medium heat.
Add 1/2 onion and a clove or two of garlic, chopped. Cook until the onion is soft.
Add 1 cup green salsa (verde). Cook about 1 min.
Add 2 cups canned chicken broth. Bring to boil, then turn to low, cover and cook for 30 min.

I serve this with tequila chicken (nice subtle flavor):

Marinade:
2 T lime juice
1/4 cup tequila
1 T oil
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Marinade chicken pieces about an hour (thighs work well with this). Grill.

This meal takes a little planning and time, but it's not difficult and well worth the effort.

cdcox
04-06-2009, 10:32 PM
If you have any leftover cooked pork from a crock pot pork roast, these enchiladas are simple and delicious.

1. Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add chopped cooked pork. Season with oregano. Heat through.

2. Lay a line of the hot pork in a flour tortilla. Top with a line of green (verde) salsa. Roll and place in a greased baking pan. Repeat until the pork is gone and the baking pan is full.

3. Pour more of the verde salsa over the enchiladas. Enough to moisten all of the tortillas. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so.

4. Add some Moterey jack cheese over the enchiladas. Recover and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.

EAT and tell me how good these are. Verde salsa is the bomb.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I love Indian food. And I think I have discovered pretty much the best thing ever:

http://i.imgur.com/F3LHS.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

http://i.imgur.com/sFNtR.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

These are pre-made spice mixes. I discovered them at an Indian grocery store, got online and started looking for more. They must have 15 different varieties. Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken, Chicken Makhani, Rogan Josh, even side dishes like Dum Aloo (curried potatoes). They have a spice mix for a rub so you can make your own Tandoori BBQ chicken. There's stuff I haven't even heard of before let alone tasted.

They only cost 2 bucks a pouch. You mix with water and yogurt (in some cases) and pour over chicken or lamb or whatever, that you have browned. I like to put in the spice while the meat is browning and then dump the water in with the yogurt. It takes less than 30 minutes.

I didn't expect much but they are AMAZING. They taste just as good as the stuff I eat at buffets around here. One package makes about three plates. The only thing I had to "fix" was making the sauce a bit thicker by adding a little corn starch mixed with water.

I literally bought 11 packages of this stuff yesterday. I love indian food so much and now I can make it myself, easily! I'm stoked.

Bought some frozen tandoori naan (the brand I get is really light and flaky and air-filled, just like the kind I get in restaurants) and together they really make a great meal:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2iw6o20.jpg

Here's a link:

http://www.ishopindian.com/sanjeev-...e-up-c-106.html (http://www.ishopindian.com/sanjeev-kapoors-khazana-brand-title-up-c-106.html)

What I'd really like to find is a bulk distributor so I can buy a carton of these little pouches of heaven. http://i.somethingawful.com/images/emot-dance.gif

38yrsfan
03-19-2010, 12:43 PM
When it's me and the kids we do campfire food:

Put cut up fried potatoes in a bowl with chili on top with bacon or sliced hot dogs added on top. Ready in 10 minutes with very little cleanup. I put cheese and onion on mine also, simple yet tasty.

:)

MOhillbilly
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
And another thing.....

Omelets.

i like hog brains in an omelet but am afraid of spongiform encephalitis.